HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Are we competitive next year?

Old
05-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Mota

vCash: 500
I think the key to this team being a cup contender is Schenn and Couturier. When and if both of those guys break out and become the players they have the potential to be, this team will be really scary.

I think that day will come soon...in the next season or two. The key for Homer is to bring in the right supporting cast. He has his core, now he just needs to take the Pat Gillick approach and make the smart smaller moves.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:12 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I think the key to this team being a cup contender is Schenn and Couturier. When and if both of those guys break out and become the players they have the potential to be, this team will be really scary.

I think that day will come soon...in the next season or two. The key for Homer is to bring in the right supporting cast. He has his core, now he just needs to take the Pat Gillick approach and make the smart smaller moves.
As long as the Flyers have a good supporting cast and don't pin it all on them like Carter and Richards. But yeah once they break out ..the team will or should be a much better contender.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:30 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Yes, I think they'll be much better next year. Really, the Flyers are better than many playoff teams I've been watching this week: NYI, NYR, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto come to mind in the East. And I'm not scared of Pitt, Boston or Wash either. If healthy we are a match for any of them. Honestly, they were just starting to come around when all the D got hurt. If the D had stayed healthy, we'd be playing now.

For next year, we really need to buy Briere out and add one good big winger (Horton? Stallberg?) and acquire another mobile Dman. Looking unlikely that Zaitsev is it now, but I'm hopeful we'll find someone either as a Euro UFA or via trade.

Luke Schenn emerged as the stud many of us thought he would be. i'd like to keep Meszaros, since no one will take him anyway....Gustafsson really put himself into the mix, and Lauridsen is close. Coburn, Grossmann and Timonen make it a good group, injuries nothwithstanding.

Both Brayden Schenn and Coots really stepped it up late in the year offensively, I think that will continue. Laughton is going to be a good player to add into the roster. McGinn and Noebbels will help add size to the wings.

I always liked Bryz, so if he stays , he'll be good and Mason will push him.

There is a lot to like with this team, good young forwards, some good young D too. Can't wait for training camp.
They do have a winning record against 5/8 playoff teams. And Toronto just looks inexperienced as **** right now.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:37 PM
AaronTrieu

Yes. We don't really miss the playoffs twice in a row.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:10 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:

I agree completely. When you look at where couts and schenn project to be and add g Simmonds jake Hartnell read all the way down to talbot and rinaldo we really do have one of the best fwd groups in the league. That was shown finishing top 3 two years ago in offense and top 3 this year in pp. If those two guys step it up which I know they will we are a force.

D just has to stay healthy and mason play avg and we are a finals contender in the east no doubt.

Seeing how mason looks to be at least above avg and we will prob improve our d through some means I think we are in very good shape.

I really look fwd to seeing Luke in the playoffs that kind of stud is worth JVR all day

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:29 AM
daynus

with a healthy steve mason

this team is gonna have a big jump in winning %, and i think this will force bryz to improve as well. kinda like having 2 dogs and 1 bone. in a perfect world the dogs will each get the bone half the time. i can see both these guys playing 40 games a piece and snagging 20 some wins each. so whos the goalie in the playoffs. worry about that when you make the playoffs.

and both b schenn and coutts both will improve.they have to, so this team can move forwards not backwards. and a healthier back end, is another must for this team to make the playoffs.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Wixztor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
When you look at where couts and schenn project to be and add g Simmonds jake Hartnell read all the way down to talbot and rinaldo we really do have one of the best fwd groups in the league.
This is actually something that Flyers fans don't acknowledge enough. I really don't get why. We do have quality guys up front and should pride ourselves on that like other fanbases do (*cough* Pens *cough*)

As for Schenn and Couturier, Brayden could have a real breakout year in 2013-14. He's starting to get something to prove, not living off projected potential anymore, and could hopefully rise to the challenge. Add a little more speed (hopefully) and some confidence going into next year and he could have a 45-50 point season.

Couturier could be several years from his potential. He most likely won't have a significantly bigger point total (PPG-wise) next year. That's not a dig at the kid, more an educated guess from observation. As has been said so many times, his skating is sub-par and his improvement will depend a lot on how that develops, either by training or by nature (maturing).

Wixztor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:09 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
this team is gonna have a big jump in winning %, and i think this will force bryz to improve as well. kinda like having 2 dogs and 1 bone. in a perfect world the dogs will each get the bone half the time. i can see both these guys playing 40 games a piece and snagging 20 some wins each. so whos the goalie in the playoffs. worry about that when you make the playoffs.

and both b schenn and coutts both will improve.they have to, so this team can move forwards not backwards. and a healthier back end, is another must for this team to make the playoffs.
Back in the good old days, when Bobrovsky and Bryz was the starters 1a and 1b a lot of "insiders" and "experts" have the opinion, that Bryz can only perform, when he plays a lot. He is a workhorse and he must be a workhorse to play his best hockey. This was one of the most mentioned arguments why Bryz is sucking the whole season. Now we have seen a workhorse Bryz who isnīt any better.

Now all of you want Mason and Bryz to play a lot? 60%/40% or 50%/50%....?

In my eyes it is really simple!!

Trade Bryz or buy him out! Sign a cheap 1b Goalie and let Mason and the new goalie fight for their lives! Khudobin would be a very good adition. We donīt need a worldclass goalie. We only need a solid one like Mason have shown us the last games of the season!

but Homer and Snider arenīt able to see it....

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:22 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Mason has to prove he can regain his Calder form and keep it before he can be a starter for us. As of right now, Bryz is the starter, but if he were to falter, and Mason could step up, they revert to a 1a 1b tandem, if Bryz continues to slide and Mason continues to play well, he gets to be starter and Bryz is amnesty'd next off season

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Mason has to prove he can regain his Calder form and keep it before he can be a starter for us. As of right now, Bryz is the starter, but if he were to falter, and Mason could step up, they revert to a 1a 1b tandem, if Bryz continues to slide and Mason continues to play well, he gets to be starter and Bryz is amnesty'd next off season
If Mason would play like Bryz has done it up or slightly under 90% save percentage he will be gold for us. Because he isnīt that expensive than Bryz. And Mason posting a 90% percentage is the worst case. And we than have a lot of cap space for someone who can help our D or Wingers...

In my eyes Mason can easily be the starter for us.

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:54 AM
duffy9748

As others have said, the offense is fine. The team is set at the center position for the next 7-10 years barring any significant injuries and there is a good blend of skill, speed,grit, and versatility on the wings. Out of the young core(28,93,10,14,17,24,Laughton), I see Read as the only one being tough to fit in long term.

The future of the team really relies on what Holmgren does this offseason to upgrade the defense. Just me speculating but I don't see Holmgren drafting a defenseman at #11 and waiting 3-4 years for him to make the impact they need. It is hard to really eliminate any possibilities after what Holmgren did last offseason with Weber but I think he goes after the best young d-men in the league. Again just me speculating but I think Yandle ends up on the Flyers. Others players who have been mentioned(OEL, Pietrangelo,ect.) won't be available.

Price on Yandle is tough to gauge but I'd guess the 11th pick would be involved as would a roster player.

A top 7 of Yandle,Schenn,Coburn,Grossman,Timonen,Mez, and Gus would be enough for them to get into the playoffs and whether they are a contender or not depends on how the goaltending performs.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
If Mason would play like Bryz has done it up or slightly under 90% save percentage he will be gold for us. Because he isnīt that expensive than Bryz. And Mason posting a 90% percentage is the worst case. And we than have a lot of cap space for someone who can help our D or Wingers...

In my eyes Mason can easily be the starter for us.
The question with Mason really isnt his talent or ability. What we saw in his 7 starts here is the goalie he can be. The question with Mason is mental. Sure, he played well for us down the stretch with no pressure on him...what I really want to see is how he bounces back from a bad game or a bad stretch from the team. Let's face it, the new goalie in town is always loved at first, but one bad start or two and Mason will become the new Bryz around here. If he can prove to stay hungry and have strong bounce back games, I really like the idea of him as the goalie of the future. Until he can prove that though (because he couldnt in CLB), I wont be buying a Mason jersey.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:38 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
The question with Mason really isnt his talent or ability. What we saw in his 7 starts here is the goalie he can be. The question with Mason is mental. Sure, he played well for us down the stretch with no pressure on him...what I really want to see is how he bounces back from a bad game or a bad stretch from the team. Let's face it, the new goalie in town is always loved at first, but one bad start or two and Mason will become the new Bryz around here. If he can prove to stay hungry and have strong bounce back games, I really like the idea of him as the goalie of the future. Until he can prove that though (because he couldnt in CLB), I wont be buying a Mason jersey.
I couldn't agree more.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

In my opinion, this team was better than some of the teams in the playoffs. I think we were better (not including injuries) than the Habs, Senators, Rangers, Islanders, and we were playing better than the bruins at some points.

If we do not make the playoffs next year, heads are gonna start rolling.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Haute Couturier

It depends on what they do, but right now I think they may be a borderline playoff team. I think they will once again be towards the bottom of the league in save percentage so the question is will their offense be good enough to overcome that?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:14 PM
TheLegendkiller

Some trades involving Elder have been thrown around as well. And if Vancouver implodes they might have a fire sale and their fans believe a 1st and a top prospect/roster player would be enough.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:19 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Some trades involving Elder have been thrown around as well. And if Vancouver implodes they might have a fire sale and their fans believe a 1st and a top prospect/roster player would be enough.
maybe a deal centered around Coburn and Edler. 2 players that probably could use a change of scenery.
Im not convinced Vancouver goes full blown firesale. i think they may clean house with coaches and management tho.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:24 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Does everybody realize Brayden, in an 82 game season was on pace for like 46 points? He was pretty snakebitten for 2/3 of the season. Hes going to be a stud.

Ill be happy if Couturier puts up 40-45 points next year also.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:26 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Totally agree. Reminds me a bit of when Hackett came here, and I kept telling people he wasn't that good. Of course to my horror he got a shutout in his first two games, and people all the sudden loved him and though he was going to be that good all the time. Then of course the wheels came off. That said I expect to be competitive, but certainly not a Cup favorite.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Totally agree. Reminds me a bit of when Hackett came here, and I kept telling people he wasn't that good. Of course to my horror he got a shutout in his first two games, and people all the sudden loved him and though he was going to be that good all the time. Then of course the wheels came off. That said I expect to be competitive, but certainly not a Cup favorite.
Hackett was the guy that had the serious vertigo issues didnt he?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:38 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Hackett was the guy that had the serious vertigo issues didnt he?
Yup, but he was first diagnosed with it halfway during his first season with us and eventually retired shortly after that.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:37 AM
dats81

With a young team you gonna see a lot of ups and downs.
A shortened season magnifies all woes and there is no time to recover from a slow start. In an 82 game season this team could probably have sneaked into the playoff this year if Grossmann and Coburn come back to play in time.

Next year I fully expect them back in the playoffs. To actually contend it takes some sort of makeover on D, B.Schenn and Couts to make it to the next level, and a hot goalie.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I wouldn't bank on Couturier and Schenn making a big offensive difference just yet. My expectation for them is age 23-24 is when we ought to expect serious offense from them, and if that doesn't happen it's time to get concerned.

05-07-2013, 03:10 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I wouldn't bank on Couturier and Schenn making a big offensive difference just yet. My expectation for them is age 23-24 is when we ought to expect serious offense from them, and if that doesn't happen it's time to get concerned.
So we need to bring in some UFA Scoring next season?

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:28 AM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJoe View Post
How does Schenn remind you of JVR? They don't even play the same position. One of JVR's biggest flaws was that he wasn't physical something you certainly can't say about Schenn. Since his injury to start the 11-12 season Schenn's health hasn't been a persistent problem whatsoever. He's been one of the teams most durable players in fact. Lack of durability was one of JVR's calling cards. This comparison makes absolutely no sense to me.
Both were supposed to be these great cant miss prospects and neither has lived up to thier hype. Both are VERY streaky, score in bunches then cant find the score sheet for extended periods of time. Just like JVR, Schenn could be moved for the right price or peice.

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote