HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Craptacular Organization that is YOUR LOS ANGELES KINGS

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2006, 01:41 PM
McSorley 33

vCash: 500
Those who pay enough attention to hockey know, that preseason games are not usually, "GOOD HOCKEY". Teams try out young kids along with newly signed guys and then add three enforcers to the mix.

As a fan, I understand that what I'm about to watch is not the real thing.

The first game against the Ducks was some what boring! The flow was terrible, guys would swing and miss the puck entirely and their seemed to be no intensity.

If I wasn't a hardcore fan, who wanted to check out our new prospects, I would have been bored. Yes, bored at a KIng-Duck game. If you haven't been to a preseason game, then maybe you wouldn't understand. The quality of the game is very different. Maybe thats why you see 3500 people in the stands.

I understand though, when an NHL player has a bad game, that fans would be upset. No excuse for some of this guys to half *** it out there.

Old
09-20-2006, 01:43 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
TT, the most dissappointing thing about your posts is your inflated sense of self-worth and sense of entitlement from the organization. You're obviously a smart guy who knows a lot about hockey. But you quite often, like this thread, go QUACKERS about an issue and then believe it proves your ENTIRE point about how "sad" the organ-I-zation is. It's old.

Your constant "humor" at the expense of the team smacks of a shy 13 year old who has just found his own voice on internet message boards. I wouldn't be surprised if you were the guy who, when a King player lost his helmet last night on an aggressive forecheck, yelled "don't worry about it - they'll send it straight to Manchester". Zing! Great. Your beer drinking friends laugh and everyone else around you thinks you're a knob. That's what's happening to you here.

No, they're not geniuses in the Kings marketing department - I *agree* with you there. But you make your point in a curmudgeonly, smart-***, "I've been following this crappy team for a long time and I know better" way that turns everyone OFF (except your pal PSP). When you do it that way, you also turn all productive dialogue off.

Since you're a succesful music business guy, you must know by now that there are ways of getting your point accross that make people respect you and your experience. You still need to find that way.

Old
09-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Transported Upstater

Craptacular and Craptastic are both great words.

Old
09-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
Your constant "humor" at the expense of the team smacks of a shy 13 year old who has just found his own voice on internet message boards.
Chris Hanson from Dateline and this is "TO CATCH A PREDATOR."

Old
09-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
A usable website would be nice - it's not like they aren't spending the money already.

What would it take to put together a 5-10 minute daily report that could be streamed on the website? Training camp report / reports on the Monarchs and Royals / top prospects, etc. It's not without precedence - FWIW, the Leafs have their own 24/7/365 cable channel
In fairness to AEG, there are some very nice features on the web site. I particularly like the post-game interviews they post. Have you watched the SIX post-game interviews from last night's game? Did you notice that they posted a video of the entire GM Breakfast this year? They also do post articles about prospects from time-to-time.

Old
09-20-2006, 02:11 PM
multiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I'll take a stab at this one.

The truly sad part is that it wouldn't take much to fix some of the marketing problems this franchise has. Here are just a few off the top of my head:
  • A usable website would be nice - it's not like they aren't spending the money already.
  • What would it take to put together a 5-10 minute daily report that could be streamed on the website? Training camp report / reports on the Monarchs and Royals / top prospects, etc. It's not without precedence - FWIW, the Leafs have their own 24/7/365 cable channel
  • Embrace the history of the Kings - even before Gretzky
  • Did anyone even consider that rosters might be a nice touch for the fans that couldn't make it to every camp session? I like to think I'm pretty familiar with the roster, but I couldn't tell you every player's number right now.
  • The 9/11 snub of Bailey and Bavis.

It wouldn't take much of an effort to fix these issues along with many others that have cropped up over the last few years. It WOULD take somebody to not take the fans for granted.

We were Kings fans before AEG - and we'll be Kings fans long after AEG has moved on. In the meantime, - AEG, please - try to pretend that you care as much as we do.
I'll relunctantly agree with TT's co-conspirator, PSP, on almost all items here. Both of these guys are trying to make the point (if I may) that the Kings marketing department is somewhere between "out to lunch" and "freakin' awful".

Update that website. Flash is *so* 2003. The nav is poorly done, some sections are burried so deep, they look un-updated and forgotten since 04.

I *love* the idea of a daily podcast or update for the organ-i-zation. But anything would be a start - audio, video, Word file - anything to superserve your hardcore base would be much appreciated!

In general, yes, "embrace the history" is a good idea. but these folks need examples. How bout a comprehensive "History of the Kings DVD" by Xmas? How bout some vintage footage in the montage before each game that ties the "Play Hard" slogan together throughout the years?

They really did screw up by not printing out rosters for the 3-4,000 fans who showed up last night. Take notes and don't screw that up again. Your fan base speaks here. Listen to them.

The 9/11 snub I do not agree with you on. That's a private matter and the Kings shouldn't go on hitting up public sympathy on the anniversary of deaths. I respect the decision for there to NOT be a banner splashed across the site announcing respect for Ace & Mark. It was demonstrated to me already.

Anyhow, Kings Marketing Department, hit "print" on this thread and have an emergency meeting. It's early, but you're getting called out already.

Old
09-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Eighty-sixed

Craptacular?

For the first time in a LONG time, you guys have a staff that can take you places. You've also got a bunch of young, talented forwards in the organization. Seems to me you're building something of substance in LA right now.

Sign Allison. Have him play between Sully and Cam. Trade him at the deadline for a solid d prospect. Then you've got a team.

As far as marketing goes...well, that's what happens when your president and owners devote their time to promoting the MLS.

Old
09-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
Who says I cheer for them? I happen to live closer in proximity to them than any of the 30 NHL teams, and I've been a hockey fan since I attended my first game 42 years ago. I've lived in Los Angeles on and off since 1976, and so therefore I've seen more Kings games than any other team, but "cheer for them?"... not very much over the past 30 years... once in a while, but for the most part, if I am looking for GOOD hockey... nah...

I've said it before, I'll say it again... the BEST trade that could be made... The Lakers to Anaheim for the Ducks... then there'd be TWO hockey teams at Staples and I could be assured of watching better hockey at least half the time.
Well, then why post on the Kings board? 98% of the people on this particular board are Kings fans and support the team. If you the team bothers you so much, post this rant in the Ducks forum.

Old
09-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Osprey

Quote:
TT, the most dissappointing thing about your posts is your inflated sense of self-worth and sense of entitlement from the organization.
Bingo... though I think that the most disappointing thing is that TT is a very knowledgeable poster and asset to this board who just throws the opportunity away by filling half of his posts with what you just said. It's as if his on-screen persona is bi-polar: one of the best posters half the time, one of the worst the rest. When he's not contributing greatly valuable insight, he's posting acidic zingers and soapbox diatribes at anyone or anything associated with the team. It's a shame.

Whenever he posts something like this, I feel like getting on his case for it, but then recall the good posts and bit of respect that I have for him, and hold back. Similarly, when he posts something good and really valuable, I feel like complimenting and thanking him, but recall what he's like the other half of the time and hold back. It ends up like this that, most of the time, I don't acknowledge him one way or the other. With posts like this, I doubt that he appreciates being ignored, but it's of his own doing, IMO.

TT, I'm sure that everyone respects your knowledge and the insight that you provide, but I don't think that anyone appreciates your posts the other half of the time, this one being a shining example. This doesn't mean putting on rose-colored glasses and pretending that everything is peachy. It's more than possible to criticize the organization in a way that's intelligent and maintains the respect of others. People listen when they respect the speaker. Most people can respect a critical opinion that they agree with, as long as it's presented intelligently and not in grandiose or sarcastic manner. Anyways, I'd be thrilled to see you post more of intelligent posts and a lot fewer of the forgettable ones. You are an asset to this board... when you're not dragging it down. That's my 2c (and something I had planned to say privately in a PM until this thread).

Old
09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Bingo...
Been here, done that, nothing's changed.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...05#post5917905

Old
09-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Fingolfin

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if you were the guy who, when a King player lost his helmet last night on an aggressive forecheck, yelled "don't worry about it - they'll send it straight to Manchester". Zing! Great. Your beer drinking friends laugh and everyone else around you thinks you're a knob. That's what's happening to you here.
I believe TT actually said, "Don't worry about your helmet, Jackman, they'll ship it to you in Manchester." But hey, at least you heard him.

- Fin

Old
09-20-2006, 04:39 PM
kingsfan25

Interesting...avoiding trolling warnings by integrating yourself into a team board and gaining the trust of it's fans before criticising their team.

Old
09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
multiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
I believe TT actually said, "Don't worry about your helmet, Jackman, they'll ship it to you in Manchester." But hey, at least you heard him.

- Fin
Are you kidding or was that really him? I honestly didn't know when I made that point earlier. But I was in 102 if that's where you guys were. If it really was TT, then that's quite funny. It was Jackman, I couldn't remember his name and you're exactly right about the quote. I was paraphrasing. Odd/funny.

Old
09-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Game Misconduct

Yes, we were in 102.

Old
09-20-2006, 05:58 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Are you kidding or was that really him? I honestly didn't know when I made that point earlier. But I was in 102 if that's where you guys were. If it really was TT, then that's quite funny. It was Jackman, I couldn't remember his name and you're exactly right about the quote. I was paraphrasing. Odd/funny.

Yeah, I pray you weren't the moron in the black t-shirt that stood up and gave the "what gives" shrug to the officials EVERY time the Kings went off-sides, or had a penalty call go against them.

Old
09-20-2006, 05:59 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty-sixed View Post
As far as marketing goes...well, that's what happens when your president and owners devote their time to promoting the MLS.
To quote The Partridge Family... I think I love you!

Old
09-20-2006, 06:00 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post

- Fin
I wasn't far off, was I... they did ship him out today... sometimes it's good to attempt humor when the scene is nothing but morose.

Old
09-20-2006, 06:15 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
I *love* the idea of a daily podcast or update for the organ-i-zation. But anything would be a start - audio, video, Word file - anything to superserve your hardcore base would be much appreciated!
If you can't depend on the local media to adequately cover your team, why not just do it yourself?

Quote:
In general, yes, "embrace the history" is a good idea. but these folks need examples. How bout a comprehensive "History of the Kings DVD" by Xmas? How bout some vintage footage in the montage before each game that ties the "Play Hard" slogan together throughout the years?
That would be a good start.

The Kings have been putting together a 30 min "Year in Review" program since the mid 70s. I have a couple of them from the 70s and 80s - they are very entertaining and really give you a feel for the spirit of the pre-Gretzky Kings. I'd like to see those available on streaming video.

Over the years, I have collected a complete set of media guides. For the truly hardcore fan, they offer information that isn't available anywhere else. Why not offer those in pdf format.

Granted, they do their "This Day in Kings History'', but usually they reference a game or a player that the majority of the listeners don't know. They could come up with a 'Kings Alumni Player of the Week" with a brief rundown of their career complete with highlights. If the current fans saw the contributions of players like Butch Goring in the context of the way the game was played then, it might help them understand the way things are now.

Can you imagine Don Kozak in the NHL today?

Quote:
The 9/11 snub I do not agree with you on. That's a private matter and the Kings shouldn't go on hitting up public sympathy on the anniversary of deaths. I respect the decision for there to NOT be a banner splashed across the site announcing respect for Ace & Mark. It was demonstrated to me already.
1. I'd like to believe that it was a conscious decision, but in all likelihood they just forgot.
2. They use public sympathy very well when it suits them - they still tout their donations to the 9/11 relief efforts in the "Community" section of their website.

Quote:
Anyhow, Kings Marketing Department, hit "print" on this thread and have an emergency meeting. It's early, but you're getting called out already.
Not likely that they will, but they should.

Old
09-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
TT, the most dissappointing thing about your posts is your inflated sense of self-worth and sense of entitlement from the organization. You're obviously a smart guy who knows a lot about hockey. But you quite often, like this thread, go QUACKERS about an issue and then believe it proves your ENTIRE point about how "sad" the organ-I-zation is. It's old.

Your constant "humor" at the expense of the team smacks of a shy 13 year old who has just found his own voice on internet message boards. I wouldn't be surprised if you were the guy who, when a King player lost his helmet last night on an aggressive forecheck, yelled "don't worry about it - they'll send it straight to Manchester". Zing! Great. Your beer drinking friends laugh and everyone else around you thinks you're a knob. That's what's happening to you here.

No, they're not geniuses in the Kings marketing department - I *agree* with you there. But you make your point in a curmudgeonly, smart-***, "I've been following this crappy team for a long time and I know better" way that turns everyone OFF (except your pal PSP). When you do it that way, you also turn all productive dialogue off.

Since you're a succesful music business guy, you must know by now that there are ways of getting your point accross that make people respect you and your experience. You still need to find that way.
Great post

Old
09-20-2006, 06:30 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
With posts like this, I doubt that he appreciates being ignored, but it's of his own doing, IMO.
LOL, you are kidding, aren't you?

Somehow I think you're serious. You know what's funny. I almost never pay attention to who replies and who doesn't. I mean, I know that there are a couple of people (Albi comes to mind) that I don't care for ANYTHING they EVER say, and I know that the feeling is mutual, but I don't go out of my way to post my disgust at their opinions on a regular basis. Then there are people like yourself that I almost always think offers reasonable sane insight (save for your take on the 9/11 debacle.) For the mostpart, I don't know one poster from the other and have not been keeping score for the past couple of years. It's really just a message board that allows me (for the most part) freedom to express my opinion. I use it almost as a blog, and perhaps a blog would be a better vehicle, but I enjoy this arena and continue to feel it offers me the best opportunity to express myself when I feel like it. I didn't know that half my posts were smart and the other half were stupid, but I might consider looking back at my posting history (save for the song title thread in the Entertainment area) and see which ones might be dumber than others. This rant from last night... 100% valid, and I would stand by it in front of Leiweke, Lombardi, Altieri, McGowan or anyone else that might have enough of a voice in the organ-eye-zation to admit their mistake last night.

Old
09-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
I wasn't far off, was I... they did ship him out today... sometimes it's good to attempt humor when the scene is nothing but morose.
You're really a die hard fan...I wish Jackman could have answered to you face to face. Now, THAT would have been funny. But I suspect you would have liked the beating...wouldn't you?

Old
09-20-2006, 06:33 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
Great post
perfect example of why I specifically called this guy out. Wastes copying an entire post and adds two words, just to show that he's not going to agree with anything I say, although he lives on another friggin' continent and has no clue what goes on within the infrastructure of the team's management, or how fan perception might actually skew more towards agreeing with me if polled. (and we are not talking uber-posters on a BBS, we are talking fans that walk into the arena, watch a game, and wonder who's who...)

Old
09-20-2006, 06:34 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
You're really a die hard fan...I wish Jackman could have answered to you face to face. Now, THAT would have been funny. But I suspect you would have liked the beating...wouldn't you?
Yeah, I suppose a guy half my age, physically assaulting a handicapped man in his 50s would be a real pleasant experience for all concerned.

Do me a favor and put me on ignore so you don't have to waste anyone's time with your ignorant responses to my posts.

Old
09-20-2006, 06:57 PM
ILuvLA

TT - there's no need to insult people because they don't agree with your opinion. It's not necessary to call people out or call them idiots.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but surprise, so is everyone else. At times you have a way of posting that is condescending, insulting & self righteous as hell. Other times, your posts are informative and make for great discussion. Please post more of the latter.

Old
09-20-2006, 07:08 PM
RightKinger

This thread really needs to be locked.

Closed Thread