HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Mock Draft

View Poll Results: Who does Calgary Select 6th Overall?
Elias Lindholm 57 89.06%
Valeri Nichushkin 3 4.69%
Darnell Nurse 0 0%
Nikita Zadorov 0 0%
Rasmus Ristolainen 0 0%
Zach Fucale 0 0%
Hunter Shinkaruk 2 3.13%
Bo Horvat 0 0%
Kerby Rychel 1 1.56%
Max Domi 0 0%
Ryan Pulock 0 0%
Anthony Mantha 1 1.56%
Valentin Zykov 0 0%
Ryan Hartman 0 0%
Curtis Lazar 0 0%
Adam Erne 0 0%
Alexander Wennberg 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-05-2013, 09:01 PM
-DeMo-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
HF Mock Draft

greetings Flames fans, I've thought a cool idea for this draft would be to do a mock draft by going through each team forum in order of there pick in the first round and poll who they would take. whoever gets the most votes gets picked. and is taken off the list for the next team. with the 5th overall pick Carolina took Monahan with the other results just below. I'm hoping that by going through each team's forum I would get a better idea of who there team might select since those fans should know the most about there teams, so given the circumstances who would Calgary select 6th overall?

Picks so Far:

Avalanche: Seth Jones
Panthers: Nathan Mackinnon
Lightning: Jonathon Drouin
Predators: Aleksander Barkov
Hurricanes: Sean Monahan

after I go through all 30 picks of the first round I will post the results in the prospect section.

I also ask that I'm looking to poll Flames fans so if your not a Carolina fan and just browsing I ask that you refrain from voting thanks.

also Mods I realize you guys have a prospects thread but this type of thing needs to be done in a poll so I ask that you don't delete/merge the thread to allow me to continue thanks.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Lindholm will win in a landslide

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Ashasx

The choice here is easy for both the fans and management.

Feaster better run up to the podium and yell Lindholm as quickly as he can.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

I want Monahan, but unless Feaster doesn't take one of Monahan, Lindholm, Nurse, Ristolainen, Nichuskin or Shinkurak, I won't be too mad.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Lindholm.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Pretty easy choice.

I think there's a chance the Lightening take Barkov, and then subsequently look to move Lecavalier while Drouin slides to the Predators. But other than that, I don't see much chance of a surprise coming in the first six picks of the draft. Although granted, there's still two months until then.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:48 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Hmm.. So I am the only one who wants to take the risk on Nicuskins upside? He has everything you want in a player: size, speed, hands, intensity. If he was Joe Johnson from Nova Scotia we would be all over him. A 1 year opt out from the KHL means he will likely be overseas as quickly as Lindholm, who is no question a talented player but would you take a Niklas Backstrom or David Krejci over Evgeni Malkin?

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
Hmm.. So I am the only one who wants to take the risk on Nicuskins upside? He has everything you want in a player: size, speed, hands, intensity. If he was Joe Johnson from Nova Scotia we would be all over him. A 1 year opt out from the KHL means he will likely be overseas as quickly as Lindholm, who is no question a talented player but would you take a Niklas Backstrom or David Krejci over Evgeni Malkin?
Except Nichushkin's primarily a winger and the comparisons to Malkin are stretching things. If his upside was truly that high, he'd be considered for first overall regardless of transfer concerns.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:08 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Except Nichushkin's primarily a winger and the comparisons to Malkin are stretching things. If his upside was truly that high, he'd be considered for first overall regardless of transfer concerns.
ISS has him ranked second to Jones. Ahead of Mackinnon and Drouin.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:54 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Nope, but everyone has talked themselves into believing that "best player available" excludes Russians and non-centres.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 04:02 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
The red flags aren't worth it. He will be the next Radulov. It is already said he wants to defect from the KHL because he was traded, is that a guy you want to risk a potentially franchise changing draft pick on? I sure as **** don't. I wouldn't even touch him with any of our picks.

Quote:
And in 2012 the ISS top 30 in the Final rankings had......

Filip Forsberg #2, drafted 11th
Mikhail Grigorenko #4, drafted 12th
Teuvo Teravainen #9, drafted 18th
Brendan Gaunce #11, drafted 26th
Olli Maata #12, drafted 22nd
Sebastien Collberg #13, drafted 33rd
Alex Galchenyuk #14, drafted 3rd
Nicolas Kerdiles #15, drafted 36th
Matt Finn #18, drafted 35th
Hampus Lindholm #19, drafted 6th
Pontus Aberg #20, drafted 37th
Slater Koekkoek #21, drafted 10th
Derrick Pouliot #22, drafted 8th
Colton Sissons #25, drafted 50th
Dalton Thrower #28, drafted 51st
Adam Pelech #30, drafted 66th

The funny thing I was expecting to point out Galchenyuk & Grigerenko, but as I kept going their list became even more of a joke.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:17 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Nope, but everyone has talked themselves into believing that "best player available" excludes Russians and non-centres.

The best player available =/= most skilled player available. If someone wants to take a risk on a player who already has red flag that is their prerogative, but I do not want the Flames to do that.

I can't find the link right now but I remember a quote from a scout saying he was the stereotypical selfish Russian. The has was 1 dimensional and would berate his teammates when times were tough.

Why on earth would you pick a player like that over a guy like Lindholm or Monahan who project to be very good offensively and defensively without the red flags of being a potential cancer and defector?

Old
05-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Noori

vCash: 700
The cancer/defector part doesn't bother me. The not a natural center part is what bothers me. Championship teams are built down the middle; we need a top-flight center.

If we had a potential first-line center prospect (not Jankowski lol), I think I might go with Nichushkin as well.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:06 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
The red flags aren't worth it. He will be the next Radulov. It is already said he wants to defect from the KHL because he was traded, is that a guy you want to risk a potentially franchise changing draft pick on? I sure as **** don't. I wouldn't even touch him with any of our picks.

And in 2012 the ISS top 30 in the Final rankings had......

Filip Forsberg #2, drafted 11th
Mikhail Grigorenko #4, drafted 12th
Teuvo Teravainen #9, drafted 18th
Brendan Gaunce #11, drafted 26th
Olli Maata #12, drafted 22nd
Sebastien Collberg #13, drafted 33rd
Alex Galchenyuk #14, drafted 3rd
Nicolas Kerdiles #15, drafted 36th
Matt Finn #18, drafted 35th
Hampus Lindholm #19, drafted 6th
Pontus Aberg #20, drafted 37th
Slater Koekkoek #21, drafted 10th
Derrick Pouliot #22, drafted 8th
Colton Sissons #25, drafted 50th
Dalton Thrower #28, drafted 51st
Adam Pelech #30, drafted 66th

The funny thing I was expecting to point out Galchenyuk & Grigerenko, but as I kept going their list became even more of a joke.
Yep. ISS is usually way off, and having said that though, last years draft was one of the weakest in recent memory. This draft seems to have a much better top end, and there has not been a lot of jostling in position in this years draft like there was last year.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Ashasx

Nichushkin is already set to make $10M over the next two years as an 18 and 19 year old. After that, he'll probably get something like $7.5M per. ELCs in the NHL just can't compete with that. He's already had trouble with his KHL team for Christ's sake. This is your prototypical Russian hockey player.

I won't be surprised if he never comes over. Hell, I won't be surprised if he falls out of the first round.

And even if he does, I don't want my prospect "developing" in the KHL. It's a selfish league.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:47 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 862
Quote:
Calgary is in no place to take a risk. We did in last years draft.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:55 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Calgary is in no place to take a risk. We did in last years draft.
Exactly. This isn't a year where we need to take a risk either, to get a great player.

One of Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm will be there for us to pick. High, high end players that fill a huge need for this club.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
The ISS is pretty much the only scouting service that has him ranked that high. McKenzie's poll of scouts had him 5th, but one scout mentioned he wouldn't even draft him until 10th.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Nichushkin is already set to make $10M over the next two years as an 18 and 19 year old. After that, he'll probably get something like $7.5M per. ELCs in the NHL just can't compete with that. He's already had trouble with his KHL team for Christ's sake. This is your prototypical Russian hockey player.

I won't be surprised if he never comes over. Hell, I won't be surprised if he falls out of the first round.

And even if he does, I don't want my prospect "developing" in the KHL. It's a selfish league.
This is just the Russian stigma at work again. That "trouble" he had, was him being unhappy at being sold to another team like a piece of meat. People keep wanting natural centres, but its not like we dont have 2 more picks in the 1st round. We lack 3 things: size, speed, and skill and this kid has got it. If he interviews well and it sounds like he will come over I would be ecstatic to take him at 6.

Btw. I guarantee he wont fall out of the top 10.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:12 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
This is just the Russian stigma at work again. That "trouble" he had, was him being unhappy at being sold to another team like a piece of meat. People keep wanting natural centres, but its not like we dont have 2 more picks in the 1st round. We lack 3 things: size, speed, and skill and this kid has got it. If he interviews well and it sounds like he will come over I would be ecstatic to take him at 6.

Most people would have said the same thing about Grigorenko. The Russian factor is a real factor.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Ashasx

You can probably move on to the Oilers.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 1411
Looks like we have 3 traitors in our midsts! 2 Nichushkin & 1 Shinkaruk.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Backlund

Who the **** is trying to take Anthony Mantha 6th overall?

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Backlund

Quote:

I really hope he does. Nichuskin at 6th wouldn't make me very happy. Nichuskin at around 16th is another story

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:32 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I'm not the most familiar with Carolina's squad but given the Staals, Skinner and Ruutu do they really need another center?

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote