HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Roster Building Thread: Titles May Not Reflect Actual Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
That's a funny way to spell Jaro Jagr

e: slip
when he wanted to be...

Old
05-04-2013, 06:45 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
If he had stayed in the NHL his whole career he'd probably be #3 or #2 in scoring when he retired. That's mind-blowing when you consider his Washington years.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:48 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

What do people think about going after Andy McDonald? UFA, add some veteran leadership during the rebuild and a Cup winner, can still play 15-17 mins a game and take pressure off our young centers. Can also kill penalties (hasn't done much of that this year, but has played the PK in years past). Has been a pretty good faceoff guy most of his career. Would probably have to overpay to get him to pick the Sabres over a Cup Contender, and likely require a multi-year deal, but we could afford that I think (especially if we continue the core shakeup and ship out a guy like Stafford). And you can never have too many centers

Old
05-05-2013, 01:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
What do people think about going after Andy McDonald? UFA, add some veteran leadership during the rebuild and a Cup winner, can still play 15-17 mins a game and take pressure off our young centers. Can also kill penalties (hasn't done much of that this year, but has played the PK in years past). Has been a pretty good faceoff guy most of his career. Would probably have to overpay to get him to pick the Sabres over a Cup Contender, and likely require a multi-year deal, but we could afford that I think (especially if we continue the core shakeup and ship out a guy like Stafford). And you can never have too many centers
I like him but his injury history and age (35) would make me nervous. I could live with a two year deal not sure he would go for that.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I like him but his injury history and age (35) would make me nervous. I could love with a two year deal not sure he would go for that.
I do too, but I think that it might be worth it. We wouldn't be counting on him to be a top line player--if he gets hurt, so be it, toss him on LTIR then the young centers have to step up. IMO the only real risk is retirement and being stuck with dead cap space--but given the rebuild I don't think cap space will be a problem. His purpose on the Sabres would be primarily to add leadership to a really young team, not to turn the Sabres into a contender.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:57 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I do too, but I think that it might be worth it. We wouldn't be counting on him to be a top line player--if he gets hurt, so be it, toss him on LTIR then the young centers have to step up. IMO the only real risk is retirement and being stuck with dead cap space--but given the rebuild I don't think cap space will be a problem. His purpose on the Sabres would be primarily to add leadership to a really young team, not to turn the Sabres into a contender.
I understand that and don't think its a bad idea. Just stating my concerns

Old
05-05-2013, 04:53 PM
gallagt01

I wonder if Regier's upset that O'Reilly can't be traded this offseason. He'd fit pretty perfectly into this team's rebuild.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
I wonder if Regier's upset that O'Reilly can't be traded this offseason. He'd fit pretty perfectly into this team's rebuild.
Regier is patient. I wouldn't be surprised to see him work that deal once O'Reilly can be traded next February.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I understand that and don't think its a bad idea. Just stating my concerns
I would not overpay for a 35 yr old player. I want cap space available in 2014 to be much more active in trades and UFA signings.

Similarly I don't want brierre at a $6.5M cap hit. I don't mind paying him his actuall salary.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Selanne00008

I think we'll be surprised. We were shocked at the Calgary trade, the erhofff trade and signing, and then Leino. Regardless of them working out we were all surprised. If its physically possible pegula/darcy will do what they can. Maybe a trade where we buy out the player and grab draft pick(s) as well. A bold move is gonna come again. Maybe an offer someone in the top four can't refuse but in the end didn't cost us much.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
I think we'll be surprised. We were shocked at the Calgary trade, the erhofff trade and signing, and then Leino. Regardless of them working out we were all surprised. If its physically possible pegula/darcy will do what they can. Maybe a trade where we buy out the player and grab draft pick(s) as well. A bold move is gonna come again. Maybe an offer someone in the top four can't refuse but in the end didn't cost us much.
I agree.

Even moving up at last year's draft to snag Z. Girgensons was a surprise. It was a departure form the old Darcy pre-Pegula.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Girgenburger

I was thinking..should we just dangle Vanek for the #4 pick?

I kind of feel like that's the only way we'd have a prayer at getting Nashville's pick. Look at how much that team needs offense.

I don't know if I'd do it. But it certainly should be considered. Regier has to ask himself how much he covets Barkov.

Something like

Vanek, #38

for

#4 and a low-end roster player like Clune

But if I have to trade #16 to get it done, I might. I think we can get a nice piece at #8, so I'd try to hold on to that.

Last edited by Girgenburger: 05-06-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 07:00 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Regier is patient. I wouldn't be surprised to see him work that deal once O'Reilly can be traded next February.
I so agree with you two......at least, deep down, I hope.

I just want them to do have both an aggressive penalty kill, attacking the point men; and an aggressive forecheck.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I was thinking..should we just dangle Vanek for the #4 pick?

I kind of feel like that's the only way we'd have a prayer at getting Nashville's pick. Look at how much that team needs offense.
So do the Sabres - and, if they unload Vanek for draft picks or prospects (even if highly rated ones) rather than some proven NHL talent, their offense will be even more excruciating to watch IMO. They lost offense in the Roy and Pominville trades; if Vanek goes, who's going to score? Hodgson? Ennis? Leino?

At least with Miller, the Sabres aren't as bereft of options to make do with if they deal him.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Jame
Dream '16

stipulations....
1. They both agree to contract extensions prior to the trade
2. They both waive NMCs
3. This would will never happen
4. This is the silliest proposal I've ever made (probably not actually true)
5. Is there any scenario where Pitt thinks about trading Malkin?

Ryan Miller 6.25 in 13-14, 5.5 in 2014-2017
(agreeing to 4 year extension for a total of 5 year contract)
Tyler Myers 5.5
2013 8th overall (1st)
2013 55th overall (2nd)
2014 1st rounder
2014 2nd rounder

for

Evgeni Malkin 8.7 in 13-14, 9.0 in 2014-2022(agreeing to a 8 year extension for a total of 9 year contract
Marc Andre-Fleury 5.0

(this is where I debate even posting this... **** it....)

Old
05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
stipulations....
2. They both waive NMCs

Tyler Myers 5.5
2013 8th overall (1st)
2013 55th overall (2nd)
2014 1st rounder
2014 2nd rounder

for

Evgeni Malkin 8.7 in 13-14, 9.0 in 2014-2022(agreeing to a 8 year extension for a total of 9 year contract
Marc Andre-Fleury 5.0

Well done. This is a proposal worth dreaming about. I imagine they would want an established player like Hodgson, Ennis, Sekera or Ehrhoff instead of the picks.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post

Well done. This is a proposal worth dreaming about. I imagine they would want an established player like Hodgson, Ennis, Sekera or Ehrhoff instead of the picks.
I added Hodgson on the trade board

Old
05-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Girgenburger

Vanek-Malkin-Armia/Stafford
Ennis-Hodgson-Leino
Foligno-Larsson-Ott
Flynn-Porter-Tropp

Maybe sprinkle in a little Grig/Girg

Last edited by Girgenburger: 05-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old
05-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Lloydchristmas138

The more I look at this roster I think using Hodgson as ammo to get in the top 4 could be a good course to take, if only because he does have value. He's very talented for sure but an undersized, not fast, fairly one dimensional center. I also don't think he offers as much position versatility as Ennis/Girgensons/Larsson.

As it stands now, we would have 14 forwards battling for a top 9 gig with: Vanek, Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Ott, Leino, Grigorenko, Foligno, Larsson, Tropp, Girgensons, Flynn, Armia, and last but least Gerbe. In a perfect world Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Larsson can be the 3 pivots in due time, and in the meanwhile Ennis/Ott/Porter or even a minor FA pickup can fill in at center in the short term... Darcy should explore all options.

Florida: I think Mackinnon should be the top target for us and it will take an overpayment.. So this question is how much would it cost to move up six spots? Hell, I would do it for #8, Hodgson, and Sekera; maybe some 2nd rd picks too..what say you?

Tampa: Drouin would also be a huge pickup for us and Tampa is certainly in a different situation than the Cats. People keep saying he's a replacement for St. Louis but who knows he could probably play another 3-5 years(look at Selanne). Lecavalier has a horrid contract could he be an intriguing buyout possibility for us? Obviously D is there biggest weakness but they could probably find a guy they like at #8 (Ristolainen, Nurse). Also, Stevie Y has already invested a lot into Bishop/Lindback but there is no sure thing there, perhaps Miller might be of interest? I think a combo of assets like #8, Hodgson, Miller, and Sekera could get the phone ringing on a deal while perhaps taking back Bishop/Lindback/Lecavalier.

Nashville: I'm not as sold on Barkov as Mac/Drouin especially after reading that he's an average skater but I don't watch him play so I'll trust the judgements of other posters on this one. For Nashville, I think Vanek is more of the natural fit to trade there but Hodgson would be a good fit too. The difference with this pick is I would try to hold on to that #8 and instead dangle the #16.. Maybe Hodgson + #16 and #53? Vanek + #16 0r #53?

Thoughts?

Old
05-08-2013, 02:18 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
I think if they go out in this round, it becomes a possibility. He's hurting them almost as much as MAF right now. No taking care of the puck, lots of stupid turnovers, he's putting up points obviously - but that's because of how offensively talented the guy is.

He just plays pretty dumb hockey at bad times.

Will most fans say NO WAY? Yeah, probably...but I bet it's an internal discussion at some point. It's not like he's the franchise guy. You get a good #2 C and other stuff back for him, use that money he frees up to keep Iggy/Letang/etc...it's a pretty dynamic makeover for them, and I don't think the drop off is very bad.

RE: your offer, there's no way they take Myers' ****** deal in a package, younger/cheaper players would be a huge part of the deal for them - sort of like Sutter/Staal only moreso

Last edited by sba: 05-08-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old
05-08-2013, 03:07 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Looking at Vancouver's roster. Who's poachable/worth going for? Burrows? Raymond? Bieksa (the idea of him interview bombing in Buff is tempting)?

Old
05-08-2013, 07:19 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Vanek to Detroit for
Abdelkader,Tatar,1st

Miller to Pittsburgh for
Harrington
3rd
Adams

Old
05-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Djp

Quote:
stipulations....
2. They both waive NMCs

Tyler Myers 5.5
2013 8th overall (1st)
2013 55th overall (2nd)
2014 1st rounder
2014 2nd rounder

for

Marc Andre-Fleury 5.0

I feel that the Pens would seriously consider trading Malkin because of the hard salary cap era. you cant be paying all your stars like stars like days in the past.

They would move Malkin for a player who would fit in nicely as a #2 Center + young player or 2 + picks.
do:

Hodgson+Miller+McNabb+ MIN 1st for Malkin....contingent on him signing an extension. If they want the #8 pick then buffalo is getting something else back.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:48 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I feel that the Pens would seriously consider trading Malkin because of the hard salary cap era. you cant be paying all your stars like stars like days in the past.

They would move Malkin for a player who would fit in nicely as a #2 Center + young player or 2 + picks.
do:

Hodgson+Miller+McNabb+ MIN 1st for Malkin....contingent on him signing an extension. If they want the #8 pick then buffalo is getting something else back.
No they aren't.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:47 PM
boots electric

Given the Blues complete inability to score goals despite winning the puck possession battle game after game, anyone else think St. Louis might inquire about Vanek? That team is in desperate need of a goal-scorer in the worst way.

What could they offer that we'd be interested in? Would they consider moving Oshie? Any prospects not named "Tarasenko" that look particularly appealing?

Closed Thread