HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

and the Calder goes to.... [UPDATE: Post #237 Nail Not Nominated]

Old
05-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It bothers me that Bob McKenzie is defending these nominations on Twitter. He seems to think that the biggest injustice is Brodin's snub. Ridiculous.
I think BobbyMac is right.

Brodin had a much bigger impact and better performance than Yak did. First pairing minutes for a defender - is huge. Compare what Brodin did to how overwhlemed Justin Schultz looks.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:02 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

Brodin had a much bigger impact and better performance than Yak did. First pairing minutes for a defender - is huge. Compare what Brodin did to how overwhlemed Justin Schultz looks.
Compare what Suter did to how overwhelmed Nick Schultz looks.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:

Did Yeo have some kind of a crackpot d-zone system? Also of note is that Brodin had significant time off due to injury to recharge his batteries. Schultz was flat out spent this season.

05-06-2013, 05:04 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Compare playing with Ryan Suter instead of Nick Schultz.

And overwhelmed is a reach. A 46 point pace for a rookie D is pretty good.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Compare what Suter did to how overwhelmed Nick Schultz looks.
Yup, still doesn't matter. Schultzes were not taking first line opposition like Suter and Brodin, and they were still getting killed out there.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Yup, still doesn't matter. Schultzes were not taking first line opposition like Suter and Brodin, and they were still getting killed out there.
Not comparing the two, but I'm sure that MAB faced the top opposition when he was paired up with Pronger too. The bottom line is that having a Norris finalist as your partner will make you better whether you're Corey Potter or Shea Weber.

Not to mention we kept hearing how N. Schultz <<<<< Gilbert and that is the guy that was stapled to J. Schultz' hip all year long. Personally I think that fatigue and the Krueger crackpot system took its toll on all of our D this season.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Ragss

Lets not forget that J Schultz looked pretty good defensively in the AHL and the first 10 games or so with the Oilers. Both his offense and defense dropped off a cliff mid way through the season. He was getting nailed out there, too, which is either because he's been scouted by the other teams or he just lost his upper level ability to dodge checks, just like he didn't score for forever.

I think he is going to live up to that hype eventually.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Lets not forget that J Schultz looked pretty good defensively in the AHL and the first 10 games or so with the Oilers. Both his offense and defense dropped off a cliff mid way through the season. He was getting nailed out there, too, which is either because he's been scouted by the other teams or he just lost his upper level ability to dodge checks, just like he didn't score for forever.

I think he is going to live up to that hype eventually.
The kid was worn down. He went from a short schedule to playing a ton in the AHL to then facing the compressed schedule of the NHL and a new system that had even long time vets like N. Schultz getting burned with regularity.

Brodin played 54 regular season games this year while Schultz played 82. That's nearly 30 games difference.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

vCash: 50
Lol if Schultz was on the Panthers he would of been nominated over Huberdeau , point blank Oiler scribe haters > legit non biased scribes. Who really cares though we have Schultz and Yak and other fan bases will be drooling in a couple of years dreaming they were on their team book it.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:11 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

If Gallagher doesn't win this award it's a travesty.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Spawn

Not a surprise. Still a joke that Huberdeau gets a nod and Yakupov doesn't. But then again these are the same writers who gave the same award to Landeskog because he shot the puck a **** tonne last year.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 210
Quote:

What? How do you think Brodin would look on this team, or Schultz playing with Suter?

This "first pairing" nonsense has to stop. Its like he is playing above Duncan Keith or Brent Seabrook or something. If you can name the bottom four of the Wild's defense without looking it up I will be impressed.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:43 PM
JaredCowenFan
The Next Bergeron

Joke as all there **** is.

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:57 PM
jbean

What should the nominations have been? Brodin, Gallagher, and Yakupov? Whatever the case, we may have lost out on the calder three years in a row, but we could very well end up with the best player from the draft three years in a row. Just imagine if we ended up with Stefan, Dipietro, and Nash with our first overalls.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
What should the nominations have been? Brodin, Gallagher, and Yakupov?
Yeah I think that looks like how it should have been.

I think Gallagher should win it.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
jaydubya

Yak was coming on very strong at the end of the season (both offensively and defensively) and I have no doubt that he would have made a much better case for the Calder had this been a full slate of games.

If anything I hope that getting overlooked for this recognition lights a fire under Yakapov and he comes back next year ready to make everyone who overlooked him take notice. There is a reason this kid went number one in last year's draft.

jaydubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Mr Sakich

This snub is the best argument for dual trophy winners this yea, one for the east, one for the west

It is obvious that the majority of hockey writers located in the east did not watch the west enough to make an informed decision. The same could be said for western voters except they could watch eastern games prior to watching their home team.

It is too bad yakupov didn't force their decision. IMO, he was the best rookie but it was not be enough to overcome the eastern bias

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:34 PM
17Kurri

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
If Gallagher doesn't win this award it's a travesty.
Over Huberdeau and Saad? Sure I can agree with that.

But the real tragedy is that Brodin and Yak didn't get nominations over any two of the three that did.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:38 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Over Huberdeau and Saad? Sure I can agree with that.

But the real tragedy is that Brodin and Yak didn't get nominations over any two of the three that did.
Oh I agree entirely. Just more east coast bias.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:01 PM
JetsOilersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I would have picked Schultz over Saad-- but Saad had a solid year

Oiler fans suffer sometimes from short term memory-- Yakupov did not do his damage until april--there were two months were due to how he was handled he did not lit the stat sheet up
That's why Hemsky has to go. He did his damage when #1 he played top 6 and #2 he played RIGHT WING

We have 3 top 6 RW's and only two spots. Hemsky has to go, even if he's bought out, it would be addition by subtraction

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:54 PM
MetaOil1993

I find it funny that Huberdeau got nominated over Yak

Should have been Gallagher, Yak and Brodin for the 3 finalists......

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:01 PM
shogun99

I don't get it. Up until last year I always thought that the Calder went to the player that scored the most points, but at least the point leader always got nominated. Then last year I learned that the Calder winner was all about intangibles, like GP, +/-, TOI, etc. So this year we had the guy that was first in goals, tied for first in points, played a full season, had one of the lowest TOI, threw body checks, had a respectable +/- on a bad team, was amongst the leaders in even strength points, GW goals; even though he was on a losing team, PP points, and was one of the youngest rookies. Also, lets not forget about the rookie defenceman that was 12th amongst all defenceman in scoring, had more points then one of the forward nominees as a friggin defenceman, and had 11 more points then his closest rookie defenceman competitor.

So we know that voting isn't about points or intangibles anymore. Is voting now based on playing on a division leading team, being a late pick and showing hustle? I'm so confused now.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:

Not that they are the same player, but MAB looked like a HELL of a defenseman with Pronger.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Not that they are the same player, but MAB looked like a HELL of a defenseman with Pronger.
And Barrett Jackman won a rookie of the year award over Rick Nash and Hendrik Zetterberg from playing with Pronger.

Brodin is overrated for the exact same reason

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
And Barrett Jackman won a rookie of the year award over Rick Nash and Hendrik Zetterberg from playing with Pronger.

Brodin is overrated for the exact same reason
Yup, there really isn't a doubt, but the Calder this year has just been stupid, they should have given it to Fasth if they were going to give it to an "off the board" pick, or Holtby(because they would have seen him before going to bed), is he still eligible?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote