HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Serge Savard:We need to get bigger

Old
05-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

vCash: 500
Serge Savard:We need to get bigger

-Serge Savard just said today on the RDS show 5 a 7 that "The Montreal Canadiens lack size and it showed last night when they weren't playing their game [..] and when they got blown out by the Leafs"

Nothing new or out of the ordinary, but this is interesting since it's coming from Savard who was initially hired for the hiring of the new GM last year. MB obviously realizes this issue, but I think they want to address it correctly. Have they realized that they acted a little slow upon the issue and should of gotten quick fixes?Like picking up an enforcer by the waiver pickup method earlier on this season?

How much of an effort do you think MB is going to give in attempt to get bigger at the FA?

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:06 PM
ottawa

vCash: 69
That man is a genius...I mean, no one ever thought of that.

JGRB
#EllerThugLife

We need to start identifying who is a part of the core and who isn't.

Re-signing Desharnais makes me question if Bergevin *really* knows who his core players are. Eller is definitely way ahead of DD on my depth chart, arguably ahead of Plekanec too. I said it in game 1 and I'll say it again:

Lars Eller is our only center built for the playoffs. Galchenyuk doesn't count yet.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Bergevin tried picking up Sestito this year but Vancouver got him before us, you can tell by his pickups last year he's looking to add more toughness and physical play so I'm sure he'll continue to add size/toughness this summer.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:07 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

In before the crowd says that we cannot give up any of our smallish prospects or valuable future draft picks for smallish players to make this team larger and tougher.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OneSharpMarble

I am of the mind we don't need a huge enforcer, just more tough guys like Prust. Huge enforcers only fight other enforcers and that is not going to help us. When someone like Marchand starts taking runs you need your guys like White and Prust to lay down equal punishment.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halifaxhab*

Tinordi is a start. Emelin coming back

Then what? Im a big dude ( 6ft 210) but you dont want me there. Size with talent is what is needed....and there isnt alot available in the UFA pool.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:13 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
In before the crowd says that we cannot give up any of our smallish prospects or valuable future draft picks for smallish players to make this team larger and tougher.
The only undersized player that would be untouchable is Gallagher.

Dude is a gamer.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evgeny_Artyukhin

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:17 PM
andy28

I would grab an enforcer and one who isn't too much of a liability on the ice. Play him when you need him. He can't hurt. Another solid bottom sixer like Prust would be great as well. There are other possible holes too. Ryder will likely go. Gio is not the same player he was in his first two seasons here. Is Desharnais slumping? Can we count on him to return to form? And defense. Markov is only going to get older. Are younger guys ready to step in?

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:20 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
I would grab an enforcer and one who isn't too much of a liability on the ice. Play him when you need him. He can't hurt. Another solid bottom sixer like Prust would be great as well. There are other possible holes too. Ryder will likely go. Gio is not the same player he was in his first two seasons here. Is Desharnais slumping? Can we count on him to return to form? And defense. Markov is only going to get older. Are younger guys ready to step in?
Beaulieu.

He needs to play. He routinely feeds guys their lunch in fights too.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Tinordi
Emelin-Beaulieu

Old
05-06-2013, 05:20 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post

Then what? Im a big dude ( 6ft 210) but you dont want me there. Size with talent is what is needed....and there isnt alot available in the UFA pool.
tinordi still has baby fat and emelin is useless in the "stick up for teamates" category. I dont blame bergevin, on paper prust, white, moen and army are not great but not awfull. Moen and army wont fight anymore which means that most of it falls on prust who is both only a good middleweight and likely injured. The only other guys who can fight are white ( whom most people want gone the second he makes a mistake) and boullion who is methusulan. both can be expected to hold their own in their weight class but that's about it.

Saying it would be great to have more prusts is a nice idea but where do we get the 2.5 mil per year per player to fill this void ?

I dont know what the answer is, other than finding a steve macintyre like player who can spend most of the year in hamilton and who can get called up if this are expected to get a little messy.

Sesito would have been good off of waivers and there will be a lot of guys who could fill these slots in the summer but a lot of other teams need the same thing.

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:21 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post

I posted this on another thread.

Brandon Bollig has zero points all season and is dressed for the Playoffs.

Chicago must suck because they are giving up a spot on the team to have Bollig there, right?

Old
05-06-2013, 05:24 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

I agree DD, Gionta, Gally and Plex as top F are just not not going to take the Habs to the next level.

The FA route is possible, also DD & Gionta have decent market value, maybe we can build a trade around them to beef up for next year.

On D if Emelin is on track (anyone know?) for October and Tinordi starts should be okay. P61 is our softest D and he also has some trade value.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:25 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I agree DD, Gionta, Gally and Plex as top F are just not not going to take the Habs to the next level.

The FA route is possible, also DD & Gionta have decent market value, maybe we can build a trade around them to beef up for next year.

On D if Emelin is on track (anyone know?) for October and Tinordi starts should be okay. P61 is our softest D and he also has some trade value.
Tinordi needs to train with Subban in the summer so he can add muscle.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
We need to start identifying who is a part of the core and who isn't.

Re-signing Desharnais makes me question if Bergevin *really* knows who his core players are. Eller is definitely way ahead of DD on my depth chart, arguably ahead of Plekanec too. I said it in game 1 and I'll say it again:

Lars Eller is our only center built for the playoffs. Galchenyuk doesn't count yet.
For me, core: Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Prust

May become core: Eller, Tinordi, Emelin

Good supporting cast: Plek, Bourque, MaxPac, Markov, Gorges

The rest are very expandable.

For me, it's not uniquely about pure skills and talent. It's a mix of talent, size and grit, a combination that usually bring success in the playoffs -- that's my core. And these guys rarely take a night off. That's why I put MaxPac, Plek and Markov only as "supporting actors". Bourque has been great so far for us in the playoffs but I'm not sure if it just a hot-streak or something more consistent. Gorges, well, not talented enough and not gritty enough to be core.

(Of course, these things can change, e.g. MaxPac may be so injured now that he can't play his powerforward game.)

(Just regarding skaters here.)

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 05-06-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:41 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
For me, core: Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Prust

May become core: Eller, Tinordi, Emelin

Good supporting cast: Plek, Bourque, MaxPac, Markov, Gorges

The rest are very expandable.

For me, it's not uniquely about pure skills and talent. It's a mix of talent, size and grit, a combination that usually bring success in the playoffs -- that's my core. And these guys rarely take a night off. That's why I put MaxPac, Plek and Markov only as "supporting actors". Bourque has been great so far for us in the playoffs but I'm not sure if it just a hot-streak or something more consistent. Gorges, well, not talented enough and not gritty enough to be core.

(Of course, these things can change, e.g. MaxPac may be so injured now that he can't play his powerforward game.)

(Just regarding skaters here.)
I would add Markov to your list of expendables. Not because of his talent level or skill that he has.

No, he is at the point that we need to trade him to get a better return for him since he is in decline but is still performing.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:44 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I would add Markov to your list of expendables. Not because of his talent level or skill that he has.
I would consider it, but not necessarily do it. Markov is not what he used to be, but he is still a smart defenseman with years of experience which makes him a good piece for any team. But you are right, now that he is getting older he is not an untouchable.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Lions999

We need a Bordeleau type and another Prust type for next year. Bordeleau fights and hits and protects teammates. That's one player that's missing in our line up.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

For my core I'd go: Kaberle, Weber, Nokaleinen, Drewiske

Supporting cast: Halpern, Moen, St. Denis,

Habbybirthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

What we need to do is stop drafting players under 6ft and get mean tough physical forwards.
In the upcoming draft I want NO 6ft under players, except maybe Jordan Subban. BPA only if he's gritty like Gallagher. Is anyone else sick and tired of this?

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:00 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
What we need to do is stop drafting players under 6ft and get mean tough physical forwards.
In the upcoming draft I want NO 6ft under players, except maybe Jordan Subban. BPA only if he's gritty like Gallagher. Is anyone else sick and tired of this?
The draft is the correct way to go, but most of those kids are 3-4 yrs away from palying...so you have to make trades or go the UFA route, either way we end up overpaying...

But the draft is where MB knows he has to change the Habs to make them bigger...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:01 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbybirthday View Post

For my core I'd go: Kaberle, Weber, Nokaleinen, Drewiske

Supporting cast: Halpern, Moen, St. Denis,
Hardly fair considering he's the one who signed Emelin, drafted Tinordi, extended Patches and traded for Bourque.

He was saddled with Gainey's plugs, Jacques Martin's awful youth burnout (Skost, Lats, Laps, O'Byrne, Pouliot, etc.) and was followed by an immensely lucky and charismatic young GM who just fell ass-backwards into a team that was already pretty, pretty good. Said GM got Brandon Prust... and then extended Bouillon and Desharnais to unreasonable extensions.

We do need to get bigger. Starting and ending with Gionta, Bouillon and DD - three underperforming, overpaid smurfs. (Bouillon doesn't play like a smurf in terms of toughness but he has the hockey IQ of one)

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:01 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
I agree. The Canadiens have a habit of drafting small players. They obsess too much with finding the diamond in the ruff skilled forward rather than imposing physical players.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:08 PM
NewHabsEra*

Yeah extending Desharnais 4 more years was exactly what the doctors ordered.. We are stuck with that little piece of crap now..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote