HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Scorekeeper's taking/shaving time off clock in beer league

Old
05-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Shwag33

vCash: 500
No score keepers in our leagues in pittsburgh. Refs do it.

Running clock, if teams arent ready to faceoff at the 20 minute mark, the clock is rolling.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
No score keepers in our leagues in pittsburgh. Refs do it.

Running clock, if teams arent ready to faceoff at the 20 minute mark, the clock is rolling.
Sometimes we get that too. Better yet is once in a while the scorekeeper is also playing in the game. He'll jump into the keeper's box between shifts and toss stats into the computer

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Makes me feel really fortunate that the leagues in the Chicago area aren't bush league like that.... Some of these stories are ridiculous....

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:43 PM
DustersAnonymous
Let the Larsson Play

Update: My car was in the shop the other day so my girlfriend had to drive to the rink and insisted on sticking around to watch, while my shots were lacking, luckily I was still able put up 3 assists looking like Adam Oates in his prime.. but back on topic, I had her watch the clock for me and came over to the boards by the bleachers to check with her at a stoppage and I made sure the scorekeeper saw/heard me do it. At that time he had already shaved off close to 3 minutes. The rest of the game he barely touched the clock if at all. The heat is on.

DustersAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:54 PM
theMajor

there are no stoppages in the first two periods, the score/timekeeper only stops the clock in the 3rd

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMajor View Post
there are no stoppages in the first two periods, the score/timekeeper only stops the clock in the 3rd
That's different (and typical of beer leagues).

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 04:32 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
Wait, in that area, games are only 50 minutes to boot? Yeah, you should be should be sending invoices to the office for the percentage of ice time you paid for but didn't get. Where I've played, they've always blocked out 1.5 hours for each game- 15 minutes for the Zamboni, and then time for warmup and 3 20 minute periods, as well as a little cushion for games going into overtime and whatnot. If games are running late, they run late, and nobody has a problem with it. If things run really late, players usually grab a beer from the cooler and watch the previous game. Refs don't start ignoring the rules just go get things running faster, they continue to call a fair game.
And there's the source of the problem.

A rink that has 60-minute blocks (including resurfacing AND warmups) for each game is cramming their schedule too tightly. Not only are they failing to give adequate time for each event, but they're leaving no margin of error for delays. So, like a bunch of drivers who are failing to give each other a bit of following distance, a delay in your game causes a pileup that affects every event scheduled behind it. In a 90-minute block that's not a big deal, but in a 60-minute block it's a catastrophe.

Like everyone has said, clearly the issue needs to be taken to rink management. But, I wouldn't expect them to solve the problem. They're the ones creating the problem. It'll take significant pushback from the players in your league in order to make a change. Ultimately you probably need the captains in your league to co-sign a statement that time-shaving is unacceptable. With the understanding, of course, that everyone is willing to walk away from that rink if nothing changes.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote