HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013, 1st overall, Colorado) III

Old
04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Walkingthroughforest
ring bear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
You can make a pretty good case for Hall over Kane - the others not yet but certainly isn't out of the possibility.
Can you really? Kane already has a Stanley Cup, a phenomenal post season record and has over 400 points as well as hovering near PPG his entire career.

Hall isn't even close to Kane, yet.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:40 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
You can make a pretty good case for Hall over Kane - the others not yet but certainly isn't out of the possibility.
No way. The gap between Kane and Hall is probably the biggest out of the bunch.

Taylor Hall hasn't even finished 82 games in a season yet, not to mention Kane has won a Calder and a Stanley Cup where he could have easily won the Conn Smythe.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Can you really? Kane already has a Stanley Cup, a phenomenal post season record and has over 400 points as well as hovering near PPG his entire career.

Hall isn't even close to Kane, yet.
Well, the thread was originally stated to be about potential. So...
Otherwise, what is the point, Mackinnon would be dead last as he hasn't played a single game, yet.

Stamkos
Tavares
Mackinnon
Hall
RNH
Kane
Yakupov

Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:04 PM
bam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I simply laugh at anyone putting some of EDM's draft picks over Patrick Kane.

Man you guys are delusional. Plus MacKinnon, although he is good, has done nothing at the NHL level. It should be (with Nate fitting around RHN and Yakupov):

1. Stamkos
2. Tavares
3. Kane
4. Hall
5. RHN
6. Yakupov
Kane was by far the least touted #1 pick though. Leading into the draft it could have been any of him JVR or Turris, and the consensus was that none of the 3 were true franchise players. Turris was thought to have maybe become one, but not for a while - he also had a high bust factor though.

All of the other guys were clearly good enough to be 1st overall players in their draft year - and Seguin and Huberdeau were top notch prospects as well if the Oilers went that way anyways.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
Well, the thread was originally stated to be about potential. So...
Otherwise, what is the point, Mackinnon would be dead last as he hasn't played a single game, yet.

Stamkos
Tavares
Mackinnon
Hall
RNH
Kane
Yakupov
Based on potential Kane is near the top of the list. The guy has everything and more.

Stamkos
Kane
Tavares
Mackinnon
Hall
Yakupov
RNH

Tank For Reinhart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
Kane was by far the least touted #1 pick though. Leading into the draft it could have been any of him JVR or Turris, and the consensus was that none of the 3 were true franchise players. Turris was thought to have maybe become one, but not for a while - he also had a high bust factor though.

All of the other guys were clearly good enough to be 1st overall players in their draft year - and Seguin and Huberdeau were top notch prospects as well if the Oilers went that way anyways.
As a Flyers fan...not quite true. It was obvoius at the WJC and onward that Kane would be #1. And as far as MacKinnon, he still might not be a top 2 pick. No consensous on that. Personally, being from Halifax and seeing him a bunch, I think he will be great.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:08 PM
VanCanucks14

Most of you are severely underrating Kane. I'm actually baffled from reading through this thread.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:40 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's not even close to being true.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:58 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
That's not even close to being true.
Absolutely not! There is no comparing the two at the moment.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:09 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Absolutely not! There is no comparing the two at the moment.
Hall's ppg this year is 1.102 last year: .869 Kane's ppg is 1.119 this year and last year was .805 over an 82 games this year that's the difference of 1 point for kane. but Hall out produced him last season. and I realize there's much more to hockey then points but that's there main job on both teams and one plays on a much better team then the other so to say they aren't close at this point is pretty ridicoulous. considering Hall has actually been producing points at a high rate then kane over the last 2 years.

-DeMo- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

MacKinnon is behind Tavares and Stamkos. And Galchenyuk is ahead of Yakupov. (He's the true 1st overall)

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
No - you really can't .

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:53 PM
NS Bluenoser

MacKinnon is having a good playoffs, looks very comfortable despite the extra attention and physical play. Hat trick last night, 2nd goal was a beauty. He`s creating odd man chances every game with his speed.

http://youtu.be/OJIs-3MW_ps

NS Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:57 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Douin, no matter the team.

A) Hes a bit smaller
B) He was a riser in the draft, not a concensus #1 or #2 to start the year. MacK and Jones were always thought to be #1 or #2
C)He could be a winger

If HF loves 2 things its big centers. Thus why Barkov will be claimed to be the steal of the draft if he goes 4th
I agree. I am certainly not qualified to make the following statement because I havent seen these prospects as much as others, but after watching Drouin, Im just not sold on that his creativity will be as successful in the NHL. Again, I could be completely wrong, but Im just going by what I have seen. In regards to the Panthers, in their 20 years of existence, they have never had that center that you could consider top line talent. Bjugstad could become that top line center, but with MacKinnon, they are pretty much guaranteed to have one heck of a 1-2 punch down the middle.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:12 PM
SympathyForTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I agree. I am certainly not qualified to make the following statement because I havent seen these prospects as much as others, but after watching Drouin, Im just not sold on that his creativity will be as successful in the NHL. Again, I could be completely wrong, but Im just going by what I have seen. In regards to the Panthers, in their 20 years of existence, they have never had that center that you could consider top line talent. Bjugstad could become that top line center, but with MacKinnon, they are pretty much guaranteed to have one heck of a 1-2 punch down the middle.
Drouin's offense will translate just fine to the NHL. But unfortunately, with his small frame, I doubt Drouin will ever be more than an adequate defensive player. That's part of what makes MacKinnon a more compelling pick. He's bigger and faster, and there's no reason he couldn't be a versatile player who's great in all three zones.

I think both players will do great at the NHL level. But MacKinnon has just plain better physical assets.

SympathyForTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:10 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SympathyForTheDevils View Post
Drouin's offense will translate just fine to the NHL. But unfortunately, with his small frame, I doubt Drouin will ever be more than an adequate defensive player. That's part of what makes MacKinnon a more compelling pick. He's bigger and faster, and there's no reason he couldn't be a versatile player who's great in all three zones.

I think both players will do great at the NHL level. But MacKinnon has just plain better physical assets.
And he is a center. IMO, the hardest position to fill is top line center, and for a team like the Panthers, they need to fill that position via the draft. This is the perfect opportunity for them to really solidify this team moving forward.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:34 AM
markrander87

Nathan has looked very solid so far this series against Rouyn Noranda. He has taken a lot of defensive zone draws and has create a lot of offense off of the transition game from his speed. He also has broken up numerous plays from his speed while back checking.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

MacKinnon may end up in Tampa, if they continue to play they way they are. It'll be interesting to see how Florida approaches the first pick and if Colorado leapfrogs Tampa. If Florida looks to build down the middle, Tampa would fill a great need in Seth Jones; if Florida goes with Jones, Tampa can snag MacKinnon as a Lecavalier replacement.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Tripod

should be noted for those who didn't know...MacKinnon with 1G, 3A last night in a 5-4 OT win. Drouin had the same stat line.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Amazing display of speed and skill by Mackinnon tonight. Numerous scoring chances created.

One of his better games of the year, despite only 1 assist.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Beezeral

gonna look good with Huberdeau on his wing

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Henderson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
gonna look good with Huberdeau on his wing
Almost a lock.

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
I swear, the lottery had to have been rigged... the results were literally perfect. Colorado is going to get the guy who started the game there, Florida gets the guy who'll be perfect with Huberdeau, and Tampa Bay gets their eventual MSL replacement.

Tricky NHL.. they knew we caught on to their plan with Edmonton, thought they could throw us a change-up!!

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson19 View Post
Almost a lock.
I've said this elsewhere, but I think Florida has to consider Drouin, too. In the end, MacKinnon is the no-brainer pick considering position, name-power and NHL readiness. But, I wouldn't be shocked if Drouin was the guy they actually wanted more. A true French connection between him and Huberdeau could be something magical to watch.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

Wouldn't be surprised to see MacKinnon and Drouin go in the top 2.
How sick would it be to see Halifax vs. Portland in the Memorial Cup?

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote