HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Serge Savard:We need to get bigger

Old
05-07-2013, 12:02 AM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Serge Savard: "A" is the first letter of the alphabet.
In 196869, his second full NHL season, Serge Savard led the Canadiens to a second consecutive Stanley Cup win, becoming the first defencemen to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoffs' most valuable player. In seventeen seasons with the Canadiens, Savard played on eight Stanley Cup championship teams: 1968, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1979.

In 1986 and 1993, Serge Savard was the general manager of the Stanley Cup Champion Montreal Canadiens.

And you mock Serge Savard why?

You might win a hockey game on your Playstation. Serge Savard did it for real.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
That was just unfortunate. It was an incidental knee on knee hit. Did you expect Emelin to stay on his skates and not go down with a torn ligament in his knee?
I'm just saying he's not this big, intimidating devastator. He's not even Komisarek as far as the physicality.

I don't think we should put our hopes and dreams in this guy to be this physical presence that intimidates.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Can you explain with your GM hat on how you would have turned this team around in one year? Thanks
Oh, I'm no GM. There's glaring weaknesses on this team, and it was not addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I'm just saying he's not this big, intimidating devastator. He's not even Komisarek as far as the physicality.
You're wrong. Not fighting =/= not being intimidating.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Oh, I'm no GM. There's glaring weaknesses on this team, and it was not addressed.

You're wrong. Not fighting =/= not being intimidating.
Intimidation is the whole package. Not everybody can be a Kronwall that manages to not fight with the big hits. Most of the time the guys that hits a lot will have to answer for it cause they get into other teams' nerves. Case in point, the beating he took against Chara.

I like what Emelin brings but I would hope the Habs would have four other guys that hits and would can get physical and not rely on only him on defense.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
They moved up from 28 to 4th, you can't plug every hole in a short time. Name me a team that has.... I suppose you would have traded all the draft picks so you could get a Regher or Clowe or Murray for this year only???

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:12 AM
JustAHabFan

We need to get players with the right mindset. Players who want to win and will make the needed sacrifice to win. Players like Gallagher, Eller, Prust are the type of player we need. We do not need players who disappear when the game get rough. Desharnais, Gionta, even Patches have not show up and we will not be able to compete.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
They moved up from 28 to 4th, you can't plug every hole in a short time. Name me a team that has.... I suppose you would have traded all the draft picks so you could get a Regher or Clowe or Murray for this year only???
And you supposed wrong. This is what separates Okay GMs to Top GM's.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:28 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

No we don't need to be bigger.

We proved that in Game #2.

We just need to play with hunger.

That's all you need to win. Size is overblown. You win games with skill, heart, and hunger. Right now... we're showing none of those things, save a couple of guys.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:30 AM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post

That's all you need to win. Size is overblown. You win games with skill, heart, and hunger. Right now... we're showing none of those things, save a couple of guys.
Could we at least get a DMan big enough to move Kyle Turris away from the crease during the PK?

He is a big whopping 195 pounds though.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Come on, man, it's easy to take the Habs out of their game, you hit them. Cause they go scared and nervous. Something that rarely happened during the whole season for whatever reasons. Last game we played the Flyers this season, everything was going well until we faced these guys and what did they do that no other teams was doing against us? Hit the Habs and play dirty. It took them completly out of their game and the Habs were easy beatable after that.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:38 AM
habtastic

Everyone who goes on about how we need to get bigger do not understand that we are in year 1 of a new GM, with big players in our pipeline (who he did NOT sacrifice for rentals - thank god!!), and who has yet to have an offseason after seeing his team play. Not only that, but he has made moves to clear cap space and it is clear he is going to be retooling.

It's just silly to assume that Bergevin isn't going to make us a big (AND skilled) team. The only thing that sticks out is the DD contract, but I really wonder what Savard's thoughts would be if we had traded him, given he was this bonafied hometown star. Savard cares WAY more about the latter than about size and toughness so his comments are laughable. If there was no pressure to keep DD around, I wonder if Bergevin would have given him that contract. At the time it seemed that DD's play was good enough to justify that pressure.

Point is - We ARE getting bigger, but it will take patience. The fact that we had a great season makes us forget that we have a new philosophy of letting Timmins's work actually blossom. Bet on this draft to produce a lot of that BUT then also be prepared to wait for them to be NHL-ready.

Also, two of our toughest players are out. I don't mean fighting wise, I mean tough. Emelin and Eller are beasts. Don't forget that.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
And you supposed wrong. This is what separates Okay GMs to Top GM's.
Wow you sure go around in circles without saying anything. Put down your ideas in this space.\

So in your words is MB an "OK" GM or a "Top" GM ?. His first year on the job and he should just rip apart the whole team so they can be better than average for you this year and not worry about the future. PLEASE tell me how it is done

Old
05-07-2013, 12:46 AM
habfaninvictoria

Brad Staubitz would have nice to have around!

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:48 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:

More skating

More hitting

Less stickwork

Less talking

= More winning

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:50 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Wow you sure go around in circles without saying anything. Put down your ideas in this space.\

So in your words is MB an "OK" GM or a "Top" GM ?. His first year on the job and he should just rip apart the whole team so they can be better than average for you this year and not worry about the future. PLEASE tell me how it is done
Why do you put words in my mouth ? He's from mediocre to average when it comes down to building a team. The rest, he seems pretty top of the league.

He could've done it over the course of the season. DD and Gionta clearly don't have their places on this team, he chose to keep them, we pay. Trading them affects in no way the future of this team.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:53 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

1)Trade Desharnais, Gorges plus whatever else it takes to Colorado for Stastny
2)Throw money at Clarkson, Murray
3)Win Stanley Cup

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / David Clarkson ($4.267m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.722m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
John Scott ($0.600m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.700m) / Gabriel Dumont ($0.578m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Alexei Emelin ($2.000m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
OTHER
Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,975,875; BONUSES: $2,697,500
CAP SPACE (26-man roster): $1,021,625

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:59 AM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
3)Win Stanley Cup

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
OTHER

Not bad at all.

John Scott is a nice touch by the way.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:01 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Could we at least get a DMan big enough to move Kyle Turris away from the crease during the PK?

He is a big whopping 195 pounds though.
Well to be fair, we had one until he decided to run Lucic and hurt himself.

As for the other poster, DD's contract won't look that bad if we replace Gionta (after next year) and Ryder (next year) with more hungry players like Gallagher or Bourque.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:07 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Why do you put words in my mouth ? He's from mediocre to average when it comes down to building a team. The rest, he seems pretty top of the league.

He could've done it over the course of the season. DD and Gionta clearly don't have their places on this team, he chose to keep them, we pay. Trading them affects in no way the future of this team.
Please read Habtastic post above , this isn't NHL13 where you rebuild a team over a weekend!!!

And after only 12 months on the job in his first ever GM job you rate him mediocre?? Should he be fired cause he might not win the cup this year??

With the team winning and playing well most of the year how can you just trade guys because they are too small or old. They were helping get the winning tradition back in the dressing room. I agree nothing would make happier than MB trading DD and Gio and Bullion but it is one step at a time. MB has had a year to assess the locker room and roster and what he has in the minors and now has a chance this off-season to address those issues.
There are some nice UFA's for him to look at ,then maybe a trade plus the draft to reshape this organization but anyone that is not happy with what he has done so far is well....

What did Howson do in CBJ? Tambellini in EDM? Gillis in VAN?? These are some recent GMs that never turned a roster over and won in their first years

Old
05-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Please read Habtastic post above , this isn't NHL13 where you rebuild a team over a weekend!!!

And after only 12 months on the job in his first ever GM job you rate him mediocre?? Should he be fired cause he might not win the cup this year??

With the team winning and playing well most of the year how can you just trade guys because they are too small or old. They were helping get the winning tradition back in the dressing room. I agree nothing would make happier than MB trading DD and Gio and Bullion but it is one step at a time. MB has had a year to assess the locker room and roster and what he has in the minors and now has a chance this off-season to address those issues.
There are some nice UFA's for him to look at ,then maybe a trade plus the draft to reshape this organization but anyone that is not happy with what he has done so far is well....

What did Howson do in CBJ? Tambellini in EDM? Gillis in VAN?? These are some recent GMs that never turned a roster over and won in their first years
Not sure this is a comparison you want to make

All in all MB had a plan... He wanted to assess what he had... He failed to adjust... This is what I am angry about.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Not sure this is a comparison you want to make

All in all MB had a plan... He wanted to assess what he had... He failed to adjust... This is what I am angry about.
I was saying no one turns a team around in the first year.Even the so called great "Brian Burke" that is my point while you say MB should have been able to do it filling all the glaring weaknesses at once.

Now you say we should have traded DD and Gio but you fail to say who you are adding to the roster to make it better???

Hate to tell you this but 14 teams failed to adjust during the season and they aren't even in the playoffs...soon 15 other teams will have failed to adjust in season AND only one will have made the right moves...

Old
05-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
3)Win Stanley Cup

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
OTHER

I thought you were 'throwing money' at Clarkson and Murray. How then did you end up with signing Clarkson for a cap hit that many other teams would match and Murray for the same salary he's on now?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:32 AM
Ginu

Who are all those posters who said size doesn't matter? There's actually no argument to suggest otherwise.

There's a simple problem here. Anderson is the type of goalie who can make 50 saves. But he has poor rebound control so you have to crash the net. How many of our top 6 players are able to do that against the Sens D? Pacioretty and Gallagher. That's it- nobody else has the skill for it.

Last edited by Ginu: 05-07-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:43 AM
OneSharpMarble

Apparently Edm is looking to move their 1st round pick (7th) for an established defensive dman and pick coming back. I thought Gorges+Montreals 1st for 7th OA would be a good trade, Edm fans were very interested aswell. We would have a shot at Barkov/Lindholm/Drouin if someone falls.

Our defence would miss Gorges but I think we could recover via rookies and FA quickly. I hope Bergeron is ready to make moves and willing to take some chances.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:55 AM
Roulin

Here it is again, the transferable quality of size. Maybe if Yao Ming hangs around the team, everyone will play a foot taller. Give me a break. Get a bigger player if that player's size helps him play better than others, and he can be an upgrade on the ice. Otherwise, find another way to get undervalued players.

Tons of respect to Savard. Tons of respect to Lafleur and Gretzky and Nieuwendyk. But past success doesn't entitle you to "hockey genius for life" status, and doesn't immunize you from speaking in platitudes and saying what an interviewer wants to hear.

In the current situation, IMO we should be smaller. Play Halpern instead of Moen or Armstrong. It gives us a greater chance of putting together a second tough minutes line in Eller's absence, to counteract the Sens keeping Alfredsson's line away from Plekanec.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote