HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching Staff Discussion: Summer Rehab Edition

Old
05-05-2013, 07:32 PM
vodeni

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
The Isles ARE a good team! Or you donīt see it?

Please folks, I completely understand all of the bashing to our team, because itīs well deserved, but please.. STOP CALLING THE ISLES AN INFERIOR TEAM! Because they are playing tremendous hockey right now. They were playing it all the second half of the regular season and deservingly were the team with best puck possession in the league, with best shots ratio in the league and with one of the best records in the league in 2nd half of the RS..

As crazy as it sounds(because they are still ISLES), they are not playing like a typical 8th seed. Maybe they are the biggest test possible for us with the way they play. Soo dangerous.

Maybe Iīm the lonely case here, but if we make it out of this R1, then I think we are going very far. I just donīt know IF we make it out of this R1. Itīs one hell of a test.
I am sorry but just by saying those words (if we make it out of R1 with friggin Islanders) you make me go nuts

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I'd consider Guy Boucher, John Hynes or Larry Robinson. Probably nobody else.
Tippett? a defensive system that finds a way to allow Yandle and OEL to excel offensively sounds good. his contract is up and his franchise is up for relocation...

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
I am sorry but just by saying those words (if we make it out of R1 with friggin Islanders) you make me go nuts
Yeah, I know that it sounds crazy like hell. But we have to give them credit. I know Bylsma is trying to find a solution, but itīs not easy right now. I hate to say it, but I am expecting the exact same picture in game 4 and I donīt know how much Bylsma can do against it. These Isles are definitely a better team than the last yearīs Flyers were..

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Dunno how fair it is to say fire DB if we dont make cup finals. He's not going to hop in net and stop the puck for us when/if Fleury turns into "Playoff Fleury" again.

Although if he let's that happen without putting Vokoun in net then he probably deserves to be fired anyways.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:07 PM
specialized

Let's bring in Mike Keenan.... I'm sure Stephen Mettau would come out of retirement to play for him...

specialized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
Dunno how fair it is to say fire DB if we dont make cup finals. He's not going to hop in net and stop the puck for us when/if Fleury turns into "Playoff Fleury" again.

Although if he let's that happen without putting Vokoun in net then he probably deserves to be fired anyways.
Let's see playoff fleury or Vokoun who takes 30 seconds to go post to post...

plaidchuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Fleury3434

We all just need to relax...I understand reading these boards it is easy to jump the bridge and panic, but the pens got this...isles need to win 3/4 now and that's probably not gonna happen...fleury has played good; a couple unlucky bounces and penalties at the wrong place/wrong time...the isles ARE a good team! I think I read a stat in the last 24 games they have only been loses once going into the third period...and that was game 1...in fact I think if the pens get out of this series, we will matchup better against the r2 team then we do with the isles

Fleury3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Jacob

Keenan's a weird one. I wouldn't be against him, but he's not ideal. By his own admission he makes almost all coaching decisions based on his gut rather than like, actual evidence like stats and I think that kind of thing probably doesn't fly anymore. He also basically never practices power plays.

He's not the type that lasts a while. I'd bring him in if my team had like a 1 year window to compete for the Stanley Cup and I was kind of desperate.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:43 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

If they don't reach the conference finals I would fire him. If they lose ugly regardless of round I would fire him.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:51 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Keenan's a weird one. I wouldn't be against him, but he's not ideal. By his own admission he makes almost all coaching decisions based on his gut rather than like, actual evidence like stats and I think that kind of thing probably doesn't fly anymore. He also basically never practices power plays.

He's not the type that lasts a while. I'd bring him in if my team had like a 1 year window to compete for the Stanley Cup and I was kind of desperate.
I actually like that he does that. Don't over-think with stats. Hockey is such a natural game and you can sense things happening by simply just watching the game. Watch tape, see what they do, adjust. Stats - naaah. Doesn't tell the story.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Penguinzilla

Most people focus on our elite forwards but don't realize that we have a bunch of dmen - and potentially a goalie - that blow.

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:57 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I actually like that he does that. Don't over-think with stats. Hockey is such a natural game and you can sense things happening by simply just watching the game. Watch tape, see what they do, adjust. Stats - naaah. Doesn't tell the story.
This board would lose its **** if Keenan decided he wanted someone popular here out of town. People get antsy enough about Bylsma not favoring certain young players. Just imagine if a Despres or a Bennett ended up in Keenan's dog house. He's single handedly destroyed careers. (Look up Todd Bergen, for example.) He seems like a toxic guy and I wouldn't want him coaching any team I support.

Last edited by BrunoPuntzJones: 05-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.
BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Who do you want in his place, Ruff?

Okay, fine.

Ray Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Tippett? a defensive system that finds a way to allow Yandle and OEL to excel offensively sounds good. his contract is up and his franchise is up for relocation...
Its fun to talk about. I would think outside the box and go with Ulfie. Tippett and the Yotes really went out of their way to say how great he was in their short time there. IMO he would be a great x's and o's guy while having an attitude between MT and Bylsma.

I ***** and moan about the Pens a lot... a whole lot but I don't want Disco going anywhere. I like how he handles himself and the team. I also think he's gotten better with in game adjustments. I think people forget just how new to coaching he is and he's still getting better every day.

That being said the lack of focus from this team is a little bit weird. In the last month of Pens hockey there have been a ton of changes. Trades, players lost and coming back from injury and lots of tweaks to the line up. Hockey is so systematic driven now its crazy. Maybe its not a lack of focus and more of an issue with chemistry???

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Coaches with his kind of winning % and recent performance in the regular season don't get fired from a playoff loss. Now there is the possibility should the team get off to a long losing streak next season that he could be canned in the manner that Boudreau was. It's just extremely unlikely as Bylsma is widely regarded as a great coach by the media and it would be unprecedented and create a huge controversy if he was fired.

I will state that I personally am not satisfied with him as coach, I am just resigned to the fact we're stuck with him for quite a while. He has already won a cup so the argument and I believe he's had the highest winning % out of any current coaches or something like it.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:38 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

And if we, say, win the Stanley Cup what then? Does everyone lay off of Dan Bylsma, eat crow, and just assume he knows what he's doing?

Of course no one does!

TravisUlrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Wait, what has Paul Maurice won?

Nietzsche Zone Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:53 PM
SidNeedsNoWingers
He can do it all!

I know this would never happen, but if Bylsma does not make line/defense adjustments (in this round or any other except SCF) and the Pens are playing badly and facing an elimination game, I wish Shero would fire Bylsma ala Lamoriello with the Devils. THEN Mario can be the interim coach (remember, in this scenario, they're basically done after one more game anyway)...

Imagine having Mario come in and blast the team's play/emotion/compete level...he would not have trouble calling out/benching/demoting veterans...he would not be in love with 4th liners. Mario coaching would maybe even fire up the CEC crowd a bit.

Most thought that this lineup was so stacked that making lines would be easy (unless you're Bylsma, apparently )...so who cares that Mario's never coached, haha...or heck, let Shero decide the lines/lineup for the game and tell them all he's watching to see who wants to be on the team next year.

Best case, it works and ; worst case, the Pens made a statement as an organization and can move on to Tippett or whoever next year.

Again, I know that 1) Mario has never coached and likely wouldn't want to, and 2) the Pens would likely not do that to their Stanley-Cup-winning, Jack-Adams-winning, first-in-the-conference coach, but...I can dream .

SidNeedsNoWingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:

I could only imagine Keenan doing his musical goalies routine with Fleury.

That could get ugly fast.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:35 PM
lastcupever75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post

We made two SCF's by making other teams defensemen eat the glass over and over and over.
true.

but is that on DB or the players he got. the one guy we have that does that is the board's whipping boy. and i'd say a good portion of this board wants skill players over guys thyat hit in the bottom 6

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Let's see playoff fleury or Vokoun who takes 30 seconds to go post to post...
it doesnt matter how long it takes you to get there if once you're there you put it in your own net or slide right by the net.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:

scotty bowman out of retirement pls. guy boucher would be the guy id look at if not.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:42 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche Zone Play View Post
Wait, what has Paul Maurice won?
Malkin's heart!

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old