HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good conversations between Nino + NYI

Old
05-05-2013, 10:11 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
2 months ago he wanted out..now our team is looking good in the playoffs and he wants in

Nino whined and demanded a trade because he was in the AHL and not playing with the big club on LI.

Nino left for the WC before the nhl playoffs started. It's very likely Nino and the Isles discussed their expectations for him, before he left for the WC.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:22 AM
LeapOnOver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
I used to agree with this statement, but im starting to think capuano finally realizes bailey can play with tavares (only took 3 years). Nino can replace boyes on the first line.

Bailey/Tavares/ Nino
Moulson/Strome/Okposo
Ullstrom/Nielsen/Grabner
Martin/czikas/ mcdonald

Nelson if somebody gets hurt
Whoah whoah...hold the phone bubba! Bailey has played a total of 3 games with Tavares and has "shown" he can play with him? If "showing" you can play with him means you go out there and know to take your skate guards off then yeah, sure you are right. Don't for a second start saying that Bailey is or has earned a spot on that first line. He's not much of an upgrade over Moulson or Boyes. He was playing great with the second line but I haven't seen him dominating on the first line. Let's not cement Mr. Inconsistency in just yet.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:23 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Whoah whoah...hold the phone bubba! Bailey has played a total of 3 games with Tavares and has "shown" he can play with him? If "showing" you can play with him means you go out there and know to take your skate guards off then yeah, sure you are right. Don't for a second start saying that Bailey is or has earned a spot on that first line. He's not much of an upgrade over Moulson or Boyes. He was playing great with the second line but I haven't seen him dominating on the first line. Let's not cement Mr. Inconsistency in just yet.
I agree. I generally like Bailey, he is coming along but just because he played a couple games next to JT doesn't mean he deserves to stay.

In fact ( I was at the game yesterday) and the one player that disappointed me or at least underwhelmed was Bailey. He seemed tight, made a few dumb passes and the puck kept popping off his stick. Definitely looked like nerves.

Not a Bailey hater, I think he will be fine and hope he makes the same leap next year that Okposo made this season. I think he can.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:34 AM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I agree. I generally like Bailey, he is coming along but just because he played a couple games next to JT doesn't mean he deserves to stay.

In fact ( I was at the game yesterday) and the one player that disappointed me or at least underwhelmed was Bailey. He seemed tight, made a few dumb passes and the puck kept popping off his stick. Definitely looked like nerves.

Not a Bailey hater, I think he will be fine and hope he makes the same leap next year that Okposo made this season. I think he can.
I just think based on the players they have he is currently the best fit. He is a two way player and a playmaker which to me is something tavares needs. Bailey is not a first line player ,but i just think he should get his chance with tavares. Capuano sticks with the same lines too much.

Beastrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:51 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post

I would take that guy's opinion on Bailey with a grain of salt. Pretty sure he's the one who refers to him as "Failey".

All you need to do is look at Tavares' play since Bailey has gotten his promotion.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:56 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Id rather bernier then halak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
Bernier has played very well for the Kings and was their goalie of the future until Quick's playoff run last year. Trading him for Niño would not be a bad deal at all.
I'd rather just bring Nabokov back and go with Nilsson or Poulin in a 1A/1B situation instead of trading an asset like Nino for an unproven goalie. IMO Bernier's upside is basically on par with a guy like Nilsson anyway.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:22 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'd rather just bring Nabokov back and go with Nilsson or Poulin in a 1A/1B situation instead of trading an asset like Nino for an unproven goalie. IMO Bernier's upside is basically on par with a guy like Nilsson anyway.
No one besides Isles fans would put Bernier on par with Nilsson at this point. Bernier is heads and shoulders above Poulin and Nilsson.

I would personally trade LA our 1st round pick this year plus a prospect like Poulin, Sundstrom or Persson over Nino but sometimes you have to give to get.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:58 AM
CREW99AW

I don't think Mike Smith gets anywhere close to the $6m he wants. I wouldn't mind if Snow offered Smith or Khudobin a 2-3 yr offer.

Even tolling Thomas contract and going with a TT/Poulin duo, would be a possibility if Snow and Nabby part ways

Old
05-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Fan101

Judging by how long it took to get KO to this level, I still think they are trying not to rush Nino, but they do have him slated for the top line and PP.

Nelson may also be ready soon and may get a shot at wing with Tavares.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:17 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
No one besides Isles fans would put Bernier on par with Nilsson at this point. Bernier is heads and shoulders above Poulin and Nilsson.

I would personally trade LA our 1st round pick this year plus a prospect like Poulin, Sundstrom or Persson over Nino but sometimes you have to give to get.
I understand you have to give to get. I'm just not giving anything of Nino's value to get a guy who has never proven anything as a starting goalie. I'd rather take my chances with a Nabokov-Nilsson(who IMO is closer to Bernier than you might think) tandem and keep the assets; or again, deal them for someone proven.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Brunomics

If the Isles trade for Bernier it's the 1st plus a pick/prospect. It'll end up being similar to the Varlamov deal.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:44 AM
duster19

Quote:
I understand you have to give to get. I'm just not giving anything of Nino's value to get a guy who has never proven anything as a starting goalie. I'd rather take my chances with a Nabokov-Nilsson(who IMO is closer to Bernier than you might think) tandem and keep the assets; or again, deal them for someone proven.
What has Nino shown at the NHL level? Bernier has shown to be more of an NHL calibre player then Nino has.

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:57 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
What has Nino shown at the NHL level? Bernier has shown to be more of an NHL calibre player then Nino has.
So because 19 yr old Nino struggled on the 4th line, playing alongside Reasoner and Pandolfo, he can't develop into the first liner the Isles think he'll become?

So glad Nino's playing well, against older pros at the WC. It gives Snow and his European scouts an idea, of what he can bring to the isles top 6.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:08 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Come on, Snow's the GM... it would take the jaws of life to pry Nino or any other 1st rounder drafted by the organization.

I'd like Bernier too, but for the 1st rounder and something else. A 1st and Nino is crazy overpayment IMO.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:09 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
What Nino has or hasn't proven is irrelevent. The whole point of trading him is to bring in a proven NHL goaltender or defender. Trading him for another unknown would be a gigantic risk.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:16 PM
doug88

vCash: 365
And here we go, 3rd goal for el nino at the WC against the czech republic as swiss win 5-2 to go 3-0

doug88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:17 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Come on, Snow's the GM... it would take the jaws of life to pry Nino or any other 1st rounder drafted by the organization.

I'd like Bernier too, but for the 1st rounder and something else. A 1st and Nino is crazy overpayment IMO.
No one here said Nino and a 1st. It's an either or kind of thing.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:21 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
So because 19 yr old Nino struggled on the 4th line, playing alongside Reasoner and Pandolfo, he can't develop into the first liner the Isles think he'll become?

So glad Nino's playing well, against older pros at the WC. It gives Snow and his European scouts an idea, of what he can bring to the isles top 6.
Not really what I said. The post I was referencing was saying Bernier was not an NHL proven goalie. I was pointing out that Bernier has had a much better NHL career to date then Nino has.

Im not sure if Nino will develop. Im not a big fan because of his attitude this past year.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
duster19

Quote:
What Nino has or hasn't proven is irrelevent. The whole point of trading him is to bring in a proven NHL goaltender or defender. Trading him for another unknown would be a gigantic risk.
Nino is a risk...

Old
05-06-2013, 12:29 PM
TheZec

I won't trade Nino for Bernier. Personally I don't like trading for starters, unless you are competing for a playoff spot and your goalie gets injured. I believe goalies can be had for nothing as UFA - either NHL goalies or, as Anaheim has shown with Hiller and Fasth, from Europe. Those would also be pretty cheap.

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:32 PM
gramatanboy

LA is facing a dilemma with their two goalies that every other team knows and thus the cost of acquiring JB will not be as high as some here assume. Therefore, if the Islanders offered their 2013 first rounder and a secondary prospect that would be a very good offer for JB, who has not played much in the NHL in the last three years. There is no need to trade a 20 year old Nino, whose play this year in the AHL and WC has been very good!!

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don't think Mike Smith gets anywhere close to the $6m he wants. I wouldn't mind if Snow offered Smith or Khudobin a 2-3 yr offer.

Even tolling Thomas contract and going with a TT/Poulin duo, would be a possibility if Snow and Nabby part ways
THAT'S the guy I want. Khudobin is just about to break out. 26 years old, his statistics are phenomenal.

14-5-0-1 record, 2.03 ga and .933 sp career-wise, I think he's ready to be a number 1 on some team, hopefully the Islanders.

AND, if you re-sign Nabby, he'd be a great mentor fo Khudobin.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:51 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
No one here said Nino and a 1st. It's an either or kind of thing.
My mistake, I think I saw that in the Trade Rumor thread.

With that, the 1st round and secondary prospects is fine. Unless it's in a package for someone like Bobby Ryan (doubtful he's available), Nino should be almost impossible to pry away from Snow.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:10 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

With that, the 1st round and secondary prospects is fine. Unless it's in a package for someone like Bobby Ryan (doubtful he's available), Nino should be almost impossible to pry away from Snow.
1-2 posters on the main board, have argued Nino+ 1st is fair.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:13 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:

Kings fans will ask for a lot more than we care to offer. Their belief is that an RFA offer sheet in the higher price range will top out at a 1st and 3rd round pick. So that is their entry point for negotiations.