HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Reimer AKA Optimus Reim

Old
05-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I Am The Stig
SPACESHIP!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Damien Cox actually had an article about that you can read here:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/..._wins_cox.html

This part is so true:
At least with Reimer, his flaws can be fixed in the off season. Mentally he doesn't seem to have an issue which is very important unlike a previous goalie we had (Gustavsson)

I Am The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:15 PM
AvroArrow

He's improving steadily, which is the most important thing for us. .924% save percent on the season, not bad. He does need to work on his rebound control and glove hand, but he's gotten MUCH better over the course of the season.

AvroArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Once Reimer got out from under the World's greatest goalie coach in Allaire, he has started to blossom, and play his game again.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:55 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Reimer is a great goalie, and getting better all the time. The only real weakness is rebound control. He kicks out too many pucks. Part of his style, though, as clearly he's doing this a lot of the time intentionally. So what looks like lack of control isn't. He's still doing this too much at this level, as what worked in lower levels can burn you here with players able to get to those bouncing pucks quicker.

At any rate, Reimer has the mental strength and the talent to be great for a long time. I hope that Nonis proclaims him as the number one this summer, no matter what happens in the playoffs. We don't need more Luongo nonsense this summer, and it's sure to kick up again big time with the Canucks likely going out in four.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Salgari

Send a message via MSN to Salgari
Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
He's improving steadily, which is the most important thing for us. .924% save percent on the season, not bad. He does need to work on his rebound control and glove hand, but he's gotten MUCH better over the course of the season.
You have a funny definition of "not bad"

Salgari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:44 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

I always found it funny.. Shoot high on Reimer. You hear it non stop. Really? He's like most other goalies?

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Sluck13

I was recently asked who would you trade reimer for and I had trouble thinking of anyone maybe Quick, but as Tampa proved you cant build a team with offence and no other goalie in the NHL gets as many shots as Reimer and still makes the big saves

Sluck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Dr.Funk

Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:02 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

well he's all we got so...

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:03 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluck13 View Post
I was recently asked who would you trade reimer for and I had trouble thinking of anyone maybe Quick, but as Tampa proved you cant build a team with offence and no other goalie in the NHL gets as many shots as Reimer and still makes the big saves
Honestly, without getting carried away I'd trade him for Henrik Lundqvist, Jonathan Quick, Craig Anderson or Carey Price. With that being said, I used to think Luongo would be an upgrade but I no longer think that. I'm really starting to believe in Reimer, not only as potential to be a starting goaltender, but rather all star potential. Any one other than a Leafs fan might think that's a homer's opinion, but I (obviously) disagree. He's mentally tough, he has the athletic ability and more importantly he is very competitive.

TL;DR I no longer think Reimer is at the peak of his career, on the contrary I think he is only going to get better with more experience. I'm glad the Leafs have him.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Dr.Funk

Craig Anderson?

I'd put Pekke Rinne on that list.

Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Mindrust
TradeKessel

I've noticed a trend this season: Reimer will either let in 2 or less goals and win the game, or let in a **** ton of goals (5+) and lose.

Any time he lets in 2, I get worried, because the next goal will kill the game for us.

Mindrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindrust View Post
I've noticed a trend this season: Reimer will either let in 2 or less goals and win the game, or let in a **** ton of goals (5+) and lose.

Any time he lets in 2, I get worried, because the next goal will kill the game for us.
Do you find it weird that he's more likely to win when he lets in less goals?

Reimer's record (sorted by goals against) - Min. 40 mins played

0 goals against: 4-0-0
1 goals against: 3-1-0
2 goals against: 6-0-2
3 goals against: 3-0-0
4 goals against: 2-2-6
5 goals against: 0-1-0

Seems the only time we're in trouble is when he lets in 4 goals or more, which makes complete sense for any team and any goaltender.

Pretty interesting that in over half of these games (19 of 33), he allowed 2 or less.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindrust View Post

He's let in 5 once this year, but I get what you're saying. He's either letting in 2 or 4, that seems to be the two most common numbers regarding goals allowed for Reimer.

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Didact
steel is my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
He's let in 5 once this year, but I get what you're saying. He's either letting in 2 or 4, that seems to be the two most common numbers regarding goals allowed for Reimer.
not surprising behind this defence. We either play a good game or a bad game. Rarely, do we play a great game.

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:08 PM
makbeer

Objectively speaking, Reimer has improved a lot. He has managed to overcome a lot of his shortcomings, and he has put together a great season. And the defense has been a huge part of that because they are keeping shots to the outside and also limiting rebound chances.

However he is not perfect (obviously).

Let's talk technique first. I hear a lot about his rebound control but I see that as one of his strengths. He mostly does a good job absorbing shot and steering shots in to the corners. His major flaw in terms of technique is that he plays very deep - which you can do if you are Lundqvist, but has cost Reimer some goals this season. It seems to be that he does this because he's not confident in his quickness and ability to recover should the shot not come if he is out of his crease.

His skating may be his biggest weakness. Compare it to a goalie like Craig Anderson, who has skating as maybe his biggest strength. Where Reimer covers a post-to-post play on his belly with just one pad at the post, Anderson gets over in a half-butterfly on one knee getting his body in front of it. Even compare it to someone like Rask (who is a better goalie than Reimer right now, but not by a lot) and you'll see skating and explosiveness give Rask the ability to really telescope out on scoring plays.

His glove is maligned but that doesn't really bother me. The thing techinque-wise that bothers me is the shots he lets through his body. For the type of goalie he is, the shots 5-hole and through the armpit are really inexcusable and need to be eliminated from his game. No goals through you or under you is the basic principle on which his goaltending style is based. This is also my biggest weakness as a goalie and for me it's usually due to lapses in concentration/focus but I'm not sure why it happens to Reimer.

Talent-wise he doesn't appear to have ridiculous reflexes but they are more than good enough. I think reflexes are overrated for goalies because realistically you mostly can't react in time to stop a grade A scoring chance anyways. He appears to anticipate the play well, it is mostly his athleticism (which can be improved in the gym) and skating (which can be improved obviously) that let him down.

Mentally Reimer seems to be as strong as they come. Not much to say there.

I feel like Reimer's ceiling is as high as his work ethic. If he improves his skating and explosiveness there's no reason he can't become a vezina candidate within the next 3-5 years.

makbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:41 PM
mapleleaf979

1) suspect glove hand
2) ends up laying on his stomach when he cant find the puck in his crease, his arms flailing away like he is swimming, couldn't be in a worse position
3) Has a tendency to freeze when pucks get behind him, he turns his head to search for the puck, body frozen, this impacts his recovery time in the negative way
4) I think he has average lateral movement
5) Just a big blocking style goaltender who I view as mentally weak

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 02:11 PM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

Reimer stole games in the playoffs. Would have been over in 5 without Reimer.

I have no idea why it feels like half of Leaf nation wants to trade him without even seeing if Bernier is even better.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
I have no idea why
Grass is always greener...

Joey Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
TorontonianLeafs34
Rookie User

If it wasn't for Reimer, we would've finished out of a playoff spot or finish somewhere between 6th-8th last season. There were games where he carried the team on his back and did the work himself. He's still got room to improve but let's not forget he's only 25, he's not at his peak yet. Reimer's got tons of potential going forward.

TorontonianLeafs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
1) suspect glove hand
2) ends up laying on his stomach when he cant find the puck in his crease, his arms flailing away like he is swimming, couldn't be in a worse position
3) Has a tendency to freeze when pucks get behind him, he turns his head to search for the puck, body frozen, this impacts his recovery time in the negative way
1) Beating a dead horse
2) He is making himself big to ensure he is cover the puck. If he doesn't know where it is, but knows it is in the crease, wouldn't you hope his first reaction is to look big? Just like when a goalie can't track a puck through traffic.
3) If Reimer does not know where the puck is, it does not mean it is always behind him, it could be under him. He is looking left & right to see where players/refs are looking first before he is going to risk flailing backwards and coughing the puck up when it was actually under him. If he gets no read, he is looking behind himself. (At least I hope this one is true)
4) Average for a Goalie? Average for a #1 Goalie? What are your parameters? Yes, he is no Quick, but he does an excellent job getting across for a goalie his size.
5) Please explain the logic behind your view?

- Reimer needs to work on his rebound control.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 02:45 PM
wulfio*

i just want Reimer gone because I'm sick of his lame nick name.

wulfio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:02 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
1) suspect glove hand
1) This is a myth. A lot of goals are scored gloves side on many goalies. It's only in the case of Reimer that it gets blown way out of proportion. Does he have the greatest glove hand, no, but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. He certainly didn't have a problem making that nice glove save last night.

2) I don't know what instance your talking about, but the majority of the time I've seen him get down on his belly when the puck was in the crease is when he's making an attempt to find the puck in between skates and/or freezing it.

3) I imagine he's frozen because he thinks he has the puck in his body. Unless a goalie knows its behind him, he's not going to go flailing behind him to stop, but there are times when I've seen the puck behind him and he's quick to react and freeze it.

4)I think he's lateral movement is above average, he pushes off really well and follows movement well.

5) If there is one thing that is a strong point of Reimer's, it's mental toughness. The guy doesn't let goals get to him, he brushes them off. The man also had to put up with injuries, trade rumors of the team bringing in a number one, media distractions, yet he rose above all that and has managed to perform.

If there is one glaring weakness that Reimer has, it's his inability to handle the puck, that is something he needs to improve. He also needs to improve his rebound control.

It's funny how all of the sudden, the new toy comes over, and all the things this guy has done for this team is just swept under the rug. Oh well, I guess Reimer will just keep proving doubters wrong all over again.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

If Bernier wins the job this will be Reimer's last season as a Leaf.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:44 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
If Bernier wins the job this will be Reimer's last season as a Leaf.
I beg to differ. Reimer is still a young goalie, and an RFA; unless there is an offer that makes sense, we're not going to be giving him away. Even if Bernier proves to be a great starter, having a guy like Reimer on the backup position will huge for the team.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote