HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best way for the Isles to utilize cap space in upcoming years?

Old
05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
eastonhockey22*

vCash: 500
Best way for the Isles to utilize cap space in upcoming years?

Seeing the Islanders competing with the Pens in this series while barely reaching the cap floor has me wondering what their true potential is and what kind of team they could assemble in the next few years if they didn't limit spending. So I have a challenge for the folks on this forum to keep you busy until the next playoff game.

I'd like to see what kind of team you posters could assemble in the next 3-5 years if you were made the Isles GM and weren't constrained by upper management. The only thing that would be holding you back is the actual cap ceiling. Now, i'd like this to be realistic so you can only use upcoming UFA's and resign current players. Upcoming prospects can also be incorporated but i'd like to stay away from potential trades since thats such a complicated and fickle business.

P.S. Sorry if this doesn't make anysense to you guys. Im beyond tired and might not being getting my point across clearly

eastonhockey22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post
Seeing the Islanders competing with the Pens in this series while barely reaching the cap floor has me wondering what their true potential is and what kind of team they could assemble in the next few years if they didn't limit spending. So I have a challenge for the folks on this forum to keep you busy until the next playoff game.

I'd like to see what kind of team you posters could assemble in the next 3-5 years if you were made the Isles GM and weren't constrained by upper management. The only thing that would be holding you back is the actual cap ceiling. Now, i'd like this to be realistic so you can only use upcoming UFA's and resign current players. Upcoming prospects can also be incorporated but i'd like to stay away from potential trades since thats such a complicated and fickle business.

P.S. Sorry if this doesn't make anysense to you guys. Im beyond tired and might not being getting my point across clearly

You are not fooling anyone Garth!!! We all know it is you trying to get advice for the offseason.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:52 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post

The UFA lists for this summer aren't very rich. That's the problem, we pretty much need to trade for our top two needs.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:20 PM
startainfection*

goaltenders and young vets with playoff expierence

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

The best way to utilize our cap space, is to pick up a ton of guys off waivers, play unproven rookies and toll Tim Thomas' contract so we can reach the floor.

Backhand of Justice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:36 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
UFA's I'd like to see in an Isles jersey:

David Clarkson
Matt Cullen
Derek Roy
Ryan Clowe
Viktor Stalberg
Matt Hendricks
Pascal Dupuis
Nathan Horton
Ray Emery

Let our UFA's go minus Streit. Signing a few of them will add to the cap.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
UFA's I'd like to see in an Isles jersey:

David Clarkson
Matt Cullen
Derek Roy
Ryan Clowe
Viktor Stalberg
Matt Hendricks
Pascal Dupuis
Nathan Horton
Ray Emery

Let our UFA's go minus Streit. Signing a few of them will add to the cap.
Streit needs to go. He's had a fine 5 years here (minus the injured season), but his time his up honestly. Feel like dude has lost a step and he's turned into a black hole on defense.

Backhand of Justice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:25 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Streit needs to go. He's had a fine 5 years here (minus the injured season), but his time his up honestly. Feel like dude has lost a step and he's turned into a black hole on defense.
Once again, totally disagree. He's no more of a liability than Visnovsky and at least Streit can use the body if need be. With defenseman anywhere remotely close to Streit's ability so hard to get and costing so much, the Isles would be foolish to not resign him. If you don't think he's been part of the Isles success you are smoking a fat one...

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Bexlyspeed

the cap is going down, there might be a few really good players we can acquire through trade for a discounted price from teams that need to trim the payroll.
we need a couple of D-men and at least one winger to play with Tavares. and another decent Goalie

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:41 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Once again, totally disagree. He's no more of a liability than Visnovsky and at least Streit can use the body if need be. With defenseman anywhere remotely close to Streit's ability so hard to get and costing so much, the Isles would be foolish to not resign him. If you don't think he's been part of the Isles success you are smoking a fat one...
I agree and disagree on Streit. Is Street contributing and has he contributed to the success this season? Sure absolutely. But is he worth the cost in dollars and years? In my opinion, no and its not close.

I think Viz has better legs and can last longer on shifts before he's used up. Doesn't get out of position as much as streit.

Street and carkner as a third pairing CAN work, but when they get caught up against a top 2 scoring line its almost a guaranteed penalty or goal, and the islanders were victims of this again yesterday. The liability is too great especially for the cost in dollars associated with it.

Their money is vest spent resigning all core players that come up for contract the next few seasons. The islanders strength is its depth and its base, they need to retain it.

3 needs, a power forward for Tavares. A true #1defenseman (more of a physical defensive presence than anything else ex: Seabrook) and a #1 goalie. Nabby is nice and I'll take him back for sure but at some point to get to the next level a newer, younger, better goalie will be required.

I wouldn't want to fill these needs via UFA as you have to overpay which will cist you players in the long run anyway by not being able to resign them. I prefer trading from depth.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:01 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
The best way to utilize our cap space, is to pick up a ton of guys off waivers, play unproven rookies and toll Tim Thomas' contract so we can reach the floor.
The Isles don't play rookies. Not anymore at least.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:32 AM
bigd

Nabby has been good this year but in order to take this team to the next level we need a real #1 goalie.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Moulstache

I wouldn't mind seeing Streit going. He's quickly becoming a liability. Nabby's been clutch (regular season), but if the option is there I'd like to see us pursue Jonathan Bernier.. If not, I can see them letting Nabby give it a go for another year while the kids (Nilsson & Poulin) continue to get experience and truly NHL ready.

Another scoring threat would be fantastic (see Bobby Ryan).

Moulstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:39 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

If there is a way to get Jonathan Bernier playing goal here, we should make it happen. No disrespect to Nabby, love what he's done this year but at the most he's got another 2 years left in the tank. We really need to think about getting a goalie that we won't have to worry about for the next 5-7 years. IMO that can be Bernier.

Already re-signing Viz as an offensive defenseman, I would consider Ian White as an option....Don't think he will cost a ton (3.5 for 3 years) and is a big solid stay at home defenseman. Also on the defensive front I would entertain a buy-low situation on Matt Gilroy. He's been horrible for the Rag$ but he did have potential coming out of college and I think the Rag$ rushing him didn't help at all.

As far as the winger for JT is concerned, I believe this winger is in our system already. If you look at who I wouldn't want to give up right now and are NHL players now or 1 year away (JT, Neilson, Bailey, Okposo, Nino, Strome, Nelson, Martin, Cizikas) that's 9 forwards without counting Moulson who I don't think is going anywhere. So if I'm the GM I focus on defense and goalie and let the offense develope...As it is offense now is not our problem, its keeping it out of our net.

EDIT: I'm not saying for the right price I wouldn't trade some of these players for a top end winger but I wouldn't empty the wallet on anyone in the market right now.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Fantom

The cap is going down right ?
I think there will be a few teams that will shed some players. However most of the teams that shed will shed stuff most do not want.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
If there is a way to get Jonathan Bernier playing goal here, we should make it happen. No disrespect to Nabby, love what he's done this year but at the most he's got another 2 years left in the tank. We really need to think about getting a goalie that we won't have to worry about for the next 5-7 years. IMO that can be Bernier.

EDIT: I'm not saying for the right price I wouldn't trade some of these players for a top end winger but I wouldn't empty the wallet on anyone in the market right now.
I think the question is how much money does nabby want i would keep him for 2 years and then draft fucale. Bernier is gonna cost Nino which i wouldnt give up for a goalie if i didnt have too. I would give up poulin and the first rounder for bernier but i dont think thats enough.

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Moulstache

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post

Already re-signing Viz as an offensive defenseman, I would consider Ian White as an option....Don't think he will cost a ton (3.5 for 3 years) and is a big solid stay at home defenseman. Also on the defensive front I would entertain a buy-low situation on Matt Gilroy. He's been horrible for the Rag$ but he did have potential coming out of college and I think the Rag$ rushing him didn't help at all.

As far as the winger for JT is concerned, I believe this winger is in our system already. If you look at who I wouldn't want to give up right now and are NHL players now or 1 year away (JT, Neilson, Bailey, Okposo, Nino, Strome, Nelson, Martin, Cizikas) that's 9 forwards without counting Moulson who I don't think is going anywhere. So if I'm the GM I focus on defense and goalie and let the offense develope...As it is offense now is not our problem, its keeping it out of our net.

I agree with the majority of this... I couldn't argue giving up any of the young talent for a guy like Bobby Ryan. He's still young (26) and is a proven NHL power forward. The only headache would be the money that he's probably going to command in the off-season. I think he'd work lovely with JT.

Moulstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
John TavArt Ross

The #1 goalie is a must, as well as a true #1 Defender ..(big stay at home) are the main priorities. The KO has stepped up, he might now be that #1 RW that JT needs.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:55 AM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by John TavArt Ross View Post
The #1 goalie is a must, as well as a true #1 Defender ..(big stay at home) are the main priorities. The KO has stepped up, he might now be that #1 RW that JT needs.
Wish he played like this when we had him playing next to Tavares.

Anyway, I agree with the assessment here: make a play for Bernier or kick the tires on some teams with decent goaltending in the pipeline, bother teams with cap problems. Probably let Streit go because him getting 5 mil on the second and third year is going to look ugly.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Poliz24

The main priority is replacing Nabby, whenever he leaves. We should be focusing on goalie and all the cap issues of signing who we need for that position. The second priority, is getting a winger for JT. It might not be have to be too expensive if we let our own guys come up. I think our bottom two lines are good, but wouldn't mind adding a 1st line winger and second line center, whether it be from FAs or our prospects, but once again our prospects will be cheaper and probably have better chemistry with the current guys. As for our defensemen, we drafted 7 last year. Let's let them develop more, I think we have another mainstay with either Hickey or Strait. Don't forget Donovan either. Let's spend, but let's be smart and calculated.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:56 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
the cap is going down, there might be a few really good players we can acquire through trade for a discounted price from teams that need to trim the payroll.
we need a couple of D-men and at least one winger to play with Tavares. and another decent Goalie
Anton Khudobin would be the perfect goalie for the Isles to sign. Offer more than everyone else, he's a 26 year old goalie who is ready to break out. 2.03 career GA and a .933 career Save Percentage in the NHL. Add in a 14-5 record. Sure that's with the Bruins, BUT, even if you add the Isles D would probably add .50 goals a game more to his average, that would still be a 2.58 GA.

Add Khudobin, a solid D-man, and maybe another winger, and this team might be dangerous. Reminder, Khudobin is 26, not 105 like all the other goalies we sign. Even if we re-sign Nabby for a year, he's be a great mentor for Khudobin.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:22 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I agree and disagree on Streit. Is Street contributing and has he contributed to the success this season? Sure absolutely. But is he worth the cost in dollars and years? In my opinion, no and its not close.

I think Viz has better legs and can last longer on shifts before he's used up. Doesn't get out of position as much as streit.

Street and carkner as a third pairing CAN work, but when they get caught up against a top 2 scoring line its almost a guaranteed penalty or goal, and the islanders were victims of this again yesterday. The liability is too great especially for the cost in dollars associated with it.

Their money is vest spent resigning all core players that come up for contract the next few seasons. The islanders strength is its depth and its base, they need to retain it.

3 needs, a power forward for Tavares. A true #1defenseman (more of a physical defensive presence than anything else ex: Seabrook) and a #1 goalie. Nabby is nice and I'll take him back for sure but at some point to get to the next level a newer, younger, better goalie will be required.

I wouldn't want to fill these needs via UFA as you have to overpay which will cist you players in the long run anyway by not being able to resign them. I prefer trading from depth.
I urge you to really look closely at the difference between the two players and why you think Streit is more of a liability. Here is an example:

Scenario 1 with Streit: The puck is dumped in and both the forward and Streit are side by side. It's a 50/50 battle for the puck on the boards. Streit will go in hard, take the body, and try to freeze up the puck for another player to come along or try to work the puck out. Sometimes, as with all defenseman the puck takes a good bounce in the forwards favor and Streit gets burned, or gets man handled. The majority of the time it just leads to board work.

Scenario 2 with Vis: The puck is dumped in and both the forward and Visnovsky are side by side. It's a 50/50 battle for the puck on the boards. Vis will pull up and try to get a stick in there and knock the puck away. Most of the time the forward will win the puck because he went in with his body, shielded it, and starts a cycle. Sometimes Vis will win the puck on a slick stick check. Many times he will just start chasing the forward because he never got the body on him and gave up an easy battle. It allows him to not look like he got burned, but it puts an awful lot of stress on the whole unit to now try to take back puck possession.

So why can Vis last longer? Obviously he doesn't take the body that's why. He's a "soft" defenseman in that he tries to take the non physical route. It makes you look less of a liability but in actuality, you are not as valuable.

If you watch one game you will see this happen over and over. It's not an anomaly.

As far as money is concerned. All defenseman are overpaid and too many of us have started talking like Wang...

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:17 PM
BKIsles

We should roll the dice on Ryan Whitney. Despite our success this year, I highly doubt we can attract any legit free agents. We should try to get him on the very cheap for two years, see if he has anything left in the tank. I think he could be a decent stop-gap for Reinhart, Mayfield, etc.

BKIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:19 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKIsles View Post
We should roll the dice on Ryan Whitney. Despite our success this year, I highly doubt we can attract any legit free agents. We should try to get him on the very cheap for two years, see if he has anything left in the tank. I think he could be a decent stop-gap for Reinhart, Mayfield, etc.
Yuck, Ryan Whitney is done. I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:18 PM
bstash19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I urge you to really look closely at the difference between the two players and why you think Streit is more of a liability. Here is an example:

Scenario 1 with Streit: The puck is dumped in and both the forward and Streit are side by side. It's a 50/50 battle for the puck on the boards. Streit will go in hard, take the body, and try to freeze up the puck for another player to come along or try to work the puck out. Sometimes, as with all defenseman the puck takes a good bounce in the forwards favor and Streit gets burned, or gets man handled. The majority of the time it just leads to board work..
in the real world scenario, the forward skates past streit and gets the puck.

bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote