HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Re-Tooling Time

View Poll Results: Well?
Go full rebuild, trading away practically everyone and starting fresh 51 16.89%
Retool, trading away some core players and some management changes 223 73.84%
Stand pat and hope for the best 13 4.30%
Cut off any dead weight and go all in for next year or the following year by selling off futures 15 4.97%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Nostradanglus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I seriously question if Kesler can be a #1 centre
I think he can be. Especially in the playoffs. And especially if you surround him with skilled puck-hustlers like a Zach Parise and not 2nd liner/tweeners like Booth/Raymond.

Nostradanglus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:05 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Quote:
I'm not sure about being a huge point guy in the reg season but come playoffs Kesler will beast mode it and would be a solid #1 center. I like our chances more with Kesler than the Sedins.

iFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:06 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshi View Post
-Luongo is a #1 (on most teams)
-Raymond is a top 6/9 forward
-Booth is a top 6 F
-Roy is a top 3/6 F
-Ballard is a top 4 D (on teams not coached by Alain Vigneault)
-And changing the entire 4ht line for players that can actually play can make a big difference. Have you watched St. Louis' 4th line against the Kings?

Plus, I also said fire Gillis. That's a pretty big change...
I don't care what those guys are on most teams. What have they done to contribute to this team? This team is losing without Booth and Ballard in the lineup, so removing them isn't going to change anything. Roy has been invisible, removing him won't change much. Removing Luongo will only change the fact that we won't have a safety net behind Schneider anymore. How exactly do those moves make us better?

In order to get better this team needs a major shakeup to the core. You're advocating moving non-core players. It won't work.

05-06-2013, 03:10 AM
Nostradanglus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
Canucks biggest problem is scoring in the offseason and those players are the Sedins, their the problem, if their here next year it'll be the same problems come playoffs. If Gillis and the owers really are serious about winning a cup then this has to be addressed this offseason. There's no more "next year" crap, we've heard too many "next years" now. The only way to move this team forward now is to shake it up, trade the twins, Luongo and maybe Bieksa and Edler if we get another number 1 D in one of the other trades, this is the season to do this back to back disappointing seasons and aging core with contracts coming up. Name Kesler as capton. Next up is coaching AV just has to go and I have no clue who to replace him with, don't know much about Ruff.?

Sad thing is I doubt anything really happens, Gillis and AV are really good buddies and Gillis went to war for AV last year, I just can't see Gillis letting him go, Gillis also couldn't even pull the trigger on a Luongo deal, I don't think he has the ability to make a block buster trade like the Sedins let alone adding in Edler and Luongo trades. Hopefully I'm wrong but I fully expect this same core here next year and the "big trade" or shake up will be Luongo which won't be big, this time next year we'll all be pissed again about being knocked out in the 1st round and watching the twins not showing up and we'll be talking about our goal scoring issues again. It's sad as a Canuck fan but after all these years you learn to live with disappointment from your hockey team.
If MG refuses to consider a coaching change, this is where ownership will have to step in and get rid of both of them.

In this case, a new GM with new instructions in terms of the team-lookout would have more freedom for big changes to make the team theirs. This is both a good and a bad thing, depending on the new GM's negotiation abilities, player/management evaluation and need to Sabre-rattle with a big, yet non-progressive trade.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:11 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Canucks traded Trevor freaking Linden, the heart of the Canucks, mr Canuck we should be able to trade the Sedins. Really it's not only best for us but for them too, they can go somewhere out of the spot light without the pressure, change is good and its time now.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:14 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Exactly, because this team needs a change. If you're happy with our performance in the LA series and in the SJ series then that's fine, you're perfectly entitled to be happy with it. I'm not. What we've seen is not acceptable and this team needs a change. You can't make a change by bringing everyone from a broken core back. Moving on from the Sedins is the best way this team can change its identity and move forward.
Henrik Sedin was a point a game player in the LA series last year. Daniel was hurt because of that POS CSer Duncan Kieth.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:14 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Canucks traded Trevor freaking Linden, the heart of the Canucks, mr Canuck we should be able to trade the Sedins. Really it's not only best for us but for them too, they can go somewhere out of the spot light without the pressure, change is good and its time now.
Who is going to play on our second line ?

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:16 AM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Do you realize the cap is going down next year and the twins have NTCs? What team can afford to take in 12 million in salary? Why would the twins agree to be traded, and not just retire and return to Sweden as they have often said they will do before they can no longer play hockey?

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:17 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary View Post
The Canucks should move a LH defenseman. I doubt Bieksa waives, so the other option is Edler?
Bieksa's a rightie.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:18 AM
dbaz

problem is the canucks rely on a 4 line game and they definitely dont hve those lines. ballard, sesito, ebbett, pinizotto, booth, raymond,weise, luongo need to be gone/not re-signed. the lineup is severally depleted from when the 4th line consisted of lap higgins etc. key to the playoffs is depth and we need to shed salary to reaquire the depth back on the 3rd and 4th lines. higgins shouldnt be in a top 6 and lap shouldnt ne in a top 9. biggest need is a defensive 3rd line center.

dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nostradanglus

Give Horton $5m/yr and buddy him up with Kesler. His 6'2, 105kg frame can run around GIVING people concussions in a Canucks jersey this time around.

?????- Kesler - Horton

Nom nom nom

Looks and is priced like 1a/b line, especially in the post-season.

Old
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not sure about being a huge point guy in the reg season but come playoffs Kesler will beast mode it and would be a solid #1 center. I like our chances more with Kesler than the Sedins.
I doubt Kesler can handle an 82 game schedule nowadays, especially when he will have to carry this team.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:19 AM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradanglus View Post
Give Horton $5m/yr and buddy him up with Kesler. His 6'2, 105kg frame can run around GIVING people concussions in a Canucks jersey this time around.

?????- Kesler - Horton

Nom nom nom

Looks and is priced like 1a/b line, especially in the post-season.
Why would Horton ever sign here?

ThereGoesVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:20 AM
Derp Kassian

Horton is way too inconsistent to be giving 5m as a forward, rather go after Clarkson or Stephen Weiss.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:23 AM
FloydTheBarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Horton is way too inconsistent to be giving 5m as a forward, rather go after Clarkson or Stephen Weiss.
A soft center who has a unknown playoff history?

So a worse Henrik Sedin with an unknown playoff history, yeah that's what the Canucks need.

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:24 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Who is going to play on our second line ?
What you trade the twins for and make other trades with.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:26 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Do you realize the cap is going down next year and the twins have NTCs? What team can afford to take in 12 million in salary? Why would the twins agree to be traded, and not just retire and return to Sweden as they have often said they will do before they can no longer play hockey?
Teams can afford that, just like teams can afford July 1st.

Old
BoHorvatFan

Higgins 3 goals in 32 playoff games... 4 year extension

Raymond 2 goals in 31 playoff games... brought back year after year.

GM OF THE YEAR!

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
A soft center who has a unknown playoff history?

So a worse Henrik Sedin with an unknown playoff history, yeah that's what the Canucks need.
20 G two way center on the third line is a horrible thing right? Better than Derek Roy

Old
05-06-2013, 03:28 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Put Kesler on say, the Leafs or Habs

Lupul - Kesler - Kadri/JVR
Pacioretty - Kesler - Gallagher

He'd drive those lines like a well oiled machine and look good doing it.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:29 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

trade Edler for Alzner + Johansson

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:30 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Quote:
I doubt Kesler can handle an 82 game schedule nowadays, especially when he will have to carry this team.
Well if we have other players on this team in the top 6 who can hit and play on the edge Kesler won't have to be so aggressive with it, right now Kesler is the grit, adding to it with say a player like RoR would help ease that load on Kesler having to do that game in and game out which would hopefully make him more reliable, also if we can get him off the pk so he's not blocking shots all the time would help his durability.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:32 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
20 G two way center on the third line is a horrible thing right? Better than Derek Roy
Based on what is he better than Derek Roy? Roy has the better resume to date.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:33 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

puke at these guys

too bad we suck at drafting too... these young guys are providing a lot of spark for the hawks, blues, and islanders to mention a few

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:38 AM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Based on what is he better than Derek Roy? Roy has the better resume to date.
based on the last 4 years I've watched both guys. Weiss was injured and had a terrible year his stock will be down while Roy wants a big payday. I think Weiss brings more intangibles, good faceoff percentage, decent enough offensively and can score rather than a playmaker. Derek Roy had that break out in 08 but hasn't been the same since.