Old
05-05-2013, 12:47 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
I disagree (after this season) --they have moved on with younger/ cheaper/ better.
I'm of the opinion that they would still take Kelly back, given his history there. A veteran presence for those new young guys, especially with Alfie likely done.

Plus, given Kelly's NTC, it's probably the only place he'd OK a deal to.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Would be nice if Bergeron contributed more than one assist in his past 12 games.
Yeah he usually wrists the puck right into the chest of the goalie lately.

Bruinswillwin77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Would be nice if Bergeron contributed more than one assist in his past 12 games.
A phantom assist on an empty-netter on top of it

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Colt? I don't disagree with a single word. Absurd to me that Pevs/Soderberg/Jagr isn't a line.

Watching Jagr and Kelly together is painful. I feel so bad for Jaromir Jagr.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Not a Kelly defender, but that's a short list: Ottawa.
Ottawa has Zack Smith: Younger, cheaper, similar style of play.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:08 PM
BruinsPortugal

He and Peverley. a-w-f-u-l, just awful.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:10 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Peverley is enemy #1 for me. The guy has a cap hit of something like 600k-1mill less than lucic and has brought absolutely nothing to the bruins this year yet he gets a quiet pass from the majority here.

He made up for his lack of offense with his hustle + two way game.

Well, that went out the window this year... Barf.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:15 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
Peverley is enemy #1 for me. The guy has a cap hit of something like 600k-1mill less than lucic and has brought absolutely nothing to the bruins this year yet he gets a quiet pass from the majority here.

He made up for his lack of offense with his hustle + two way game.

Well, that went out the window this year... Barf.
Same. Kelly has been a problem, as well, but he seems to be engaged and actually battles for the puck. Peverley is a ghost.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:42 PM
acr*

I just wrote up a long, detailed account of what brought the third line so much success in 2011, what allowed it to be decent in 2012, and the reasons that it has been so futile this season, and right as I was on the last paragraph, I accidentally hit back on my browser and lost everything, so I'll have to just sum it up in bulletpoints.

- Kelly has obviously been less efficient this year than ever before, yet is there any one facet of his game you can look at and say he's regressed in? He still skates, still battles along the boards as well as he did before, doesn't look like he's floating, can pass and shoot. I don't think it's a matter of him being a worse player than years past, I think he's not being put with players he can thrive with.

- Peverley/Kelly/Ryder - Three guys whose skillsets really went well together. Complemented each other very well.

- Peverley/Kelly/Pouliot - Still fine defensively and could still win puck battles. Lost Ryder's awareness and pure shot though.

- Problem 1 with this year's third line: Lack of any type of consistency with personnel. Bourque started there, Pevs got banged up a little, Kelly got hurt for an extended period of time. Between injuries and Bourque being dropped, we've seen in bits and pieces on that line - Caron, Campbell, Paille, Spooner, Pandolfo, Tardif, Lucic, Seguin, Jagr, Daugavins, Soderberg.

- Problem 2: Now it seems to be Pevs-Kelly-Jagr. Peverley hasn't been the same since the knee surgery last year, it took a little bit off his speed and his shot. Kelly is a defensively responsible puck battler. The line is supposed to play positionally and cycle. There's no going east-west in the offensive zone. They're supposed to be battling along the boards. Those things aren't Jagr's game. It's a waste of his talent and Kelly's grit to put them together. This is on Clode. Jagr creates space, he's a puck carrier, he dekes, cuts inside the defensive box, draws defenders to him. How is that going to create offense when Kelly and Peverley are stapled to their positions cycling along the half-wall and behind the net? You need someone with more free-form creative awareness to work with Jagr, i.e. Krejci. Every fan on this board has been calling for that since we got him, yet it's the one line combination Clode HASN'T tried because he won't break up the KLH line. Infuriating.

My amateur solution:

- You can keep the Lucic-Horton bromance together while still freeing up Krejci to make magic with Jagr. Kelly doesn't have Krejci's hands obviously, but he's a north-south player who is willing to make and take a hit to keep the puck moving forward. He would do quite well with Looch and Horton.

- Without breaking up the Bergeron line, who fits on the left of Krejci and Jagr? Looking at our roster I say free the Yeti. He's got a big body and puck skills. Give it a go.

- Peverley might cut the mustard if you let him play with Paille and Campbell. They all play a similar style and would not be a bad fourth line. I don't see what Thornton brings anyway aside from fighting and taking shots from really bad angles. I wouldn't shed a tear if they scratched Pevs though.

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Soderberg-Krejci-Jagr
Lucic-Kelly-Horton
Paille-Campbell-Peverley/Daugavins

That's a set of lines I'd roll. Late in a close game you'd want Clode to adjust accordingly. Rest Jagr for possible PP opportunities and bump up Paille or Campbell to give that second line more defensive coverage.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:41 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

I buy out him and Peverley this summer and extend Horton. Lucic and Horton will be our overpaid and often underperforming luxury players.

Kelly and Peverley were great 2 years ago but I guess they've lost a step due to age and now are pretty worthless since there is no offense to their games.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Salem13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I buy out him and Peverley this summer and extend Horton. Lucic and Horton will be our overpaid and often underperforming luxury players.

Kelly and Peverley were great 2 years ago but I guess they've lost a step due to age and now are pretty worthless since there is no offense to their games.
No reason to buy them both out, Kelly is still a serviceable 3rd line defensive center and can play wing. Should not be hard to find a trade partner for him for a more offensive minded winger with some "thickness".

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Colt.45Orr

Jagr looked volumes better playing with Campbell (who at least does one thing consistently) --he has never looked worse than when playing with Kelly so maybe the answer is to go:

L-K-H
M-B-S
Soderberg--Campbell--Jagr
Paille-Kelly-Thornton

or

L-K-H
M-B-Jagr
Soderberg--Campbell--Seguin
Paille-Kelly-Thornton

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

If we're debating whether we should play Jagr with Kelly or Campbell... maybe acquiring him was a bad move.

Clode is married to his top 2 lines and won't even think about switching them unless the team goes down 3-1. Jagr doesn't fit in the bottom 6, and it's clear the Bruins just will not get the PP opportunities sufficient for Jagr to impact a game with his PP skills.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Bruinsforlife89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsPortugal View Post
He and Peverley. a-w-f-u-l, just awful.
Both are overpaid and were handed NTC's too. Hopefully chia moves one or both.

Bruinsforlife89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:54 PM
ODAAT

Why don't we just trade/buyout the whole team.

Man the BS after a loss is nausiating around here

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post

It's just two guys. Two guys that are underperforming.

I don't mind Kelly, but his cap hit sucks. Pevs is terrible and must go. Kid rather keep Horton and get rid of Pevs.

Overly dramatic response:
Why don't we just bring back the whole team, and leave no room for rookies or better players?

Yeti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Mpata

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
If we're debating whether we should play Jagr with Kelly or Campbell... maybe acquiring him was a bad move.

Clode is married to his top 2 lines and won't even think about switching them unless the team goes down 3-1. Jagr doesn't fit in the bottom 6, and it's clear the Bruins just will not get the PP opportunities sufficient for Jagr to impact a game with his PP skills.
I agree about not touching the first two lines but the Bruins need somebody who isn't on the first two lines who can put the puck in the net. Just one guy to play with Jagr.

Mpata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Mpata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post

What's "nausiating" around here is people whining about people having a discussion about the problems with the team. Learn to grasp the concept of message boards then come back.

Kelly hasn't been good for a while.

Mpata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Shaun
beauty

Peverley and Kelly have looked like **** this year. Rich hasn't been the same since the knee injury and Kelly makes way too much for what he brings.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:18 PM
misterjaggers

Seems like some of our players went to seed during the lockout.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:31 PM
LyndonByers

I agree Kelly has been terrible but I can't see CJ scratching him. I would like to see Soderberg installed on the left side with Kelly & Jagr. It is painfully obvious that Julien has no plans to play Jagr with Krejci for some unknown reason. I think he will go something like this:

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Soderberg Kelly Jagr
Paille Campbell Peverley or Thornton

What will be fascinating come offseason is if there has been any friction or turmoil between CJ & Chia/Cam. I can't believe Chia acquired Jagr to have him play with defensive players on the 3rd line. Such a waste of such a skilled player. This stubbornness with CJ regarding Jagr is frustrating. You acquired him to help the offence not play a defensive role. The guy was never a defensive player. Why even acquire him if this was the role he would have to play?

LyndonByers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:32 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpata View Post
What's "nausiating" around here is people whining about people having a discussion about the problems with the team. Learn to grasp the concept of message boards then come back.
Well said.

Last edited by MillerTime 86: 05-05-2013 at 05:51 PM.
MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:32 PM
northeastern

I'm pretty upset with both Kelly and pevs. Bring in the yeti!!

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post

Truer words ne'er spoken. So exciting to watch Jagr with the puck on his stick. But oh so very frustrating to watch as his linemates fill their pants while he's doing it. What a waste!

I truly believe we need three lines who are actual threats to score if we're going to see our team successful. Kelly and Peverley are driving me nuts. Get Soderberg in there, or juggle the lines...

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:40 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

On the topic, Kelly and Peverley (the way they've played this season) are not even in the ballpark of being worth their combined 6.25 million dollar cap hit.

I think lots of things will have to be considered depending on how the rest of the playoffs go... Including the fate of Clode Julien.

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote