HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 05:56 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Yeah, there's no possible way that team name could be made fun of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
Pssst. Gordon was a VAN signing this past season.
It's unfortunate how things didn't seem to work out between the Canucks and Wolves. I still think there's an ideal balance that can be found between "winning only" and "developing only".

Old
05-04-2013, 11:50 AM
synobyte
Canucks Cultist

vCash: 500
anyone care to design a jersey for that lol

Old
05-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Buffalo In A Carwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by synobyte View Post
Thinking of some names for the team
Seattle SeaMen
Seattle Grunge
Vancouver Canadians
Vancouver Otters
Vancouver Millionaires
My vote goes to this one.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:05 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I think it'll be important to have a few guys like Ebbett on the team. We're not the Detroit Red Wings. We don't have quite a strong enough crop of prospects that they can compose an entire AHL team by themselves, or a strong AHL team at least.

I think the center position is where the Canucks are going to need some outside help. Assuming Schroeder is in the NHL permanently next year, who do the Canucks have that is top 6 center caliber at the AHL level? Lain? Fresen? Mallet? No way. We all love to complain about Ebbett but I think he's the perfect guy to keep around as a top line center in the AHL. He's proven to produce at that level.
Problem here is that the coaching staff won't, unfortunately, be able to resist the temptation to bring up Ebbett and play him full time.

Get your point and probably good one but man I like to see the last of Ebbett.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:34 AM
crazycanuck

@News1130Sports1m
Hearing the AHL is preparing for 29 team schedule - that means #Canucks thinking about leaving Peoria dormant.

I guess the Canucks can't find a town willing to work with them short term while they try and move into Abbotsford.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
@News1130Sports1m
Hearing the AHL is preparing for 29 team schedule - that means #Canucks thinking about leaving Peoria dormant.

I guess the Canucks can't find a town willing to work with them short term while they try and move into Abbotsford.
To add to this

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/s...30674986835969
Quote:
If the #Canucks don't run their own farm team next year - they would have to spread out their prospects - possibly some in Abbotsford.
I thought they said they had plenty of time to find a new home.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Bitz and Bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
To add to this

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/s...30674986835969

I thought they said they had plenty of time to find a new home.
Strange why they would'nt just keep the team they now own in Peoria instead of mothballing them for a season while they try to move them somewhere else.
I thought the reason they wanted to own the team was to have more control of their prospects development but having them scattered all over the league on rival organizations farm teams makes zero sense.
Besides,how are we going to watch our prospects when they play for several different teams.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitz and Bites View Post
Strange why they would'nt just keep the team they now own in Peoria instead of mothballing them for a season while they try to move them somewhere else.
I thought the reason they wanted to own the team was to have more control of their prospects development but having them scattered all over the league on rival organizations farm teams makes zero sense.
Besides,how are we going to watch our prospects when they play for several different teams.
thefeebster, orcatown and I will have to divide up the teams and create a schedule.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:53 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitz and Bites View Post
Bad time for this news or rumour to break, the whole organizations seems to be in shambles right now.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
thefeebster, orcatown and I will have to divide up the teams and create a schedule.
You guys are awesome.

Can't believe they'd do this though; wasn't the whole point of getting their own AHL team was to have total control over the development of our prospects?

Old
05-06-2013, 04:27 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

From what I've read about this, the Canucks are projected to lose $1.5M next season if they operated in Peoria, hence them considering spreading out their farmhands around the AHL.

Doesn't really make sense to me either if they really value prospect development like they said - next season is going to be huge for a lot of guys like Price, Cannata, Andersson, Polasek, Tommernes, Jensen, Corrado, Blomstrand, Mallet and Grenier. Very risky to just lend them all to different teams IMO as most of the aforementioned are just getting established in the league.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
The incompetence is just staggering.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
What incompetence? They bought a team late in the season and are having trouble finding a location that makes financial sense for the organization. Abbotsford inexplicably decided they would rather keep losing money which they likely didn't anticipate.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:44 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
MG doesn't exactly seem to leave a trail of new friends in his wake wherever he has dealings does he?

Old
05-06-2013, 04:59 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What incompetence? They bought a team late in the season and are having trouble finding a location that makes financial sense for the organization. Abbotsford inexplicably decided they would rather keep losing money which they likely didn't anticipate.
For starters, the fact they aren't just keeping the team in Peoria for now. Establish a base in Peoria, and use that base to establish the identity of your new farm team. Then worry about where you're going to move them in the future.

I'm by no means a business expert so I don't want to talk like a know-it-all, but could the Canucks not afford to lose the $1.5 million by keeping the team in Peoria. Hell, they're content with spending over 5 on a backup and 4+ on one defenseman who hardly gets into the lineup and one supposed powerforward who is always injured. I can't see how losing a bit of money is stopping them from keeping this new operation where it is for the time being.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:00 PM
thedavid

vCash: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
For starters, the fact they aren't just keeping the team in Peoria for now. Establish a base in Peoria, and use that base to establish the identity of your new farm team. Then worry about where you're going to move them in the future.

I'm by no means a business expert so I don't want to talk like a know-it-all, but could the Canucks not afford to lose the $1.5 million by keeping the team in Peoria. Hell, they're content with spending over 5 on a backup and 4+ on one defenseman who hardly gets into the lineup and one supposed powerforward who is always injured. I can't see how losing a bit of money is stopping them from keeping this new operation where it is for the time being.
It could be that the city of Peoria wants more than just a 1-year deal which I imagine would be a sticking point for the Canucks.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:48 PM
spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavid View Post
It could be that the city of Peoria wants more than just a 1-year deal which I imagine would be a sticking point for the Canucks.
I'm not sure if Peoria is insisting something longer than one year. As far as I know, they are just trying to get a team in here for next season to bridge the gap until they can get an ECHL team in here the following season. Everybody heare knows that if Vancouver stays, it would be temporary. Although they probably would be welcome long term.

Th $1,5 million number supposedly came from the Blues projections if Vancouver had the same lease as the Blues. Rumors around here were that the Blues were losing $400,000 per season on the Rivermen. I'm not sure where the extra $1.1 million comes from. I know travel costs between Vancouver and Peoria would be higher than getting to St Louis. The Blues did keep the team bus so Vancouver would have to arrange something there. Other than that, I don't know where the extra costs would come from.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
From what I've read about this, the Canucks are projected to lose $1.5M next season if they operated in Peoria, hence them considering spreading out their farmhands around the AHL.

Doesn't really make sense to me either if they really value prospect development like they said - next season is going to be huge for a lot of guys like Price, Cannata, Andersson, Polasek, Tommernes, Jensen, Corrado, Blomstrand, Mallet and Grenier. Very risky to just lend them all to different teams IMO as most of the aforementioned are just getting established in the league.
NOOOO? Really? They would do that over 1.5M

Thats about the amount that Ballard is over paid, or the cost of Alberts, or Ebbitt + Barker, these guys will save more then that next year with the cap going down.

Has to be more then that doesn't it?

Old
05-07-2013, 02:51 PM
roach9

Seems way too low, considering a playoff run by Peoria would easily recover those losses...

Old
05-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r View Post
Seems way too low, considering a playoff run by Peoria would easily recover those losses...
It's really hard to sell playoff tickets in the AHL. The turn-outs are very low. Just look at the Wolves, they would almost sell out regular season games due to all the various offers and allocation partnerships but during the playoffs it's a whole different ball game. They would sell 2000-3000 tickets a game, if that.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:48 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Yeah, that was the number I read in the article by Eminian. Seems hard to believe they'd be even thinking of going dormant over that sum.

I also remember the Moose didn't have great attendance numbers during the early rounds, and I think it was a Moose fan who said that was just the way it was. But they definitely had no problem filling the MTS Center to capacity during the latter part of their run to the Final.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
seems weird they wouldnt just run it out of gm place.

Old
05-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

They need to just come up with an answer to this problem asap, and having the prospects farmed out around the league is not an option IMO, with all the crap that is up in the air, just take a hit on the team for one year, they will make it if the team has at least a couple of playoff wins, they are going to take a bigger hit if they change coaches anyways. Put the team some were and move on to the real issues ffs.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Wcstripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
seems weird they wouldnt just run it out of gm place.
I heard that they would need permission from FVSC (they who run the Abby Heat) to have the Rivermen play at Rogers arena because it is still in the Heat's territory.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
synobyte
Canucks Cultist

Wasent yesterday the deadline to make a choice??

Closed Thread