HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL 2013-14 Season (ideal alignment)

Old
09-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Frostbite Warrior

vCash: 500
AHL 2013-14 Season (ideal alignment)

What is your ideal 2014 Alignment of all 30 AHL Teams

Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 12:02 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 103
Abbotsford to the South (now called West)
Charlotte to the East (pretty sure that it's in the league bylaws that any realignment must move them)
Syracuse to the North

Everyone else remains the same.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Frostbite Warrior

AHL 2013 Season (ideal alignment)

What is your ideal 2013 AHL Alignment?

Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:25 PM
adsfan

Milwaukee in a division by themselves. They always make the playoffs that way!

MKE, CHI, PEO, RCK and Iowa. No more than 10 games against any of them, not 12.

Two games against Rochester, the only Western team not played (again).

Abby goes to the West to replace Houston and GR replaces Abby.

The Eastern Conf stays the same.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 103
I'll hold off on that until we know for sure if Abbotsford's moving to Utica and if Peoria's moving to Abbotsford.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:11 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

What ever gets Grand Rapids to the Eastern conference so I can watch some of the Wings prospect.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:26 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Assuming the rumors are true with Peoria leaving and Utica getting a team.

Norfolk moves from East to South. Utica joins the East. Iowa joins the Midwest.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:57 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

I'm not going to even do the first iota of speculation or work on alignment until the roster of teams and cities is actually known. No clue where Peoria is going (if anywhere), and that could make major alignment difference.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Cynicaps

If Peoria does end up in Vancouver, this setup may be the best one possible given that it'd only last a year between uncertainity of where Calgary's affiliate ends up and the Adirondack move to Lehigh Valley.

Atlantic: STJ/POR/MCH/WOR/PRO
Northeast: ADK/ALB/SPR/HFD/BRI
East: BNG/WBS/HER/NOR/CHA
North: SYR/ROC/HAM/TOR/LKE
Midwest: GRR/CHI/RFD/MIL/IA
West: TEX/SA/OKC/ABB/VAN

If Calgary decides to stay out west after all, this would work very well as in 2014 there could be a simple swap between ADK/LV and BNG between divisions and it'd create a true Mid-Atlantic division. Also, under this alignment "Great Lakes" may be a better name for the North.

Also, has any team in the history of the AHL let alone any sport period has been as hosed in regards to alignment as the Charlotte Checkers? For a league where rivalries are king, being a division rival to more than half the teams in the league in a short span is just shameful.

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:29 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicaps View Post
If Peoria does end up in Vancouver, this setup may be the best one possible given that it'd only last a year between uncertainity of where Calgary's affiliate ends up and the Adirondack move to Lehigh Valley.

If Calgary decides to stay out west after all, this would work very well as in 2014 there could be a simple swap between ADK/LV and BNG between divisions and it'd create a true Mid-Atlantic division. Also, under this alignment "Great Lakes" may be a better name for the North.

Also, has any team in the history of the AHL let alone any sport period has been as hosed in regards to alignment as the Charlotte Checkers? For a league where rivalries are king, being a division rival to more than half the teams in the league in a short span is just shameful.
Charlotte is an outpost. The AHL could use a team or two in KY or Knoxville, TN or maybe Gwinnett, GA, or Ashville, NC. I think the AHL is rotating Charlotte to show off the new team and build some rivals. I know that I like to see them in Milwaukee!

Old
05-02-2013, 09:53 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Charlotte is an outpost. The AHL could use a team or two in KY or Knoxville, TN or maybe Gwinnett, GA, or Ashville, NC. I think the AHL is rotating Charlotte to show off the new team and build some rivals. I know that I like to see them in Milwaukee!
Gwinnett certainly has the facility but it would take the current Gladiators ownership willing to buy an AHL team or having an NHL team that owns its AHL affiliate to move it to Gwinnett. So Charlotte could be screwed for a while.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:56 AM
tenpinsplit

Quote:

it would be great of binghamton could get out of the east. the other divions would be a cake walk.

tenpinsplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
I think the AHL is rotating Charlotte to show off the new team and build some rivals. I know that I like to see them in Milwaukee!
A team cannot build new rivals when it set of divisional rivals changes with each year. Norfolk's an outlier but they've at least tried to build rivalries with the Pennsylvania teams and had a budding rivalry with Charlotte going until the AHL made the Checkers the hot potato of the league.

Taking advantage of a city because of its position as an air hub is one thing, but rivals are built with stability which Charlotte doesn't have right now. Just watch them put them with the LKE/ROC/HAM/TOR pairing instead of doing the right thing which would be moving Syracuse over. And we deal with conferences in the AHL why?

And since this came up while I was replying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpinsplit View Post
it would be great of binghamton could get out of the east. the other divions would be a cake walk.
In my alignment, BNG would have only one year left in the East and would take the spot vacated by Adirondack in the Northeast.

Last edited by Cynicaps: 05-03-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old
05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
I'm not going to even do the first iota of speculation or work on alignment until the roster of teams and cities is actually known. No clue where Peoria is going (if anywhere), and that could make major alignment difference.
Just bumping my original reply. It makes no sense to even try to solve the problematic issues until you know where all the problems are in this case.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:25 PM
adsfan

Quote:
A team cannot build new rivals when it set of divisional rivals changes with each year. Norfolk's an outlier but they've at least tried to build rivalries with the Pennsylvania teams and had a budding rivalry with Charlotte going until the AHL made the Checkers the hot potato of the league.

Taking advantage of a city because of its position as an air hub is one thing, but rivals are built with stability which Charlotte doesn't have right now. Just watch them put them with the LKE/ROC/HAM/TOR pairing instead of doing the right thing which would be moving Syracuse over. And we deal with conferences in the AHL why?
Milwaukee played Charlotte 8 times this season. That is the same amount as Grand Rapids, who was in the same division as Milwaukee this year. While Charlotte was in a different division this season, in effect, they were the 6th team in the Midwest. Charlotte also played Peoria 8 times, Chicago 4 times, Rockford 4 times, Grand Rapids 2 times. That was 26 games against the Midwest Division.

Milwaukee played Texas 2 times, OKC 4 times, Houston 4 times and SA 2 times. So Charlotte was 8 out of the 20 games against the South Division for Milwaukee.

Rochester is the only team that I know for sure that splits their games between the two conferences. They didn't play Milwaukee, the only team in the WC that the Admirals did not play in 2012-13. They haven't played for a few years.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Disengage

Quote:
Milwaukee played Charlotte 8 times this season. That is the same amount as Grand Rapids, who was in the same division as Milwaukee this year. While Charlotte was in a different division this season, in effect, they were the 6th team in the Midwest. Charlotte also played Peoria 8 times, Chicago 4 times, Rockford 4 times, Grand Rapids 2 times. That was 26 games against the Midwest Division.

Milwaukee played Texas 2 times, OKC 4 times, Houston 4 times and SA 2 times. So Charlotte was 8 out of the 20 games against the South Division for Milwaukee.

Rochester is the only team that I know for sure that splits their games between the two conferences. They didn't play Milwaukee, the only team in the WC that the Admirals did not play in 2012-13. They haven't played for a few years.
Correct. Rochester had 12 vs. HAM, 10 vs. SYR and TOR, 8 vs. ABB and BIN, 4 vs. LE/ADK/ALB, and 2 vs. WBS/HER/GR/TEX/HOU/SA/OKC

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Disengage

I feel like the best set up at this point would be a 3 conference system

Western Conference: Texas, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Iowa, Milwaukee, Chicago, Rockford, Abbotsford, Vancouver/Peoria, Grand Rapids

Eastern Conference: Lake Erie, Toronto, Hamilton, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Adirondack/Lehigh Valley, Albany, Hershey, WBS

Atlantic Conference: St. John's, Portland, Manchester, Worcester, Providence, Springfield, Hartford, Bridgeport, Norfolk, Charlotte

Old
05-04-2013, 01:03 PM
mk80

Syracuse moves into the North Division- Charlotte slides into the East Division

after that I would say since most likely as a temporary solution until next year when Vancouver and Calgary get everything worked out... just move Abbotsford into the South (since they are moving anyway in the next few years) that opens a spot for Grand Rapids in the North, Iowa fits into the Midwest.

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:32 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
I feel like the best set up at this point would be a 3 conference system

Western Conference: Texas, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Iowa, Milwaukee, Chicago, Rockford, Abbotsford, Vancouver/Peoria, Grand Rapids

Eastern Conference: Lake Erie, Toronto, Hamilton, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Adirondack/Lehigh Valley, Albany, Hershey, WBS

Atlantic Conference: St. John's, Portland, Manchester, Worcester, Providence, Springfield, Hartford, Bridgeport, Norfolk, Charlotte
I like this arrangement!

Old
05-04-2013, 01:42 PM
AdmiralsFan24

I like that arrangement too but how would the playoffs work?

Old
05-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Disengage

Quote:
I like this arrangement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I like that arrangement too but how would the playoffs work?
1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, so on in the first round with conference. Reseed until a conference champion is crowned. Best of 3 for the two lower seeded conference champions to play top seeded conference champion in finals.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:55 PM
glovesave37

With the NHL going to 2 divisions per conference, I could see the AHL doing the same

Chi, Rfd, Mke, SA, Tex, OKC, Iowa, Cha
LEM, Tor, Ham, Roc, GR, Abb, Van
Her, WBS, Bng, Syr, Nor, Adk, Alb
Stj, Man, Wor, Pro, Por, Spr, Hfd, Bri

glovesave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:11 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, so on in the first round with conference. Reseed until a conference champion is crowned. Best of 3 for the two lower seeded conference champions to play top seeded conference champion in finals.
So 24 teams make the playoffs? Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:44 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
So 24 teams make the playoffs? Yeah, that's not going to happen.
My idea is to have 16 teams in the playoffs, like now. I guess you take 1 to 16 and pair them off. Round 2 again has the highest seed play the lowest. In Round 3, you try to avoid teams from the same conference playing each other. It will work, but you could get 2 teams from the same conference in the finals, even if that is unlikely to happen. It should be a 1 in 4 chance.

Last edited by adsfan: 05-05-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave37 View Post
With the NHL going to 2 divisions per conference, I could see the AHL doing the same

Chi, Rfd, Mke, SA, Tex, OKC, Iowa, Cha
LEM, Tor, Ham, Roc, GR, Abb, Van
Her, WBS, Bng, Syr, Nor, Adk, Alb
Stj, Man, Wor, Pro, Por, Spr, Hfd, Bri
Move CHA in with the third group and this could work.