HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good conversations between Nino + NYI

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2013, 10:11 PM
  #26
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,641
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
2 months ago he wanted out..now our team is looking good in the playoffs and he wants in


Nino whined and demanded a trade because he was in the AHL and not playing with the big club on LI.

Nino left for the WC before the nhl playoffs started. It's very likely Nino and the Isles discussed their expectations for him, before he left for the WC.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:22 AM
  #27
LeapOnOver
Registered User
 
LeapOnOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 3,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
I used to agree with this statement, but im starting to think capuano finally realizes bailey can play with tavares (only took 3 years). Nino can replace boyes on the first line.

Bailey/Tavares/ Nino
Moulson/Strome/Okposo
Ullstrom/Nielsen/Grabner
Martin/czikas/ mcdonald

Nelson if somebody gets hurt
Whoah whoah...hold the phone bubba! Bailey has played a total of 3 games with Tavares and has "shown" he can play with him? If "showing" you can play with him means you go out there and know to take your skate guards off then yeah, sure you are right. Don't for a second start saying that Bailey is or has earned a spot on that first line. He's not much of an upgrade over Moulson or Boyes. He was playing great with the second line but I haven't seen him dominating on the first line. Let's not cement Mr. Inconsistency in just yet.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:23 AM
  #28
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Whoah whoah...hold the phone bubba! Bailey has played a total of 3 games with Tavares and has "shown" he can play with him? If "showing" you can play with him means you go out there and know to take your skate guards off then yeah, sure you are right. Don't for a second start saying that Bailey is or has earned a spot on that first line. He's not much of an upgrade over Moulson or Boyes. He was playing great with the second line but I haven't seen him dominating on the first line. Let's not cement Mr. Inconsistency in just yet.
I agree. I generally like Bailey, he is coming along but just because he played a couple games next to JT doesn't mean he deserves to stay.

In fact ( I was at the game yesterday) and the one player that disappointed me or at least underwhelmed was Bailey. He seemed tight, made a few dumb passes and the puck kept popping off his stick. Definitely looked like nerves.

Not a Bailey hater, I think he will be fine and hope he makes the same leap next year that Okposo made this season. I think he can.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:34 AM
  #29
Beastrt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I agree. I generally like Bailey, he is coming along but just because he played a couple games next to JT doesn't mean he deserves to stay.

In fact ( I was at the game yesterday) and the one player that disappointed me or at least underwhelmed was Bailey. He seemed tight, made a few dumb passes and the puck kept popping off his stick. Definitely looked like nerves.

Not a Bailey hater, I think he will be fine and hope he makes the same leap next year that Okposo made this season. I think he can.
I just think based on the players they have he is currently the best fit. He is a two way player and a playmaker which to me is something tavares needs. Bailey is not a first line player ,but i just think he should get his chance with tavares. Capuano sticks with the same lines too much.

Beastrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:51 AM
  #30
blinkman360
Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I agree. I generally like Bailey, he is coming along but just because he played a couple games next to JT doesn't mean he deserves to stay.

In fact ( I was at the game yesterday) and the one player that disappointed me or at least underwhelmed was Bailey. He seemed tight, made a few dumb passes and the puck kept popping off his stick. Definitely looked like nerves.

Not a Bailey hater, I think he will be fine and hope he makes the same leap next year that Okposo made this season. I think he can.
I would take that guy's opinion on Bailey with a grain of salt. Pretty sure he's the one who refers to him as "Failey".

All you need to do is look at Tavares' play since Bailey has gotten his promotion.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:56 AM
  #31
blinkman360
Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Id rather bernier then halak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
Bernier has played very well for the Kings and was their goalie of the future until Quick's playoff run last year. Trading him for Niño would not be a bad deal at all.
I'd rather just bring Nabokov back and go with Nilsson or Poulin in a 1A/1B situation instead of trading an asset like Nino for an unproven goalie. IMO Bernier's upside is basically on par with a guy like Nilsson anyway.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:22 AM
  #32
TROLLPOSO
Registered User
 
TROLLPOSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'd rather just bring Nabokov back and go with Nilsson or Poulin in a 1A/1B situation instead of trading an asset like Nino for an unproven goalie. IMO Bernier's upside is basically on par with a guy like Nilsson anyway.
No one besides Isles fans would put Bernier on par with Nilsson at this point. Bernier is heads and shoulders above Poulin and Nilsson.

I would personally trade LA our 1st round pick this year plus a prospect like Poulin, Sundstrom or Persson over Nino but sometimes you have to give to get.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:58 AM
  #33
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,641
vCash: 55
I don't think Mike Smith gets anywhere close to the $6m he wants. I wouldn't mind if Snow offered Smith or Khudobin a 2-3 yr offer.

Even tolling Thomas contract and going with a TT/Poulin duo, would be a possibility if Snow and Nabby part ways

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:43 AM
  #34
Fan101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
Judging by how long it took to get KO to this level, I still think they are trying not to rush Nino, but they do have him slated for the top line and PP.

Nelson may also be ready soon and may get a shot at wing with Tavares.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:17 AM
  #35
blinkman360
Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
No one besides Isles fans would put Bernier on par with Nilsson at this point. Bernier is heads and shoulders above Poulin and Nilsson.

I would personally trade LA our 1st round pick this year plus a prospect like Poulin, Sundstrom or Persson over Nino but sometimes you have to give to get.
I understand you have to give to get. I'm just not giving anything of Nino's value to get a guy who has never proven anything as a starting goalie. I'd rather take my chances with a Nabokov-Nilsson(who IMO is closer to Bernier than you might think) tandem and keep the assets; or again, deal them for someone proven.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:19 AM
  #36
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: North Korea
Posts: 6,294
vCash: 500
If the Isles trade for Bernier it's the 1st plus a pick/prospect. It'll end up being similar to the Varlamov deal.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:44 AM
  #37
duster19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I understand you have to give to get. I'm just not giving anything of Nino's value to get a guy who has never proven anything as a starting goalie. I'd rather take my chances with a Nabokov-Nilsson(who IMO is closer to Bernier than you might think) tandem and keep the assets; or again, deal them for someone proven.
What has Nino shown at the NHL level? Bernier has shown to be more of an NHL calibre player then Nino has.

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:57 AM
  #38
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,641
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
What has Nino shown at the NHL level? Bernier has shown to be more of an NHL calibre player then Nino has.
So because 19 yr old Nino struggled on the 4th line, playing alongside Reasoner and Pandolfo, he can't develop into the first liner the Isles think he'll become?

So glad Nino's playing well, against older pros at the WC. It gives Snow and his European scouts an idea, of what he can bring to the isles top 6.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:08 PM
  #39
PWJunior
That's what we do.
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,086
vCash: 500
Come on, Snow's the GM... it would take the jaws of life to pry Nino or any other 1st rounder drafted by the organization.

I'd like Bernier too, but for the 1st rounder and something else. A 1st and Nino is crazy overpayment IMO.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:09 PM
  #40
blinkman360
Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
What has Nino shown at the NHL level? Bernier has shown to be more of an NHL calibre player then Nino has.
What Nino has or hasn't proven is irrelevent. The whole point of trading him is to bring in a proven NHL goaltender or defender. Trading him for another unknown would be a gigantic risk.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:16 PM
  #41
doug88
Registered User
 
doug88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 378
vCash: 365
And here we go, 3rd goal for el nino at the WC against the czech republic as swiss win 5-2 to go 3-0

doug88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:17 PM
  #42
TROLLPOSO
Registered User
 
TROLLPOSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Come on, Snow's the GM... it would take the jaws of life to pry Nino or any other 1st rounder drafted by the organization.

I'd like Bernier too, but for the 1st rounder and something else. A 1st and Nino is crazy overpayment IMO.
No one here said Nino and a 1st. It's an either or kind of thing.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:21 PM
  #43
duster19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
So because 19 yr old Nino struggled on the 4th line, playing alongside Reasoner and Pandolfo, he can't develop into the first liner the Isles think he'll become?

So glad Nino's playing well, against older pros at the WC. It gives Snow and his European scouts an idea, of what he can bring to the isles top 6.
Not really what I said. The post I was referencing was saying Bernier was not an NHL proven goalie. I was pointing out that Bernier has had a much better NHL career to date then Nino has.

Im not sure if Nino will develop. Im not a big fan because of his attitude this past year.

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
  #44
duster19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
What Nino has or hasn't proven is irrelevent. The whole point of trading him is to bring in a proven NHL goaltender or defender. Trading him for another unknown would be a gigantic risk.
Nino is a risk...

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:29 PM
  #45
TheZec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 426
vCash: 500
I won't trade Nino for Bernier. Personally I don't like trading for starters, unless you are competing for a playoff spot and your goalie gets injured. I believe goalies can be had for nothing as UFA - either NHL goalies or, as Anaheim has shown with Hiller and Fasth, from Europe. Those would also be pretty cheap.

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:32 PM
  #46
gramatanboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Westport
Country: United States
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
LA is facing a dilemma with their two goalies that every other team knows and thus the cost of acquiring JB will not be as high as some here assume. Therefore, if the Islanders offered their 2013 first rounder and a secondary prospect that would be a very good offer for JB, who has not played much in the NHL in the last three years. There is no need to trade a 20 year old Nino, whose play this year in the AHL and WC has been very good!!

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
  #47
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don't think Mike Smith gets anywhere close to the $6m he wants. I wouldn't mind if Snow offered Smith or Khudobin a 2-3 yr offer.

Even tolling Thomas contract and going with a TT/Poulin duo, would be a possibility if Snow and Nabby part ways
THAT'S the guy I want. Khudobin is just about to break out. 26 years old, his statistics are phenomenal.

14-5-0-1 record, 2.03 ga and .933 sp career-wise, I think he's ready to be a number 1 on some team, hopefully the Islanders.

AND, if you re-sign Nabby, he'd be a great mentor fo Khudobin.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:51 PM
  #48
PWJunior
That's what we do.
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
No one here said Nino and a 1st. It's an either or kind of thing.
My mistake, I think I saw that in the Trade Rumor thread.

With that, the 1st round and secondary prospects is fine. Unless it's in a package for someone like Bobby Ryan (doubtful he's available), Nino should be almost impossible to pry away from Snow.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:10 PM
  #49
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,641
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
My mistake, I think I saw that in the Trade Rumor thread.

With that, the 1st round and secondary prospects is fine. Unless it's in a package for someone like Bobby Ryan (doubtful he's available), Nino should be almost impossible to pry away from Snow.
1-2 posters on the main board, have argued Nino+ 1st is fair.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:13 PM
  #50
TROLLPOSO
Registered User
 
TROLLPOSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
My mistake, I think I saw that in the Trade Rumor thread.

With that, the 1st round and secondary prospects is fine. Unless it's in a package for someone like Bobby Ryan (doubtful he's available), Nino should be almost impossible to pry away from Snow.
Kings fans will ask for a lot more than we care to offer. Their belief is that an RFA offer sheet in the higher price range will top out at a 1st and 3rd round pick. So that is their entry point for negotiations.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.