HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2013, 07:45 AM
TrueBlue86

vCash: 500
let's gooo

Old
05-03-2013, 08:42 AM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
The Petes deffintely had a gritty, defensive style in 06'

Likely could have been just as good the following season if J.Staal had played his 19 year old season.
I remember that series well, and much to my surprise, we were "out-'Shantz'ed"!

As for this year's final, it's going to be tough--you have to respect the Colts.
I still think that if Barrie is going to win this series, they're going to need a "horseshoe", and NOT the one on their jersey!

Old
05-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Game day!

So happy its game day, this is what I've been waiting for all year!
They have decided to hold back the Memorial Cup announcement, this is one of the smartest things Branch has done in a long time. Makes me think that somebody else actually thought it up.
At the start of the year, there were many that said cut Tyler Ferry or trade him. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying he is an mvp or anything like that, but this series I think you will see (as you have several times this year) as to what he brings to the team. Shadow detail duties will be Ferry's job and he excels at it.
Missing Anderson and M. Rupert for a bit only means that guys like Platzer and Elie will get a bit more time and step up. The injured players are not replaceable but our depth doesn't leave us shorthanded like it would other teams.
Stolarz will continue to show why he is a money goalie, and could end up being the mvp....it will be interesting because Barrie hasn't seen him yet.
Good luck Barrie, you'll need it
Should be a great series!

Old
05-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
This is a really big pet peeve of mine and I don't know why people continually bring it up...conference strength means next to nothing in the OHL because there aren't conference schedules. The Colts played Owen Sound more than just about every Eastern Conference team. If you want to compare strength of schedule you can make that argument, but to do so effectively you would have to add up the combined records of the opponents of each team. Even that has it's flaws, as their opponents also had unbalanced schedules...
Correct me if I am wrong, but the west plays the east once at home and once on the road all year so two times total right? (so I am not sure how Barrie played Owen Sound more than twice or more than any other Eastern team). But that is not my point.

I will exagerate for a moment to see if I can explain it better:
Ottawa is a horrible team. Lets say for a moment that the entire eastern conference was made up of teams just like Ottawa and then there is one good team, Barrie.
So Barrie wins most of the games all year against the 'Ottawa's' and ends up with a great record. In doing so, lets say against the western conference they are a .500 team - and lets say that they end up with 50 wins total for the year.
Their 50 wins is not as impressive as 50 wins is for a Western conference team as it is a tougher conference.
Going back to what I said about the Knights being 18-2 against the East, might also help the point that the East isn't as strong.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the west plays the east once at home and once on the road all year so two times total right? (so I am not sure how Barrie played Owen Sound more than twice or more than any other Eastern team). But that is not my point.
In general you're correct but the OHL builds into their schedule some games vs teams that are a natural rivalry that goes against the 'norm'..... OS vs Barrie is one of them and they play each other more than twice.
http://www.attackhockey.com/schedule...zone/0/team/13

See Sept 27, Nov 21, Jan 23,30 Feb 21 and 28th.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Bubba P

Quote:

Ottawa is a horrible team. Lets say for a moment that the entire eastern conference was made up of teams just like Ottawa and then there is one good team, Barrie.
So Barrie wins most of the games all year against the 'Ottawa's' and ends up with a great record. In doing so, lets say against the western conference they are a .500 team - and lets say that they end up with 50 wins total for the year.
Their 50 wins is not as impressive as 50 wins is for a Western conference team as it is a tougher conference.
Going back to what I said about the Knights being 18-2 against the East, might also help the point that the East isn't as strong.
I don`t see what this has to do with this series. The Colts were 2 & 0 against Plymouth & Kitchener, 3-6-0-1 against Owen Sound & the shootout could have gone either way. They lost both games against London but one was a shootout & the other Colt won 1st period, London won 2nd period & the 3rd was even. So I would say the Colts did alright against the tougher West

Old
05-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
In general you're correct but the OHL builds into their schedule some games vs teams that are a natural rivalry that goes against the 'norm'..... OS vs Barrie is one of them and they play each other more than twice.
http://www.attackhockey.com/schedule...zone/0/team/13

See Sept 27, Nov 21, Jan 23,30 Feb 21 and 28th.
Good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba P View Post
I don`t see what this has to do with this series. The Colts were 2 & 0 against Plymouth & Kitchener, 3-6-0-1 against Owen Sound & the shootout could have gone either way. They lost both games against London but one was a shootout & the other Colt won 1st period, London won 2nd period & the 3rd was even. So I would say the Colts did alright against the tougher West
You need to read back then if you don't see how it relates. It is all based around predictions and discussion of how good the teams were during the year etc.
I'd be curious to know if the 2-0 against plymouth and kitchener were pre-deadline or post deadline. Very different teams.
My main point was 50 wins in the east is not the same as 50 wins in the west due to better competition. Argue it all you want, but most will agree.
With all that said, the series hasn't started yet and they still have to play it....so regular season, predictions etc are all out the window.
Game 1 at the Gardens tonight, bring it on

Old
05-03-2013, 11:32 AM
aresknights

Don't matter who beat who, who played who when ect....
Colts n Knights will decide starting tonight and how you got there don't matter.

C'mon 7!

Old
05-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
I'd be curious to know if the 2-0 against plymouth and kitchener were pre-deadline or post deadline. Very different teams.
Don't know about Kitchener, but with Plymouth one was before the deadline during the Whalers 7 game December losing streak, and the other was after the deadline. However, the post-deadline loss was before Plymouth switched starting goaltenders, and was one of the games in early February that led to Mahalak losing his starting role in net to Nedeljkovic.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:37 PM
SimonKnightsman

Knights77.....

The Colts/ Attack have played this inter conference deal for years due to geography and OS wanting it. I still think they should stuff the Attack into a northern division with SSM, Sud, Bar, NB

Old
05-03-2013, 07:30 PM
krazy kanuck

I hate checking multiple threads so I figured we should have a dedicated place to discuss the final:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post65211103

Old
05-04-2013, 08:05 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Little things win you hockey games. Barrie did enough of the little things to win..London did not. That being said I felt that was London's worst game of the playoffs. Little to no cohesion..very erratic play..no physicality at all.

I've watched a number of games Barrie has played when the Knights haven't been playing..they played a very sound road game and I believe that was their game plan and they followed it to a tee. I think what you see is what you get. I don't think they can up it much more than they did last night. They work hard..will out chance you if given the chance and will skate you down if you let them. Don't take that as me being an arrogant London fan..it's exactly what I see.

At times last night when London amped it up(especially in the 3rd period) Barrie was merely just hanging on. London can do that to you and if not for a few timely saves from Berger..this one was over. I firmly believe London had their feel-out game and will not make the same mistakes moving forward. London has one or 2 more gears...and we saw it in the 3rd period.

Taking nothing away from the Colts...thats a good team. I just feel you caught London at their worst...it (in my opinion) won't happen again.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:18 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Little things win you hockey games. Barrie did enough of the little things to win..London did not.
True enough. I always go on about the little things and knowing how to win games/ series. London has to be better (and I think they will be- the tape wont lie)

I
Quote:
firmly believe London had their feel-out game and will not make the same mistakes moving forward. London has one or 2 more gears...and we saw it in the 3rd period.
I also agree, we should see a more uummpphh, get up and go come Sunday. Theyll see where they took shortcuts and will fix it.

Last edited by aresknights: 05-05-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old
05-04-2013, 12:09 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:

OK - I'll correct you because you're wrong. There are some teams that it works out for that way, but others it doesn't. I think London might be one of teams it works out for because of their central location but it's not that way for all. Like I said Owen Sound played the Colts 6 times this year (and do every year). If that is the only difference (not sure it is) then the Attack actually had a more difficult schedule than the knights because those replaced Windsor / Erie games that London would have had.

EDIT: I'll add I just read where someone else has already pointed this out to you and generally if you're talking NHL this season where the east only played the east and the west only played the rest you would be right. The logic falls down because the schedule isn't that way. There are Eastern teams the Colts only play twice a year and they always play the Attack more and I think a few other western teams 3 times as well. There are Eastern teams they only play twice. So like I said to make a strength of schedule argument you need to compare the actual opponents records.

Last edited by krazy kanuck: 05-04-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old
05-04-2013, 12:22 PM
aresknights

Oh Oh, one more reason for the Sound fans to think their uphill battle to compete with the haves is even bigger.

OS probly did have the toughest sched this year. Best division in the O, better conf and the Barrie games. But thats not always the case

Old
05-04-2013, 12:37 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Oh Oh, one more reason for the Sound fans to think their uphill battle to compete with the haves is even bigger.

OS probly did have the toughest sched this year. Best division in the O, better conf and the Barrie games. But thats not always the case
There was that one year in their history that the Colts didn't make the playoffs .

The other thing about comparing OHL records is it depends so much on who is around when the teams meet. You have some teams with guys at WJC or NHL camps not to mention trades and other player movement. It's interesting discussion but it doesn't necessarily mean much.

Like you said above all that matters now is the next week and a half. It's clear that the Knights have elite talent and like I've said previously a lot of breaks are going to have to go the Colts way for them to be upset. I would add that wasn't Scheifele, Theoret or Ekblad's best games either...and if Lemieux hadn't taken that stupid penalty things would have really clamped down. If boys these teams crank it up a notch we're in for a real treat. And I'll say this for London - all that money buys the best OHL live stream equipment! Makes it more enjoyable when you're watching from across the country!

Old
05-05-2013, 01:26 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

I realize London fans are caught up in the now and probably not looking towards next season yet, but as a Bulls fan I'm wondering if there has been any talk about Michael McCarron reporting to the Knights? I'm hoping that whoever drafts McCarron in June will convince him to make the jump to the OHL, and Belleville would receive a couple 2nd rounders if he does join London. The Bulls will likely need to flip some picks for a roster forward or two, possibly a dman as well, could really use those extra picks after going all in this season.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:15 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Anderson in tonight

Old
05-05-2013, 07:00 PM
dino200022

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Anderson in tonight
Really missed him last game, there defence controlled the puck very well and I think josh will be able to help bring the forecheck up a notch!

Old
05-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
London shows why they could go to the memcup and why they did that last year.

Meanwhile the refs show that they aren't going to call possible season ending hits on Knights players. Broadhurst gets pushed into the boards on an icing call, no penalty. Elie gets checked from behind into the boards, no penalty. Domi gets hit away from the puck right in the head with an elbow, no penalty. It would also be nice if the refs called some unsportmanlike penalties for arguing with the ref and pushing them around going to the box, I believe it was Lemieux who didn't get anything.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
London shows why they could go to the memcup and why they did that last year.

Meanwhile the refs show that they aren't going to call possible season ending hits on Knights players. Broadhurst gets pushed into the boards on an icing call, no penalty. Elie gets checked from behind into the boards, no penalty. Domi gets hit away from the puck right in the head with an elbow, no penalty. It would also be nice if the refs called some unsportmanlike penalties for arguing with the ref and pushing them around going to the box, I believe it was Lemieux who didn't get anything.
Wasn't that Mermis who got creamed on the icing? Anyway, that was very dirty. If the referees saw it accurately, they would have called a major.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 Colts suspended for game 3, and possibly longer.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:39 AM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Wasn't that Mermis who got creamed on the icing? Anyway, that was very dirty. If the referees saw it accurately, they would have called a major.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 Colts suspended for game 3, and possibly longer.
It was Mermis. And to think that it was even steven on the penalties on that play is unbelievable.

Hard to figure out the excuse for the bi-polar PP the Knights have. Lethal against Plymouth but awful against Barrie. I know the Colts' special teams are good but London needs to figure it out. Also, London hasn't faced as good a defensive team as Barrie yet this year. Not many expected that this series but Barrie looks to be a well coached team. Hopefully the Knights can break that neutral zone trap tomorrow and get more scoring chances.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:45 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Camara's hit was indefensible. I think AC will be done for the series, and into next year, effectively ending his OHL career. Any chance the Bruins had of returning him ends if he's going to miss games at the beginning of next season when he could start right up in the AHL.

I didn't think Bradford's hit was that bad actually. I am a Colts fan, so there is that, but I thought the refs had it about right...a little bit reckless but I don't think there was any intent to injure.

The interesting bit is Branch's suspensions are usually based on the injury, not the intent. Maybe both Colts get off scott-free on that basis. God knows they've been suspended when the intent wasn't there but an injury occurred. He did let Jordan Subban away with effectively the same hit as Camara's last series...one can only assume because AA popped back up and kept playing (as Domi did).

Old
05-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I didn't think Bradford's hit was that bad actually. I am a Colts fan, so there is that, but I thought the refs had it about right...a little bit reckless but I don't think there was any intent to injure.
I'm trying to be a Colts fan (Just moved up to Orillia from London)

I don't know Bradford, but that was a very dangerous play, and it looked pretty calculated to me. Is there any other reason to cross-check him from behind?

Old
05-06-2013, 04:22 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I'm trying to be a Colts fan (Just moved up to Orillia from London)
Must be quite the series for you then!

Quote:
I don't know Bradford, but that was a very dangerous play, and it looked pretty calculated to me. Is there any other reason to cross-check him from behind?
I just watched it again and I'm still of the same opinion. It certainly was wreckless - why did he do it? Same reasons anybody takes a stupid cross-checking penalty - frustrated, 3rd goal just scored against you, trying to gain position on the puck - doesn't make it right, but it doesn't make it malicious either. I'm not a techno wizard to put up the video, but when I watch it the contact was pretty minimal, and was outside of what I was taught the "danger zone" was (4-6 feet from the boards). Bradford hit him at least a couple feet before the goal line...probably 12-15 feet before the boards. Finally, there was mention about it being icing, but based on the feed (which I know can be a bit off, but it's all I've got) Bradford made contact before the linesman blew his whistle so Bradford was going in hard on the forecheck. That's his job, but he did get a little overzealous with it.

If I were commissioner I'd suspend AC for the rest of the series, but Bradford not at all.

There's my nickel's worth, but as I say I am a Colts fan so I probably have my biases.

Last edited by krazy kanuck: 05-06-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Closed Thread