HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

It's the 20th anniversary of the greatest all time individual seasons in sports

Old
05-04-2013, 06:39 AM
TheRumble

vCash: 500
It's the 20th anniversary of the greatest all time individual seasons in sports

So how come it's so ignored? No ESPN 30 for 30, barely a mention on either country's Sportscentre hell, not even a post on the HFBoards!

When we think of truly amazing individual seasons in sports history a bunch of names will make the list:

The four Gretzky 200+ point years
Pedro Martinez's 1999 and 2000 campaigns
Tiger Woods 2000
Lionel Messi 2012
Wilt Chamberlain's 1962
Oscar Robertson's Triple Double Seasons
Babe Ruth's 1920
Adrian Peterson's 2012
etc.

Where is the case for Mario Lemieux's 1992-93 season? He played 60 games and tallied 69 goals (second in the league), 91 assists (third) and 160 points (first). On the surface, it looks like a typical Mario Lemieux season - amazing stats but cut short due to injury.

However, the 1992-93 season was the year he went down due to cancer. ESPN made a huge deal out of Adrian Peterson coming back from a torn ligament only six months after injuring it. Mario Lemieux missed three months of hockey to get chemotherapy in the middle of the season and his rehab time after his last chemo treatment was ONE DAY.

Anyone who has gone through or seen someone close to them go through chemotherapy understands how utterly insane it is for someone to go through it and then come back to play hockey. Not only did Lemieux do that, he did it at an elite level and outscored 600 or so other players despite playing 30% less games. Where else does that happen? Pitchers winning the strikeout crown while only appearing in 20 games? Runningbacks playing 11 games and still managing to make the top 3 in terms of yards rushed and touchdowns? Utterly impossible, but Lemieux did it.

The Penguins' record without Lemieux during his layoff: 10-9-2.
The Penguins' record after Lemieux returned: 17-2, after losing the first two games in his return, they won 17 straight and went from contending for the last playoff spot to President's Cup winner. 17 straight wins is still an NHL record and it's made more amazing by the fact that it was achieved during an era where ties often made up 10-15% of an average team's record. On top of it, the only reason the streak ended was because the regular season ended after the 17th win. The Penguins won their first three playoff games as well.

The Gretzky vs Lemieux vs Orr debates are popular on this board so I won't get into that. I just wanted to show some appreciation for one of the all time great individual seasons in sports history - not just hockey. To this day, it baffles me how criminally ignored this is.

The long and short:

Guy gets cancer in the middle of an NHL season, comes back late, wins the scoring race and leads his team for 17 straight victories while still having one of the all time great offensive seasons (cancer or no cancer). It's really difficult for me to imagine another individual season in the history of SPORTS that was greater than the Lemieux 92-93 campaign.

TheRumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Irato99

A few corrections...
  • Mario missed about two months, not three (last game : January 5th, return : March 2nd)
  • He was third in goals and fourth in assists
  • While he was gone Pittsburgh went 11-10-2 during 23 games
  • The season ended in a tie against NJ after the 17 wins

Irato99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Kloparren
Hth

Speaking of....did anyone read that Todd Denault book A Season In Time about that season? I'm just a chapter in so far.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irato99 View Post
A few corrections...
  • Mario missed about two months, not three (last game : January 5th, return : March 2nd)
  • He was third in goals and fourth in assists
  • While he was gone Pittsburgh went 11-10-2 during 23 games
  • The season ended in a tie against NJ after the 17 wins
Also, I'm pretty sure Mario's cancer was treated with radiation, not chemotherapy.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Speaking of....did anyone read that Todd Denault book A Season In Time about that season? I'm just a chapter in so far.
I enjoyed the book...crazy how many all-time great moments/stories occurred that year.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote