HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League Pt 4: Official 2013 Playoffs: Canucks are done

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Looks like the Penguins have been believing their own hype...
The Penguin's problem is that they ruined a lot of the chemistry they had by making all their additions. The Islanders on the other hand, have excellent chemistry throughout the line-up.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:44 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
I would like to see Iginla and Morrow out first round

Old
05-05-2013, 01:47 PM
lakai17

but look who they have on defence.. Murray, Niskanen and Despres.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
The Penguin's problem is that they ruined a lot of the chemistry they had by making all their additions. The Islanders on the other hand, have excellent chemistry throughout the line-up.
No, their problem is over confidence and expecting to play 30min and win a playoff game.

Pens were completely dominated in 3rd period and deserved to be. Thats simply not coming out of the gates and failing to match opposition intensity.

If you want to see some real hockey watch the Kings/Blues series.

Ask yourself if the Pens would ever win a playoff game 1-0.

Know in advance that I searched this. The Pens are seemingly incapable of winning a low scoring game. It is their usual downfall not being able to keep scores low.

Its been over two years since the Pens were able to Win a playoff game in which they scored 3 or less goals. Conversely the Kings win every playoff game they score 3 goals.

Amazing difference.

ps

Most of us remember that absolute joke of a series last year between the Flyers and Pens. To even call that modern era playoff hockey is laughable. Two clubs without much of a clue what it takes to win in the playoffs. 56 goals were scored in a 6 game series, lol, defensive fail.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

This is great hockey. Go Isles!

Old
05-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Spawn

The Penguins certainly do lack defensive capability in the playoffs it seems.... I will say one thing though... they are almost always hockey pool gold. Even if they are out early the big guys put up tonnes of points haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Its been over two years since the Pens were able to Win a playoff game in which they scored 3 or less goals. Conversely the Kings win every playoff game they score 3 goals.

Amazing differencel.
Just to play Devil's advocate, when was the last time the Kings won a playoff game where they gave up 3 goals?

Old
05-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

soft call...****

Old
05-05-2013, 02:13 PM
timekeep

Quote:
No, their problem is over confidence and expecting to play 30min and win a playoff game.

Pens were completely dominated in 3rd period and deserved to be. Thats simply not coming out of the gates and failing to match opposition intensity.

If you want to see some real hockey watch the Kings/Blues series.

Ask yourself if the Pens would ever win a playoff game 1-0.

Know in advance that I searched this. The Pens are seemingly incapable of winning a low scoring game. It is their usual downfall not being able to keep scores low.

Amazing difference.

ps

Most of us remember that absolute joke of a series last year between the Flyers and Pens. To even call that modern era playoff hockey is laughable. Two clubs without much of a clue what it takes to win in the playoffs. 56 goals were scored in a 6 game series, lol, defensive fail.
Just curious are you of Swiss heritage?

Old
05-05-2013, 02:14 PM
#ualberta

Great game great series
Crosby draws penalty pens make no mistake

Old
05-05-2013, 02:14 PM
GreatKeith

Gotta love refereeing.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:15 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
soft call...****
And the missed whistle on the double highstick. Good game though.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Spawn

Great shot from Kunitz. The guy is having a hell of a year.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:17 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
And Burke gave him up for Ryan Whitney. Quality trade...

Old
05-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
The Penguins certainly do lack defensive capability in the playoffs it seems.... I will say one thing though... they are almost always hockey pool gold. Even if they are out early the big guys put up tonnes of points haha.

Just to play Devil's advocate, when was the last time the Kings won a playoff game where they gave up 3 goals?
You missed my post on a similar vein is they haven't given up more than 3 goals in a playoff game in over two years of playoff hockey.

Sure Kings are designed for low scoring games and results but make no mistake they have plenty of players that can bury the biscuit that make a commitment to preventing GA as the first missive.

The Pens have it bassackwards right now. This same Pens team scored 10 goals in a playoff game last season. But gave up 8 goals twice and lost a series in 6 games to a club with brutal D play and goaltending. The Devils, a team that can play system play, easily dispatched the Flyers, and anything the East had to offer last season.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Just curious are you of Swiss heritage?
lol, no. Do you dispute that the Pens/Flyers series last year was a joke? It was hard to take the series, or either club, seriously.

Moreso because any of the teams having playoff success last season did so by virtue of defensive play. This being indisputable.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
ya kunitz sniped it but Crosby was putting them squarely on the tape all day. it was easy pickins for him.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:37 PM
CupofOil

You guys are nuts. The East is infinitely more entertaining than the West, not even close IMO.
The Pens-Isles game is a perfect example of that. Sure, the defense is lacking but i watch hockey for entertainment, not for structured, system play.
Admittedly, the Blues-Kings series has been entertaining but i couldn't care less about any of the other western series, total borefest while every eastern series is incredibly intriguing IMO. Up and down action, nastiness, passion, incredible crowds. Love the east playoffs.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You guys are nuts. The East is infinitely more entertaining than the West, not even close IMO.
The Pens-Isles game is a perfect example of that. Sure, the defense is lacking but i watch hockey for entertainment, not for structured, system play.
Admittedly, the Blues-Kings series has been entertaining but i couldn't care less about any of the other western series, total borefest while every eastern series is incredibly intriguing IMO. Up and down action, nastiness, passion, incredible crowds. Love the east playoffs.
I don't think anyone has made the argument of more entertaining per se, but rather there seems to be less mistakes in the games I have watched in the west vs the east. I haven't watched all the games, so I'll try to stay away from blanket statements. They're all very entertaining, but I do notice a tighter game in the west.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:45 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
I don't think anyone has made the argument of more entertaining per se, but rather there seems to be less mistakes in the games I have watched in the west vs the east. I haven't watched all the games, so I'll try to stay away from blanket statements. They're all very entertaining, but I do notice a tighter game in the west.
Sure, it's a matter of preference. In retrospect, i shouldn't have started off my post with "you guys are nuts". I just find it hard to believe that anybody wouldn't enjoy the eastern playoffs, just riveting stuff all around. I'm just not a fan of tight checking games with the exception of the first 2 Blues-Kings games which were highly entertaining. I prefer hard hitting, wide open action.
It's too bad that the Isles lost today, they clearly deserved that win. I love seeing the Old Coliseum rocking again, great stuff.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Just to humor me how on earth is it a "grudge match" when the Leafs haven't been on the Bruins radar in years or ever?

As for .500 I count wins and losses simple. Not the way the NHL tries to tabulate it to make most clubs look like winning teams.

********? lol.

Amused more than anything at the sudden development of Leafsnation.

Enjoy your dynasty now.
What are you talking about " amused more than anything at the sudden development of Leafsnation. Dude we take over your building every single time we go out West. LeafsNation is all around you and has been all around you for decades and decades

Old
05-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
lol, no. Do you dispute that the Pens/Flyers series last year was a joke? It was hard to take the series, or either club, seriously.

Moreso because any of the teams having playoff success last season did so by virtue of defensive play. This being indisputable.
It could be argued both ways, maybe the West is more 'defensive' because they don't have the offensive talent that is in the East. My personal opinion is that the finishers in the West are not as good as the finishers in the East.

The Penguins went 13-2-3 against the West last year, they can play against any team because they are an incredible team.

Old
05-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I agree 100%. 3 of the 4 match ups are division rivalries, can't go wrong with that.

Old
05-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

At the very least it was incredibly entertaining, I'm not vested in either of those teams so what do I care if they have what it takes to win the cup? It was a great watch two hours every second night thought.

the Kings/Blues series has been a snoozer. Another 1-0 game last night, nobody looked dangerous all night and the Kings scored a lucky seeing eye goal. Not exactly edge of your seat stuff.

The Wild/Blackhawks series has been some pretty good back and forth hockey as well. Good mix of flair and defense.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
At the very least it was incredibly entertaining, I'm not vested in either of those teams so what do I care if they have what it takes to win the cup? It was a great watch two hours every second night thought.

the Kings/Blues series has been a snoozer. Another 1-0 game last night, nobody looked dangerous all night and the Kings scored a lucky seeing eye goal. Not exactly edge of your seat stuff.

The Wild/Blackhawks series has been some pretty good back and forth hockey as well. Good mix of flair and defense.
The Kings/Blues series has been incredibly intense hockey. Out and out war on every shift and a fierce battle for the puck at all times. I'll take that over loose play and sloppy coverage any day of the week.

Some of you should watch more basketball if you need double digit scores for the game to be entertaining

and yeah, I'm just j/k around with that last part. All in good fun until somebody types the wrong thing and somebody loses an eye..

But on a serious note I have no idea how somebody considers physical, tight checking hockey boring. As long as the clutching and holding isn't the reason its tight those games exhibit high levels of team commitment and system play and players that COMMIT to team play and being the absolute best they can be.

tbh if I was a Pens fan I would question why one of the most talented teams in all of hockey isn't getting it done and don't look ready anytime soon. Pens lost to the Flyers of all teams last year. A team with suspect D and goaltending that any WC contender would beat in the playoffs for fun.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
It could be argued both ways, maybe the West is more 'defensive' because they don't have the offensive talent that is in the East. My personal opinion is that the finishers in the West are not as good as the finishers in the East.

The Penguins went 13-2-3 against the West last year, they can play against any team because they are an incredible team.
The regular season not always being indicative of playoff success. To wit the Vancouver Canucks...When it counts clubs like the Nucks, Rangers, Pens,Sens, seldom get it done.

For the last two decades I could make a decent living betting against the Sens every year. Easiest playoff patsy around.

Some teams are just built for the playoffs, most of those teams being in the WC.

CONTROLLING games and results is what makes teams into SC winners. You do this first and foremost by limiting GA. Not winning 5-4 in OT in a game that was up for grabs all the way. On the part of the Pens that is completely underwhelming.

Anyway, for the younger fans here a slight history lesson. The most talented club in the history of the game, the 80's Edmonton Oilers, lost to the Kings in 82, and Islanders in 83 because they had not yet figured out how to shore up their own end and be able to play all round hockey. A Veteran Kings team absolutely schooled the Oilers making them look silly in 82. It was embarrassing and a rude lesson for every Oiler team and the lesson being that you CAN'T win in playoff hockey consistently by simply filling the net with pucks.

Two years later that same Oilers team that got drubbed in high scoring games by the Kings wins game 1, SC final, on the road, 1-0, against the SC Champ NYI's. Lesson learned. The rest as they say is history and a scoring club that got that much better, and became a dynasty, because they could play both ends of the rink.

From the looks of things a very talented Pens club has not yet learned that lesson after being humbled worse last year.

Closed Thread