HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
This.

I would do a package Columbus,Calgary or Buffalo to get multiple first rounders. And im so high this years deep draft that im ready to trade something our own to second rounders too.

Is it too much for something like Couturier+11/13 for Columbus ALL three picks (IF NYR and LA drop first round)+J.Johnson? That is just example , not really want to do that. It is just really hard to know what is the value of picks. Example, if we have two third rounders, is that fair value to trade them to earlie second rounder?

Others to trade for first/second/third rounders; Read,Talbot,Meszaros.
Like this:

Read+Talbot+Gervais to Montreal for three (34,36 and 57) second round picks.
Meszaros+3th+4th round pick to San Jose for three second round picks. (49,50 and 60)

There is Dallas (40,54 and 56) too, Anaheim (45 and 58), Buffalo (38 and 48).

Montreal have quite good picks in second round (bolded), in mock drafts there maybe are avaible many good defenders.
Two proven NHL players for picks which have about a 17% chance each (34 & 36) of playing 400 games (ie being as good as those two players, Talbot has 500, Read is a guy who barring injury will get there) and (57) one with a 13% chance of playing as many NHL games as Gervais?!

No thankyou... awful trade. Draft picks after the 1st round are overrated... 30-50 have just the same chance of being a good player as each other, almost a crapshoot after that.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:21 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
As another potential trade avenue, I wonder how much one of the early-eliminated teams may want to shake up their roster. If Vancouver wants to clear salary, ask about Edler. If Montreal wants to make some big changes, ask about Markov (1 year left). I wouldn't be willing to sell the farm for them, but I'd be sure to know exactly what the price tags are on some very good defenders.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:36 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Two proven NHL players for picks which have about a 17% chance each (34 & 36) of playing 400 games (ie being as good as those two players, Talbot has 500, Read is a guy who barring injury will get there) and (57) one with a 13% chance of playing as many NHL games as Gervais?!

No thankyou... awful trade. Draft picks after the 1st round are overrated... 30-50 have just the same chance of being a good player as each other, almost a crapshoot after that.
Agreed. Talbot himself is worth more than two 2nds. The other trade suggestion (Couturier+11/13 for Columbus ALL three picks (IF NYR and LA drop first round)+J.Johnson) is way too lopsided towards the Flyers.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:43 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post

You wouldn't trade Gervias for a 2nd? Remember the percentage stagnates depending on the strength of the draft. In a weaker draft it might be 13 but a strong draft could bring it up to 25-30. And for a 7th defender that's easily worth it. Also you don't need to use these picks to pick up players. You can package them to move up in the draft.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50

Old
05-06-2013, 12:48 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I'd trade Gervais for a 2nd no doubt.

05-06-2013, 01:04 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Don't think anyone would give up a 2nd rounder for Gervais

Old
05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Don't think anyone would give up a 2nd rounder for Gervais
Yeah me neither, but as someone said they wouldn't trade him for a 2nd, I had to counter with "YOU ARE NUTS."

Old
05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'd trade Gervais for a 2nd no doubt.
I'd trade Gervais in a second.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You wouldn't trade Gervias for a 2nd? Remember the percentage stagnates depending on the strength of the draft. In a weaker draft it might be 13 but a strong draft could bring it up to 25-30. And for a 7th defender that's easily worth it. Also you don't need to use these picks to pick up players. You can package them to move up in the draft.
Yeh, ofc I'd trade Gervais for a 2nd... just saying that the percentages of those picks being NHL players were not as good as the players in the trade... it was more about Read and Talbot being worth arguably a few 2nds each. Gervais is frankly worth not much, just a 7th Dman on the decline... I'd take a chance on getting a better player with the pick, even if stats say there is a small chance, that chance is worth more than Gervais!

I think a good way of getting more potential talent for cheap with our weak prospect pool is playing percentages in the 3rd round onwards and trading an early 3rd for multiple late 3rds, or late 3rds and early 4ths if anyone who has those picks would bite.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:17 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Gervais I would do for a second. Even if the 2nd rounder busts, a bottom pairing defenseman is not hard to replace. Talbot I have no interest in trading unless it is an overpayment. The guy is a valuable 4th liner who can play third line minutes and on special teams. I've defended Gervais in the past, and my feelings on him haven't changed regarding Gervais vs. Gustaffsson, but I certainly would trade him for a second round pick.

EDIT: Also Matt Read is definitely worth more than one second.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:51 PM
PhilaFlyers

I definitely would trade Talbot for a 2nd. Wouldn't move Read though.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:12 PM
FlyersFan61290

flyers would do gervais for a 2nd no doubt but no team in the league would give you a 2nd for him. you'd be lucky to get a 4th or even 5th for him imo cause 6/7 guys simply aren't worth much. remember huskins was traded for a conditional 7th and i know i would take huskins over gervais every day of the week. granted detroit was clearing a roster spot for DeKeyser but you'd think even in a position of weakness they could've gotten more for him.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I wouldn't want to move Talbot or Read (although he might be moved which would be more than a 2nd round pick coming back). Mez and Gervais trades, I would do but they wouldn't bring back that kind of return so it's a moot point.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I definitely would trade Talbot for a 2nd. Wouldn't move Read though.
Why would you trade Talbot? He is great in the bottom six and on special teams, and he is at a reasonable salary. There is no point in trading Talbot, even for a second, because then you have to find a guy to replace him. No one in the organization brings what Talbot brings, and there aren't too many players out there this offseason that could fill his role.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:41 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Why would you trade Talbot? He is great in the bottom six and on special teams, and he is at a reasonable salary. There is no point in trading Talbot, even for a second, because then you have to find a guy to replace him. No one in the organization brings what Talbot brings, and there aren't too many players out there this offseason that could fill his role.
I thought he was pretty average for the majority of this season, and I think this will end up being a very deep draft. I would definitely move him for a high 2nd rounder.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I thought he was pretty average for the majority of this season, and I think this will end up being a very deep draft. I would definitely move him for a high 2nd rounder.
Why, because he didn't put up 19 goals again? I thought he was pretty good defensively for us this season for the most part and started getting the offense going right around the time of his injury. I wouldn't trade him for a draft pick that might play for us 3-4 years down the road.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Why, because he didn't put up 19 goals again? I thought he was pretty good defensively for us this season for the most part and started getting the offense going right around the time of his injury. I wouldn't trade him for a draft pick that might play for us 3-4 years down the road.
Exactly. Unless you're tanking, that's not a trade you make.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Talbot is not there to light up the stat sheet. He is a role player, and one of the better ones in the league. You lose a lot of stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet if you lose Talbot. Now, if there is a guy you had in mind to replace him, that may be a different story. This is the same deal with the people saying to trade Coburn. He's not a great defenseman. He didn't have a great year. But there will be a huge hole in the lineup without him there. If there is a replacement for him, then you can talk about trading him. But otherwise you don't trade players like Coburn and Talbot unless you are 100% fully committed to a rebuild. At which point you try to trade pretty much everyone not named G, Schenn, Couturier, Voracek, SImmonds, or Read.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Krishna

Kerby Rychel is playing here

Old
05-06-2013, 05:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Kerby Rychel is playing here
Forward Justin Bailey from Kitchener too. He could be a second round target possibly.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Max Domi continues to play well in the OHL Playoffs. Does anybody here think he could possibly go in the top 10 if continues his great play?

16GP 10G 16A 26PTS

Old
05-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Krishna

He definitely could, but a lot of teams may be scared of his size

Old
05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
He definitely could, but a lot of teams may be scared of his size
He's listed at 5'10" 195 lbs on the OHL's website. I honestly thought he was smaller than that the way people talk about his size. Drouin's listed at 5'11" 176 lbs as a comparison.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Krishna

he definitely seems a lot smaller than that

Closed Thread