HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article on Hugh Jessiman

Old
09-20-2006, 05:14 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
So I guess the question is, if Hugh falls into an area with these guys. What are your thoughts on him?

I'm just asking all these questions out of curiousity.
To me, that is a bust. Taken that high, in the deepest draft in 30 years or so, simply being a solid bottom-2 line role player is not good enough. Maybe it will be good enough for another team, but for the team that drafted him (much like Ward & the Habs) it is not nearly enough.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I think hugh's going to be considered a bust if he doesn't become a top two line powerfoward, not only because of where he was drafted but also because of his draft class. 2003 may go down as one of the greatest first rounds of all time, and Hugh is going to suffer in comparison to his peers.

The only way Hugh becomes a bottom line guy and shakes off the bust label is if he becomes a lights out defensive foward that plays an important part on several playoff teams. Charecter and defensive players make names for themselves in the playoffs, and if Hugh where to play an important role on a few cup runs then I think the burden of initial expectations would be lifted.
You have managed to articulate what I've been trying to say for about a year now.

....So thanks for that.

When I consider Edge's question I ask myself "what if Jessiman were able to deliver to the Rangers what Bob Nystrom gave the Islanders or what Stephane Matteau gave the Rangers in '94."

If we got that from Hugh during the regular season and playoffs, I'd be pretty happy. And again to have that and a huge body like Hugh playing for you would be pretty decent. Maybe not as good as you would want from a #1 pick in a great draft year, but not too shabby either.

As Mick Jagger so eloquently put it " you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need."

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 06:24 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
You have managed to articulate what I've been trying to say for about a year now.

....So thanks for that.

When I consider Edge's question I ask myself "what if Jessiman were able to deliver to the Rangers what Bob Nystrom gave the Islanders or what Stephane Matteau gave the Rangers in '94."

If we got that from Hugh during the regular season and playoffs, I'd be pretty happy. And again to have that and a huge body like Hugh playing for you would be pretty decent. Maybe not as good as you would want from a #1 pick in a great draft year, but not too shabby either.

As Mick Jagger so eloquently put it " you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need."
Matteau was actually who I had in mind.

I still think, if Hugh turns into a bottom line guy, that it's a dissapointing pick considering the players taken around him. But we should also take care not to hold that against the player, he can't help where he was drafted. If Hugh turns into an important cog in a cup chalenging team then I'll be happy with him, even if I'm dissapointed in the pick itself.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Pizza

Again, I could not have said this better myself....and I did not, so thanks again. LOL.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 07:39 PM
xander

umm, your welcome.

I'm not sure why I felt the need to reiterate the point there, guess I just don't know when to shut up sometimes.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote