HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Colorado wins Seth Jones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
They're showing a replay of last night's Halifax game(MacKinnon/Drouin) on the NHL Network. I have to say, Fucale looks like the real deal. I've been extremely impressed, and wouldn't be at all upset to see him taken with our 1st rounder.
Me neither, should they take Furcale no complaints, if he is their highest rated player on the board.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 05-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old
05-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Degeneration Rex

Just received the Hockey News draft preview, their ratings are a little wild but fun to read. Can't wait so see Bob McKenzie"s final list.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:15 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Me neither, if they take Furcale no complaints.
If he's the BPA by our pick and it looks like he could be at #15-20, I'd have no problem snagging him. I know there is a debate on here about taking a goalie that high, but it wouldn't kill us. The jury is still out on Poulin and Nilsson. I don't have a lot of faith in Koskinen. If not in the 1st, I wouldn't mind taking a goalie with our 3rd rounder as a developmental guy.

I'd trade the pick for Bernier though. If Nichushkin falls because of KHL concerns, I'd take that gamble in a heart beat that late in the draft. He could be a stud winger for JT when we're scheduled to hit the ice at the Barclay's.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:40 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Just received the Hockey News draft preview, their ratings are a little wild but fun to read. Can't wait so see Bob McKenzie"s final list.
MY guess is it won't be much different then the list that just came out of the top 11 players

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
If Nichushkin falls because of KHL concerns, I'd take that gamble in a heart beat that late in the draft. He could be a stud winger for JT when we're scheduled to hit the ice at the Barclay's.
If Nichushkin falls it will be like 8-12ish(my guess is he doesn't get past Buffalo at 8th)

In terms of the Islanders if they draft 16th, I think my first choice would be tradings down about 5-8 picks and picking up a second rounder. The draft seems deep and we should be able to get a good player in those later picks. In terms of needs if a BIG skilled RW is available you have to think long and hard about that but assuming the Islanders don't trade down something tells me their will be alot of good defensemen left on the board and it might be hard passing up on one of them

Last edited by boredmale: 05-04-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old
05-04-2013, 12:04 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
They're showing a replay of last night's Halifax game(MacKinnon/Drouin) on the NHL Network. I have to say, Fucale looks like the real deal. I've been extremely impressed, and wouldn't be at all upset to see him taken with our 1st rounder.
If he is the real deal he will go before our pick.

Or, maybe we will be treated to the "all goaltender" draft this year.

Old
05-04-2013, 02:01 PM
InformTheMasses

Fucale might be good. But he's playing behind a legendary Halifax team. Its one of the best tea.s iced in Canadian juniors in a long while. He's a part of it, sure. But 17 year old goalies are very hard to predict. Using a 1st rounder on a goalie typically doesn't make too much sense

Old
05-04-2013, 02:28 PM
StrongIslanders90

Anthony Mantha aka Anthony Mammotha

Old
05-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Konk

The targets at 15th overall for the Isles IMO are: Rasmus Ristolainen, Anthony Mantha, Ryan Pulock, and Curtis Lazar.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Columbus take Mantha right before the Isles pick, and have Ristolainen fall into Snow's lap, then Buffalo scoops up Pulock. Rasmus is a solid two-way defender who doesn't have the offense to be a true #1, but could still play a role on a top pair with another strong 'D' (Reinhart-Ristolainen would be devastating for Sid and Malkin to play against in the future).

Old
05-06-2013, 02:04 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
The targets at 15th overall for the Isles IMO are: Rasmus Ristolainen, Anthony Mantha, Ryan Pulock, and Curtis Lazar.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Columbus take Mantha right before the Isles pick, and have Ristolainen fall into Snow's lap, then Buffalo scoops up Pulock. Rasmus is a solid two-way defender who doesn't have the offense to be a true #1, but could still play a role on a top pair with another strong 'D' (Reinhart-Ristolainen would be devastating for Sid and Malkin to play against in the future).
They are saying Zykov might be available around 15 or 16. I'd love to snag him. 6'1" 210 pound scorer (40 goals in his first season in North America, in the Q). Might prove to be a mid round sniper. Lazar if he's there, or maybe Furcale. Even Domi and Mantha might be available. Gotta love the top 20 of the 2013 draft. Must hit a home run though, with no 2nd round pick this year.

Would the Isles consider trading DOWN for a late 1st and a 2nd ?

Old
05-06-2013, 02:26 PM
steveat

I think if anything Snow will move up and or make trades to get two mid firsts...I see Snow as being a mover in this draft....for the simple fact that we are busting at the seems with trade assets.

We got rights to Aucoin, Reasoner, Boyes and Streit that we could use as leverage
We also have prospect assets like DeHaan, Hickey, Kabanov, Kitchton..basically a whole stash of prospects ready to hit the ice...no more developing needed or a lot less than drafting a fresh kid.

Snow either will keep collecting newer assets by trading what he's got now, which is cool because there are a few that need to go if they won't sign (kitchton) OR he has his eye on someone..kinda like how he had it for DeHaan...

My take...Snow knows that even trading the barn, the Avs won't give up Seth/1st...but I figure it's possible he could trade up to get McKinnon or Drouin....I figure trading to second or third overall is worth a little overpayment. McKinnon could be our Sid/Malk combo....or Drouin..that young guy taking the wing of JT.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
They are saying Zykov might be available around 15 or 16. I'd love to snag him. 6'1" 210 pound scorer (40 goals in his first season in North America, in the Q). Might prove to be a mid round sniper. Lazar if he's there, or maybe Furcale. Even Domi and Mantha might be available. Gotta love the top 20 of the 2013 draft. Must hit a home run though, with no 2nd round pick this year.
Domi won't last that long. Zykov is a total wildcard, but I'd be hesitant taking him 15th overall considering he's come out of nowhere. Cases like him and Radek Faksa are too much of unknowns.
Quote:
Would the Isles consider trading DOWN for a late 1st and a 2nd ?
My guess is they will stand pat.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:34 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:

It would be very difficult for me to choose between Lazar and Risto if they both fell to the Isles pick. At the end of the day, though, I love the skating and 2-way play Lazar brings to the table. Add in the fact that he's a righty shot(and by many accounts has a very solid one) and the reports the he's a high character guy, it would seem he's a typical Garth-style player.

With his tools and the head on his shoulders, he seems like he would have low bust potential as it looks his game could translate as a bottom 6 checker if his high-end skills never fully develop.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:46 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I think if anything Snow will move up and or make trades to get two mid firsts...I see Snow as being a mover in this draft....for the simple fact that we are busting at the seems with trade assets.

We got rights to Aucoin, Reasoner, Boyes and Streit that we could use as leverage
We also have prospect assets like DeHaan, Hickey, Kabanov, Kitchton..basically a whole stash of prospects ready to hit the ice...no more developing needed or a lot less than drafting a fresh kid.

Snow either will keep collecting newer assets by trading what he's got now, which is cool because there are a few that need to go if they won't sign (kitchton) OR he has his eye on someone..kinda like how he had it for DeHaan...

My take...Snow knows that even trading the barn, the Avs won't give up Seth/1st...but I figure it's possible he could trade up to get McKinnon or Drouin....I figure trading to second or third overall is worth a little overpayment. McKinnon could be our Sid/Malk combo....or Drouin..that young guy taking the wing of JT.
When in the whole time Garth has been here, has he EVER made the bold moves you are thinking he would make ? No way he trades up to get Drouin or Mackinnon. That's a pipe dream. He either trades down ala the Bailey draft, or several picks to move back up to the bottom of the first round draft (Brock Nelson), trades picks to move up slightly (De Haan). Never goes for the home run like you're suggesting. Though I'd love to see Drouin or Mackinnon riding shotgun w/Tavares.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:49 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
When in the whole time Garth has been here, has he EVER made the bold moves you are thinking he would make ? No way he trades up to get Drouin or Mackinnon. That's a pipe dream. He either trades down ala the Bailey draft, or several picks to move back up to the bottom of the first round draft (Brock Nelson), trades picks to move up slightly (De Haan). Never goes for the home run like you're suggesting. Though I'd love to see Drouin or Mackinnon riding shotgun w/Tavares.
I could see them moving the pick for a premium player. Something like the Canes did with Jordan Staal last season. Maybe something like Moulson or Grabner + 2013 first for a 1st line winger or top 3 defenseman.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:51 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
It would be very difficult for me to choose between Lazar and Risto if they both fell to the Isles pick. At the end of the day, though, I love the skating and 2-way play Lazar brings to the table. Add in the fact that he's a righty shot(and by many accounts has a very solid one) and the reports the he's a high character guy, it would seem he's a typical Garth-style player.

With his tools and the head on his shoulders, he seems like he would have low bust potential as it looks his game could translate as a bottom 6 checker if his high-end skills never fully develop.
Lazar does make a lot of sense considering that he's Reinhart's teammate so you have to think the Isles have had a good look at him. His RH shot would also give us some flexibility.

For me, I'd take Ristolainen between the two (at this point in time). Like Konk mentioned, a Reinhart-Ristolainen would be a dream pair that is just too good for me to pass up.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:55 PM
scott99

Quote:
Domi won't last that long. Zykov is a total wildcard, but I'd be hesitant taking him 15th overall considering he's come out of nowhere. Cases like him and Radek Faksa are too much of unknowns.

My guess is they will stand pat.
I wouldn't say Zykov came out of nowhere. It was his first season in North America, and he produced incredibly well (40 goals). I can only imagine how well he plays in year 2 in the "Q". I can see him being one of the steals of the draft. He was well known as a good Russian prospect before he came over.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:57 PM
scott99

Quote:
Lazar does make a lot of sense considering that he's Reinhart's teammate so you have to think the Isles have had a good look at him. His RH shot would also give us some flexibility.

For me, I'd take Ristolainen between the two (at this point in time). Like Konk mentioned, a Reinhart-Ristolainen would be a dream pair that is just too good for me to pass up.
You're getting virtually no offense fropm that pair. I like Ristolainen, but he's basically another Reinhart. I rather we pick Pulock if he's available, a PP QB at the point with a booming shot, AND adds some grit.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:02 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:

And I wouldn't in the least bit be disappointed if that's who they end up taking with the pick.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:39 PM
LeHabsMan

Lets say the Islanders pick around 15th and Montreal is picking at around 25th, would you do this:

Montreal 1st(25)
Montreal 2nd(55)
Montreal 4th(115)

for

Islanders 1st(15)
Islanders 5th(135)

Old
05-06-2013, 04:50 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Lets say the Islanders pick around 15th and Montreal is picking at around 25th, would you do this:

Montreal 1st(25)
Montreal 2nd(55)
Montreal 4th(115)

for

Islanders 1st(15)
Islanders 5th(135)
Nope, the Islanders have a ton of depth in the system, we could use another bluechip prospect more so than depth.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:03 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
You're getting virtually no offense fropm that pair. I like Ristolainen, but he's basically another Reinhart. I rather we pick Pulock if he's available, a PP QB at the point with a booming shot, AND adds some grit.
I honestly wouldn't care, considering they both skate well and can dish the puck. Look at the McDonagh-Girardi pairing. Not much offense but still a legit shut down 1st pairing.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:48 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post

Montreal 1st(25)
Montreal 2nd(55)
Montreal 4th(115)

for

Islanders 1st(15)
Islanders 5th(135)
I personally would do

Islanders first(15) for Montreal's First(25) and Calgary's 2nd(37th)

55th though to much of a crapshoot to make it worthwhile

Old
05-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Poliz24

What about Goalie? You think Garth goes for one in the first round? We need to draft one but we also need a winger to play with JT. I feel like we have a good amount of depth with D-men since we drafted 7 last year.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:12 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
What about Goalie? You think Garth goes for one in the first round? We need to draft one but we also need a winger to play with JT. I feel like we have a good amount of depth with D-men since we drafted 7 last year.
If Fucale is BPA I would definitely take him in the 1st. That said, you can never have enough defensive depth. We are short on wingers in the system and Zykov or Lazar could give us a boost. It could really go either way depending on who is available.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:30 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I personally would do

Islanders first(15) for Montreal's First(25) and Calgary's 2nd(37th)

55th though to much of a crapshoot to make it worthwhile
I dont know about this. Like the islanders, Montreal has depth but not many blue chip prospects. That 37th pick can be a potential 1st rounder.

Closed Thread