HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Latvia

Old
05-03-2013, 05:28 AM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Wall View Post
Oh, look Dinamo"KGB"Warrior and InternetWarrior in one person! Keep ignoring the fact that hockey in Latvia is weak and your KGB project is helping in its demise! Facing the facts isn't whining, ignoring them is weakness. Open your eyes! Everyone in the country knows it, yet you just keep pretending everything is fine with status quo. How come the best prospects are the ones playing in North America?
Wow you are seriously mentally ill,if you see KGB everywhere you should have youre head checked,oh and by the way hockey has never been better than now,we are churning out atleast one or two good prospects every year,before it was zero.
to respond to youre second question thats how its always has been and in every hockey country sweden,finland,slovakia yeah some play home but most are over seas.

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 05-03-2013 at 05:34 AM.
BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:29 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Where is Bartulis ? Injured or declined ?
Injury.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:16 AM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
Wow you are seriously mentally ill,if you see KGB everywhere you should have youre head checked,oh and by the way hockey has never been better than now,we are churning out atleast one or two good prospects every year,before it was zero.
to respond to youre second question thats how its always has been and in every hockey country sweden,finland,slovakia yeah some play home but most are over seas.
I wonder if you know who the owner of your beloved club was 25+ years ago... And you should really check your manners. This is not a comment section of some kind of news site. We all might disagree with LHF president and want him ousted, but he was right by saying, that playing in Russia does more harm than any good.

Like Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:25 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I wonder if you know who the owner of your beloved club was 25+ years ago... And you should really check your manners. This is not a comment section of some kind of news site. We all might disagree with LHF president and want him ousted, but he was right by saying, that playing in Russia does more harm than any good.
he was refferencing junior players and more specifically mhl-b players.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:39 AM
v-man

Quote:
Oh, look Dinamo"KGB"Warrior and InternetWarrior in one person! Keep ignoring the fact that hockey in Latvia is weak and your KGB project is helping in its demise! Facing the facts isn't whining, ignoring them is weakness. Open your eyes! Everyone in the country knows it, yet you just keep pretending everything is fine with status quo. How come the best prospects are the ones playing in North America?
Because that's where all the best players go to develop. It's better to learn the NHL style game early on, rather than try to adjust once drafted. I still don't understand this desire or notion some Latvians have that they should have a strong domestic league. Latvia simply doesn't have the population for one, and as we can see with the demise of Liepajas Metalurgs, they don't even have the sponsorship means to cover a second professional team, even at a level as low as the Belarussian League. Any player good enough SHOULD be playing out of the country. In terms of developing players good enough to get drafted, they're doing just fine there for a country of 2.3 mil (I'm pretty sure Riga is beating Toronto proper in terms of picks in the last ten years).

Last edited by v-man: 05-03-2013 at 12:40 PM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:33 PM
latvianhockeyfan

Freibergs was very unknown for Latvian hockey, because he played in NA.
Many people even thought- that he is not National team- level player, because- Jakovlevs, Porejs- were not.

I find stastistics from Belarus league- and even than Freibergs(-7) was better in defense than Jakovlevs(-16),Porejs(-9).

In offense Jakovlevs was little bit better than Freibergs, Porejs.

Freibergs was even better in U-20 championships(in age of 17,18 - Elite group)

In 12 games- finishing- with 5 points and only -2(if you playing with Canada, Usa, Russia, Finland, Czech- Republic, 2x times Slovakia, Sweden,Switzerland, Germany.- that is very good result.

Latvia won only 3 times. Many big margin- losses.

in NA - he develops his offense - and now he is very good in both sides.

latvianhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:40 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by latvianhockeyfan View Post
Freibergs was very unknown for Latvian hockey, because he played in NA.
Many people even thought- that he is not National team- level player, because- Jakovlevs, Porejs- were not.

I find stastistics from Belarus league- and even than Freibergs(-7) was better in defense than Jakovlevs(-16),Porejs(-9).

In offense Jakovlevs was little bit better than Freibergs, Porejs.

Freibergs was even better in U-20 championships(in age of 17,18 - Elite group)

In 12 games- finishing- with 5 points and only -2(if you playing with Canada, Usa, Russia, Finland, Czech- Republic, 2x times Slovakia, Sweden,Switzerland, Germany.- that is very good result.

Latvia won only 3 times. Many big margin- losses.

in NA - he develops his offense - and now he is very good in both sides.
Basically you summed my exact statistical analysis of him in our other LV thread. Still he might be our best D prospect, but it doesn't mean much. Will see how it goes.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:42 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Basically you summed my exact statistical analysis of him in our other LV thread. Still he might be our best D prospect, but it doesn't mean much. Will see how it goes.
yeah you really cant compare our offensive prospects vs defensive,this could become a problem down the road in 3-4 years.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:43 PM
BalticWarrior

Too bad Girg wont play against the Russians,but oh well its not like we are going to win that one anyway

Old
05-03-2013, 12:55 PM
latvianhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post

I hope, this goes like this

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9169

Undrafted, played in NAHL. Same size.

latvianhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:55 PM
BalticWarrior

Zemgus Girgensons ‏@zemgus94

All packed up, buffalo tonight then tmrw Finland! Wouldn't be packed if @Katie_Sullivan4 didn't pack everything for me #thankyou

Old
05-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Namejs
Cipuli iemet ripuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Definitely the weakest squad they've iced in a while.
Sorry, but you're absolutely 100% wrong. And it's weird that you're saying this, as you're supposed to be a long-time follower of Latvian hockey.

Just take a look at our last year's line-up. It's pretty much exactly the same. We miss a couple of guys in defence, we miss a couple of guys in attack, but all of them have been replaced by just as good and even more talented younger players.

We don't have M. Rēdlihs and Daugaviņš from 2012, but we have Dārziņš and Girgensons. We don't have Bārtulis, but we do have Kulda. Galviņš was allegedly ruining the team spirit in our team, so - a good riddance. Gives a chance to some younger guys like Freibergs.

Our team is more or less the same in terms of skill and talent as it has been for years.

This is by no means the Latvian dream team, we miss almost half of our best players, but this has become the standard practice in the last few years. And it's not like we've been doing any worse recently than in the 90s or 00s.

I'm carefully optimistic and I'm really excited to see Girgensons in action as well. Slovakia, USA and Finland are all pretty weak this year. We can take some points off of them. If we're lucky and we can win the games we need to win, we can definitely get into the play-offs.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:32 PM
admire

Edgars Masaļskis

admire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:37 AM
BalticWarrior

I feel like the decision to play Girgensons was Nolans Panic button.
It looks like after two years,he still is confused as to what to do with this team,even if we stay in the Elite,i`d wager next Spring we have a new coach and its definitley not going to be a NA coach for sure.
Something is wrong and you can see it,maybe his employed tactics just dont work for our mentality,we like to play more of a czech counterattack hockey,rather than NA agressive forechecking.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:54 AM
BalticWarrior

And ofcourse i understand we are in the middle of generation change and our talented young guys like girgensons are just comming up,but still,something has to be done.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:36 AM
DrStrangelife

Quote:
I feel like the decision to play Girgensons was Nolans Panic button.
It looks like after two years,he still is confused as to what to do with this team,even if we stay in the Elite,i`d wager next Spring we have a new coach and its definitley not going to be a NA coach for sure.
Something is wrong and you can see it,maybe his employed tactics just dont work for our mentality,we like to play more of a czech counterattack hockey,rather than NA agressive forechecking.
I think your pressing your own panic button, but for no good reason.
Tell me what exactly is wrong with our team? The only thing that pissed me off was our PP, which was simply **** and it seemed we couldn't do anything besides pass the puck in circles for 2 minutes. Besides that, how are we playing bad hockey with the roster we've got??
And don't blame the coach that our players can't score! We had beautiful chances to score vs US, it's purely the players fault that they didn't use the opportunities they got and not the coaches.
And how was putting Girgensons on ice a panic move?? Despite that he's 19, he's already better than half of our roster and he's an actual center. Knowing Girgensons attitude it was definatley him who told the coach he's ready to play vs the US. And he brought excellent energy on the ice. I just don't see how you saw this as a problem or as Nolans Panic move???

DrStrangelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:40 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangelife View Post
I think your pressing your own panic button, but for no good reason.
Tell me what exactly is wrong with our team? The only thing that pissed me off was our PP, which was simply **** and it seemed we couldn't do anything besides pass the puck in circles for 2 minutes. Besides that, how are we playing bad hockey with the roster we've got??
And don't blame the coach that our players can't score! We had beautiful chances to score vs US, it's purely the players fault that they didn't use the opportunities they got and not the coaches.
And how was putting Girgensons on ice a panic move?? Despite that he's 19, he's already better than half of our roster and he's an actual center. Knowing Girgensons attitude it was definatley him who told the coach he's ready to play vs the US. And he brought excellent energy on the ice. I just don't see how you saw this as a problem or as Nolans Panic move???
Because he was probably still tired after the flight from US and Nolan wanted to throw anything available at the Americans.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:59 AM
DrStrangelife

Quote:
Because he was probably still tired after the flight from US and Nolan wanted to throw anything available at the Americans.
Yeah, and as I mentioned above it must have been Girgensons who told Nolan he's ready to play. It seems your under appreciating Girgensons character and what he is and will be to our NT, he will always fight, and he'll be able to do things tired or not, what rested players on our NT wouldn't do. And either way, I would prefer to see a tired Girgensons play rather then Meija. And Girgensons was not the worst player on the ice yesterday anyways and don't forget our NT team had trained for a month together, Girgensons arrived just now. It means Girgensons will be better prepared for the Austrian game.
And how do you put this as a negative thing for Nolan, which sane coach wouldn't put Girgensons on the ice, if he's saying he's ready to play.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:15 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yeah, and as I mentioned above it must have been Girgensons who told Nolan he's ready to play. It seems your under appreciating Girgensons character and what he is and will be to our NT, he will always fight, and he'll be able to do things tired or not, what rested players on our NT wouldn't do. And either way, I would prefer to see a tired Girgensons play rather then Meija. And Girgensons was not the worst player on the ice yesterday anyways and don't forget our NT team had trained for a month together, Girgensons arrived just now. It means Girgensons will be better prepared for the Austrian game.
And how do you put this as a negative thing for Nolan, which sane coach wouldn't put Girgensons on the ice, if he's saying he's ready to play.
The main issue isnt Girgensons,the main issue under Nolan is that our players cant score,because they are physically tired from forechecking the opponent they cant make accurate passes or score goals,these same guys beat norway 5:0 in 2010,do you think we could do it this year? Absolutley not,not under Nolan.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Namejs
Cipuli iemet ripuli

Quote:
The main issue isnt Girgensons,the main issue under Nolan is that our players cant score,because they are physically tired from forechecking the opponent they cant make accurate passes or score goals,these same guys beat norway 5:0 in 2010,do you think we could do it this year? Absolutley not,not under Nolan.
Your brain is trying to find reasons and an explanation to things that don't need an explanation.

First of all, we've shown decent hockey in the last 2 games - we're not playing bad, we're not playing worse than we could with the resources we currently have. Some people should get a grip on reality. Besides, if we'd play 10 games against Russia and 10 games against USA, in most cases we'd have a better GD that we have now. The first period against Russia was excellent. The first 2 periods against the USA were also very solid.

Second, our national team is still being shaped by our coach - just take a look at the number of players that we've tried out in training camps. Just take a look at how many changes have been made to our lines in the last few weeks. To me it's pretty obvious that Nolan isn't considering the WCH as a potential end of the road or the crux of his stint with the Latvian national team. He's thinking in long term.

Lipmans is a smart man, I'm sure he understands that as well.

Last year our assistant coaches were obviously influencing the way we play too much. It made it harder for Nolan to implement his game plan, it delayed the adaptation of Nolan's North American philosophy, but Nolan/Lipmans have both learnt from their mistakes.

I'm hoping that next year we'll also get rid of our current GM Baldonieks, who's also obviously influencing things and putting us in the wrong direction and impeding Nolan's efforts. For instance, Ivanāns isn't in our lineup purely because of Baldonieks.

Freibergs, Jass, Saviels, Pavlovs (also Štāls) probably wouldn't be playing if Znaroks was the coach. Girgensons wouldn't be playing as the C of our 2nd line yesterday as well. As limited as our resources are, Nolan is choosing the players who fit in his game plan. Yes, we are constantly scraping the bottom of the barrel, but each year we're introducing new (and forgotten) players into our lineup and you can't say that we're not improving in terms of tactics and understanding what the hell Nolan wants from us.

Just look at how we were throwing Russian bodies around in the 1st period. We were dominating. It was hard to tell who was the weaker team in the first 40 minutes of yesterday's game.

So I'd say just give Nolan more time, give him space and good things will come.

With the addition of Girgensons, Indrašis won't have to play out of position anymore (it was really weird seeing him in C considering his lack of defensive aptitude), Koba will be available, injecting even more energy and grit into our team. Masaļskis should progress from game to game. I definitely don't share your bleak outlook on things.

As they say - it ain't over until the fat lady sings.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:28 AM
DrStrangelife

Quote:

********, we have the 6th youngest roster in these WC, hence I don't want to hear anything about us being too tired to score goals. I think finally after many years I see that our guys have enough energy left for the 3rd period. Vs Americans we looked good all three periods. Both teams played equal game. Obviously when we were down 1:3 the motivation dropped, but our guys still looked physically fit. We had excellent chances to score, which our players themselves messed up, and you just start blaming our coaching staff. I believe the NA style would fit perfectly with our NT, it would take hard work to get used to, of course, but the end result would be better than anything we've ever had before.

It has always been a problem that we lack scorers. Some WC we've been very fortunate when it comes to scoring, yet most years have been pure disasters. The problem is we simply don't have enough players that can score. If we adopt to the NA style, we could make up for our missed chances and lack of talent, by fast and physical game. Not to mention if some of our prospects shall develop and stay in NA, it would be another and even better reason to have an NA style coach and system for our NT.

And I love your overreaction, it's like you expected us to win vs Russians and Americans and for some reason you conclude we couldn't beat Norway??? How about you make these comments when we have finished this WC or when we have relegated. Maybe tomorrow to your overreactions we shall beat Austria 6:0. Who know's??

Last edited by DrStrangelife: 05-06-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old
05-06-2013, 09:44 AM
DrStrangelife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
Your brain is trying to find reasons and an explanation to things that don't need an explanation.

First of all, we've shown decent hockey in the last 2 games - we're not playing bad, we're not playing worse than we could with the resources we currently have. Some people should get a grip on reality. Besides, if we'd play 10 games against Russia and 10 games against USA, in most cases we'd have a better GD that we have now. The first period against Russia was excellent. The first 2 periods against the USA were also very solid.

Second, our national team is still being shaped by our coach - just take a look at the number of players that we've tried out in training camps. Just take a look at how many changes have been made to our lines in the last few weeks. To me it's pretty obvious that Nolan isn't considering the WCH as a potential end of the road or the crux of his stint with the Latvian national team. He's thinking in long term.

Last year our assistant coaches were obviously influencing the way we play too much. It made it harder for Nolan to implement his game plan, it delayed the adaptation of Nolan's North American philosophy, but Nolan/Lipmans have both learnt from their mistakes.

I'm hoping that next year we'll also get rid of our current GM Baldonieks, who's also obviously influencing things and putting us in the wrong direction and impeding Nolan's efforts. For instance, Ivanāns isn't in our lineup purely because of Baldonieks.

Freibergs, Jass, Saviels, Pavlovs (also Štāls) probably wouldn't be playing if Znaroks was the coach. Girgensons wouldn't be playing as the C of our 2nd line yesterday as well. As limited as our resources are, Nolan is choosing the players who fit in his game plan. Yes, we are constantly scraping the bottom of the barrel, but each year we're introducing new (and forgotten) players into our lineup and you can't say that we're not improving in terms of tactics and understanding what the hell Nolan wants from us.

Just look at how we were throwing Russian bodies around in the 1st period. We were dominating. It was hard to tell who was the weaker team in the first 40 minutes of yesterday's game.

With the addition of Girgensons, Indrašis won't have to play out of position anymore (it was really weird seeing him in C considering his lack of defensive aptitude), Koba will be available, injecting even more energy and grit into our team. Masaļskis should progress from game to game. I definitely don't share your bleak outlook on things.

Excellent post, completely agree with you.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Quote:
Excellent post, completely agree with you.
I agree.

Btw, anyone caught the song played after we scored?

Like Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:58 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
********, we have the 6th youngest roster in these WC, hence I don't want to hear anything about us being too tired to score goals. I think finally after many years I see that our guys have enough energy left for the 3rd period. Vs Americans we looked good all three periods. Both teams played equal game. Obviously when we were down 1:3 the motivation dropped, but our guys still looked physically fit. We had excellent chances to score, which our players themselves messed up, and you just start blaming our coaching staff. I believe the NA style would fit perfectly with our NT, it would take hard work to get used to, of course, but the end result would be better than anything we've ever had before.

It has always been a problem that we lack scorers. Some WC we've been very fortunate when it comes to scoring, yet most years have been pure disasters. The problem is we simply don't have enough players that can score. If we adopt to the NA style, we could make up for our missed chances and lack of talent, by fast and physical game. Not to mention if some of our prospects shall develop and stay in NA, it would be another and even better reason to have an NA style coach and system for our NT.

And I love your overreaction, it's like you expected us to win vs Russians and Americans and for some reason you conclude we couldn't beat Norway??? How about you make these comments when we have finished this WC or when we have relegated. Maybe tomorrow to your overreactions we shall beat Austria 6:0. Who know's??
Ofcourse not but i didnt excpect we would score 1 goal in 2 games!!

Old
05-06-2013, 10:07 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post

And what do you mean by this? How much time a year? Two,three? are you willing to wait that long?