HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Earth to Damien Brunner

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Brunner has a ton of ability. He needs to make some adjustments to his game and he will be a much better player for it. He has the skating, hands and shot to be a legit top 6 player in the league for awhile. I'd like to see him become a little more efficient. Cut out the elongated wrist shots where he toe drags and holds and holds then shoots and the defender blocks it or he loses his window. I'd like to see him skate with speed then just shoot a quick snap shot like Gaborik and Hossa do all the time. Shorten up his motion a bit and fire.

Also the dekes. You're not going to walk everybody with that side-sweeping toe drag every time you get into the zone. It's obvious for defenders and he does it way too often. This isn't NHL 13. Use that speed and beat people to the outside or use more subtle small dekes like Datsyuk.

Simple stuff, but I think this would help him a lot.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Hckytwn
FIRE HOLLAND NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Score a ****ing goal sometime!

I hope this bum isn't brought back, even if it's for cheap. It's clear he can't play at a high level for an entire NHL season. Go back to Switzerland!
The guy is a rookie, I don't care what age he is. He's scored 11 goals in 40 games, which is a normal season's 20-goal pace... it makes no sense to call a 20-goal rookie a "bum".

The problem isn't Brunner, the problem is that this team needs to rely on him so much. When an organization asks a rookie to save their season, it's the organization that's the problem--not the rookie. And this year, the Wings looked to not only Brunner, but also Smith, Nyquist, Anderson and Lashoff to fill pretty significant roles.

I am fine with them playing, but not fine with blaming them for anything. Blame Holland or Babcock or the vets, but not them.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Not absolving Brunner but the whole offense has been **** for most of his slump.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:06 PM
apre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Score a ****ing goal sometime!

I hope this bum isn't brought back, even if it's for cheap. It's clear he can't play at a high level for an entire NHL season. Go back to Switzerland!
I think you're forgetting he already played quite a bit in Switzerland, and tried really hard in the beginning of the season. He's tired, that's all.

I bet he'll do a lot better next year. Detroit conditioning coaches know how to make players put on some muscles and improve their stamina.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:28 AM
RedWinger10

He is only going to get better. I am excited to see what he can do wit this team next year. He NEEDS to be resigned with this team. It will be a pretty big mistake if the wings let him walk. That being said I want his contract to be reasonable.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:20 AM
MissNHL

That was my first reaction after I read the first post. Now it's just

Old
04-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Pavels Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNHL View Post
That was my first reaction after I read the first post. Now it's just
Agreed. Despite Brunner's goalscoring drought he's still one of the biggest positives I take from thks season. Hope he gets re-signed because him and Nyquist seriously look fantastic together, if we get Helm in there between them that's a hell of a 3rd line next season.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:30 AM
joe89

We really don't know how much his hip flexor bothered him for a while. Now that's obviously a part of the NHL grind, but he has skated much much better since he got a few games rest.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:53 AM
JPE123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckytwn View Post
The guy is a rookie, I don't care what age he is. He's scored 11 goals in 40 games, which is a normal season's 20-goal pace... it makes no sense to call a 20-goal rookie a "bum".

The problem isn't Brunner, the problem is that this team needs to rely on him so much. When an organization asks a rookie to save their season, it's the organization that's the problem--not the rookie. And this year, the Wings looked to not only Brunner, but also Smith, Nyquist, Anderson and Lashoff to fill pretty significant roles.

I am fine with them playing, but not fine with blaming them for anything. Blame Holland or Babcock or the vets, but not them.
Hasn't been a normal season by any means. Compressed schedule, a lot of injuries which means constant line shuffling and putting inexperienced guys in critical roles. I think Brunner has a load of talent and look forward to seeing him for a long time on the wing

Old
04-23-2013, 12:13 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
Agreed. Despite Brunner's goalscoring drought he's still one of the biggest positives I take from thks season. Hope he gets re-signed because him and Nyquist seriously look fantastic together, if we get Helm in there between them that's a hell of a 3rd line next season.
Would be an even better one with Weiss...

Old
04-23-2013, 12:18 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckytwn View Post

If only the Wings had the exclusive opportunity to sign an early prime ~25g, 55-60 point forward for a mere $4m this past offseason.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Pavels Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Would be an even better one with Weiss...
Is Weiss normally used as a 3rd line C?

If we had Weiss I wouldn't really see him as a replacement for Helm, as there is almost no one I would rather see centering our 3rd line than Helm.
Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner looks very promising, but add in even more speed with Helm and wow, it could be something. Don't know much about Weiss but is he better at faceoffs/defense than Helm?

But having both Nyquist and Brunner on our 3rd line is dependant on us having a working top 6 next season.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:36 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
No. Basically 1st line C.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Weiss wouldn't sign to play 3C. On the positive side he is used to anchoring his own line in the top 6 and successfully. While I think we are at our best with Datsyuk and Zetterberg split, Weiss allows the lineup to go with them together something Filppula hasn't really been able to do at the center role.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 04-23-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old
04-23-2013, 02:59 PM
pdd

Quote:
If we have a third-line of Nyquist/Weiss/Brunner, we would have Z, Dats, Franzen, Sammy/replacement, Flip/replacement, and maybe Tatar in the top-six. Abdelkader/Helm/Tootoo as the fourth line.

I like Weiss' game and think he would be a good pickup, and that we might be able to get him for less than he would *normally* cost right now. Especially since he supposedly would prefer to play near his hometown, meaning he would prefer to play for Detroit or Toronto if possible.

Given Datsyuk's potential departure after next season and Weiss' style of play, I think he's a good fit as "insurance". "Worst case" scenario if Datsyuk stays? Z or Dats moves to the wing and Weiss takes the 2C, with Jarnkrok at 3C and Sammy gone. Oh darn, such a terrible situation.

Quote:
If we had Weiss I wouldn't really see him as a replacement for Helm, as there is almost no one I would rather see centering our 3rd line than Helm.
The idea is that we have enough depth (and notably, under-30 players) to run three scoring lines, a la the 90s/early 00s Wings or the 2007-08 and 2008-09 Wings.

That's how contenders work; depth+solid higher end talent. Either that or we trade off guys like Franzen for futures and watch Datsyuk and Zetterberg play out their Wings careers on a bottom feeder.

Quote:
Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner looks very promising, but add in even more speed with Helm and wow, it could be something. Don't know much about Weiss but is he better at faceoffs/defense than Helm?
Weiss is good defensively. He's around 51% on faceoffs this year, but he's normally around 53%-54%. Helm is generally around 52%-53%.

Weiss has tended to be better at ES and on the PP, while Helm has the advantage on the PK. So on the special teams they would actually be playing, they have outperformed the other. And Weiss has outperformed Helm at ES, when he would likely take more faceoffs.

Weiss is also a significant ES point producer; so playing reduced PP time wouldn't hurt him as much as it did a significant PP guy like Ray Whitney or Luc Robitaille when they were Wings.

Quote:
But having both Nyquist and Brunner on our 3rd line is dependant on us having a working top 6 next season.
If you go to the "You are the GM" thread, you can see my suggestion for what we should do. Obviously the Colaiacovo/Gustavsson/Samuelsson deal requires NTC waivers, but could easily be replaced with the compliance buyout of Cola (and perhaps Gus as well) and Sammy takes the spot I slotted for Hudler.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:08 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Weiss wouldn't sign to play 3C. On the positive side he is used to anchoring his own line in the top 6 and successfully. While I think we are at our best with Datsyuk and Zetterberg split, Weiss allows are lineup to go with them together something Filppula hasn't really been able to do at the center role.
Weiss might sign given team depth (assuming another top-six acquisition), proximity to home, and desire to win the Cup. As well as the fact that Datsyuk is supposedly leaving in 2014, and that both Dats and Z are getting older; in three years it's entirely possible that Weiss would be the #1 with Dats (if he stays) or Z as the #2. If Dats leaves, Weiss would definitely be top-two as soon as 2014-15. And given that *other* (hopefully under-30) top-six acquisition, the team would be set up to do well for a while as the kids (Nyquist, Tatar, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Sproul, Ouellet, etc.) would be filtering in over the next few seasons, or one or two might be traded for a major piece. That means a young team with Weiss as a key veteran in two or three years, hopefully some playoff success as well with the further development of Dekeyser/Kindl/Smith/etc.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Crymson, you know it probably happened. I haven't been on there recently because it has been massively slow for some reason, but given some of the things I've read there in the past none of that would shock me. Of course, it being entirely fictional wouldn't surprise me either.
Though there are extreme outliers in opinion on every forum (and everywhere in general), I don't recall anyone actually saying that. I do, however, remember you making all sorts of outrageously complimentary statements about Hudler and Osgood.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:19 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Good news is it looks like Brunner found earth last night. Really has been much better from the moment Nyquist dropped onto his line. He seems to be more aggressive again.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Good news is it looks like Brunner found earth last night. Really has been much better from the moment Nyquist dropped onto his line. He seems to be more aggressive again.
That 3rd line is really coming along. Andersson/Nyquist/Brunner is a legit threat to score. They will start popping in goals soon enough, because it feels like they spend a lot of time buzzing the net.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:24 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
That 3rd line is really coming along. Andersson/Nyquist/Brunner is a legit threat to score. They will start popping in goals soon enough, because it feels like they spend a lot of time buzzing the net.
For sure. I'd like to see them get more minutes. Nyquist and Brunner seem to have some innate chemistry. Maybe move them up next year and give Andersson Tatar so he still has some GR chemistry. Really depends on if we leave Franzen at center though. He seems to look a lot better there.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Enough with the personal attacks.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:15 AM
SwissGrog

I'm very happy that after that horrible mistake he gets the OTWG. It will boost his confidence up. I actually didn't expect him to have a 1 ppg during playoff, where the space is tighter, and the 13 min TOI / point is impressive for a NorthAmerican rookie.
Still, he seems invisible most of the time he is on the ice, but man it is exciting to think what can he become next year with one full-time north-american-ice preparation behind his back.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:24 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Haven't gotten a chance to watch a full game yet but can anybody tell me how he's been in playoffs? He had that big 3 point game and now has a OT winner to tie the series even those it was all Nyquist.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
Haven't gotten a chance to watch a full game yet but can anybody tell me how he's been in playoffs? He had that big 3 point game and now has a OT winner to tie the series even those it was all Nyquist.
He was invisible and mostly ineffective for most the game. But he scored in OT, so he's a hero!

Old
05-07-2013, 08:35 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
He was invisible and mostly ineffective for most the game. But he scored in OT, so he's a hero!
So true.

It's funny how a OT goal can change some people's perception instantly.

He had his minutes cut last night and I was starting to think he's the next to be benched when Abby returns, but that OT goal might have saved his ass.

I can't believe he leads the team in playoff goals. They better not over-pay this guy next season, having him as a staple in our top 6 for years isn't the direction this team needs to be going.

I like the guy, but he's nothing more than a Hudler replacement.

Closed Thread