HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 11:05 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Barrie won 6-3 tonight. Stolarz stopped 23 of 28. Barrie up 2-1 in the series.
Bust!

Old
05-06-2013, 11:15 PM
RussianRocket10

Since when was Barrie this good?

Old
05-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Krishna

More Taylor Leier

Old
05-07-2013, 02:01 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Bust!
SERIOUSLY A bust? Give your head a shake.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Flip your sarcasm detector on, please.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

.... But yes, Stolarz isn't ready for the NHL next season and has plenty of room for improvement. The entire Knights team has looked "off" defensively the last couple of series.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:17 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
He gave up 5 goals!! In one game! He's done.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
RoDu

Quote:
as if...

Old
05-07-2013, 05:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
He gave up 5 goals!! In one game! He's done.
He should just change his name to Bryzgalov because that is about how big of a disappointing blunder he has been.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:49 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

.... But yes, Stolarz isn't ready for the NHL next season and has plenty of room for improvement. The entire Knights team has looked "off" defensively the last couple of series.
Stolarz isn't going to be ready for another 3 seasons, minimum. Anyone wanting to rush him into Philadelphia early will kill this kid's career. He's come along real well in London and he'll probably be there next season and then two seasons in the AHL. I don't see the Flyers rushing him along at all. If people are patient, he will be well worth the wait.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:58 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Taylor Leier picked up a goal and an assist in a 3-1 win over Edmonton. Portland up 2-1 in the series.

Baie-Comeau beat Halifax 3-1. Halifax leads the series 2-1.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Barrie won 6-4 tonight. Stolarz stopped 20 of 25. Barrie leads the series 3-1 now.

Halifax won 7-4 tonight. Straka picked up a goal and an assist. Halifax leads the series 3-1 now.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:07 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Barrie won 6-4. Stolarz let in 5 goals on 25 shots. From twitter accounts he didnt look too good. Their defense has been pretty bad lately, but he is barely seeing 25 shots a game and supposedly let in a softy or two.

EDIT: damn was beat haha

Old
05-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Stolarz isn't going to be ready for another 3 seasons, minimum. Anyone wanting to rush him into Philadelphia early will kill this kid's career. He's come along real well in London and he'll probably be there next season and then two seasons in the AHL. I don't see the Flyers rushing him along at all. If people are patient, he will be well worth the wait.
I am with you on that one. Let him fine tune his skills and get some games under his belt. No need to rush him.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Have we ever drafted someone his size and speed as a goalie before?

Old
05-08-2013, 11:04 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I think I'm too subtle. Am I too subtle? Yeah, I think so. Maybe I should be more direct. Stop the subtlety and just come out and post exactly what I mean.

Oh, and use smilies.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:15 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Portland won 2-1 last night. They now lead the series 3-1.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:42 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Have we ever drafted someone his size and speed as a goalie before?
Stolarz is 6'5". Last Flyers goalie draft pick that was close was probably Pelletier at 6'3".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
If people are patient, he will be well worth the wait
Which is what people said about Boucher, Pelletier and Ouellet.

Simply put, there is no way to say with such confidence that a 18 year old goalie will be "well worth the wait". Sure he could turn out to be the team's goalie of the future, but the odds are that he will be the next Boucher, Pelletier or Ouellet.

Not to mention that I have absolutely no faith that this team will ever draft and then develop a goaltender properly.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:13 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Stolarz is 6'5". Last Flyers goalie draft pick that was close was probably Pelletier at 6'3".

Simply put, there is no way to say with such confidence that a 18 year old goalie will be "well worth the wait". Sure he could turn out to be the team's goalie of the future, but the odds are that he will be the next Boucher, Pelletier or Ouellet.

Not to mention that I have absolutely no faith that this team will ever draft and then develop a goaltender properly.
Oh! So he's a bust because a couple goaltenders drafted 15 years ago busted. Gotcha.

Also: we develop him by letting London develop him.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:38 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Oh! So he's a bust because a couple goaltenders drafted 15 years ago busted. Gotcha.

Also: we develop him by letting London develop him.
Those were the last 3 high draft picks who were supposed to be the goalie of the future and none panned out. Since then you've seen Beauchemin, Houle, Duchesne and a bunch of others that could barely play in the AHL.

Let him develop in London? Ok, how'd that work out for 3rd round draft pick Adam Morrison, 5th round draft pick Nicola Riopel (who many on this board were gung ho over based on his fantastic numbers in juniors which translated into 22 games in the AHL with a GAA over 3.35) and 3rd round pick Jacob DeSerres (now playing at the University of Calgary)?

It's great that so many are excited about a local kid who is a goaltending prospect, but forgive me if I have no faith that this organization can draft, let alone develop, a goalie.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Those were the last 3 high draft picks who were supposed to be the goalie of the future and none panned out. Since then you've seen Beauchemin, Houle, Duchesne and a bunch of others that could barely play in the AHL.

Let him develop in London? Ok, how'd that work out for 3rd round draft pick Adam Morrison, 5th round draft pick Nicola Riopel (who many on this board were gung ho over based on his fantastic numbers in juniors which translated into 22 games in the AHL with a GAA over 3.35) and 3rd round pick Jacob DeSerres (now playing at the University of Calgary)?

It's great that so many are excited about a local kid who is a goaltending prospect, but forgive me if I have no faith that this organization can draft, let alone develop, a goalie.

You seem to by implying that the problem with those guys was their development, rather than a lack of talent.

Stolarz is far from a sure thing. Pretty much every drafted goalie is a question mark. But he has a combination of size and natural athleticism that seems far superior to the other recently drafted players. No reason not to get excited about that, as long as people recognize that goalies are a crapshoot.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

I agree with this. Goaltenders are so difficult to project when they are that far out. How many times have guys dominated prior to getting to the NHL, then are never heard from again once they make the NHL? Look at all the goalies taken in the first round that never (or rarely) play in the NHL at even a consistent level.

2000: DiPietro, Brent Krahn
2001: Dan Blackburn, Pascale LeClaire, Jason Bachishuahahahaha, Adam Munro
2002: Lehtonen, Ward, Hannu Toivenen
2003: MAF
2004: Al Montoya, Devan Dubnyk, Marek Schwartz, Cory Schneider
2005: Rask
2006: Bernier, Riku Helenius, Varlamov, Leland Irving
2007: -
2008: Chet Pickard, Thomas McCollum
2009: -
2010: Jack Campbell, Mark Visentin
2011: -
2012: Andrei Vasilevski, Subban

Since 2000, only six (DiPietro, Lehtonen, Ward, MAF, Rask, Varlamov) first rounders are regular NHLers that are really making an impact at this point (seven if you count Bernier). LeClaire was at one point, but he fizzled. Montoya and Dubnyk are around but aren't really doing anything. Campbell doesn't look like anything special in the AHL. I don't really know much about Visentin TBH. Obviously the 2012 guys it is too early to tell. Basically what I am saying is that trying to project these guys is way too difficult. I would not pencil in Stolarz as any sort of long-term solution until he actually plays in the NHL. I don't care how much he rips up the OHL or even the AHL.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:13 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
You seem to by implying that the problem with those guys was their development, rather than a lack of talent.

Stolarz is far from a sure thing. Pretty much every drafted goalie is a question mark. But he has a combination of size and natural athleticism that seems far superior to the other recently drafted players. No reason not to get excited about that, as long as people recognize that goalies are a crapshoot.
Unfortunately none of us can truly differentiate between whether those drafted had the talent and didn't develop (fault of the coaching staff) or didn't have the talent to begin with (fault of the scouts). However, the fact that this team gave away the frontrunner for this season's Vezina confirms that they don't have a clue when it comes to goaltending.

I agree with you 100% about every drafted goalie is a question mark. However, I can't get excited about a goaltending prospect any more. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me me a dozen times? What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:20 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Oulette was a bust from the start. Bernie Parent hated him and told the Flyers to dump him. JMP had attitude issues. Boucher has over 300 games at the NHL level so you can't call him a busr.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Psuhockey

Stolarz might bust or he might become great. Nobody will know until he hits the NHL, which is a long ways away. Having a couple of bad games and seeing how he responds is actual good for his development. Regardless, the Flyers should choose another goaltender in the draft this year, and every year for that matter. I hoping for Eamon McAdam this year and just praying he doesn't get drafted by Pittsburgh.

Closed Thread