HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2013 Draft Thread (Part 3) #8, 16, 38, 52, 69, 129, 130, 140, 159, 189

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 09:34 PM

vCash: 500

Old
05-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Morrissey leads the charge:
Quote:
Josh Morrissey (D, 2013), Prince Albert

Puck-moving d-man has made an impression in his draft year .. very good skater with a good push-off two-step quickness .. his first pass is usually on the money, tape-to-tape .. improved his strength, which helps with defensive body position when protecting the puck from opposing forwards, this enables him to take the advantage when moving the puck out of his own zone .. works hard and likes jump into the play on offensive rushes and adds a scoring threat element .. defensively, his gap- space control and judgement could be improved as he sometimes will get caught out of position .. his shot needs work, but he takes his time to look for the shooting lanes, but needs more control and greater velocity .. delivers good body checks, and will pay the price to make a play, including blocking shots .. his back skating and pivot turns are fluid .. sees the ice well, and reads plays with good vision and hockey sense .. he plays in all key situations, including the power-play and penalty kill units .. talented enough to be considered to go in the first round of this year’s draft.
In short, he has an offensive defenseman tool-set, but is in need of some fine-tuning defensively.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:13 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
He's a fantastic goal scorer:

Old
05-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I agree.

Even moving up at last year's draft to snag Z. Girgensons was a surprise. It was a departure form the old Darcy pre-Pegula.
Eh, Darcy's identified and been willing to move pieces to get up in the draft. He did it with Paille and with Myers prior to the Girgensons deal. He's moved up, and traditionally in the area where teams move up -- outside the top 10.

05-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Sabresfansince1980

If Regier moves up, I hope he uses 2nd rd picks or later and/or a roster player like Stafford to do it. I really don't see the use of trading both #8 and #16 when there will be quality players at least up to #20 or so. OTOH, Regier might want to figure out a way to get the best player possible (probably at #5) as a way to prove to Vanek that the re-build will be a short one, so he (and maybe Miller) re-signs. I just hope using both 1sts isn't the way to make that happen.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Carolina needs a d-man and Buffalo might want to move up (for Monahan?). What seems to be a more plausible trade scenario with Carolina?

1. Myers and #38 for #5?
2. Myers and #16 for #5 (and something else?)
3. #8 and #38 for #5?
4. #8 and #16 for #5?

Do you switch out Myers for another d-man or does Carolina say no to the whole d-corps?

Old
05-06-2013, 09:02 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Carolina needs a d-man and Buffalo might want to move up (for Monahan?). What seems to be a more plausible trade scenario with Carolina?

1. Myers and #38 for #5?
3. #8 and #38 for #5?
4. #8 and #16 for #5?

Do you switch out Myers for another d-man or does Carolina say no to the whole d-corps?

I'm all for moving up, but those first two and the last are insane. If you are moving Myers+, you had better get into the top 3.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post

1. Myers and #38 for #5?
3. #8 and #38 for #5?
4. #8 and #16 for #5?

I think some have posted that Rutherford has stated that he is not trading his pick.

Regardless, it seems like there is pressure to win now (or at least that is their direction - trade for Staal, signing Semin). So your following points makes sense for them:

1. trading for an established Dman
2. our 8th pick (they can still pick up a good defenseman here and another asset)

Old
05-06-2013, 09:55 AM
wunderpanda
Bandwagon Habs Fan

Nichushkin signed a new 2 year contract with Dynamo Moscow, he could fall pretty far in the draft now. So who are the NHL ready scoring wingers that will be around at 8? Needed a winger when we had Pomer, will need three if we trade Vanek :|

Old
05-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
Nichushkin signed a new 2 year contract with Dynamo Moscow, he could fall pretty far in the draft now. So who are the NHL ready scoring wingers that will be around at 8? Needed a winger when we had Pomer, will need three if we trade Vanek :|
Wasn't he already signed for the next 2 years? Are you saying he's extended it out to 4 years?

Old
05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
wunderpanda
Bandwagon Habs Fan

Dynamo bought his contract for $10 million, which voided his deal. KHL rules are different, so he had to sign a new contract with Dynamo under the same terms. The KHL signing thread has the story linked.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:14 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

He wouldn't have to be signed for two years anyways, although the obvious questions of whether he would sign another contract in the KHL.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:15 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I think some have posted that Rutherford has stated that he is not trading his pick.

Regardless, it seems like there is pressure to win now (or at least that is their direction - trade for Staal, signing Semin). So your following points makes sense for them:

2. our 8th pick (they can still pick up a good defenseman here and another asset)
What "good" defnesemen do we have whose value you'd peg only as 3 spots in the draft?

Old
05-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:

I thought I read that Poile won't move #4, Feaster won't move #6 unless he's moving up, and that maybe Rutherford would move down because a top d-man prospect would still be available around #8-#12. I think what I read about Carolina has just been speculation though, except the part abut wanting to improve the defense (by draft or trade/UFA).

Aside from Carolina (who still hasn't ever completed a trade with Buffalo as the Whalers or Canes) I don't see how Buffalo could move up without a losing deal.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post

I'm all for moving up, but those first two and the last are insane. If you are moving Myers+, you had better get into the top 3.
Those first two options were for #5 and keeping #8, with the second option being if Carolina added from their end. I agree about the 4th option. I don't want to do that but I wondered what others thought.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:59 AM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I would much rather we make the 4 picks then give up a 2nd to move 16 up..their are plenty of solid options at 16 who will be available. I would hate if we gave up a 2nd to move 16 to 12ish.
What if you looked at it from another angle, would you trade 16 and leopolds rights for 12?

Old
05-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
What "good" defnesemen do we have whose value you'd peg only as 3 spots in the draft?
Sorry, how I wrote it doesn't make it clear.

I meant it makes sense for the Canes (not necessarily for the Sabres).

Old
05-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Girgenburger

If they're not going to use #16 to move up, then they should acquire some proven talent with it.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
"Transform Bad to Ekblad". Time for a t-shirt I think.

So thoughts on Taylor Cammarata in middle rounds? I'm sure someone's brought him up, probably why his name is stuck in my mind. At this point, size-bias is against him, but for a team needing all sorts of options and likely about a year away (or less) from kicking one of it's last midgets to the curb *cough*Gerbe *cough*, do they look at him if he's around at 55? 69? 94 (hockey gods willing)?

Old
05-06-2013, 11:48 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
If they're not going to use #16 to move up, then they should acquire some proven talent with it.
What' wrong with just making the pick? It's a deep draft, and there are a lot of prospects I'd be excited about getting there. There are some projects with huge upside, there are some big, high character guys. If we want to move picks for players, we have a extra 2nds this and next year that we could package up (maybe along with a player or prospect) to get it done.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
What' wrong with just making the pick? It's a deep draft, and there are a lot of prospects I'd be excited about getting there. There are some projects with huge upside, there are some big, high character guys. If we want to move picks for players, we have a extra 2nds this and next year that we could package up (maybe along with a player or prospect) to get it done.
Agreed. Take the picks. It's a deep draft, there are some talking about the quality extending even into the second round. Take the picks. Make the picks.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:47 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
If you really thought anything else would happen, I have a bridge to sell you.

Also, you don't draft to fill your current roster, this isn't the NFL.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:10 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
If you really thought anything else would happen, I have a bridge to sell you.

Also, you don't draft to fill your current roster, this isn't the NFL.
We lack scoring wingers in our prospect pool outside of Armia, so NHL ready or not, the point remains that we need more talented wingers.

Personally, I hate the idea of Shinkaruk at 8. To think that the reward for putting up with this season will be Hunter Shinkaruk makes me a little depressed. Not that he's a bad player, but I doubt he's a game changer.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Djp

If the forwards arent there I wouldnt mind trading down.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
We lack scoring wingers in our prospect pool outside of Armia, so NHL ready or not, the point remains that we need more talented wingers.
They need more talent, period. The also don't have much applied size, are weak in finishers, and have a relative lack of speed throughout their prospect pool.

But the point remains, this team should not be concerning itself with drafting for immediate need, especially that early in a quality draft class.

Closed Thread