HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JD on SportsDesk

Old
09-18-2006, 09:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
JD on SportsDesk

Check out the video of JD on http://msgnetwork.com/index.jsp

Very emotional stuff.

09-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I saw that this morning before I left for work, I liked what John Giannone (sp?) said at the end of the segment. Somthing to the effect of John Davison, great hockey mind, even better human being. He was a great guy, and I wish him the best in St Louis.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Sad to see you go JD

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 01:37 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
wow never seen him like that before

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 01:42 PM
broadwayblue

Great stuff indeed. Best of luck to you JD.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 02:36 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I saw that this morning before I left for work, I liked what John Giannone (sp?) said at the end of the segment. Somthing to the effect of John Davison, great hockey mind, even better human being. He was a great guy, and I wish him the best in St Louis.
Yes, Giannone pretty much said that, and he couldn't have said it any damn better than that. What a great guy, and I wish him the best of luck in St. Louis... won't change the fact that thousands strong will miss him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
wow never seen him like that before
That just goes to show you the effort and emotion not only did he put into his job, but the city and the people themselves. The fans, the everyday people, his family, his coworkers. I know two people that have very high positions in the garden, and I'll leave them anonymous. They have both spoken to John on many occassions, and say that he is an ABSOLUTELY wonderful guy to speak with and work with. There's not a broadcast analyst that was better than him at what he did, and I don't know if there's better human being to be around.

It's just not going to be the same...

Edit:

I'm just glad that one of my favorite teams is able to reap the benefits of what is as John Giannone said... "A great hockey broadcaster, and an even better human being." Good luck to JD, and the Blues, and hopefully, we'll see the Blues come back to the playoff picture real soon.

Last edited by The Amity Affliction: 09-18-2006 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Bottom
The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Those comments were from last week in Michigan.The Blues participated in the same tournament as the Rangers.MSG sent a crew to Traverse City last week

John referred to New York as there.If he was in New York,he would have said here.J.D. is here today for the Rangers alumni golf tournament.John and Sam will be honored for their 20 years of broadcasting together

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 07:54 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Saw it last night...tears came a bit

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 12:27 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Oh man. I love that guy.

Giannone is right, that guy is simply the best.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 12:49 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
The Blues are now up there as one of my favourite teams in the NHL. Even though I dislike Checketts, it isn't hard, because of JD. They've generally been an organisation I liked, going back to the days of Hull and Shanahan.

JD is so well loved by NY fans. The Blues play the Rangers on 3rd March, a Saturday afternoon game, at MSG. I hope JD will be there, because I know that Rangers fans will give him the warm welcome he so deserves. It'll be a great moment.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Pizza

After watching that video, it's hard to find words really.

What a classy guy.

Best of luck JD.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 05:49 AM
WheresBarnaby

JD will be missed.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 06:19 AM
shoothepuck

JD is a great guy and he will be missed.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 10:20 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im sure theyll be moments during the season when we all feel like something is really missing from the broadcast... sure we will have Sam and thats great. But theyll be moments like when Sam and JD go off on a funny tangent talking about somehting that happened when they went out on the golf course or with their kids or even with one of the players behind the scenes and sadly thats not gonna be there anymore.

The other day i was watching an old game and Sam got really confused and excited about something at the same time and JD was just laughing at him telling him to calm down. Stuff like that ill really miss. It really adds a family-like human element to a very emotional and pure sport, something the two were famous for doing on a nightly basis and in turn gave the Ranger fan a true feeling of belonging to something special each year.

I wish JD all the best and hope he tuns that team around in a hurry.

I also wish Joe Mic all the luck with Sam, and who knows maybe another special connection can form

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Im sure theyll be moments during the season when we all feel like something is really missing from the broadcast... sure we will have Sam and thats great. But theyll be moments like when Sam and JD go off on a funny tangent talking about somehting that happened when they went out on the golf course or with their kids or even with one of the players behind the scenes and sadly thats not gonna be there anymore.

The other day i was watching an old game and Sam got really confused and excited about something at the same time and JD was just laughing at him telling him to calm down. Stuff like that ill really miss. It really adds a family-like human element to a very emotional and pure sport, something the two were famous for doing on a nightly basis and in turn gave the Ranger fan a true feeling of belonging to something special each year.

I wish JD all the best and hope he tuns that team around in a hurry.

I also wish Joe Mic all the luck with Sam, and who knows maybe another special connection can form
I agree, they both seemed to really enjoy each others company and respected each other very much. I have my reservations about Joe Mic, but i'm willing to give him a chance, but he will NEVER be able to replace JD, but hopefully we can all respect him as much as we did JD.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 11:00 PM
cityhockeyfever

Saw JD's interview, too... boy, it sucks he's no longer here. I really enjoyed his time on MSG as the color analyst.
No doubt, I've grown up with Sam and JD doing the games together and I'll miss it.

I echo much of the same feelings as everyone here. Great to see how much John Davidson loved being here
as far as working at Madison Square Garden goes and even more so as a New York City metropolitan area resident.

Last edited by cityhockeyfever: 09-23-2006 at 05:00 PM.
cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Balej20*

Wow...I miss JD so much. It's just not the same anymore without him.

it almost looks like from that video that he's may be second guessing his decision to leave the Rangers organization....I'm really not sure why he did it, why he left.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 11:30 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Wow...I miss JD so much. It's just not the same anymore without him.

it almost looks like from that video that he's may be second guessing his decision to leave the Rangers organization....I'm really not sure why he did it, why he left.
You can't criticize a guy (or gal) for leaving something comfortable to go out and make his own destiny. If it works out, great. If not, he's got a home back here.

In either case, he wanted to stop talking about building a hockey team and actually go out and do it. Can't begrudge him that.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
You can't criticize a guy (or gal) for leaving something comfortable to go out and make his own destiny. If it works out, great. If not, he's got a home back here.

In either case, he wanted to stop talking about building a hockey team and actually go out and do it. Can't begrudge him that.
Oh, I'm not criticizing him at all...I just thought, from the looks of that video, it seemed like he was second guessing his decision a little bit. I wish him all the best.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

Exactly and St. Louis a great hockey town that deserves to have a good team, who wouldn't want to be the person who did it?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 01:13 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Oh, I'm not criticizing him at all...I just thought, from the looks of that video, it seemed like he was second guessing his decision a little bit. I wish him all the best.
I doubt it. If there were any doubts, JD wouldn't have made this move. Why risk such a life he obviously enjoyed so much. I'm sure he remains resolute, but that doesn't necessarily make it easy.

I was just thinking, considering poor old Dan Blackburn was his lodger for a year, I wonder if they stay in touch...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote