HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Corvo

Old
09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Roy G Biv*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
So does Preissing.
Really? oh...

So why is Corvo playing with Redden?

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:16 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
I hope Senators management realizes that Preissing >> Corvo.

Yes, Corvo has the heralded right-handed shot, but he shouldn't be getting more ES time that Preissing.
Can we say that with any confidence. Since this trade has gone down, I haven't heard much from Shark fans on Preissing. I have to admit, I'm a little concerned that there wasn't much concern from their end in losing a young, cheap defenceman who apparently can play a top 4 role. It's not like they were particularly deep on defence either.

The guys on the radio were talking about their first impression of him, and, they said that he isn't physically imposing at all. It's raised some concerns for me.

Figuring all this out is the reason why there is a pre-season and a training camp. I don't think any of us, unless they've watched a fair number of Sharks and Kings games, can say with any certainty which will perform better.

I do believe that Corvo will get the benefit of the doubt, based on contract. They paid him based on expecting him to play at a certain level, and Muckler has a lot of his reputation riding on that signing, IMO. If it's a close call, I'm sure he'll get the prime minutes ahead of Preissing.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Roy G Biv*

The Mars Volchenkov should be able to help us out.

From what I remember, Sharks fans were praising Preissing and Kings fans were glad to see Corvo go.

I've created a thread on the Sharks board for opinions.

Old
09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Preissing isn't a big guy at all, but he's solid defensively. He's basically a mini-Redden. They may have him paired with Volchenkov at the moment to off-set his lack of size and Volchenkov's average puck moving skills. That should be a very solid pairing.

I think Preissing is a much better defenseman than Corvo, having seen them play quite a bit (and Preissing a lot at Colorado College). Preissing is much more dependable in his own end.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:27 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
The Mars Volchenkov should be able to help us out.

From what I remember, Sharks fans were praising Preissing and Kings fans were glad to see Corvo go.

I've created a thread on the Sharks board for opinions.
I think a lot of that has to do with salary. Corvo becomes highly overrated in many eyes when he's making $2.3M. Who's going to dislike a guy making league minimum like Preissing? Besides, while Sharks fans may have been sad to see him go, have you seen many Shark fans that feel that their defence has taken a major blow this off-season?

I'm just very hesitant to hold one in high regard over the other until the results start manifesting themselves on the ice.

Old
09-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I think a lot of that has to do with salary. Corvo becomes highly overrated in many eyes when he's making $2.3M. Who's going to dislike a guy making league minimum like Preissing? Besides, while Sharks fans may have been sad to see him go, have you seen many Shark fans that feel that their defence has taken a major blow this off-season?

I'm just very hesitant to hold one in high regard over the other until the results start manifesting themselves on the ice.
I agree with your take, but I honestly am under the assumption (much like The Mars Volchenkov) that Preissing was a 3/4 guy, and Corvo a 5/6.

I think that lack of mourning on the Sharks board has a lot to do with the emergence of Matt Carle on the their blueline, whereas the Kings don't have much to be excited about.

Old
09-15-2006, 02:11 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post

The Sharks have a lot of young, cheap defensemen coming up, so maybe they felt they could replace Preissing on the back end at the same price while adding another body up front. Ehrhoff, Carle, Gorges, Murray, and Davison all will see ice time this year, and I think all make less than $1M, except maybe Ehrhoff.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 03:12 PM
discostu

Well, it does give some reason for optimism. I also think I'm tempering my expectations a little. With the depth that we have, there isn't a specific need to have Preissing step up into that role. If he can, so much the better.

Old
09-15-2006, 04:53 PM
SENSible1*

Corvo was the most impressive player on the ice this morning.

His skating is simply unbelievable.

SENSible1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 05:20 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

From the few Sharks games that I had seen I compared him to Pothier. They are both about the same age and size, both play an offensive game from the back end, skate well and play a good transition game. Preissing could turn out to be a cheaper version of Pothier this year and if we are lucky maybe even better.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 05:52 PM
willie

I haven't bothered to read the whole thread but as a Kings and quasi-Sens fan, I feel compelled to add a little support to the Corvo camp.

Firstly, Corvo is nowhere near as bad defensively as many Kings fans portray him to be. He became the whipping boy after Modry's departure and every mistake he made afterwards was magnified. The problem with Corvo is that when he does screw up, he screws up big time. His gaffe's are ill-timed and just extraordinarily ugly that they really sear their way into fan's consciousness. They also often occur near the other team's blueline, resulting in odd man rushes.

When it comes to quantity of mistakes, Corvo is actually quite solid. In his own end, he is usually quite steady. His breakouts passes are fine, his work in the corners and in front of the net is acceptable and his skating lessens some of mental blunders with respect to positioning. He isn't physical though - which I find many often mistakenly equate with defensive prowess - and that may frustrate some fans.

Where you guys will love him is offensively. His shot is very hard - plus his accuracy improved leaps and bounds last year - and he is a fantastic skater. Furthermore, his stickhandling is disgustingly good. If you can find it, watch his stickhandling on a penalty shot last year. (it was on coaches corner) It is absolutely filthy. In fact, he was so good on breakaways that the Kings consistently used him in shootouts. (and I don't think we lost a shootout all year)

His big weakness offensively is his puckhandling - not to be confused with stickhandling. He makes poor decisions carrying the puck and has a poor feel for getting the puck to the right areas on the ice. Basically, don't expect him to be a quarterback type on the PP. He just doesn't have the right mindframe and feel for the game. But as a complementary player on the PP, his skillset can be just lethal. (especially when lined up alongside the talent in Ottawa - which he didn't have in LA)

I'm going as bold as to suggest that - by mid-season - most Sens fans are going to be talking about him being underpaid. Playing with talent in Ottawa, I think his offensive game is going to flourish. I have him pegged to have a very Visnovsky-esque breakout season this coming year. 20 goals, 65 points is legitimately within reach.

Last edited by willie: 09-15-2006 at 05:58 PM.
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 06:01 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
I haven't bothered to read the whole thread but as a Kings and quasi-Sens fan, I feel compelled to add a little support to the Corvo camp.

Firstly, Corvo is nowhere near as bad defensively as many Kings fans portray him to be. He became the whipping boy after Modry's departure and every mistake he made afterwards was magnified. The problem with Corvo is that when he does screw up, he screws up big time. His gaffe's are ill-timed and just extraordinarily ugly that they really sear their way into fan's consciousness. They also often occur near the other team's blueline, resulting in odd man rushes.

When it comes to quantity of mistakes, Corvo is actually quite solid. In his own end, he is usually quite steady. His breakouts passes are fine, his work in the corners and in front of the net is acceptable and his skating lessens some of mental blunders with respect to positioning. He isn't physical though - which I find many often mistakenly equate with defensive prowess - and that may frustrate some fans.

Where you guys will love him is offensively. His shot is very hard - plus his accuracy improved leaps and bounds last year - and he is a fantastic skater. Furthermore, his stickhandling is disgustingly good. If you can find it, watch his stickhandling on a penalty shot last year. (it was on coaches corner) It is absolutely filthy. In fact, he was so good on breakaways that the Kings consistently used him in shootouts. (and I don't think we lost a shootout all year)

His big weakness offensively is his puckhandling - not to be confused with stickhandling. He makes poor decisions carrying the puck and has a poor feel for getting the puck to the right areas on the ice. Basically, don't expect him to be a quarterback type on the PP. He just doesn't have the right mindframe and feel for the game. But as a complementary player on the PP, his skillset can be just lethal. (especially when lined up alongside the talent in Ottawa - which he didn't have in LA)

I'm going as bold as to suggest that - by mid-season - most Sens fans are going to be talking about him being underpaid. Playing with talent in Ottawa, I think his offensive game is going to flourish. I have him pegged to have a very Visnovsky-esque breakout season this coming year. 20 goals, 65 points is legitimately within reach.

I feel the same way. Excellent post.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Buckleys

Let me be one to say, that i think Corvo shall work out, and if he doesn't work out, then it really doesn't matter if im wrong, its just horrible altogether. I hate when people are against something like this and if he turns good they were like see! I told you so (as posted in an above post i believe). I don't think Muckler would pay him that much to come here if he was going to fluke. One downfall is Lee wants to finish College, so if he doesn't work out, then they could be stuck with him until Lee is ready to step up.

Last edited by Buckleys: 09-15-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post

I. am. PSYCHED!!!

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 11:13 PM
hockeyphan

I am a Shark season ticket holder...and I saw Tom play lots and saw Joe Corvo play many times as well. Tom is a much more well rounded d-man and does everything really well. Corvo is good but TP is better. He does not do anything great...he makes really good choices with the puck and seldom gets caught out of position..his first pass out is excellent...he has a laser shot from the point....I have heard him say that "he likes to fly under the radar"...and he does. It appears that he doesn't care if he's in the paper or on TV or not. In 05-06 Tom was the highest scoring Shark defenseman and had the third highest single season point total in franchise history for a defenseman...and all along was a plus 17. There were many games the second half of the season that he was clearly the best d-man on the Sharks. Others got lots of the press but Tom was just excellent. I do think that both Sharks d-men Erhoff and Carle are good...but no where near as good as TP (they both can play offense but don't have a clue on the penalty kill)...I think this trade (Bell had better be really good) will come back and bit the Sharks in the a--. If Joe Corvo signed with Ottawa for 2.5 mil a year...TP is worth as much or more.

hockeyphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by senility View Post
2) As rumoured, it would appear that he is, in fact, a workout freak. The guy is built, and covered in tatoos. Man those are going to look great when he gets old and fat.
He may, already, be feeling a little silly about one of them. The one where his belly button should be looks awfully like an interpretation of the Kings' crown logo.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote