HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Jeff Marek: Major NHL Media Personality will be poached by new Fox network

Old
05-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Green Blob*

vCash: 500
Huge Blow to TSN

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Absolutely despicable. This sums up everything I hate about America and American hockey.
Quote:
That you poached talent. It's low and immoral.
Quote:
I wouldn't go that far.

Poor business practices that are popular don't mean they're right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
You seriously think it's low and immoral to offer someone better pay to come to your company?

It's very highly likely you will accept an offer like this at some point in your life.
Quote:
In this context, it sure is. And I've made a point of not jumping ship for salary. It wasn't that long ago that loyalty to a company was highly regarded.
jiggly is very big on canadiana guys. He feels strongly about this country and I respect this. To him it is much more then hockey, its Canada's best period going to the US for more money again.

Having said that I agree with you guys...where would you be 1 million in LA or 200k T-dot I think we all know the answer. Canada simply does not offer the same opportunities.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I would be so disappointed if Cuthbert ever left Canada. He's been one of the best play-by-play announcers in the country for over twenty-five years. One of the voices of Hockey Night in Canada in the 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s, voice of the NHL on TSN since the lockout, CTV's primary Olympic hockey play-by-play man, and the voice of the CFL for the past decade.
He's the best hockey play-by-play guy in the business, bar none.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
As I've stated on other boards about this situation, I don't feel Jay and Dan appeal to the mainstream TSN audience, which is probably similar to the ESPN mainstream audience. If FS1 is going to try to beat ESPN by being "not ESPN" then hiring guys like Jay and Dan makes a lot of sense.
I see no reason why there is any truth to this statement. Given the reaction to these guys leaving, it's pretty obvious Jay and Dan appealed to the mainstream TSN audience. They're different than ESPN because ESPN has awful anchours who take their job too seriously, or try too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
He's the best hockey play-by-play guy in the business, bar none.
He's getting up there in years so I doubt he leaves now but Canada has had a habit of their best broadcasters moving to the US. Gord Miller does a tonne of work for NBC, he might leave full time soon, Pierre McGuire left, and a few years ago arguably the best North American sports play-by-play man, Dan Shulman left Canada full time for ESPN.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Alain Racette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I see no reason why there is any truth to this statement. Given the reaction to these guys leaving, it's pretty obvious Jay and Dan appealed to the mainstream TSN audience. They're different than ESPN because ESPN has awful anchours who take their job too seriously, or try too hard.

He's getting up there in years so I doubt he leaves now but Canada has had a habit of their best broadcasters moving to the US. Gord Miller does a tonne of work for NBC, he might leave full time soon, Pierre McGuire left, and a few years ago arguably the best North American sports play-by-play man, Dan Shulman left Canada full time for ESPN.
I will be SO PISSED if Gord Miller is the one poached! Next to Cuthbert, Miller is one of the best PBPs in hockey broadcasting today.

Not sure about anyone else, but I loved the Miller/Maguire combination on TSN. Maguire was a bit nutty, but I'm sure part of it was a persona. I mean, who didn't get a kick out of "HE'S A MONSTER!!!"?

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
Lol CTV and TSN are both part of Bell that was not poaching lol
Ah, but he ran out on his job for more money... leaving behind the people in Edmonton who had given him his job. The point is, where's the cutoff and how is it an American issue?

Blame Canadian talent for not wanting to take less to live in Canada. The cognitive dissonance required for people to get annoyed over this and then watch nothing but American made TV and film is sort of astonishing.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:55 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post
I will be SO PISSED if Gord Miller is the one poached! Next to Cuthbert, Miller is one of the best PBPs in hockey broadcasting today.

Not sure about anyone else, but I loved the Miller/Maguire combination on TSN. Maguire was a bit nutty, but I'm sure part of it was a persona. I mean, who didn't get a kick out of "HE'S A MONSTER!!!"?

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 03:40 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
I wouldn't go that far.

Poor business practices that are popular don't mean they're right.
Its not your money why do you care?

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote