HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

WCQF // Game 4 // 9PM CT // St. Louis Blues @ LA Kings

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 02:55 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
I think Hitch should role with something like...

Schwartz Backes Tarasenko
Steen Berglund Stewart
Perron McDonald Oshie
Porter Sobotka Reaves

That's just me though.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:59 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

vCash: 500
Why even bring him in if you're going to use him the wrong way?

So if step one of our impending doom was breaking up the 4th line, step 2 will be sticking Tank on the 4th line and giving him limited minutes and no powerplay time. Which is likely what's going to happen.

2-2 series. Prove me wrong.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Order of operations is probably:

Does Tarasenko look like he has jump? If so, he's on the PP over McDonald and moving into one of the top three lines. I'm either demoting Stewart or Sobotka to the 4th if Tarasenko looks good. Whichever of the two looks worse goes on the 4th. McDonald would just be useless on the 4th but his punishment is loss of PP time.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:10 PM
BleedBlue247

Tarasenko in for Cracknell? I can't believe I'm saying this but...I don't like it. Would have much preferred to sit Stewart.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Twisted Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post

Steen Berglund Stewart
Perron McDonald Oshie
Porter Sobotka Reaves

That's just me though.
Perron and Tank had some success earlier, why not put Oshie on 1 and Tank on 3?

Old
05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
BleedBlue247

Quote:

Steen Berglund Stewart
Perron McDonald Oshie
Porter Sobotka Reaves

That's just me though.
I like those lines. But I seriously doubt Hitch goes with two rookies on the top line

Old
05-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Linus

vCash: 526
I'm hoping for big things from Tarasenko tonight. He's had time to rest and watch, and hopefully he's pumped up for his first NHL playoff game.

I don't think Cracknell has played himself into being a healthy scratch, but someone has to come out. If Reaves and Porter can keep up their strong play, maybe Tarasenko will be able to finish something during one of their long offensive zone shifts.

PPs will be huge tonight. The PK has done their job, and it's time for the PP to step up.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:35 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Too many people look at the line-up with Tarasenko on the 4th line and lack the imagination to realize that Tarasenko is (if he plays well) going to get shifts that Cracknell would never get. He'll be on lines with top 9 players at times tonight, unless he looks overmatched.

I like this move. The 4th line has done its job well, but the 3rd game was less hitting from the Blues. Since they can't control the match-ups anyway, they can't put the CPR line out against the players from LAK they want to punish nearly as easily as they could at home. Maybe I was the only one who saw it, but the 4th line had a diminished effectiveness in game 3 (though I think they have still earned their ice time).

Tarasenko should be juiced to finally get on the ice. Its a low risk, high reward move, and gives Hitchcock a lot of parts to play with for in-game adjustments that could create headaches for the Kings.

Its a team game. Cracknell is part of a team. McDonald and Stewart need to prove they warranted being left in the line-up, and I think they will. Everyone has a part to play. I think tonight's game is going to vindicate Hitchcock's move here in a big way, and not necessarily simply with a productive night from Tarasenko alone.

Very excited to see Frank in his first Stanley Cup Playoffs game. Also looking forward to the Blues taking a commanding 3-1 lead.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:42 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

I don't think losing Cracknell=a 2-2 series. Yes, the fourth line has been great and, someone else probably should've come out. I still like our chances tonight in a very big game in LA. Hopefully Tarasenko can jump start some other guys and make an impact on the PP. If Vlad doesn't see PP then I will be pretty perplexed.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:47 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Blue View Post
Perron and Tank had some success earlier, why not put Oshie on 1 and Tank on 3?
Because I don't think how Oshie is playing is enough to overcome the potential of a star being born. Frank is our biggest weapon. Every team in the league knew he was talented. It's time for him to be THAT go to guy. That's why they drafted him. That's why he's here and not at home in Russia. Let him take the reins.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Won't be able to watch the game tonight as it's my buddy's birthday tonight and a celebration is in order. Hopefully I can also celebrate a Blues win!

Honestly not liking the roster change though, I like that Frank is in, but at the expense of breaking up our 4th line? McDonald has no business being in the lineup at this point, but I guess I'll just have to trust Hitch on this.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:56 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Because I don't think how Oshie is playing is enough to overcome the potential of a star being born. Frank is our biggest weapon. Every team in the league knew he was talented. It's time for him to be THAT go to guy. That's why they drafted him. That's why he's here and not at home in Russia. Let him take the reins.
Right but anything we get from him this season is a bonus. You can't unhit a wall. I don't expect much from him but right now a little mini-burst is all we need to get over this critical series hurdle. I think he's capable of that and if he isn't it'll be obvious and they can re-sit him.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:00 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
I like the move. I see Sobotka or Stewart on the 4th line before the midway/end of the first period and Frank up.

The only way I don't like the move is if Frank gets ~20 seconds of PP time per PP and then all PP units just fizzle like normal.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:04 PM
danglzzz

Would have slightly preferred mcdonald out over cracknell but I think some of you guys are heavily overreacting. Cracknell has been good on the fourth line but c'mon, some of you are acting like he's Jesus.

It's one game...he's got a very good chance of coming right back in next game if one of Sobotka, or McD (or Tarasenko) don't step up tonight.

It's time for Tank to get a shot. This move is fine.

And for those saying Stewart should sit. You don't just scratch your regular season scoring leader 3 games into a playoff series in which we're struggling to score. C'mon guys

Old
05-06-2013, 04:14 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglzzz View Post
Would have slightly preferred mcdonald out over cracknell but I think some of you guys are heavily overreacting. Cracknell has been good on the fourth line but c'mon, some of you are acting like he's Jesus.

It's one game...he's got a very good chance of coming right back in next game if one of Sobotka, or McD (or Tarasenko) don't step up tonight.

And for those saying Stewart should sit. You don't just scratch your regular season scoring leader 3 games into a playoff series in which we're struggling to score. C'mon guys
"Regular season scoring leader" is so misleading. Yeah, he technically amassed the most points but got all of his points during one huge burst during the second quarter of the season. For most of the rest of it he's been extremely meh. He's been the most disappointing physically in this series by far. McDonald isn't doing much in that regard either but he's not really expected to, and Stewart always gets this aspect of his game touted as to why he's absolutely untouchable in trade. It's crap. The guy is nowhere at the most critical time of the year. We all cheered when he was pouring in points in those 11 games or whatever, he was a force. But if he's not a force he's a floater and he's been a floater all series. Just because he scored some goals in some regular season games a couple months ago doesn't mean you slap a label on him "best scorer" and then leverage the label you decided to apply just to justify keeping him in. It's now or never in this series, and right now Chris Stewart is the biggest passenger on the team. He better start changing that tonight.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:15 PM
carter333167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skew06 View Post
Wow. That makes no sense. Replace the guy who has given his body and soul for this team the last few games in the playoffs instead of replacing chris stewart or andy mcdonald? We lose.
Exactly.

Cracknell took four vicious slashes from Nolan the other night without even a hint of retaliation. He needed to take all four in order for the refs to finally call a penalty. How many Blues have the discipline to take that type of punishment and not retaliate just to draw a penalty? Heck, one could argue that Cracknell helped cause Sutter to sit Nolan.

So, we are outplaying them, outchancing them,and outshooting them and we decide to break up one of our best lines????

Hitch said the other night that he would be happy to get that type of game on the road every time.....that the main reason we lost was due to sheer luck. (I tend to agree with the small caveat that we need a little more charge to the front of the net). I guess this is a sign that he really didn't believe what he was saying.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Brentaur

All this worry of breaking up a line that has won us fans over by not being a problem is taking our attention away from the bigger issue: three lines that have been ineffective at finishing what they start. Our 4th line alone won't get this team out of the first round.

Hitch needs room to adjust during these games now that he knows how guys are playing, and keeping a 4th line intact at the expense of that doesn't make sense. Besides, Cracknell's 3-4 shifts per period can easily be filled by any of the players called out in today's practice.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:27 PM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
I root for the grinders like Cracknell so I despise this move would have rather seen McDonald sit but that's just me. Hitch goes with veterans and regulars so that makes it highly doubtful that you see schwartz/tarasenko on the same line.

Anyway, keep plugging away Blues, get some ing traffic in front of Quick and come home with a commanding 3-1 series lead. Get R Done!

Let's Go Blues!

Old
05-06-2013, 04:46 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Lots of interesting nuggets in the Hitchcock presser especially his take on Berglund (best hockey he's ever seen him play as coach) and the Sobotka line (too spread out, not enough puck support).

Old
05-06-2013, 04:48 PM
SunDin

Dont you guys think Hitch just sat the guy with the most pain or who needed a day off the most? In this case, maybe Cracknell?
He have been so physical, it wouldnt be strange if he was the one in most pain.

Its a long series... there will be injuries... Cracknell will be back very soon... With the legs he had in game 1.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Lots of interesting nuggets in the Hitchcock presser especially his take on Berglund (best hockey he's ever seen him play as coach) and the Sobotka line (too spread out, not enough puck support).
It was a really good interview.

Berglund has been pretty darn good these last two games. His work ethic and puck control has drastically improved (though, still has more he could show). Defensively he has been pretty spot on. The first game, I was not particularly happy with his play.

The Sobie line has very much been too spread out. By biggest beef with that line comes from Stewart and McDonald not doing much to help Vlad with puck support.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Skew06

I dont like hitch taking size out of our lineup either with the way this series has been so physical. When we get pushed around, we lose games.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:39 PM
danglzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
"Regular season scoring leader" is so misleading. Yeah, he technically amassed the most points but got all of his points during one huge burst during the second quarter of the season. For most of the rest of it he's been extremely meh. He's been the most disappointing physically in this series by far. McDonald isn't doing much in that regard either but he's not really expected to, and Stewart always gets this aspect of his game touted as to why he's absolutely untouchable in trade. It's crap. The guy is nowhere at the most critical time of the year. We all cheered when he was pouring in points in those 11 games or whatever, he was a force. But if he's not a force he's a floater and he's been a floater all series. Just because he scored some goals in some regular season games a couple months ago doesn't mean you slap a label on him "best scorer" and then leverage the label you decided to apply just to justify keeping him in. It's now or never in this series, and right now Chris Stewart is the biggest passenger on the team. He better start changing that tonight.
I agree with everything here, I just think 3 games into the playoffs in a series we're leading is too early. He hasn't been a liability defensively and we all know he has the potential to 'turn it on' at any time.

I give him at the very least two more games to get it going. If he sits any time after that, you won't hear any objections from me.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:09 PM
BleedBlue247

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglzzz View Post

Stewie isn't just struggling to score, he's struggling to do anything. He isn't skating hard, he isn't shooting, he isn't passing well, he isn't scoring, and he isn't hitting. In short. He's been invisible, much like the Stewart of last year. I understand he's a streaky player, but I don't think it's too much to ask for him to look like he's trying. If say, he was playing like Schwartz where he was flying around making plays and was just snake bitten I don't think people would be willing to sit him.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
I'm all for sitting Cracknell. I feel like I'm in the minority.

Closed Thread