HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good conversations between Nino + NYI

Old
05-05-2013, 01:17 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Good conversations between Nino + NYI

There's been some criticism from fans, about Nino joining the Swiss team at the WC instead of the Isles black aces. The Isles let Lee return to Notre Dame, so he could finish up classes. The only one of the AHL callups to travel to Pittsburgh, was Anders Nilson the goalie. Everyone else has been doing fan pr events.

At the WC, Nino's been one of his team's best players, scoring 2 goals in the first two games. The Swiss have upset Swedan and Canada.

There's a short blurb in the article below, about Nino and the Isles having good conversations. He's waiting for his next chance to stick on LI.

http://www.nzz.ch/nzzas/nzz-am-sonnt...den-1.18076134
One year contract

Niederreiter guards are expressing similar revenge. His contract with the islanders will continue a season. The next opportunity is sure to come. The Club is not prematurely write off his first-round draft pick and give to a competitor. Nagar says: I have had some very good discussions with the Islanders. The content of this he wants to not be expressed. "There were things that should remain between me and the management."

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:45 PM
malPHONEY

That's good to hear. We need a player like Niederreiter in the top six.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Isles Junkie

If we didn't have a hoarder for a GM, I'd say that nino will be traded this offseason.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:50 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
If we didn't have a hoarder for a GM, I'd say that nino will be traded this offseason.
It makes sense if they want to upgrade the defense. With Okposo, Bailey, Moulson, Grabner and potentially Strome, that leaves only one top-9 wing open. My guess is it will go to one of Martin/Ullstrom/Lee and Nino will be used as bait.

I like him, but I would definitely make him available for a legit young/ish top-4.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Beastrt

Quote:
I used to agree with this statement, but im starting to think capuano finally realizes bailey can play with tavares (only took 3 years). Nino can replace boyes on the first line.

Bailey/Tavares/ Nino
Moulson/Strome/Okposo
Ullstrom/Nielsen/Grabner
Martin/czikas/ mcdonald

Nelson if somebody gets hurt

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:02 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
I used to agree with this statement, but im starting to think capuano finally realizes bailey can play with tavares (only took 3 years). Nino can replace boyes on the first line.

Bailey/Tavares/ Nino
Moulson/Strome/Okposo
Ullstrom/Nielsen/Grabner
Martin/czikas/ mcdonald

Nelson if somebody gets hurt
My concern is that Moulson's a ufa in 2014. He's taken two cheap deals.With a new wife and baby, I think he'll be looking for a big contract.

I'm not penciling Moulson into the long term lineup.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
My concern is that Moulson's a ufa in 2014. He's taken two cheap deals.With a new wife and baby, I think he'll be looking for a big contract.

I'm not penciling Moulson into the long term lineup.
I'd have zero problem if they turned Matt Moulson into something useful this summer.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:29 PM
doug88

That's a great thing he's playing for the swiss team and not for the isles, haha stupid snow! Hope el nino finds a new club for next season..

Last edited by doug88: 05-05-2013 at 05:38 PM.
doug88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Le Golie

I watched his game today. Nino was an impact player for the Swiss, he was strong on the puck and creating a lot of havoc for the Canadian defencemen. I really like that the Isles let him play here, he will be a better player because of it.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:10 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug88 View Post
That's a great thing he's playing for the swiss team and not for the isles, haha stupid snow! Hope el nino finds a new club for next season..
I wouldn't call Snow a genius, but he's a lot further from stupid than many assume. Nino was simply rushed - more due to a combo of Wang forcing austerity and a shortage of willing free agents. He didn't show much of anything when he was here other than giving the impression that he was pretty overwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong - Nino is STILL a blue-chipper with awesome potential, and I don't see how he won't turn his game around and fit right into the Claude Lemieux/Brendan Shanahan mold he's been projected to reach. Though at this juncture, the Islanders need a vet in that top-6 pretty badly, and the answer clearly isn't Brad Boyes.

While I'd like to see Nino develop and reach his potential here, if a package for the right player (from the East Coast whom Anaheim may not be able to easily afford) were to involve Niederreiter, it could benefit both teams to make the swap. I doubt Nino's out of the picture any more than any other Islander forward not wearing 91, 17, 21, 12 or 40, but he could be quite the kind of piece to entice another team to be amenable to a trade...

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:32 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I had to laugh, at how pissy the writer of the article was on Nino's behalf, while Nino refused to be sucked into saying anything negative or controversial.

Only fans think Nino has the leverage to force a trade.
Nino and his agent seem to have gotten a clue: play hard, quit complaining and you'll get another chance in Sept. training camp.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:38 PM
duster19

Id be asking Lombardi everyday if he wanted Nino for Bernier. I doubt Snow moves him.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:43 PM
redbull
game on

Bob McKenzie talked about Garth and Nino today on the TSN broadcast. He said the Isles and Nino had a discussion in the year and said (paraphrasing): "we want you to play and develop. You're an important part of our team, we have some fill-ins like Boyes and Aucoin and you don't need to be rushed"

I trust BMack....guy doesn't make stuff up.

And I saw the CAN-SUI game and Nino definitely looked good. Much improved over the player I saw last season with the NYI!

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:47 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
I'd have zero problem if they turned Matt Moulson into something useful this summer.
They will if they are smart. Moulson's value could realistically be a mid-late 1st as well as a solid prospect. On paper, he's a guy who has scored 30+ goals over the last 3 full seasons, and was on pace for a career high in points this year.

No harm in taking a few calls on him. If you don't like what you hear, keep him and let the chips fall where they may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Id be asking Lombardi everyday if he wanted Nino for Bernier. I doubt Snow moves him.
No effing way. That's a trade that would probably haunt us for a long time. Nino should be bait for a top-2 or 3 defender or an ESTABLISHED goaltender(think Halak).

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:53 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
They will if they are smart. Moulson's value could realistically be a mid-late 1st as well as a solid prospect. On paper, he's a guy who has scored 30+ goals over the last 3 full seasons, and was on pace for a career high in points this year.

No harm in taking a few calls on him. If you don't like what you hear, keep him and let the chips fall where they may.

No effing way. That's a trade that would probably haunt us for a long time. Nino should be bait for a top-2 or 3 defender or an ESTABLISHED goaltender(think Halak).
Id rather bernier then halak.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:55 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Bob McKenzie talked about Garth and Nino today on the TSN broadcast. He said the Isles and Nino had a discussion in the year and said (paraphrasing): "we want you to play and develop. You're an important part of our team, we have some fill-ins like Boyes and Aucoin and you don't need to be rushed"

I trust BMack....guy doesn't make stuff up.

And I saw the CAN-SUI game and Nino definitely looked good. Much improved over the player I saw last season with the NYI!
That's kind of cold in regards to Boyes and Aucoin being placeholders, but it is the truth. We can definitely upgrade either spot.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:59 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That's kind of cold in regards to Boyes and Aucoin being placeholders, but it is the truth. We can definitely upgrade either spot.
Aucoin trys hard, but he needs replacing.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:00 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
BMack mentioned those names. I would doubt they were specifically mentioned to Nino.

Aucoin has been pretty good defensively, overall as well, even with no points, too small, etc. he's a smart player.

But I agree that an upgrade to Boyes and Aucoin would help this team.

If Nino, Strome, Nelson can make this team and contribute, this could be a dangerous team for a long time.

(Need a goalie and another top dman too !)

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post

Bernier has played very well for the Kings and was their goalie of the future until Quick's playoff run last year. Trading him for Nio would not be a bad deal at all.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:37 PM
periferal

Quote:
I'm 1000% cool with it as long as it doesn't upset Tavares. Problem is I doubt Moulson is worth that much across the league.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:43 PM
periferal

I'd rather deal a 1st round pick for a franchise goalie than Nino. I believe there's something special about that kid the way there's something special about Tavares, and he will eventually blossom into a great NHL player.

Therefore I'm only dealing him for another special player (someone like Karlsson would be an example. And yes I know that wouldn't be a one for one trade).

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:58 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

2 months ago he wanted out..now our team is looking good in the playoffs and he wants in

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I'm 1000% cool with it as long as it doesn't upset Tavares. Problem is I doubt Moulson is worth that much across the league.
Quote:
So long as Tavares is on the team so is Moulson.

05-05-2013, 10:10 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
2 months ago he wanted out..now our team is looking good in the playoffs and he wants in
Which is a GOOD thing - that particular mantra running through ALL drafted prospects wouldn't bug one bit. It makes them work harder, fight harder and produce more - the end result being a far cry from when the roster was barren and guys like Bailey and Okposo arguably had more talent on draft day than the rest of the roster all the way to the top.

I like it. I like that Nino wants to be part of the straw that stirs the drink. Whether or not it denatures into a negative influence remains to be seen, but I want Nino bumping bodies and causing trouble with confidence when he arrives for real.

Despite the fact that Bobby Ryan's name winds up in 90% of the posts I chime in on regarding Nino, I have high hopes for the kid, and if he peaks right he could make such trade ideas/BS/speculation moot. He'll be a bit of a project to be sure, but there's less of a need to trade for an ornery power forward who enjoys initiating contact and pissing off opponents if we already have a player of that mold here.

Regardless, SOME kind of vet presence is the obvious next step, and they'll need to be a leg up (or three or four) over the Aucoins and Reasoners of the world. I find it pretty amazing that such a young roster has this much fight and charisma. They could wind up proving the "mob justice" angle, should they develop proper.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote