HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Ideally you send Tinordi to Hamilton to start the year and you sign a big stay at home guy for 1-2 years. Tinordi is insurance if Emelin isn't ready to start the season.
I don't know how we could justify starting Tinordi in Hamilton now. I totally agreed with that as the default plan, circa a few weeks ago, mind you. Sign a bigger stay-at-home D as a UFA, and just call up Tinordi whenever we needed somebody to step in, sort of like this year. But now... he really does seem to have stepped up his game to meet the needs for playing regularly in the NHL, don't you think? We have 6 other guys signed, and Tinordi. I think that makes it pretty unlikely that we seek out another D on the UFA market now, I think we already have our 7.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:53 AM
shutehinside

Apparently we need more size...

Old
05-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Ryane Clowe, if he chooses to test the free agency market, won't come cheap. Not that he deserves a fat contract, but because big guys who can skate, score and scrap or a dime a dozen. He will be in high demand. I don't believe that the Habs will get him.

If I'm Montreal, I keep a close eye on Vancouver, who will be looking at making some major changes. If Kesler is on the block, I'd try to get right in there. But more realistically, I'd shoot for Zack Kassian. Not the best fighter, but a good combo of size, speed and hockey sense, and he's still young.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Apparently we need more size...
How do we do that without filling the team full of overpaid 3rd liners? (Clarkson, Clowe, Bickell etc.) In the end I think it's got to come from the top-6. Eller and Galchenyuk solve that issue for centres but our wingers need improvement IMO. Our defence isn't exactly tough either. Subban and Emelin get big hits but they aren't big or overly physical otherwise. Depending on Tinordi for that type of stuff is a bad idea, he's just too young. Perhaps we can do it through the draft? Rychel, Mantha, Mccaron, Gauthier, Morin, etc. Tough to see a loss like that.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Ryane Clowe, if he chooses to test the free agency market, won't come cheap. Not that he deserves a fat contract, but because big guys who can skate, score and scrap or a dime a dozen. He will be in high demand. I don't believe that the Habs will get him.

If I'm Montreal, I keep a close eye on Vancouver, who will be looking at making some major changes. If Kesler is on the block, I'd try to get right in there. But more realistically, I'd shoot for Zack Kassian. Not the best fighter, but a good combo of size, speed and hockey sense, and he's still young.
I don't think they could let either of those guys go without severely handicapping the team. I think it's more likely they move one of their overpaid blueliners or Lou.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I don't think they could let either of those guys go without severely handicapping the team. I think it's more likely they move one of their overpaid blueliners or Lou.
There is no doubt that they'll move Luongo, and they might move a d-man. But they will want to change some of the landscape up front in my opinion, do something rather drastic. Kesler, as mentioned, is a long, long short. Kassian is definitely a possibility.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
There is no doubt that they'll move Luongo, and they might move a d-man. But they will want to change some of the landscape up front in my opinion, do something rather drastic. Kesler, as mentioned, is a long, long short. Kassian is definitely a possibility.
There was no doubt that Lou was going to get traded last summer too, and then this year up until deadline.
Now Schneider crapped the bed yesterday. We'll see what happens in game 4. But yea, I'm not disagreeing, I don't see how they can retain Lou but I felt the same way last summer so...

As for them changing things up front, they certainly need to, but I think they might move the twins. Only one year on their contract, they're the ones that are supposed to lead this team forward, they are the core. So if Vancouver wants to change their core, they might try to move those guys. Kesler might also go, it really depends on what direction they take.
I would be interested to know what would be Kesler's price, but with Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk, I'm not sure I would bring another center into the mix.
If it's a swap between him and Plek(+), then okay, otherwise not so much.

Clarkson and Clowe are two guys I target.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Marc-E-

My targets on free agency would it be: Stahlberg, Bickell and Fistric. And I try to trade for a premium Top.3 Forward. A guy like Johan Franzen.

Last edited by Marc-E-: 05-06-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old
05-06-2013, 09:53 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
If AV gets fired, Luongo may stay and Schneider may be the one moved. The Canucks have a small window left to win, so they may hesitate to part with large pieces.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:53 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
For now on my Have to go list:

Kaberle (buyout)
Weber
Moen

For the Defense:

Emelin won't be ready so start the year

Old
05-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Draft

Quote:
He brings what Vancouver needs, their weakness is similar to ours in terms of grit and toughness. I'd honestly love to have him but I don't think their management would be looking to move him considering they traded Hodgson for him, he's still young, and he brings an element that is rare in their lineup and in the NHL.

I think I'm embracing full-scale rebuild through the draft, with 2014-2015 being a year we aim to compete for. I'm all for moving Markov and upgrading Gorges. I would prefer Plekanec wasn't moved but if it was for a big return I would do it. Kristo could be a key element in a trade as I don't see him fitting our team in the future. If we can get a PWF or any type of high end forward I'll be happy.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:19 AM
odishabs

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / David Clarkson ($4.500m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.900m) / Bryan Bickell ($2.900m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
OTHER
Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)

Old
05-06-2013, 10:25 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
My targets on free agency would it be: Stahlberg, Bickell and Fistric. And I try to trade for a premium Top.3 Forward.
Those are realistic targets that shouldn't break the bank.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / David Clarkson ($4.500m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
OTHER
Your defense is too small and soft.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Travis Moen ($1.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
OTHER
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / David Clarkson ($4.500m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Stalberg (3.0m)
Bryan Bickell ($2.900m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.900m) / Bryan McGratton ($0.70m)
Bournival (1.0m), Matteau (1.0)

DEFENSEMEN
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Bieksa (4.5m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
OTHER

Approxpayroll $62M

Trade Gionta & Diaz to NJ in a package for Matteau, Moen to Edm, DD to anywhere.
Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)[/QUOTE]

Old
05-06-2013, 10:41 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
How do we do that without filling the team full of overpaid 3rd liners? (Clarkson, Clowe, Bickell etc.) In the end I think it's got to come from the top-6. Eller and Galchenyuk solve that issue for centres but our wingers need improvement IMO. Our defence isn't exactly tough either. Subban and Emelin get big hits but they aren't big or overly physical otherwise. Depending on Tinordi for that type of stuff is a bad idea, he's just too young. Perhaps we can do it through the draft? Rychel, Mantha, Mccaron, Gauthier, Morin, etc. Tough to see a loss like that.
I don't think we need a team of goons by any extent.

I think that when you have a few players that can play and be physical, it goes a long way. We probably need a couple of more players that can do that and are hurt by not having Emelin and Eller in the lineup as they're those type of players. Also, and I've said this a million times, but we need a big, tough, crease clearing, physical defensman who can also fight. Tinordi may turn into this but he's not it at 200lbs. We need to get bigger on the back end and add soem more grit up front so that we don't have White fighting Cowen and Bou fighting Kassian and getting smoked.

By adding some additional size, we're not taking away from the skill of the smaller players we have but giving them the ability to play big. Look no further than Prust playing with Gally's to see how miuch better they play knowing he's there to have their backs.

That's what we need. I'm no GM and I'm sure Bergevin and Dudley see the same as the rest of us. I expect some off season changes and to have a lot tougher team next year. I'm willing to bet on it too.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Draft

I'm just going to speculate that we might be able to sign a 3rd and 4th liner this year. That's it. Free Agency is slim pickings and every team will be looking at the guys we're looking at. I think it's quite obvious that we can't compete for the cup at this stage in our core's development, let's make some trades and build through the draft.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:44 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Those are realistic targets that shouldn't break the bank.
Stahlberg will probably sign somewhere else for stupid Leino like $. And the Hawks will re-sign Bickell

I want us to try and get Kyle Beach, assuming we don't overpay.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Andy

We need a game breaking forward more than anything, a forward that can be relied on to consistently provide offense. Can't believe how much this team struggles at scoring goals.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
There was no doubt that Lou was going to get traded last summer too, and then this year up until deadline.
Now Schneider crapped the bed yesterday. We'll see what happens in game 4. But yea, I'm not disagreeing, I don't see how they can retain Lou but I felt the same way last summer so...

As for them changing things up front, they certainly need to, but I think they might move the twins. Only one year on their contract, they're the ones that are supposed to lead this team forward, they are the core. So if Vancouver wants to change their core, they might try to move those guys. Kesler might also go, it really depends on what direction they take.
I would be interested to know what would be Kesler's price, but with Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk, I'm not sure I would bring another center into the mix.
If it's a swap between him and Plek(+), then okay, otherwise not so much.

Clarkson and Clowe are two guys I target.
Reading some posts from the last few months here, you'd think Clowe was a useless piece of crap. I wonder if he could have helped yesterday...

Old
05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
We need a game breaking forward more than anything, a forward that can be relied on to consistently provide offense. Can't believe how much this team struggles at scoring goals.
It does seem as if all of our players are complimentary or second line players without that dangerous ability. I'd break the bank to reunite Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Top-5 offense this season says otherwise.
But yeah1 Totally! Let's get Elias! Sure will help us get farther in the playoffs!

Old
05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
windycity

Quote:
I think we need some bigger players wiliing to go to the net and otherwise create room for our more skillful guys. And more size and nastiness on D. And a more consistent goalie. We didn't have that much of a problem scoring in the regular season.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
But yeah1 Totally! Let's get Elias! Sure will help us get farther in the playoffs!
What a terrible argument. Who suggested Elias?

We score mostly by committee and it's extremely frustrating not knowing who will shoulder the offensive load. The team always relies on the hot hand which changes every other week. For once I wish we had a guy like Kane, Kopitar etc etc guys you know will just show up every playoffs and give you a chance to score every time they are in the offensive zone, players the opponents respect and actually hesitate and fear what he might do with the puck.

Our top 9 is composed entirely of complimentary players who will become red-hot at any given moment, but also become ice-cold at any given moment.

Look at how much of a difference guys like Cammalleri made.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
No skilled FA forward will come to a team that cannot protect him. First step is to create a team that can take care of business. I would have liked to have seen more line brawls yesterday. Sens top 4 fighters were stronger than our but lets see what their next tier can do. I long for old days.

Closed Thread