HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Stalberg vs Bickell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2013, 10:09 AM
  #1
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,239
vCash: 500
Stalberg vs Bickell

Oiler fan here, just curious which one of these guys you keep, as well as for how much. Also, what would you want for negotiating rights at the draft if you know you're not going to re-sign one? What if both said they want to go UFA? ANH 2nd for both? EDM 5th for one? I'm thinking each one gets at least 2.5mil per, maybe 3. Any insight would be nice.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:37 AM
  #2
Ujjy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
I think most of the responses will be 50/50. Stalberg has the speed, Bickell has the size, but they both have grit. If neither gets signed, we have some guys down in the AHL who can enter the lineup like Morin, Hayes, Pirri, and Smith. As for the rights stuff, I'm horrible with trades so I'll stay out of it.

Ujjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:46 AM
  #3
TheDoorDoctor
Registered User
 
TheDoorDoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
I would rather bickell personally, no one can match stalbergs speed but bickell is more consistent. Stalberg disappears to often.

TheDoorDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:55 AM
  #4
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 772
Both.

Dump Frolik and Bolland - PROFIT!

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:21 AM
  #5
sketch22
Registered User
 
sketch22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,241
vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I'm thinking each one gets at least 2.5mil per, maybe 3. Any insight would be nice.
Bickell might sign around there. Stalberg should get quite a bit more. A 6'3", 20 goal winger, with blazing speed. He will get top 6 money from some team. I would be extremely surprised if he signed for less than 4 mil. I'm thinking he gets around 4.5 - 5 mil for 3-4 years.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:40 AM
  #6
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,620
vCash: 500
I would keep Stalberg of the two - a better and more valuable player. I find Bickell totally replaceable - and would rather just bring someone up from our system than to waste any cap space on Bickell.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:09 PM
  #7
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C
 
Judrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 2,337
vCash: 500
I would do as someone above said. Get rid of Bolland...yet another wasted year from him. If I had to choose, it would be Stalberg quite easily.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:14 PM
  #8
stingo
Registered User
 
stingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,817
vCash: 500
Stalberg.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:25 PM
  #9
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 500
I love the idea of moving Bolland and Frolik, buying out Montador and Olesz. Keep Our third line together and promote guys from Rockford.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:50 PM
  #10
LandofLincoln
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Oiler fan here, just curious which one of these guys you keep, as well as for how much. Also, what would you want for negotiating rights at the draft if you know you're not going to re-sign one? What if both said they want to go UFA? ANH 2nd for both? EDM 5th for one? I'm thinking each one gets at least 2.5mil per, maybe 3. Any insight would be nice.
There are several directions Chicago could go. If Chicago parts ways with Bolland & Frolik they could keep both Stalberg & Bickell.

I expect Stalberg to be gone. Stalberg's range is 4 million a season. Regardless of what Kopecky made Stalberg is minimum 3.5 a season low side. I think Chicago would have to offer 3.5 to keep him and they will not offer that. He might be able to squeeze a 4 year deal 4.25 for 4 years = 17 million but not coming from Chicago.


Offering a 5th is crazy. Troy Brouwer got Chicago a first rounder. Stalberg is worth a very high 2nd round pick if not low first rounder. I was actually thinking if Chicago moved their 1st rounder and Stalberg together they would be picking between 7th-10th in round one.


I think Bickell will sign a three year deal something like 2.5, 2.75, 2.75 to stay with the Hawks. 8 million for 3 years. He should test the market just to keep the Hawks honest.

Bickell is worth a high 3rd rounder.


Last edited by LandofLincoln: 05-05-2013 at 12:55 PM.
LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:53 PM
  #11
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 500
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Brandon Saad ($0.894m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.578m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Viktor Stalberg ($3.750m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.501m) / Bryan Bickell ($3.500m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Ben Smith ($0.563m) / Jeremy Morin ($0.887m)
Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) / Brandon Pirri ($0.870m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.383m)
Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m) / Nick Leddy ($2.750m)
Adam Clendening ($0.925m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
OTHER
Buyout: Rostislav Olesz ($0.000m)
Buyout: Steve Montador ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.089% of upper limit)
Michael Frolik ($0.023mó1.0%) Dave Bolland ($0.034mó1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,586,878; BONUSES: $510,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,223,122

Have to add a low cost goalie

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:54 PM
  #12
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 500
That screwed my roster up, but those are the players

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:58 PM
  #13
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,336
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
There are several directions Chicago could go. If Chicago parts ways with Bolland & Frolik they could keep both Stalberg & Bickell.

I expect Stalberg to be gone. Stalberg's range is 4 million a season. Regardless of what Kopecky made Stalberg is minimum 3.5 a season low side. I think Chicago would have to offer 3.5 to keep him and they will not offer that. He might be able to squeeze a 4 year deal 4.25 for 4 years = 17 million but not coming from Chicago.


Offering a 5th is crazy. Troy Brouwer got Chicago a first rounder. Stalberg is worth a very high 2nd round pick if not low first rounder. I was actually thinking if Chicago moved their 1st rounder and Stalberg together they would be picking between 7th-10th in round one.


I think Bickell will sign a three year deal something like 2.5, 2.75, 2.75 to stay with the Hawks. 8 million for 3 years. He should test the market just to keep the Hawks honest.

Bickell is worth a high 3rd rounder.
Brouwer was a RFA...

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
  #14
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 100,858
vCash: 340
Hawks cant afford to invest 3M+ in 3rd liners on long contracts going forward with cap and depth in system

If the Hawks try to keep one of them then it should be Bickell because of physical game

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:02 PM
  #15
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,336
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I'd be very wary of giving a guy with commitment issues a long term deal.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:03 PM
  #16
zac
Registered User
 
zac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I love the idea of moving Bolland and Frolik, buying out Montador and Olesz. Keep Our third line together and promote guys from Rockford.
I agree with much of what you said above and I'd also be looking hard to shop Seabrook before his value deteriorates. For most of the last 3+ seasons he has not played near the level of a 5.8 million dollar a year defensmen. I'm not as up to date on pending UFAs and spend even less time trying to find viable trade partners but I'd at least see what's out there. I'd also throw Sharp out there as well, but more from a feeler perspective. If someone makes a stupendous offer I'd move on it, if not hold on to him. But for me Bolland, Seabrook, and Carcillo should be moved (or bought out/demoted in Carcillo's case) if at all possible.

As to the OP's question I'd take Stalberg and it's not even close. Speed is unparalleled, but he's made profound leaps in defensive aptitude, puck carrying skills, and cycling abilities that really make him an invaluable player. He's still not very good at corralling great passes and turning them into goals, but his shot is also much better than it was when he got here. Not only do I think Stalberg's a better player now, but I also think he can continue to improve moreso than Bickell. He'll be the rare case of a player that enters his prime in his late 20s, and due to his gamebreaking speed, will prolong his prime into his 30s. Right now he's easily a 2nd line talent that can play on all three lines, depending on the personnel (if a team needs a sniper on the top line Vik does not fit the bill).

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:06 PM
  #17
LandofLincoln
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Brouwer was a RFA...


Good point about UFA's not sure what they can get. Might have to be a sign and trade type scenario. It just seems wrong to get a 5th for Stalberg and I think Stan can figure out a way to get more. I hope?

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:08 PM
  #18
zac
Registered User
 
zac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Hawks cant afford to invest 3M+ in 3rd liners on long contracts going forward with cap and depth in system

If the Hawks try to keep one of them then it should be Bickell because of physical game
Just because he plays there (much like Ladd) doesn't mean that he's a 3rd line player.

Barring some unforeseen development, resign Stalberg and put him on the 2nd line (where he now belongs). Move Sharp to center, and have Kane on the right wing. Stalberg's speed and cycling prowess along with Kane's vision and Sharp's shot should make for a lethal line (not to mention we wouldn't need him to snipe on that line). Let Shaw remain on the 3rd line, and promote from within to round it out.

There's definitely going to be a contract limit that dictates whether or not an extension is feasible, but if we CAN make it work without totally dicking our selves then I think we do it. If we let Vik walk without making a true effort on resigning him I think we'd regret it for a long time.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:12 PM
  #19
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,336
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Good point about UFA's not sure what they can get. Might have to be a sign and trade type scenario. It just seems wrong to get a 5th for Stalberg and I think Stan can figure out a way to get more. I hope?
If we let either walk and we get a fifth I'd be happy. Sign and trades? This isn't the NBA.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:17 PM
  #20
LandofLincoln
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I agree with much of what you said above and I'd also be looking hard to shop Seabrook before his value deteriorates. For most of the last 3+ seasons he has not played near the level of a 5.8 million dollar a year defensmen. I'm not as up to date on pending UFAs and spend even less time trying to find viable trade partners but I'd at least see what's out there. I'd also throw Sharp out there as well, but more from a feeler perspective. If someone makes a stupendous offer I'd move on it, if not hold on to him. But for me Bolland, Seabrook, and Carcillo should be moved (or bought out/demoted in Carcillo's case) if at all possible.

As to the OP's question I'd take Stalberg and it's not even close. Speed is unparalleled, but he's made profound leaps in defensive aptitude, puck carrying skills, and cycling abilities that really make him an invaluable player. He's still not very good at corralling great passes and turning them into goals, but his shot is also much better than it was when he got here. Not only do I think Stalberg's a better player now, but I also think he can continue to improve moreso than Bickell. He'll be the rare case of a player that enters his prime in his late 20s, and due to his gamebreaking speed, will prolong his prime into his 30s. Right now he's easily a 2nd line talent that can play on all three lines, depending on the personnel (if a team needs a sniper on the top line Vik does not fit the bill).
Finally someone has the stones to say they would consider shopping Seabrook. Seabrook, Bolland, Stalberg to Boston for David Krejci and Dougie Hamilton

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:19 PM
  #21
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,773
vCash: 500
I'd keep Bickell, 10 times out of 10. He's not as liable defensively, and if he's not scoring, he can still provide grit. When Stalberg's not scoring, he's not doing much of anything. Very few players can skate as fast as him, so I don't even see a point in brining up his speed. Just because his speed isn't replaceable, doesn't mean he's not.

For next year, I'd go with:

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - LeBlanc - Kane
Bickell - Bolland - Morin
Shaw - Kruger - Smith
Bollig/Carcillo

Keith - Hammer
Leddy - Seabrook
Oduya - Brookbank
Stanton

Crawford
UFA/Emery

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:22 PM
  #22
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I agree with much of what you said above and I'd also be looking hard to shop Seabrook before his value deteriorates. For most of the last 3+ seasons he has not played near the level of a 5.8 million dollar a year defensmen. I'm not as up to date on pending UFAs and spend even less time trying to find viable trade partners but I'd at least see what's out there. I'd also throw Sharp out there as well, but more from a feeler perspective. If someone makes a stupendous offer I'd move on it, if not hold on to him. But for me Bolland, Seabrook, and Carcillo should be moved (or bought out/demoted in Carcillo's case) if at all possible.

As to the OP's question I'd take Stalberg and it's not even close. Speed is unparalleled, but he's made profound leaps in defensive aptitude, puck carrying skills, and cycling abilities that really make him an invaluable player. He's still not very good at corralling great passes and turning them into goals, but his shot is also much better than it was when he got here. Not only do I think Stalberg's a better player now, but I also think he can continue to improve moreso than Bickell. He'll be the rare case of a player that enters his prime in his late 20s, and due to his gamebreaking speed, will prolong his prime into his 30s. Right now he's easily a 2nd line talent that can play on all three lines, depending on the personnel (if a team needs a sniper on the top line Vik does not fit the bill).
Dah ****?

No, seriously.. Dah ****?

Seabrook has a "poor" year, and now all of a sudden he's been bad for most of the past 3 years? Are you kidding me? It was just last year that people on this board were saying Seabrook, not Keith, was the Hawks best Dman. I don't even..

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:50 PM
  #23
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 100,858
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I'd keep Bickell, 10 times out of 10. He's not as liable defensively, and if he's not scoring, he can still provide grit. When Stalberg's not scoring, he's not doing much of anything. Very few players can skate as fast as him, so I don't even see a point in brining up his speed. Just because his speed isn't replaceable, doesn't mean he's not.

For next year, I'd go with:

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - LeBlanc - Kane
Bickell - Bolland - Morin
Shaw - Kruger - Smith
Bollig/Carcillo

Keith - Hammer
Leddy - Seabrook
Oduya - Brookbank
Stanton

Crawford
UFA/Emery
What on earth has Leblanc done to warrant being given the #2 C role?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:52 PM
  #24
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 100,858
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Finally someone has the stones to say they would consider shopping Seabrook. Seabrook, Bolland, Stalberg to Boston for David Krejci and Dougie Hamilton
Bruins would laugh hanging up phone

Bolland has negative value at this point and Stalberg is UFA

They aren't giving up there #1 C + best young dman for Seabrook

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:07 PM
  #25
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
What on earth has Leblanc done to warrant being given the #2 C role?
As opposed to, what on earth has Pirri done? One won the AHL scoring title, then looked bad in their NHL game. The other won the Hobey Baker, and looked good in their NHL games.

LeBlanc's older, stronger, better defensively. If Pirri wins the spot, he wins the spot, but I think LeBlanc will, so I put him there.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.