HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2013, 10:56 AM
  #601
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Colorado wins Seth Jones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
They're showing a replay of last night's Halifax game(MacKinnon/Drouin) on the NHL Network. I have to say, Fucale looks like the real deal. I've been extremely impressed, and wouldn't be at all upset to see him taken with our 1st rounder.
Me neither, should they take Furcale no complaints, if he is their highest rated player on the board.


Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 05-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:06 AM
  #602
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,169
vCash: 500
Just received the Hockey News draft preview, their ratings are a little wild but fun to read. Can't wait so see Bob McKenzie"s final list.

Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:15 AM
  #603
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Me neither, if they take Furcale no complaints.
If he's the BPA by our pick and it looks like he could be at #15-20, I'd have no problem snagging him. I know there is a debate on here about taking a goalie that high, but it wouldn't kill us. The jury is still out on Poulin and Nilsson. I don't have a lot of faith in Koskinen. If not in the 1st, I wouldn't mind taking a goalie with our 3rd rounder as a developmental guy.

I'd trade the pick for Bernier though. If Nichushkin falls because of KHL concerns, I'd take that gamble in a heart beat that late in the draft. He could be a stud winger for JT when we're scheduled to hit the ice at the Barclay's.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:40 AM
  #604
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Just received the Hockey News draft preview, their ratings are a little wild but fun to read. Can't wait so see Bob McKenzie"s final list.
MY guess is it won't be much different then the list that just came out of the top 11 players

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
If Nichushkin falls because of KHL concerns, I'd take that gamble in a heart beat that late in the draft. He could be a stud winger for JT when we're scheduled to hit the ice at the Barclay's.
If Nichushkin falls it will be like 8-12ish(my guess is he doesn't get past Buffalo at 8th)

In terms of the Islanders if they draft 16th, I think my first choice would be tradings down about 5-8 picks and picking up a second rounder. The draft seems deep and we should be able to get a good player in those later picks. In terms of needs if a BIG skilled RW is available you have to think long and hard about that but assuming the Islanders don't trade down something tells me their will be alot of good defensemen left on the board and it might be hard passing up on one of them


Last edited by boredmale: 05-04-2013 at 11:49 AM.
boredmale is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 12:04 PM
  #605
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
They're showing a replay of last night's Halifax game(MacKinnon/Drouin) on the NHL Network. I have to say, Fucale looks like the real deal. I've been extremely impressed, and wouldn't be at all upset to see him taken with our 1st rounder.
If he is the real deal he will go before our pick.

Or, maybe we will be treated to the "all goaltender" draft this year.

A Pointed Stick is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 02:01 PM
  #606
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Fucale might be good. But he's playing behind a legendary Halifax team. Its one of the best tea.s iced in Canadian juniors in a long while. He's a part of it, sure. But 17 year old goalies are very hard to predict. Using a 1st rounder on a goalie typically doesn't make too much sense

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 02:28 PM
  #607
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,468
vCash: 500
Anthony Mantha aka Anthony Mammotha

StrongIslanders90 is online now  
Old
05-06-2013, 01:09 PM
  #608
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 500
The targets at 15th overall for the Isles IMO are: Rasmus Ristolainen, Anthony Mantha, Ryan Pulock, and Curtis Lazar.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Columbus take Mantha right before the Isles pick, and have Ristolainen fall into Snow's lap, then Buffalo scoops up Pulock. Rasmus is a solid two-way defender who doesn't have the offense to be a true #1, but could still play a role on a top pair with another strong 'D' (Reinhart-Ristolainen would be devastating for Sid and Malkin to play against in the future).

Konk is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 02:04 PM
  #609
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
The targets at 15th overall for the Isles IMO are: Rasmus Ristolainen, Anthony Mantha, Ryan Pulock, and Curtis Lazar.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Columbus take Mantha right before the Isles pick, and have Ristolainen fall into Snow's lap, then Buffalo scoops up Pulock. Rasmus is a solid two-way defender who doesn't have the offense to be a true #1, but could still play a role on a top pair with another strong 'D' (Reinhart-Ristolainen would be devastating for Sid and Malkin to play against in the future).
They are saying Zykov might be available around 15 or 16. I'd love to snag him. 6'1" 210 pound scorer (40 goals in his first season in North America, in the Q). Might prove to be a mid round sniper. Lazar if he's there, or maybe Furcale. Even Domi and Mantha might be available. Gotta love the top 20 of the 2013 draft. Must hit a home run though, with no 2nd round pick this year.

Would the Isles consider trading DOWN for a late 1st and a 2nd ?

scott99 is online now  
Old
05-06-2013, 02:26 PM
  #610
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,785
vCash: 500
I think if anything Snow will move up and or make trades to get two mid firsts...I see Snow as being a mover in this draft....for the simple fact that we are busting at the seems with trade assets.

We got rights to Aucoin, Reasoner, Boyes and Streit that we could use as leverage
We also have prospect assets like DeHaan, Hickey, Kabanov, Kitchton..basically a whole stash of prospects ready to hit the ice...no more developing needed or a lot less than drafting a fresh kid.

Snow either will keep collecting newer assets by trading what he's got now, which is cool because there are a few that need to go if they won't sign (kitchton) OR he has his eye on someone..kinda like how he had it for DeHaan...

My take...Snow knows that even trading the barn, the Avs won't give up Seth/1st...but I figure it's possible he could trade up to get McKinnon or Drouin....I figure trading to second or third overall is worth a little overpayment. McKinnon could be our Sid/Malk combo....or Drouin..that young guy taking the wing of JT.

steveat is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 03:27 PM
  #611
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
They are saying Zykov might be available around 15 or 16. I'd love to snag him. 6'1" 210 pound scorer (40 goals in his first season in North America, in the Q). Might prove to be a mid round sniper. Lazar if he's there, or maybe Furcale. Even Domi and Mantha might be available. Gotta love the top 20 of the 2013 draft. Must hit a home run though, with no 2nd round pick this year.
Domi won't last that long. Zykov is a total wildcard, but I'd be hesitant taking him 15th overall considering he's come out of nowhere. Cases like him and Radek Faksa are too much of unknowns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Would the Isles consider trading DOWN for a late 1st and a 2nd ?
My guess is they will stand pat.

Konk is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 03:34 PM
  #612
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 849
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
The targets at 15th overall for the Isles IMO are: Rasmus Ristolainen, Anthony Mantha, Ryan Pulock, and Curtis Lazar.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Columbus take Mantha right before the Isles pick, and have Ristolainen fall into Snow's lap, then Buffalo scoops up Pulock. Rasmus is a solid two-way defender who doesn't have the offense to be a true #1, but could still play a role on a top pair with another strong 'D' (Reinhart-Ristolainen would be devastating for Sid and Malkin to play against in the future).
It would be very difficult for me to choose between Lazar and Risto if they both fell to the Isles pick. At the end of the day, though, I love the skating and 2-way play Lazar brings to the table. Add in the fact that he's a righty shot(and by many accounts has a very solid one) and the reports the he's a high character guy, it would seem he's a typical Garth-style player.

With his tools and the head on his shoulders, he seems like he would have low bust potential as it looks his game could translate as a bottom 6 checker if his high-end skills never fully develop.

thedonger is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 03:46 PM
  #613
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I think if anything Snow will move up and or make trades to get two mid firsts...I see Snow as being a mover in this draft....for the simple fact that we are busting at the seems with trade assets.

We got rights to Aucoin, Reasoner, Boyes and Streit that we could use as leverage
We also have prospect assets like DeHaan, Hickey, Kabanov, Kitchton..basically a whole stash of prospects ready to hit the ice...no more developing needed or a lot less than drafting a fresh kid.

Snow either will keep collecting newer assets by trading what he's got now, which is cool because there are a few that need to go if they won't sign (kitchton) OR he has his eye on someone..kinda like how he had it for DeHaan...

My take...Snow knows that even trading the barn, the Avs won't give up Seth/1st...but I figure it's possible he could trade up to get McKinnon or Drouin....I figure trading to second or third overall is worth a little overpayment. McKinnon could be our Sid/Malk combo....or Drouin..that young guy taking the wing of JT.
When in the whole time Garth has been here, has he EVER made the bold moves you are thinking he would make ? No way he trades up to get Drouin or Mackinnon. That's a pipe dream. He either trades down ala the Bailey draft, or several picks to move back up to the bottom of the first round draft (Brock Nelson), trades picks to move up slightly (De Haan). Never goes for the home run like you're suggesting. Though I'd love to see Drouin or Mackinnon riding shotgun w/Tavares.

scott99 is online now  
Old
05-06-2013, 03:49 PM
  #614
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
When in the whole time Garth has been here, has he EVER made the bold moves you are thinking he would make ? No way he trades up to get Drouin or Mackinnon. That's a pipe dream. He either trades down ala the Bailey draft, or several picks to move back up to the bottom of the first round draft (Brock Nelson), trades picks to move up slightly (De Haan). Never goes for the home run like you're suggesting. Though I'd love to see Drouin or Mackinnon riding shotgun w/Tavares.
I could see them moving the pick for a premium player. Something like the Canes did with Jordan Staal last season. Maybe something like Moulson or Grabner + 2013 first for a 1st line winger or top 3 defenseman.

WangMustGo is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 03:51 PM
  #615
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
It would be very difficult for me to choose between Lazar and Risto if they both fell to the Isles pick. At the end of the day, though, I love the skating and 2-way play Lazar brings to the table. Add in the fact that he's a righty shot(and by many accounts has a very solid one) and the reports the he's a high character guy, it would seem he's a typical Garth-style player.

With his tools and the head on his shoulders, he seems like he would have low bust potential as it looks his game could translate as a bottom 6 checker if his high-end skills never fully develop.
Lazar does make a lot of sense considering that he's Reinhart's teammate so you have to think the Isles have had a good look at him. His RH shot would also give us some flexibility.

For me, I'd take Ristolainen between the two (at this point in time). Like Konk mentioned, a Reinhart-Ristolainen would be a dream pair that is just too good for me to pass up.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 03:55 PM
  #616
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Domi won't last that long. Zykov is a total wildcard, but I'd be hesitant taking him 15th overall considering he's come out of nowhere. Cases like him and Radek Faksa are too much of unknowns.

My guess is they will stand pat.
I wouldn't say Zykov came out of nowhere. It was his first season in North America, and he produced incredibly well (40 goals). I can only imagine how well he plays in year 2 in the "Q". I can see him being one of the steals of the draft. He was well known as a good Russian prospect before he came over.

scott99 is online now  
Old
05-06-2013, 03:57 PM
  #617
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Lazar does make a lot of sense considering that he's Reinhart's teammate so you have to think the Isles have had a good look at him. His RH shot would also give us some flexibility.

For me, I'd take Ristolainen between the two (at this point in time). Like Konk mentioned, a Reinhart-Ristolainen would be a dream pair that is just too good for me to pass up.
You're getting virtually no offense fropm that pair. I like Ristolainen, but he's basically another Reinhart. I rather we pick Pulock if he's available, a PP QB at the point with a booming shot, AND adds some grit.

scott99 is online now  
Old
05-06-2013, 04:02 PM
  #618
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 849
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Lazar does make a lot of sense considering that he's Reinhart's teammate so you have to think the Isles have had a good look at him. His RH shot would also give us some flexibility.

For me, I'd take Ristolainen between the two (at this point in time). Like Konk mentioned, a Reinhart-Ristolainen would be a dream pair that is just too good for me to pass up.
And I wouldn't in the least bit be disappointed if that's who they end up taking with the pick.

thedonger is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 04:39 PM
  #619
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 500
Lets say the Islanders pick around 15th and Montreal is picking at around 25th, would you do this:

Montreal 1st(25)
Montreal 2nd(55)
Montreal 4th(115)

for

Islanders 1st(15)
Islanders 5th(135)

LeHabsMan is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 04:50 PM
  #620
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Lets say the Islanders pick around 15th and Montreal is picking at around 25th, would you do this:

Montreal 1st(25)
Montreal 2nd(55)
Montreal 4th(115)

for

Islanders 1st(15)
Islanders 5th(135)
Nope, the Islanders have a ton of depth in the system, we could use another bluechip prospect more so than depth.

WangMustGo is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 05:03 PM
  #621
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
You're getting virtually no offense fropm that pair. I like Ristolainen, but he's basically another Reinhart. I rather we pick Pulock if he's available, a PP QB at the point with a booming shot, AND adds some grit.
I honestly wouldn't care, considering they both skate well and can dish the puck. Look at the McDonagh-Girardi pairing. Not much offense but still a legit shut down 1st pairing.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 05:48 PM
  #622
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Lets say the Islanders pick around 15th and Montreal is picking at around 25th, would you do this:

Montreal 1st(25)
Montreal 2nd(55)
Montreal 4th(115)

for

Islanders 1st(15)
Islanders 5th(135)
I personally would do

Islanders first(15) for Montreal's First(25) and Calgary's 2nd(37th)

55th though to much of a crapshoot to make it worthwhile

boredmale is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 05:51 PM
  #623
Poliz24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: LI
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
What about Goalie? You think Garth goes for one in the first round? We need to draft one but we also need a winger to play with JT. I feel like we have a good amount of depth with D-men since we drafted 7 last year.

Poliz24 is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 06:12 PM
  #624
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
What about Goalie? You think Garth goes for one in the first round? We need to draft one but we also need a winger to play with JT. I feel like we have a good amount of depth with D-men since we drafted 7 last year.
If Fucale is BPA I would definitely take him in the 1st. That said, you can never have enough defensive depth. We are short on wingers in the system and Zykov or Lazar could give us a boost. It could really go either way depending on who is available.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 06:30 PM
  #625
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I personally would do

Islanders first(15) for Montreal's First(25) and Calgary's 2nd(37th)

55th though to much of a crapshoot to make it worthwhile
I dont know about this. Like the islanders, Montreal has depth but not many blue chip prospects. That 37th pick can be a potential 1st rounder.

LeHabsMan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.