HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 07:16 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

vCash: 500
don't want Gardiner

Old
05-05-2013, 08:23 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Agree, he is soft as can be. But I think him paired with big stay at home like Gross, he could be Great.

Kimmo
Gards
Guss.

Gives us good pmd on each pair with future top pair of Luke and Gards.
That is interesting but not worth our first

Old
05-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Agree, he is soft as can be. But I think him paired with big stay at home like Gross, he could be Great.

Kimmo
Gards
Guss.

Gives us good pmd on each pair with future top pair of Luke and Gards.
That would be an awful top pair. Gardiner is a soft minutes dman.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Prongo
Beer

If we do try to move up a couple places in the second round and Ryan Hartman is available, I would be quite disappointed if we do not take him. He is projected to go around the mid 20's.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Whenever I watch clips or games of Drouin, I just come across thinking are there really 2 better players in this draft. Drouin imo is about as dominant a forward ive seen in junior since Tavares. He looks like he is about 3 steps ahead of everyone else. Physically I don't know how he compares to a guy like Mackinnon but from skill alone he is head and shoulders above anyone else in this draft.

What are the possibilities of him playing center in the NHL?

Old
05-05-2013, 09:45 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If we do try to move up a couple places in the second round and Ryan Hartman is available, I would be quite disappointed if we do not take him. He is projected to go around the mid 20's.
Not sure Ryan Hartman will be available in the 2nd. He'll probably be a mid to late first. The guy I'm hoping that's available in the 2nd is either Ian McCoshen or Madison Bowey. McCoshen had a fantastic year in the USHL and he's going to Boston College, a fantastic hockey program. As for Bowey, he plays in Kelowna, where they've produced several good defensemen, including Shea Weber, Luke Schenn and Alex Edler. I'm hoping this year, the club goes defense heavy, especially with all the high end defenders available.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Any chance our 1st gets us Gardiner ?
I hope not. I'd rather have Nurse, Rist, Pulock or Zadorov.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:50 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Not sure Ryan Hartman will be available in the 2nd. He'll probably be a mid to late first. The guy I'm hoping that's available in the 2nd is either Ian McCoshen or Madison Bowey. McCoshen had a fantastic year in the USHL and he's going to Boston College, a fantastic hockey program. As for Bowey, he plays in Kelowna, where they've produced several good defensemen, including Shea Weber, Luke Schenn and Alex Edler. I'm hoping this year, the club goes defense heavy, especially with all the high end defenders available.
I could see them targeting Bowey. Decent sized, a bit raw, decent to okay shot, skates well and makes good passes.

I would hope someone like Bigras is available. Does a bit of everything well and the guy just refuses to take a minus. If someone like Rychel falls to them-- that guy screams Flyers. I wonder if they're looking at Heatherington due to his performance at U18. Big, more of a defensive defenseman though. Potential replacement should a resigning of a d-d-man become obnoxious.

There are some others worth mentioning as well-- but I'll hang on to those thoughts for a bit before reporters come to poach them.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50

Halifax and Blainville-Broisbrilland

Old
05-05-2013, 01:08 PM
JayB

What you guys think Jacob de la Rose, Nick Sørensen, Andre' Burakowsky or Tyler Hill at second round ?

Some interesting gyus from third round who we should be interested :Michael Downing, Hudson Fasching, Michael McCarron, John Hayden, Zach Sanford, Ross Olsson and Mason Geertsen.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Haute Couturier

Really hoping for Petan or Lehkonen in the 2nd. Both have first round skill, but are ranked lower due to size and concussion issues respectively. I doubt either will be there when we pick though.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
What you guys think Jacob de la Rose, Nick Sørensen, Andre' Burakowsky or Tyler Hill at second round ?

Some interesting gyus from third round who we should be interested :Michael Downing, Hudson Fasching, Michael McCarron, John Hayden, Zach Sanford, Ross Olsson and Mason Geertsen.
I like Micheal McCarron from the USNDPT. He was one of the better forwards for the US in the U-18's, big kid too 6'5" 230 lbs.. If we were to pick him hopefully Homer and management would convince him to go to London over Michigan State.

Fasching is interesting was once considered a phenom while playing high school hockey in Minnesota but didn't really live up to those expectations with the USNDPT.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-05-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old
05-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Krishna

take a D man in the first
Take a D man in the 2nd

Do that

Old
05-05-2013, 10:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
take a D man in the first
Take a D man in the 2nd

Do that
You could always use size on the wings too. Anyway BPA is the route they should use with all their picks.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Krishna

Have 4 or 5 games uploading now and will post in the morning.

Also have to head down to temple to pick summer courses and will upload/post more when I get home

Old
05-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I think i have said this before but I really think the stregnth of the draft is in that 10-25 range, especially for defenseman. After reading scouting reports on zadorav, Muller, Theordore, Morrissey, and Hagg I feel like Mueller and Zadorov are guys id really like. Theordore is another guy who i think will rise come draft time.

Id love to trade 11 for either calgary's or Columbus's 2 first round picks in the later portion of the drat. I feel if we pick at 19 and 15 we could get Theodore and Maybe another defenseman or a guy like Bo horvat.

Had we picked 8th i think a trade of 8th for 14 and 19 to cbj would not be unrealistic and that could have netted us mueller and Morrsissey.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You could always use size on the wings too. Anyway BPA is the route they should use with all their picks.
I don't think that is the case in this year's first round (all other rounds I am fine going BPA). Normally I have no problem with that. It makes the most sense. But if the BPA is a center, it makes no sense to draft him in the first round of this year's draft (unless you plan on trading one of our other centers). I understand you don't want to draft to fill an NHL need. But I don't have a problem drafting to fill an organizational need. The Flyers have no defensive prospects to speak of. Ghost is years away and in a perfect world best case scenario it looks like he could possibly be a top 4 guy. Other than that, the situation is bleak.

If it comes down to lets say Monahan and one of the defenders on your list, even if Monahan is the better player, I still think you go defense. If the BPA is a winger over a defender, take him. But if the choice is between a center or a defender, I think you have to get defense. Drafting a center doesn't fill a need, doesn't help the team now, and likely doesn't help for years to come and in that situation only when there is a trade (or two) or a position change (or two). It simply doesn't make sense in this year's draft for this team.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think that is the case in this year's first round (all other rounds I am fine going BPA). Normally I have no problem with that. It makes the most sense. But if the BPA is a center, it makes no sense to draft him in the first round of this year's draft (unless you plan on trading one of our other centers). I understand you don't want to draft to fill an NHL need. But I don't have a problem drafting to fill an organizational need. The Flyers have no defensive prospects to speak of. Ghost is years away and in a perfect world best case scenario it looks like he could possibly be a top 4 guy. Other than that, the situation is bleak.

If it comes down to lets say Monahan and one of the defenders on your list, even if Monahan is the better player, I still think you go defense. If the BPA is a winger over a defender, take him. But if the choice is between a center or a defender, I think you have to get defense. Drafting a center doesn't fill a need, doesn't help the team now, and likely doesn't help for years to come and in that situation only when there is a trade (or two) or a position change (or two). It simply doesn't make sense in this year's draft for this team.
I agree the Flyers need defense help bad now and in the future. However if you look around the league, there is a greater portion of good to great defensemen taken after the 1st round than there are good to great forwards. In fact, the majority of the top scorers in the league were lottery picks (1-14), with the percentage growing even higher if you take away the players taken later in the 2003 draft, which was epic for its depth. I want the Flyers to take Pulock or Ristolainen or even trade back if they can get another 1st or high 2nd to invest in more defense. If one of the top forwards falls though like Monahan the Flyers should take them. They hopefully won't be in position to grab a forward of that calibre in many years to come.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:31 AM
JayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think i have said this before but I really think the stregnth of the draft is in that 10-25 range, especially for defenseman. After reading scouting reports on zadorav, Muller, Theordore, Morrissey, and Hagg I feel like Mueller and Zadorov are guys id really like. Theordore is another guy who i think will rise come draft time.

Id love to trade 11 for either calgary's or Columbus's 2 first round picks in the later portion of the drat. I feel if we pick at 19 and 15 we could get Theodore and Maybe another defenseman or a guy like Bo horvat.

Had we picked 8th i think a trade of 8th for 14 and 19 to cbj would not be unrealistic and that could have netted us mueller and Morrsissey.
This.

I would do a package Columbus,Calgary or Buffalo to get multiple first rounders. And im so high this years deep draft that im ready to trade something our own to second rounders too.

Is it too much for something like Couturier+11/13 for Columbus ALL three picks (IF NYR and LA drop first round)+J.Johnson? That is just example , not really want to do that. It is just really hard to know what is the value of picks. Example, if we have two third rounders, is that fair value to trade them to earlie second rounder?

Others to trade for first/second/third rounders; Read,Talbot,Meszaros.
Like this:

Read+Talbot+Gervais to Montreal for three (34,36 and 57) second round picks.
Meszaros+3th+4th round pick to San Jose for three second round picks. (49,50 and 60)

There is Dallas (40,54 and 56) too, Anaheim (45 and 58), Buffalo (38 and 48).

Montreal have quite good picks in second round (bolded), in mock drafts there maybe are avaible many good defenders.

Last edited by JayB: 05-06-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old
05-06-2013, 08:47 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
There are some Flyer-esque wings available.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Krishna

Prospects for the videos are off the top of my head

Max Domi, Nikita Zadorov, Bo Horvat for london

Nichushkin for Traktor

Last edited by Krishna: 05-06-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old
05-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Flyers deal Laughton off in a trade for a NHL defenseman and then draft a center like Monahan. The possibilities are out there. Look for Holmgren to be creative and make a move or two that really improves the roster.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Krishna

London has domi, zadorov, horvat, and flyers prospect Anthony Stolarz

Old
05-06-2013, 09:30 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Flyers deal Laughton off in a trade for a NHL defenseman and then draft a center like Monahan. The possibilities are out there. Look for Holmgren to be creative and make a move or two that really improves the roster.
Laughton + Who/What? He isnt a strong enough prospect on his own to net a quality NHL defenceman any better then what we already have alot of, in middle pairing d-men.

I agree though, if Monahan slips to 11th (very unlikely IMO), Flyers would be stupid to pass on him to select an available d-man.

Personally, I'm not sure any of these d-men outside of Jones project to be above average 1st pairing guys, do they? By project, I mean from a sure bet sort of manner.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree the Flyers need defense help bad now and in the future. However if you look around the league, there is a greater portion of good to great defensemen taken after the 1st round than there are good to great forwards. In fact, the majority of the top scorers in the league were lottery picks (1-14), with the percentage growing even higher if you take away the players taken later in the 2003 draft, which was epic for its depth. I want the Flyers to take Pulock or Ristolainen or even trade back if they can get another 1st or high 2nd to invest in more defense. If one of the top forwards falls though like Monahan the Flyers should take them. They hopefully won't be in position to grab a forward of that calibre in many years to come.
Guys can certainly be found in the later rounds, but I don't think you want to bank on that. The Flyers prospect pool is essentially empty in terms of defensive prospects, whereas they are overflowing with center prospects. If I'm GM I am targeting defenders in the first round. Now, of course there are scenarios where I would take a center, like let's say for whatever reason Homer and company don't think Risto/Pulock/etc are as good as other scouts do. Then it makes more sense because you don't want to pick a guy you don't think is any good. I am more talking about a situation where you have a board of lets say the 10 best players. #8 is Monahan and #10 is Ristolainen. If they are both available I would take Ristolainen even though I might think Monahan is going to be a better player because Monahan would be redundant on this team. I do understand why others wouldn't go this route though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Yeah I could see something like that going on, and that is a scenario where drafting a center over a defender makes more sense.

Closed Thread