HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2013, 12:11 AM
  #576
Leaf Forever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
I have reviewed the 5 renovation parts dating back to 2008 and the common theme is to restore capacity using the bridges to 18200. However the seating for the bridges varies from 400 to 1000 in total. It was noted that the Rangers do not include the ice level suites in their attendance and that might account for the 360 difference between the NBA and NHL reductions from 2012 figures. So NBA remains at 19033 but NHL maybe 17560 instead of 17200. So the bridges should hold 640 in total. As for standing room others noted building codes but nothing specific yet MSG III had NHL 15125 + 800 Standing room for a total of 15925 up to 1968 and they allowed smoking so what gives?

Leaf Forever is offline  
Old
04-17-2013, 08:43 AM
  #577
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,711
vCash: 50
There's also going to be seating on the budweiser deck like the west balcony

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
  #578
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Well today I enjoyed my last game at the Garden sitting in the upper sections before the ridiculous sky bridges are constructed for next season....

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 09:00 PM
  #579
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 500
does anyone have more pictures of the views with the bridges? preferably in the center ice 200 sections?

azaloum90 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:18 AM
  #580
Realize
Registered User
 
Realize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany / Aachen
Country: Germany
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
I'd like to see which new scoreboard will be mounted up there

Realize is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:30 AM
  #581
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,711
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realize View Post
I'd like to see which new scoreboard will be mounted up there
I would expect a big press release & newsletter campaign to announce and flaunt it once it's all finalized

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:58 AM
  #582
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realize View Post
I'd like to see which new scoreboard will be mounted up there
You can expect it to be made by Daktronics. There are plenty of photos on their website.

Megustaelhockey is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:00 PM
  #583
Dangleberry
Registered User
 
Dangleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
You can expect it to be made by Daktronics. There are plenty of photos on their website.
I used to own stock in that company, looks like I chose the wrong time to sell.

Dangleberry is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:24 PM
  #584
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,832
vCash: 50
Can we donate the old one to the mausoleum. Theirs sucks

__________________
Tanner Glass is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 01:18 PM
  #585
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
Can we donate the old one to the mausoleum. Theirs sucks
and then move it to Barclays? :p

azaloum90 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 03:53 PM
  #586
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realize View Post
I'd like to see which new scoreboard will be mounted up there
So will everyone past row 15 on the 2nd level once those new bridges are installed! LOL!

bubba5 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:56 AM
  #587
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,711
vCash: 50
This playoff push by the Knicks and potentially the Rangers is going to crunch the renovation timeline like crazy. There's major structural work scheduled for this summer at the garden. They're supposed to demo the whole floor and put in a new slab and ice plant, they're suspending two bridges from the roof along the sidelines, and they're building a new deck on the East end. I don't see how we can avoid the Rangers starting on the road in '13-14 for like 2-3 weeks and the Knicks cancelling all the garden pre-season games

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:08 AM
  #588
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,427
vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
This playoff push by the Knicks and potentially the Rangers is going to crunch the renovation timeline like crazy. There's major structural work scheduled for this summer at the garden. They're supposed to demo the whole floor and put in a new slab and ice plant, they're suspending two bridges from the roof along the sidelines, and they're building a new deck on the East end. I don't see how we can avoid the Rangers starting on the road in '13-14 for like 2-3 weeks and the Knicks cancelling all the garden pre-season games
No it won't. They assumed the Rangers and Knicks would be in the SCF/Finals every year, just so they could have it all planned out for three years.

I have no link to confirm this, but this is the only thing that would make sense.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is online now  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:43 AM
  #589
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
No it won't. They assumed the Rangers and Knicks would be in the SCF/Finals every year, just so they could have it all planned out for three years.

I have no link to confirm this, but this is the only thing that would make sense.
Yup, their construction schedule is based upon the assumption they won't be able to begin until after the final possible playoff date. If they can start earlier then they are in even better shape.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:45 AM
  #590
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yup, their construction schedule is based upon the assumption they won't be able to begin until after the final possible playoff date. If they can start earlier then they are in even better shape.
That is what I have read as well.....

nyrmetros is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:52 AM
  #591
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yup, their construction schedule is based upon the assumption they won't be able to begin until after the final possible playoff date. If they can start earlier then they are in even better shape.
not planning for this would be pure folly... lol

azaloum90 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 11:13 AM
  #592
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,711
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
No it won't. They assumed the Rangers and Knicks would be in the SCF/Finals every year, just so they could have it all planned out for three years.

I have no link to confirm this, but this is the only thing that would make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yup, their construction schedule is based upon the assumption they won't be able to begin until after the final possible playoff date. If they can start earlier then they are in even better shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
That is what I have read as well.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
not planning for this would be pure folly... lol
That would make all 4 of you incorrect

The Knicks were supposed to have pre-season games this year, they had to cancel them mid summer and issue everyone refunds for all three games (that cost MSG about 8 million dollars in revenue) because they needed the time to finish due to the late ECF showing by the Rangers

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
  #593
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
That would make all 4 of you incorrect

The Knicks were supposed to have pre-season games this year, they had to cancel them mid summer and issue everyone refunds for all three games (that cost MSG about 8 million dollars in revenue) because they needed the time to finish due to the late ECF showing by the Rangers
In God we trust; all others bring data. Got a link?

Megustaelhockey is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:07 PM
  #594
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
In God we trust; all others bring data. Got a link?
I believe Gordon is a knick season ticket holder.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:24 PM
  #595
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,711
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
In God we trust; all others bring data. Got a link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I believe Gordon is a knick season ticket holder.
Yes, I'm a Knicks STH too. I think they had every intention of finishing phase II with enough time for the Knicks pre-season, but they didn't have enough time. Here's the email they sent on 8/16/2012:




http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicks...#axzz2RsG1nSv3
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/sp...-the-road.html

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 11:04 AM
  #596
islandxtreme26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
There was no delay caused by the construction last summer and any indication or insinuation to the contrary is purely speculation and is false. Additionally, it is an insult to the 800 daytime and 500 overnight workers who have worked 12 hour shifts for the last two summers as well as the countless designers, inspectors, engineers, and other staff that I have worked with. It may be a dream project for many of these guys, and some outsiders may be of the mindset that "that's their problem, they're on a once in a lifetime job, how dare they complain, blah blah blah." However, it was and is still manual labor for these guys and most of them worked 12 hour shifts for five months last summer in a hot and muggy building with no air conditioning. Two summers in a row, over $400 million in work was completed - by comparison, another one project of mine that is starting up on Long Island is a $410 million job with a 41-month schedule. People need to keep in mind exactly how much work these guys accomplished in a severely truncated timeframe and there were absolutely NO delays to the building opening that were caused by the construction itself.

Based on the building availability schedule that we were given by MSGP last summer, we were given until the last week of October to complete work....and we did. As far back as March of last year, there were contingencies for completing the necessary work had either the Rangers or Knicks taken their season into late-June of 2012. If that had been the case, additional manpower and other minor adjustments to phasing would have been come into play in order to finish on time. There was never any indication that any events would be held prior to the Knicks and Rangers openers on 11/1/12 and 11/2/12. If there were preseason games that had to be cancelled or moved, it was a mistake on the part of the league and the Knicks, not Turner or any of the contractors. Also bear in mind that despite the damage, tragedy, traffic, and cost of Hurricane Sandy on 10/29-10/30/12, numerous workers still found a way to get into the Garden on 11/1 and 11/2 to complete any necessary punchlist work prior to tipoff of the Knicks-Heat season opener.

On a separate note, I will be back at MSG periodically this summer as well for the final phase....more so once we begin steel. As with last offseason, I will provide more pictures as I can.

islandxtreme26 is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 11:18 AM
  #597
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,711
vCash: 50
Not sure where you're getting that any of the worker's work ethic was being questioned. I have no doubt these guys are killing themselves to get the work done in long and grueling shifts.

What I can tell you with 100% certainty is that the Knicks (aka a subsidiary of MSG aka the owners of the garden) billed everyone for 44 games including 3 preseason and reversed course in August.

No explanation was given, but it's not exactly a leap of faith to assume that it was renovation related. That says nothing about how hard the guys are working.

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 01:16 PM
  #598
islandxtreme26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Not sure where you're getting that any of the worker's work ethic was being questioned. I have no doubt these guys are killing themselves to get the work done in long and grueling shifts.

What I can tell you with 100% certainty is that the Knicks (aka a subsidiary of MSG aka the owners of the garden) billed everyone for 44 games including 3 preseason and reversed course in August.

No explanation was given, but it's not exactly a leap of faith to assume that it was renovation related. That says nothing about how hard the guys are working.
A question of how hard the guys have worked comes into play when people state that the delay was renovation related.

Again, as I said, there was never any plan presented by MSGH that had construction finishing prior to the regular season openers. And as I also stated, if the team billed STH's for the three preseason games, that was a mistake on their part and had nothing to do with any delays in construction.

islandxtreme26 is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 01:26 PM
  #599
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,711
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandxtreme26 View Post
A question of how hard the guys have worked comes into play when people state that the delay was renovation related.
Absolutely not. Random example, a crew needs to bolt/weld new beams to an existing column and after they open up the wall it turns out the column is different than on the blueprints and they have to re-engineer the new design. Or a shipment of materials is delayed because the factory in China mixed up the order or the ship got held up at port. The list could go on and on, none of which would be "the guys aren't working hard enough"

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandxtreme26 View Post
Again, as I said, there was never any plan presented by MSGH that had construction finishing prior to the regular season openers. And as I also stated, if the team billed STH's for the three preseason games, that was a mistake on their part and had nothing to do with any delays in construction.
That's no small mistake ($8 million+ in gate receipts), I just don't buy it. Someone somewhere at MSG messed up the construction rollout schedule or something came up during the construction. They needed more time and had to push the schedule. Even the season following phase I had Knicks pre-season games scheduled (which ended up not being played because of the lockout)

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 02:08 PM
  #600
islandxtreme26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
That's no small mistake ($8 million+ in gate receipts), I just don't buy it. Someone somewhere at MSG messed up the construction rollout schedule or something came up during the construction. They needed more time and had to push the schedule. Even the season following phase I had Knicks pre-season games scheduled (which ended up not being played because of the lockout)
Nothing came up during construction and the schedule was not "pushed". During the first week of June, we were given a final drop dead date of October 26th. Only punchlist items remained to be completed on the morning of 11/2.

islandxtreme26 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.