HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Smith headed to free agency?

Old
05-04-2013, 02:28 PM
XX
... Waiting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKEA View Post
who is the next mike smith?
Any goalie over 6'3 is golden in Tippett's system under Sean Burke. Witness Chad Johnson.

Smith has had behavior issues on and off the ice, to go with his injuries and inconsistencies. The team could never count on the same performance twice from him, and as a result they struggled. Anyone who pays Smith $6m+ like he wants is an idiot.

Quote:
"Iíve solidified being a No. 1 goaltender"
No Smitty. You had 1 good season on a division winning team that went to the conference finals. One that was renowned for being goalie friendly. To demand the sort of money he has is silly. It's even ****tier once you consider that Tippett personally vouched for him when Maloney was looking to replace Bryzgalov, at a time when Smith was likely headed to the ECHL.

He wore out his welcome. Wouldn't give him anything over 4m per year. Someone who needs goaltending and has space to burn will give him 5 or 6, though.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:22 PM
ducky

Quote:
Hmmm...

Lindback?

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

If the 'Yotes do move on from Mike Smith, Cedrick Desjardins could be an interesting fit.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Wouldn't mind him in Edmonton depending on the asking price. It's a risk because of Phoenix's system and what Bryzgalov has done in Philly but might be worth a look. I think the Oilers want a 1a 1b kind of tandem considering they went after Ben Bishop at the deadline.

I can see CGY, BUF (if they trade Miller), MIN, NJD (Brodeur probably retiring after next year) all being in on him.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:54 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
If he leaves, I really hope they pick up Greiss, he deserves more than SJ gives him (playing time) and he has all the talent to be a solid starter in the desert.
that would actually be a pretty decent fit.

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:12 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Another Bryzgalov for some sorry team. Protected by the most defensive team in the league. Maybe a team that wants to tank can sign him so they look like they are trying without sacrificing draft position?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:26 AM
slv

Quote:
Khabibulin.

Maybe Emery

slv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:09 AM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
If he leaves, I really hope they pick up Greiss, he deserves more than SJ gives him (playing time) and he has all the talent to be a solid starter in the desert.
I've been quietly thinking this as well. But I'm not sold on him, either. However, I do want him in a Coyotes sweater next year. I think our defense could make him look better than we did Smith at times.

I just don't like his comment about proving he is a number one and getting compensated. Did he prove it, or did the Coyotes manufacture it? Perhaps it was taken out of context. Either way, not many teams are going to put a group of defenders like Phoenixs' in front of him. He should consider that.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:38 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
I've been quietly thinking this as well. But I'm not sold on him, either. However, I do want him in a Coyotes sweater next year. I think our defense could make him look better than we did Smith at times.

I just don't like his comment about proving he is a number one and getting compensated. Did he prove it, or did the Coyotes manufacture it? Perhaps it was taken out of context. Either way, not many teams are going to put a group of defenders like Phoenixs' in front of him. He should consider that.
All I got from his comments is that he wants term and have never heard, other than mere speculation, what he wants per year! Also I interpret his comments saying that he wants to settle down with a stable franchise. I do get tired of his antics on the ice, and prefer someone else to goaltend for the Coyotes, but between his puckhandling skills and his size, he is a good fit for the Coyotes, & IMO, a better fit than Greiss. I would have loved the Coyotes to get Big Ben, but TB out bid the Coyotes.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I can see CGY, BUF (if they trade Miller), MIN, NJD (Brodeur probably retiring after next year) all being in on him.
Not a chance as far as Buffalo goes - if they deal Miller, his age (33) and contract/cap hit ($6M) will be primary reasons for doing so. Why would they then go out and sign a 31-year old who will likely be demanding a raise to the $4.5 - 5M range? For that marginal difference, the Sabres would be better off in keeping the more successful and proven goalie of the two in Miller. Smith is nothing more than a one-hit wonder IMO, who's getting too much hype off essentially one great season as a starter.

If Miller leaves, the Sabres will either give Enroth a chance to start for a rebuilding team or they'll pursue a younger goalie with NHL experience from another organization (i.e. Bernier, Crawford).

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

- Bryz gets bought out by Philly.
- Philly Signs Smith
- Phoenix takes Bryz back at LOW LOW price.
- Smith flops in Philly
- Bryz does amazing
- Tippett gets to laugh once again.

It is all a secret ploy by Tippett to get goalies paid then bring them back at LOW cost to his team.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:14 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Got to agree with most here. He is going to get paid WAY too much money. I don't think he is that good of a goalie. I wouldn't sign this guy for longer than 2 years.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Bryz left on bad terms in Phoenix. His former teammates blasted him to the media. Doan, Morris, Aucoin, etc all had very negative things to say about him on the record. The veteren leadership was publicly happy he left. I can't see him back in Phoenix. In fact, I think we need to be done with polarizing, controversial goaltenders. I'd really like to find a very quiet, very consisistent, very low key kind of goalie that just quietly goes about his business with no antics.

05-06-2013, 12:15 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I do like the Thomas Greiss idea a lot.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:34 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I'm hoping he walks and the Yotes trade for Luongo. Would be the perfect place for him to regain his elite capability. Lord knows he deserves everything about Phoenix.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:37 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
I'm hoping he walks and the Yotes trade for Luongo. Would be the perfect place for him to regain his elite capability. Lord knows he deserves everything about Phoenix.
Is Vancouver eating 50% of the entire contract?

Old
05-06-2013, 12:39 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Is Vancouver eating 50% of the entire contract?
Depending on what comes back I suspect they would eat part of it. Fact is, no goalie you will find for 2.65 will be nearly as good as Luongo is. He would be a fantastic pick up, although obviously the salary is an issue to work around.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:46 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Depending on what comes back I suspect they would eat part of it. Fact is, no goalie you will find for 2.65 will be nearly as good as Luongo is. He would be a fantastic pick up, although obviously the salary is an issue to work around.
It's about SALARY not about cap hit. More than three million bucks is a whole lot to spend on ANY goalie for a team with a 50m player budget.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:12 AM
JuicyJ*

Yotes fans didnt have a problem calling Smith the best goalie in the nHL last year. Weird how things change I guess

JuicyJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 04:58 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyJ View Post
Weird how things change I guess
Was he the best? no. But certainly among the top. Nothing weird about it.

Smith was awesome last year. Smith sucked and/or was inconsistent this year.

Seems to me like we call it about how it is.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:32 AM
CREW99AW

I wouldn't mind Snow jumping into the mix, if Smith hits the ufa market.

Nabby played a huge role on the ice and in the locker room, helping the isles get into the playoffs. But, he's struggling in the post season, making me wonder if it won't effect his extension talks.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Was he the best? no. But certainly among the top. Nothing weird about it.

Smith was awesome last year. Smith sucked and/or was inconsistent this year.

Seems to me like we call it about how it is.
Last year our defense played great in front of Smith and he played great. This year the defense was not as good as was Smith. I think the real Mr. Smith is somewhere in between. Three years 10m? Three years 12M? Or somewhere in between?

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:47 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
Last year our defense played great in front of Smith and he played great. This year the defense was not as good as was Smith. I think the real Mr. Smith is somewhere in between. Three years 10m? Three years 12M? Or somewhere in between?
I'm actually not nearly as concerned with his overall play level once the year ends as his month to month consistency. 2013 Smith was Jekyll and Hyde.

Assuming Tippet is retained, I'm pretty confident in an 82 game season those defensive issues will be corrected.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:51 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
1: Edmonton can't afford to plunk big money into a goalie right now.
2: I'll wait until I see Smith play on a team which doesn't make the goalie's job look so easy before I agree with giving him a big contract.
3: This guy was a borderline bum before he came to Phoenix. Wouldn't surprise me if his stats dipped considerably if he was signed by... say... Philly.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:04 AM
PhoenixCoyotes19

Send a message via MSN to PhoenixCoyotes19 Send a message via Yahoo to PhoenixCoyotes19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Bryz left on bad terms in Phoenix. His former teammates blasted him to the media. Doan, Morris, Aucoin, etc all had very negative things to say about him on the record. The veteren leadership was publicly happy he left. I can't see him back in Phoenix. In fact, I think we need to be done with polarizing, controversial goaltenders. I'd really like to find a very quiet, very consisistent, very low key kind of goalie that just quietly goes about his business with no antics.
AKA Chad Johnson

PhoenixCoyotes19 is offline   Reply With Quote