HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Official 2013 Draft Thread

Old
05-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Alklha

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Not a chance he falls to the 49th pick overall... none.
To be fair, he did say that a few weeks before we traded our pick for Bouwmesster.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Bluesnatic27

Okay, so are considering how late our pick is in the draft, do we try and get a centre to fill our prospect hole, or do you guys think we're just going try and go BPA?

Even though this draft is very centre heavy, it doesn't seem like there are going to be any top six guys left where we're picking. Considering that our defense is pretty set for the next few years and God knows we don't need anymore wingers, what do you guys think we are going to do with the pick?

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:36 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
Okay, so are considering how late our pick is in the draft, do we try and get a centre to fill our prospect hole, or do you guys think we're just going try and go BPA?

Even though this draft is very centre heavy, it doesn't seem like there are going to be any top six guys left where we're picking. Considering that our defense is pretty set for the next few years and God knows we don't need anymore wingers, what do you guys think we are going to do with the pick?
I am of the belief that you always draft BPA. Even if that guy is another winger, or RHD like last year, get the best possible prospect you can get. If they push for a roster spot, and are forced out due to a numbers game, trade them(or the player blocking them) to fill the holes. Drafting by need usually fails.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:00 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
BPA definitely. Who knows what the team will look like by the time the prospect will be NHL ready.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The last time we picked 46 we got Joel Edmundson. EDIT: Whoops, we pick 47th. Still, that statement is true! The last time we picked 46 we DID get Joel Edmundson heh.

The last time our first pick was later in the second round our first selection was David Backes.

This draft is deep like the 2011 Edmundson draft but probably not quite like the 2003 draft.

Last edited by PocketNines: 05-05-2013 at 03:29 PM.
PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:20 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
For me it's pretty hard to get to excited about this draft without a 1st round pick. I'd personally look for a boom or bust guy that is most likely NCAA bound.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Alklha

Quote:

Almost always BPA. I won't say always because I think there are rare scenarios that things change a little.

However, I think that there will be some impressive players available at the end of the second and start of the third. I mentioned them earlier, but John Hayden and Marko Daňo both look good. Hayden was 6'3 & 210 as a 17 year old, and impressive on the ice. Always wonder just how much that kind of physical advantage helps his game at that level, and how much will disappear when the others catch up a little size wise. His size though, I'm pretty sure that someone will gamble on him before we pick.

Daňo is about 5'10 and 180, has some speed but is more about his positional play, stick work and intelligence. I see him more as an early third round type pick, but wouldn't be disappointed with him.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
Steenroller

vCash: 1075
I'm all for taking a BPA. Doubt Lipon will be there.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
I'm all for taking a BPA. Doubt Lipon will be there.
I would be shocked if Lipon wasn't on the board when we pick. I wouldn't be using a second round pick on him though, 4th is probably the earliest I'd be picking him.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:46 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Ryan Kujawinski?

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Ryan Kujawinski?
If he's still on the board, I would definitely try jump on him based on what I've red. Sounds like another kind of TJ Oshie centremen, and everyone loves those two-way guys.

But then again, this is what I've red, so I could be totally wrong.

Also, I'm kind of interested in Laurent Dauphin, mostly because of some scouts I saw raving about him and his puck skills. I know he's a small guy, but people have had him ranked in the top 20-25 on some lists. If anyone has seen him play firsthand, I would like to hear their reports.

Last edited by Bluesnatic27: 05-05-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:40 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
If he's still on the board, I would definitely try jump on him based on what I've red. Sounds like another kind of TJ Oshie centremen, and everyone loves those two-way guys.

But then again, this is what I've red, so I could be totally wrong.

Also, I'm kind of interested in Laurent Dauphin, mostly because of some scouts I saw raving about him and his puck skills. I know he's a small guy, but people have had him ranked in the top 20-25 on some lists. If anyone has seen him play firsthand, I would like to hear their reports.
I've never heard of dauphin but im sure ur right... I would love to see us grab KUJ. seems like a perfect fit... Also hope we sign Austin Czarnik as an undrafted free agent out of Miami Ohio in a year or two

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:08 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:

BPA.

This isn't the NBA or NFL. Most guys aren't going to see the NHL for a few seasons at best, often times longer. I'm okay with the Schmaltz pick from last season because he is (even after this past year) likely 2-4 years from knocking on the door.

That said, I do think a team needs to keep an eye on their pipeline to make sure they have talent coming at all positions. The Blues' pipeline is currently fairly weak at center, so that should be addressed. That can happen in the draft, or it can happen in a trade.

I hope that the Blues draft BPA with position being used as a tie-breaker. Obviously, if the Blues have a guy ranked 32 on their draft board and he is available at 47, they should grab him. But if the 47th pick comes up, and the Blues have a defenseman ranked 46, a winger ranked 47, and a center ranked 48, I'd hope they would "reach" to take the center due to the lack of center prospects in the pipeline.

Then again, the Blues seem to have a talent for identifying, drafting, and developing defensemen. So perhaps we should just draft defensemen and trade them for our needs.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:32 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
It seems like the Blues go for Americans and boom/busts like they're going out of style. I wouldn't mind seeing a safe pick, like I think Gaunce would have been.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
Steenroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Ryan Kujawinski?
Doubt Kujawinski is there at 47. I am a huge fan of his junior team and I would be pretty pissed if we took him, even if he fell. He just doesn't have any flare to his game and will only be a 4th liner IMO. Teams see differently though.

I think the blues need to trade Schmaltz and a second for a mid-high first. This draft will be one to remember.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:23 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

I'm picking for the Blues in the moderator mock. Center options that I'm currently considering at #47 include (in roughly tiered order of preference):

Jason Dickinson, Laurent Dauphin
Marko Dano, Lucas Wallmark
Jimmy Lodge, Justin Bailey

De La Rose and Duclair are still available as well.

I haven't watched as much CHL/overseas hockey this year due to time constraints, so I'm open to outside opinions. Anyone have any to share?

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:46 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
Dauphin would be my guy. I like quite a few guys on Chicoutimi though.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:51 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Justin Bailey would be my choice. Good size 6' 3" 190#s, Good skater, and good offensive instincts. Battled injuries or he could be higher up this list.

I think I would just like to hear the announcers say Markooooo Danooooo...ha ha. He sounds like a player anyway... Not sure he falls that far after a big world juniors.

Bogdan Yakimov is another big guy with offensive skills I like 6'4 201, but not a great skater. He is kind of ranked all over and probably too much of a reach. For a later pick, I would watch for him.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
Steenroller

As I said previously I think the blues need to trade Schmaltz and a second to hope into the first.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:21 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Ottawa has to lose one more game to lock in #47.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

I think Armstrong will deal for a first at the draft this year, whether it's Perron or Stewart (I'm hoping Stewart, personally). It's pretty clear those guys aren't going to lead us to a cup, so might as well get a first for them and draft a center. It also clears a little cap room which is never a bad thing to have.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:28 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
I think Armstrong will deal for a first at the draft this year, whether it's Perron or Stewart (I'm hoping Stewart, personally). It's pretty clear those guys aren't going to lead us to a cup, so might as well get a first for them and draft a center. It also clears a little cap room which is never a bad thing to have.
the centers we could draft with the picks we would get are at least 1 more year away from even making the same impact than Stew or Perron
it just doesn't make sense since we are still a win-now team

I can definitely see both traded away but not straight for draft picks

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
Steenroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Could not agree more.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Blues 16

I was on a mock draft site that had these names in our range. I don't follow any prospects so I know nothing about them outside of the little they wrote about the pick. Does anyone know about Tyler Hill, Brett Pesce, Adam Tambellini & Ryan Kujawinski? I like the size of Tyler at 6'6 225 lbs but you need more than size to play in the pros.

Blues 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:15 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Ended up going with Dickinson over Dauphin and Dano, but it was a hard choice. I think Dauphin and Dano are probably better players right now, but I think Dickinson has the best skill set and highest offensive ceiling of the three. He's not a 1 zone player, either. He's shown me enough that I believe he's a 3 zone talent with a high hockey IQ who is a fairly safe bet to have an NHL career in some capacity. He also has leadership qualities, and a good attitude (both humble and coachable) from what I've read.

With all that said, he's definitely a pick based on potential that should not be expected to contribute for awhile. His shift-to-shift inconsistency is notable. Also, his physical play (with regards to initiating contact, and battling through the contact of others) needs improvement...although it started making strides late this past year.

The fact that he worked to dramatically improve the defensive side of his game and succeeded (voted 3rd best defensive forward in the western conference in the OHL coaches poll this season) gives me confidence that his current problems don't stem from desire/work ethic. He'll be better at fighting through contact as his projectable 6'2'' frame fills out (he's only at ~175 lbs right now).

Shift-to-shift consistency is something that many talented young players struggle with, and it's something that is very correctable. I'm not seeing enough red flags in terms of attitude and work ethic to scare me off here.

With regards to the other guys I considered, I like both Dauphin and Dano quite a bit. I just don't think their ceiling is quite as high, even if they might be more likely to hit theirs than Dickinson. I would be happy if the Blues ended up with any of the three at #47.

I feel that Wallmark is generally underrated right now, but I don't like him quite as much as the other three I've mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if he was chosen in the second round by someone at the draft.

Bailey has a great shot and some nice qualities, but he's more Jeff Carter (stylistically) than Getzlaf. Not my first choice for the Blues at this point. I'm also somewhat concerned by his injury history.

Lodge is ultimately too one-dimensional for my liking given the other options available.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote