HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "All Things NYC" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 02:30 PM
reaktorblue

vCash: 500
Going to Game 4 - Dinner Ideas?

I'll be going to MSG for game 4. Since I'm taking the train in and do not know the area, I figured I would ask around for some ideas. Does anyone have any recommendations that are within walking distance?

Old
05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
goalsequalvictory

There’s a million restaurants in that area, some very good, some very bad. It’s a touristy area, so a lot of the places are going to be overpriced tourist traps, and are going to be bad. If you tell me what sort of food you’re interested in and a price range(keep in mind NYC is expensive), I’ll give you a recommendation, but, just as a rule of thumb, if a place looks like a tourist trap, it probably will be, and most likely you do not want to eat there...

This is an all things NYC thread, I’m sure there are some recommendations in there as well. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=930787

Last edited by goalsequalvictory: 05-02-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added link to thread, reworded post
Old
05-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Crease

If you're me, it's a slice of pizza and a 32oz domestic at Rose's Penn Station. Otherwise, Rattle 'n Hum.

Yelp.com is a really great search engine and user review site. Give it a try.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:56 PM
JoeBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
If you're me, it's a slice of pizza and a 32oz domestic at Rose's Penn Station. Otherwise, Rattle 'n Hum.
That's what I usually go for if I need a bite to eat. If you looking to eat good, I highly recommend Keens Steakhouse. It's a couple blocks away walking distance from MSG.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
goalsequalvictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoo View Post
That's what I usually go for if I need a bite to eat. If you looking to eat good, I highly recommend Keens Steakhouse. It's a couple blocks away walking distance from MSG.
I’ll second Keens if you want to splurge, although it is quite pricy(if you have a glass of wine, dinner is probably $100 for app($15)/steak($50)/drink($10-15) including tip+tax($25 ish, you’re looking at 29% assuming you do 20% tip, tax is insane in NYC), but if you want to spend the $$$, it’s totally worth it.

For something on the other end of the price scale, New York Pizza Suprema(31st and 8th) is a classic, old school NYC pizza place that makes one of the best slices in the city, no frills(order at the counter and find a table), but a true NYC classic.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
Hey guys, where can i pick up hockeyrelated newspapers or magazines?
Like hockey news, cosbys had some but is there some other place, perhaps a bookstore?
Books is also intresting, going back to europe tonorrow and i want ro read some stuff on the plane
Preferably in midtown

Old
05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaktorblue View Post
I'll be going to MSG for game 4. Since I'm taking the train in and do not know the area, I figured I would ask around for some ideas. Does anyone have any recommendations that are within walking distance?
If you're looking to sit down at a mildly priced place, Cafe 31 right across from MSG is very solid. I like Irish Times a lot as well, which is on the same block.

Last edited by Ih8theislanders: 05-05-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old
05-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Mollly Wee

Old
05-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
There are a few good places right outside of MSG for bar food(burgers etc). i reccomend the Molly Wee, Stout and Flying Puck.
If you want to spend on a good meal I reccomend the Parlour and Keens.
If you are really on a budget Rose Pizza and Pasta is inexpensive for pizza and draft beer even though the beer prices went up substantially this year(probably due to the renovations at MSG)

Old
05-05-2013, 07:13 PM
mti79

Stout is good. Irish Times is good. I like Amadeus on 8th if you're just looking for pizza. Then you can hit up the stands near the LIRR for some beers and you're right under the Garden. There are plenty of options near MSG. I'm sure you'll find something.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:14 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
There are a few good places right outside of MSG for bar food(burgers etc). i reccomend the Molly Wee, Stout and Flying Puck.
If you want to spend on a good meal I reccomend the Parlour and Keens.
If you are really on a budget Rose Pizza and Pasta is inexpensive for pizza and draft beer even though the beer prices went up substantially this year(probably due to the renovations at MSG)
Just wondering if you were going to the game tomorrow.... I'm looking forward to being there myself.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Stout is good. Irish Times is good. I like Amadeus on 8th if you're just looking for pizza. Then you can hit up the stands near the LIRR for some beers and you're right under the Garden. There are plenty of options near MSG. I'm sure you'll find something.
Not a fan of Amadeus. For Pizza, I like Pronto over on Broadway and 35th or 36th. 5 minute walk or so from arena, and not as crowded. Never had a problem getting a seat. If you are into different types of slices (sausage, chicken parm slice, eggplant slice, pineapple and ham, etc) they always have a good selection.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:05 PM
PecaFan

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, had a great time at Flying Puck on Monday.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:43 AM
BlueShirts702

My first Ranger playoff game

So, I've been a Ranger fan my whole life but moved from NY when I was young. I've been to a bunch of regular season games, but never a Ranger playoff game. That all changes on Sunday. I'm in town for the debut of my uncles Documentary at the United Film festival in Brookyln and it just so happens that I lucked out for once! Saturday I'm going to the Isles game with my dad (Isles fan since the inception) and then Sunday he's returning the favor and going with me to the Rangers game!

My question to you guys is this: Is there an "after game" type bar where Ranger fans meet up for some celebratory libations or if things go south, a place to cry into my beer?

Thanks in advance guys and gals! I can't wait to rage on Sunday at the Garden.

LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!

Old
05-10-2013, 12:37 PM
patnyrnyg

Read this thread, you will see plenty of suggestions and various opinions. There are several places around the arena where people go for post-game drinks.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 776
Being a NHL fan can be though at times, just slept for 1,5h in my car right outside the police station.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Irenka

Meet players at MSG?

Hi everyone, I am new here and I have never been to MSG but I will be in New York during the games against Boston and I would love to meet/see Jaromir Jagr before/after the game or practice session.

Do you have any tips how to do this? Is there an exit people wait at or how does this work? Was anyone successful? Thank you!

Old
05-15-2013, 01:34 AM
EasyKreider NYR

If you wait around in the lobby about 45 to an hour after the game ends some players walk out that way to grab a cab. Met DZ and Nash after Game 3 vs the caps and Hags, Prust, Boyle, Stralman, Dubi and Woywitka last year.

There's also a side entrance where the players park their cars you can catch them going through there.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:42 AM
TriFF51
USA Hockey

Ive gotten many autographs waiting across from the parking garage on the 31st street side of the garden. I'm going with a friend to game 3 so i'll probably end up there again. They usually show up 2 and a half hours before the game (regular season games anyway).

Old
05-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Irenka

Great, thank you everyone. Where is the entrance where they park their cars? I know about the garage exit on 31st street but I thought they will just drive out and not stop...

Old
05-15-2013, 10:15 AM
district9

I was pretty curious about where players come out after the games too, I've never actually waited around long enough to see. I'll be going to game 4 alone so if it's a win I might try to stick around and catch some players leaving

Old
05-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Captain Monglobster

I haven't done it in years but I have an entire Lindros jersey covered in autographs that I got from waiting across the street from the parking garage after games. If you go enough times you'll see everybody. Met Jagr, Gilbert, Rosen, Girardi, Callahan, Orr, the list goes on.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Irenka

So how did you meet them? Do they drive there and stop for fans?

Old
05-16-2013, 02:27 AM
TriFF51
USA Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenka View Post
I'm not sure about after the game cause ive never stuck around...but beforehand they just walk across the street from the parking garage and usually there's only about 5 or 6 people waiting so they usually sign stuff, just gotta be polite. I have a big Rangers flag and ive gotten plenty of signatures there. (Staal, Avery, Prust, Anisimov, Sauer, Cally...sadly missed Henrik by about a minute last time)

Old
05-16-2013, 09:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenka View Post
Yell "I will not be ignored!"