HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part V: The 2013 Playoffs Edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 09:47 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I now have even less respect for Rene Bourque.

05-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
The NHL left this one go last year, so if the Bourque elbow goes unpunished it won't be the first time.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:09 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Should have been 5 games.

Intent to injure. Check.
Dangerous. Check.
Head shot. Check.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:18 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Boy does Montreal ever get the benefit of the doubt on these things? That's worse than the Gryba hit (which was a clean hit). How Shanny thought there was nothing wrong with that play by Bourque is astonishing.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The NHL left this one go last year, so if the Bourque elbow goes unpunished it won't be the first time.

i LOVE watching the refs with a clear view on that one..

let me guess, no penalty ?

Old
05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Boy does Montreal ever get the benefit of the doubt on these things? That's worse than the Gryba hit (which was a clean hit). How Shanny thought there was nothing wrong with that play by Bourque is astonishing.
Not really astonishing, shanny has proven over and over he's not capable of this job.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I don't know what the process for amending the CBA is, but they really need to address it in the offseason. Use Lindros' suggestion.

05-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not sure why they didn't go with the 3 person thing that was suggested. I believe both sides presented something similar for discipline but was somehow left out of the cba

05-06-2013, 10:34 AM
healthyscratch

Basing the suspensions on extent of injury is pathetic. You should be punished more for intent, regardless of outcome. It starts with suspending Gryba on what I thought was a clean check. If you give that 2 games, then you MUST give Bourque at least 2, if not more. How do you expect to take out the head shots if you only discipline on injury? Shanahan is basically saying go ahead elbow his face, just not too hard. It's a joke of a system.

But yet Neal and Giroux get one game each last playoffs for same thing. So stupid.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:35 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Not really astonishing, shanny has proven over and over he's not capable of this job.
That should be a slam dunk of a suspension. Bourque's a repeat offender (suspended twice last year). There wasn't any other body contact except Bourque's elbow to Conacher's head. I just don't know how that doesn't fall under the headshot rule. I'm guessing his excuse for this will be because there wasn't an injury on the play.

If the NHL wants to get serious about player safety, they need fire this clown and anyone who helps him come up with these moronic decisions. Otherwise it will continue to be a circus with this idiot in charge.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Basing the suspensions on extent of injury is pathetic. You should be punished more for intent, regardless of outcome. It starts with suspending Gryba on what I thought was a clean check. If you give that 2 games, then you MUST give Bourque at least 2, if not more. How do you expect to take out the head shots if you only discipline on injury? Shanahan is basically saying go ahead elbow his face, just not too hard. It's a joke of a system.

But yet Neal and Giroux get one game each last playoffs for same thing. So stupid.
Injuries should be taken out of consideration IMO. A dirty hit is a dirty hit regardless if the opposing player is injured or not.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:40 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Watching the Neal hit makes me so steamed every time I see it.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown81592 View Post
That's complete *********.
Shanablow needs to go asap
thats why ive been saying it since last year that Shanny, needs to go.

he is simply NOT the right guy for this job.

and in fact it should not fall to 1 single guy to hand out and determine fines/bans.

get a small panel and lets get this stuff sorted.

that fact the direct elbow to the head is "legal play" makes shanny a complete and utter joke. not to mention makes the league look like a bunch of buffons

Old
05-06-2013, 10:43 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'm not sure why they didn't go with the 3 person thing that was suggested. I believe both sides presented something similar for discipline but was somehow left out of the cba
Apparently there is a panel of people who help Shanahan make the decisions but I think in the end he has the final say.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:44 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I really thought the 3 man team (ref, player, coach) would get some traction and be adopted. Keep Shanny as the player, I don't care.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:00 PM
BernieParent

In all fairness, Bourque was given a whole 2 minutes for elbowing. This also allowed him to stay in the game and collect a double minor (cross-checking and slashing) with 18 seconds left in the game.

Seriously, though, what a complete farce to not administer any necessary justice. It's embarrassing to the league. At bare minimum, fine the Habs organization for that crap. To turn a blind eye only encourages more of the same.

Who remembers last year, when many of the Penguins fans had a revelatory moment after their team became everything they claimed to despise in other clubs? There are a good number on the Canadiens sites going through the same soul searching, but those who actively applaud this are just . For full disclosure, I was (past tense) cheering for the Canadiens. I have a soft spot for my home-town club, except when they play the Flyers. Now, I'm hoping for a loss. I don't at all want to be a hypocrite, being a looooong-time supporter of a club that basically elevated hockey violence to a new level, but it's the fans of teams who claim to be such upstanding citizens who fall into the moral quandary when their beloved show they can goon it up as much as any other squad.

The difference is the Flyers win their instigated line brawls.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:25 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Watching the Neal hit makes me so steamed every time I see it.
Same here, that guy is such trash. I can't wait until the whole Pens team gets what they deserve.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:33 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Same here, that guy is such trash. I can't wait until the whole Pens team gets what they deserve.
Would that be last season when the Cup favourites were unceremoniously dumped by our own O&B in the first round?? And in which the Penguins were called out for lowbrow tactics by the wider sports media?

A small voice (of the many in my head), however, thinks that the Stanley Cup as the culmination of this lockout-shortened joke of a season would logically go to the Penguins as one more asterisked bit of glory. It would almost be a shame for a legit club like St. Louis to finally win a Cup, only to have some question its validity.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:45 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Would that be last season when the Cup favourites were unceremoniously dumped by our own O&B in the first round?? And in which the Penguins were called out for lowbrow tactics by the wider sports media?

A small voice (of the many in my head), however, thinks that the Stanley Cup as the culmination of this lockout-shortened joke of a season would logically go to the Penguins as one more asterisked bit of glory. It would almost be a shame for a legit club like St. Louis to finally win a Cup, only to have some question its validity.
I see what you're saying, but it was a shortened season for all teams. The Blues wouldn't have gotten some sort of advantage.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:50 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

im hoping Bourque gets his ass handed to him in game 4.
what a joke that no discipline at all coming from that game.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:10 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I see what you're saying, but it was a shortened season for all teams. The Blues wouldn't have gotten some sort of advantage.
I'm not saying any team got an advantage from the shortened season or schedule. Inevitably, there will be some who will see the championship as being tainted as the product of an incomplete, hybrid season.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:18 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm not saying any team got an advantage from the shortened season or schedule. Inevitably, there will be some who will see the championship as being tainted as the product of an incomplete, hybrid season.
I know I know, I agree some morons will say that, to which I will reply, "you are a moron."

Old
05-06-2013, 01:24 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
No one put an asterisk beside New Jersey's first franchise Stanley Cup in '95. No one will this year if a first time winner claims it, either.

05-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Hey guys. I hope you don't mind me popping by, Flyers are my #2 team. I just wanted to share this with yall since I saw how you guys didn't really like the Habs last night either.

Mostly I want my new best friend 4 eva, Krishna, to see this:

Old
05-06-2013, 03:31 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell on Heels View Post
Hey guys. I hope you don't mind me popping by, Flyers are my #2 team. I just wanted to share this with yall since I saw how you guys didn't really like the Habs last night either.
pretty funny actually. i didn't get to see all of the shenanigans as i was watching while at work i also didn't see any of the interviews.

Closed Thread