HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

General Predators Talk Part III

View Poll Results: Will we see any games for the 12-13 season?
Yes 12 32.43%
Nope 8 21.62%
Partial season 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 03:11 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Can't really compare him with offensive wingers like Semin, Ovechkin, Radulov and no he doesn't have their offensive ability and not many centers in the league have Stamkos ability, not many players period have that ability.

I do think though if he had more focus on offensive development early on he could have been closer to a Patrick Marleau and if you check Marleau's stats prior to Thornton's arrival they're pretty similar to Legwand's. Thornton made Cheechoo look like an offensive genius though.
Thornton's is this generations best setup man, so yes anyone will benefit from playing with him.

I think Legwand's numbers would be slightly better in a more offensive system, but in our system right now, he's better served playing a true 2-way game. He's better at that.

And he's BEST served when he plays with intensity in his game-- like he did once he was paired with Beck/Hornqvist. He's so ineffective when he plays on the perimeter in the offensive zone. He just doesn't have the skills. He needs to take a page from Beck/Hornqvist and crash the net and get the ugly goals-- and that's what he started to do at the end of last season.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Thornton's is this generations best setup man, so yes anyone will benefit from playing with him.

I think Legwand's numbers would be slightly better in a more offensive system, but in our system right now, he's better served playing a true 2-way game. He's better at that.

And he's BEST served when he plays with intensity in his game-- like he did once he was paired with Beck/Hornqvist. He's so ineffective when he plays on the perimeter in the offensive zone. He just doesn't have the skills. He needs to take a page from Beck/Hornqvist and crash the net and get the ugly goals-- and that's what he started to do at the end of last season.
Fully agree.

I don't think he has a goal scorers touch at all though, he's going to have to continue to drive to the net to produce. I really like him on a line with players like that so if forces him to play that type of game.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:37 PM
token grinder

anyone ever stop to think that Trotz kept Legwand from becoming Rico Fata? As in, coached him up, rather than this ridiculous notion that he holds guys back? Just a thought

Old
05-01-2013, 03:41 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
anyone ever stop to think that Trotz kept Legwand from becoming Rico Fata? As in, coached him up, rather than this ridiculous notion that he holds guys back? Just a thought
I think that's been dulzhok's point.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's a question for all the stat heads out there.

Do you think Trotz will ever ride any forward like a first liner as far as TOI goes?

Even this injury riddled season, Legwand our only healthy vet centerman ranked 80th in TOI/g for forwards.

Even in 06/07 Kariya only averaged 20:22 per game - almost 4 minutes less per game than the leader that season.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:01 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Here's a question for all the stat heads out there.

Do you think Trotz will ever ride any forward like a first liner as far as TOI goes?

Even this injury riddled season, Legwand our only healthy vet centerman ranked 80th in TOI/g for forwards.

Even in 06/07 Kariya only averaged 20:22 per game - almost 4 minutes less per game than the leader that season.
If we have someone talented enough. Kariya was good while here, but keep in mind he had a horrible year with Colorado previously and went on to do very little with St Louis. He was in his twilight years.

And much will depend on how much depth we have. That year, we had guys like Sullivan, Walker, Arnott, Dumont, Hartnell, Radulov-- by far the most depth we've ever had.

See how much time he gave Suter/Weber. If we get the equivalent forward(s), I would say the possibility exists.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Way too man damn excuses are being made on this forum lately. Even been trying to hold back but it's time to voice some opinions.

1. At no point this year did we look in sync or look like a playoff team. We were insanely lucky to have picked up so many OT points early in the year. That is a straw man and joke to try to say we were a playoff team at the start of the year. Absolute joke.

2. I actually support Trotz calling Smith and SK out. They flat out sucked, especially SK. For all we know, They talked back to No Neck or did something stupid or got too big for their britches. Trotz rarely singles out players. Everyone on our team had a piss poor year (with a few exceptions)but those guys were really bad.

3. Blame Poile. He didnt fill obvious holes in the line up. Top 4 D man and top 6 forward. I know Suter screwed us over and I know the obvious "well who was he going sign and if no one wanted to come blah blah" the truth of the matter it's pooled GD job to build a competitive team. Yeah injuries hurt, but if we were going into sell mode why weren't over paid, valuable playoff pieces like Goose and Gill moved? Sorry these guys really are a dime a dozen.

4. Trotz had his worst coaching year ever. The decisions he made night in and night out baffled me.

5. We are not a playoff team. We are no longer one or two pieces away. Listen to what Poile trotz and others have said. We need to reinvent ourselves. This takes time. Get ready to not be a great team next year.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:07 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Totally disagree. Find a 2nd pairing defenseman and 2 more forwards and we'll be fine.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Totally disagree. Find a 2nd pairing defenseman and 2 more forwards and we'll be fine.
Those don't grow on trees. And not only do we need a second pairing d man, we need a left handed puck mover that a team is willing to part with or we have to overpay in free agency. Blum and Ellis are expendable. Gill is expendable.

Forwards is a bit different. Drafting Barkov may help, but right now we have too many redundant pieces upfront. We need to completely rebuild our forwards with Wilson, Hornqvist, Forseberg, legwand Fisher, Borque being the core. Everyone else is expendable. It isn't a matter of adding a forward, we need a number one center and a top six finisher. Again, you aren't going to find those easily as drafting them is the easiest way to get them.

As we have seen in Pitt, Wash, and Chicago doing poorly for a couple seasons may help you in the long run. Don't force this. Let it happen. Give the keys to the young guys and ride it out.

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 05-01-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 09:51 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Way too man damn excuses are being made on this forum lately. Even been trying to hold back but it's time to voice some opinions.

1. At no point this year did we look in sync or look like a playoff team. We were insanely lucky to have picked up so many OT points early in the year. That is a straw man and joke to try to say we were a playoff team at the start of the year. Absolute joke.

2. I actually support Trotz calling Smith and SK out. They flat out sucked, especially SK. For all we know, They talked back to No Neck or did something stupid or got too big for their britches. Trotz rarely singles out players. Everyone on our team had a piss poor year (with a few exceptions)but those guys were really bad.

3. Blame Poile. He didnt fill obvious holes in the line up. Top 4 D man and top 6 forward. I know Suter screwed us over and I know the obvious "well who was he going sign and if no one wanted to come blah blah" the truth of the matter it's pooled GD job to build a competitive team. Yeah injuries hurt, but if we were going into sell mode why weren't over paid, valuable playoff pieces like Goose and Gill moved? Sorry these guys really are a dime a dozen.

4. Trotz had his worst coaching year ever. The decisions he made night in and night out baffled me.

5. We are not a playoff team. We are no longer one or two pieces away. Listen to what Poile trotz and others have said. We need to reinvent ourselves. This takes time. Get ready to not be a great team next year.
I don't think things are nearly as bleak as you do. You casually mention the injuries as if they weren't that big a deal- they were a HUGE deal and the #1 reason why the season went so wrong. And maybe the biggest one was one we really didn't even know about- Rinne played hurt all season.

Look, I'm not saying we are ready to contend for a Cup anytime soon, but its my opinion that things aren't nearly as bad as you, and some others, think.

I keep going back to this, but it is a fact- we were very much in the playoff race, even IN the playoffs, before the injuries started happening. And even with all the injuries, the Rinne issue, and everything else that went against us, we really didn't fall completely out of the race until the final 3 weeks.

I may be delusional and have my Preds colored glasses on, but I truly believe that had we had a healthy year, and a healthy Rinne, we would have at the very least been in the mix competing for the 6-8 seed.

I also believe that if we have a healthy Rinne for a full year and Poile makes the necessary moves to add a couple of veteran players, we will absolutely be back in the playoff mix competing for a 5-8 seed. And the next two years after that, when Forsberg and Barkov begin coming into their own, look even brighter......

Old
05-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I think we can and will compete for a playoff spot next year, but we won't really be contenders for 3-4 years. God, our future is bright though.

Old
05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Since there have been about 5 Weber proposals on the main board in the last week, I am going to draft a response to post on all of them, rather than arguing with them each time. Feel free to add whatever you feel is necessary as a "fixed" type post....

Weber. Will. Not. Be. Traded.

Let's look at some reasons why people assume we're looking to deal him.

1. "Bankrupt little Nashville can't afford it!" If we couldn't have afforded the offer sheet, we would never have matched it. Poile had a week to talk with ownership about this exact issue, and chose to stick to his guns and keep Weber. On top of that, we've already laid down 14 million on him, and by the time it is legal to trade him, we will have paid 27 million dollars for a single year of Weber. With that much of the deal already paid for, why would we deal him once his cap hit starts being more than his actual salary? With so much money already paid, the Weber deal will be great for us down the road.

2. "If you're rebuilding, Weber probably wants out!" Why don't we ask Weber?

http://smashville247.net/index.php/2...nashville.html

Quote:
So when he was asked that question, Weber said without hesitation, “For sure, yeah. Definitely. I’m committed to everything here – the team, coaching staff and my teammates. I’m committed to being better for them next year and getting back to the postseason.”

By the time he was done speaking to the media, Weber left no doubt that he is fully committed to the Predators.

“I know that I’m going to be here and I’m excited about that. Obviously the direction we’re headed in with the young guys and guys coming back next year, it’s going to be a lot of fun,” he said.

The summer of 2011 featured arbitration between Weber and the Predators; last July was the offer sheet ordeal with Philadelphia when Weber signed a 14-year, $110 million contract that was matched by the Predators. So this summer will be the first off-season since 2010 without any contract distractions for Weber.

“I think we have 14 years of that not to worry about,” he said with a smile. “It’s finally something to not have to stress about, so that’s nice.”
3. "Maybe Poile wants to trade him to jump-start a rebuild!" First off, we aren't doing a full out rebuild. Secondly, from the same article...

Quote:
Predators GM David Poile also said adamantly that he has no plans of trading the face of the franchise.

“I’m not trading Shea,” he said.
If Weber ever is traded, it would take a return that was the largest in the history of the NHL. He is the face of our franchise, one of the best players in the world, and a guy we have shelled out huge sums of money to. Weber is here to stay.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 05-03-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old
05-04-2013, 02:52 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Since there have been about 5 Weber proposals on the main board in the last week, I am going to draft a response to post on all of them, rather than arguing with them each time. Feel free to add whatever you feel is necessary as a "fixed" type post....

Weber. Will. Not. Be. Traded.
Just read some, wow. People keep insisting on throwing in their 2013 1st round pick as part of the deal. Why can't they comprehend that Weber (it's only ONE b) can't be traded for one calendar year from signing the offer sheet and that falls after this years draft, so if they are so insistent on giving us this pick they would be trading a player they just drafted!

Old
05-06-2013, 09:27 AM
token grinder

While true, Weber can not be traded until a year is up, a deal can be struck where a team sends a first on the cheap to Nashville and the trade can be agreed to, just not formally. Now, saying that, it is very risky and stupid and any GM that would do that should be fired. But there are ways around everything.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Wolfy

Defenseman Tollefsen is en route to Nashville, he was just suspended a game in the World Championships for smoking a player. Just the kind of grit the Preds need on the blueline

Old
05-06-2013, 11:32 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think grit is a problem on our blueline, I think speed and defensive zone positioning were our biggest weakness outside of the top 3.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:41 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok does PTK play PP or PK or will he be a classic TOI water?

Old
05-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Defenseman Tollefsen is en route to Nashville, he was just suspended a game in the World Championships for smoking a player. Just the kind of grit the Preds need on the blueline
If we are counting on anything from Tollefsen to help fix this yeam we have failed already. He may not even have made the team out of camp this season. Hopefully they look for someone a little more proven to help our blueline out.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If OKT is willing to play in the AHL, he's nice depth to have. Seems like a decent replacement if/when we trade Gill. Still, I don't think I want him in our healthy top 6.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll wait until I see him in this system before I comment.

I'm not sold on this one yet.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:35 PM
glenngineer

If he can add some grit, size and play the PK effectively, I'm good with it. If he stands up for this teammates and is a third pairing guy, I think that's exactly what we need back there.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
The folks over on the Avs boards are talking about Josi+ #4 for #1.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:38 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
LOL. Not going to happen. Josi may end up being better than Jones in the long run.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:45 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
That's funny; they sending ROR along with that #1?

Old
05-06-2013, 03:06 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Why would we do that?

Closed Thread