HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Kyle Clifford would be ideal! Chris Stewart would also be a great choice
Yes, Chris Stewart would be perfect. He can fight anybody.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Hansman

Useful aquisitions would be Ryan Reaves from ST.Louis and UFA Ryan Clowe.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
None of the guys you named know how to play hockey.
Give it a break. They would be here so our stars could play. They could take the spot of Ryder and DD right now. now go back to watching figure skating.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
And that's supposed to help us?
This team would get pushed around in the Quebec PeeWee Tournament.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:27 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Montreal doent have half the offense that Chicago has. We cant waste a roster spot on someone like Bollig. But yeah im clueless.
Yes, Montreal could not survive without Moen and his two goals, 4 assists and his -4.

I will not argue with your last sentence though.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:03 AM
Habitant le colon

Carey Price anyone?

Old
05-07-2013, 03:47 AM
Draft

Quote:
He can fight, he doesn't do it often. He isn't physical when he plays an incredibly inconsistent game. Not that he isn't a great player, you might just be disappointed.

Last edited by Draft: 05-07-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old
05-07-2013, 03:57 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
He can fight, he doesn't do it often. He isn't physical when he plays and incredibly inconsistent. Not that he isn't a great player, you might just be disappointed.
Exactly. I've seen this guy play and he's one of the last few people on any roster who would drop the gloves to protect a teammate. I caught glimpses of Game 1 and 2 in the LA/STL series and he reminded me of Pacioretty; tall, bulky, soft along the boards, inconsistent, doesn't know how to finish a check, etc. He can definitely fight, but the problem is that he just doesn't do it enough. I can already see people calling him out for not being physical and dropping the gloves enough.

A realistic option would be Ryan Reaves. This guy is the perfect 4th liner. Good size, actually tough and isn't afraid to hit people. If I was MB, I would throw anything between 1.5 and 2 millions at him.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Dumont should definitely crack the lineup as of next year and we shouldn't bring Armstrong back

Hudon I think he needs a year or even 2 in Hamilton and Kristo at least to start the year with the Dogs, maybe as a call up and see what he can bring
Will see. But each year, some surprises come to training camp. The organization isn't afraid to bring youngsters to the mix. Seems the way Bergevin will build. A guy like Hudon could play in differents situations.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
There was no doubt that Lou was going to get traded last summer too, and then this year up until deadline.
Now Schneider crapped the bed yesterday. We'll see what happens in game 4. But yea, I'm not disagreeing, I don't see how they can retain Lou but I felt the same way last summer so...
While I understand what you're saying, the difference is that Luongo had said that he was willing to finish the season in Vancouver if he had to this year. He has since said that he wants out, and was quite clear about it.

Quote:
As for them changing things up front, they certainly need to, but I think they might move the twins. Only one year on their contract, they're the ones that are supposed to lead this team forward, they are the core. So if Vancouver wants to change their core, they might try to move those guys. Kesler might also go, it really depends on what direction they take.
I would be interested to know what would be Kesler's price, but with Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk, I'm not sure I would bring another center into the mix.
If it's a swap between him and Plek(+), then okay, otherwise not so much.
The twins both have a NMC and the team picking them up would also have to pick-up $12.2M on their cap, while the salary cap is going down. Very limited options for the Canucks.

Quote:
Clarkson and Clowe are two guys I target.
The price for one of those two will be outrageously high, in proportion with the demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
If AV gets fired, Luongo may stay and Schneider may be the one moved. The Canucks have a small window left to win, so they may hesitate to part with large pieces.
Possible, but not as much because of Schneider's game 3 performance, but rather because Luongo's contract makes him difficult to trade.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:26 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
Exactly. I've seen this guy play and he's one of the last few people on any roster who would drop the gloves to protect a teammate. I caught glimpses of Game 1 and 2 in the LA/STL series and he reminded me of Pacioretty; tall, bulky, soft along the boards, inconsistent, doesn't know how to finish a check, etc. He can definitely fight, but the problem is that he just doesn't do it enough. I can already see people calling him out for not being physical and dropping the gloves enough.

A realistic option would be Ryan Reaves. This guy is the perfect 4th liner. Good size, actually tough and isn't afraid to hit people. If I was MB, I would throw anything between 1.5 and 2 millions at him.
Reaves is just 6 foot 1, but weighs like 230 lbs, his skating is fine as he can catch guys to hit, and he hits a lot. He drops them a lot and is an okay fighter. Problem is he has one year left with the Blues, so wed have to trade for him. I dont see why he would get anything close to $2M, Id think a 3 year deal at $4M would easily do it.Hed be great for the 4th line, of course somebody would have to go.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:30 AM
bud12

Reaves is one of the worst enforcer (I don't talk about fighting ability there) you can have. People will be dissapointed with him.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
First, Stewart would cost a fortune, St.Louis traded a former #1 overall pick to get him and he is their top scorer by 8 points in a 48 game seson. It's like Calagary fans saying "we should trade for Pacioretty".

Second, if you get a guy like Stewart to be a fighter, that's dumb, he's a guy taht should be playing big minutes in the top 6 and a key player offensively, the last thing you want is have him get hurt being an enforcer. Plus despite his size he is far from a feared fighter anyways.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Yes, Montreal could not survive without Moen and his two goals, 4 assists and his -4.

I will not argue with your last sentence though.
The funny part is, most fans on here want to get rid of Moen but would be happy signing/trading for a guy like Clowe who is no better a fighter and who's production(3 goals and 19 points in 40 games) will look worse than Moen at the cap hit he ends up signing for(4-4.5 mil).

Old
05-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceIsGod View Post
Idk if this is serious.
Why, do they play the same side? I can never remember who plays where. That said, i dont even think it would matter because Emelin played on his wrong side with Markov and was still one of our most effective D's.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
The funny part is, most fans on here want to get rid of Moen but would be happy signing/trading for a guy like Clowe who is no better a fighter and who's production(3 goals and 19 points in 40 games) will look worse than Moen at the cap hit he ends up signing for(4-4.5 mil).
? But Moen has had 20+ goals and 60 pts in an NHL season before????? Yes, we're aware Clowe had a horrible year. And also aware of the possibility he's on a decline he'll never recover from. But I think there has to be a flip side awareness that he has had some MUCH MUCH better seasons in the past. These players are still only what 31. It's not _that_ old. There's still a reasonable chance Clowe bounces back just fine to his usual form next season. That's what you'd be banking on in going after him.

But it's also why he will ask for $5M or whatever, and at that price point the gamble becomes higher stakes, and probably is worth staying away from. I'd be happy to get Clowe and take the chance on him rebounding, just on his track record as a player in the NHL. But at the likely pricetag... not so much.

That's the nature of the UFA market, of course. When it comes down to that, I don't think you can even just open up his stats page, not from last season or past seasons, you also have to have your pro scouts looking at his speed, his tendencies now, and hopefully with all of our recent-former-players employed in the front office maybe you even have somebody who knows him a bit personally, knows what his training regimen is like, knows his demeanour and dedication, can estimate how he'll react to this poor season, and to having a comfy long-term new contract, etc. Absolutely have to factor some of that knowledge into any such gamble too.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:05 AM
bud12

Quote:

Old
05-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
? But Moen has had 20+ goals and 60 pts in an NHL season before????? Yes, we're aware Clowe had a horrible year. And also aware of the possibility he's on a decline he'll never recover from. But I think there has to be a flip side awareness that he has had some MUCH MUCH better seasons in the past. These players are still only what 31. It's not _that_ old. There's still a reasonable chance Clowe bounces back just fine to his usual form next season. That's what you'd be banking on in going after him.

But it's also why he will ask for $5M or whatever, and at that price point the gamble becomes higher stakes, and probably is worth staying away from. I'd be happy to get Clowe and take the chance on him rebounding, just on his track record as a player in the NHL. But at the likely pricetag... not so much.

That's the nature of the UFA market, of course. When it comes down to that, I don't think you can even just open up his stats page, not from last season or past seasons, you also have to have your pro scouts looking at his speed, his tendencies now, and hopefully with all of our recent-former-players employed in the front office maybe you even have somebody who knows him a bit personally, knows what his training regimen is like, knows his demeanour and dedication, can estimate how he'll react to this poor season, and to having a comfy long-term new contract, etc. Absolutely have to factor some of that knowledge into any such gamble too.
I didn't say Moen would have 20 goals or 60 points, but his cap hit also isn't 4.5 or 5 mil per year...I was talking relatively speaking. People won't think twice at giving Moen away but will suggest signinga guy like Clowe to a huge contract being in a similar situation.

With a guy like Clowe, you can look at other physical players that have seen early declines in production. For a skill guy, being 31-34 is not a big deal if he takes care of himself and had a pretty healthy career. Clowe has been banged around a lot plus his skating was already poor.

With a guy like that coming off a down year, it's not just the cap hit(at 4.5-5mil) it's the term. UFA's usually want 4-5-6 year deals or more. If his decline continues, the big issue won't be in 13-14 it will be 15-16 and 16-17 when guys like Gallagher Galchenyuk Tinordi etc will need new contracts.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 05-07-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old
05-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Shake your head all you want, it's true.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
While I understand what you're saying, the difference is that Luongo had said that he was willing to finish the season in Vancouver if he had to this year. He has since said that he wants out, and was quite clear about it.
I still think things can change but yes I expect him to be gone as well.

Quote:
The twins both have a NMC and the team picking them up would also have to pick-up $12.2M on their cap, while the salary cap is going down. Very limited options for the Canucks.
Oh I wasn't saying that they have to be moved together. A split is more likely.
I'm not too scared about the NMC, it seems every player in the NHL has them and yet trades still happen.

Quote:
The price for one of those two will be outrageously high, in proportion with the demand.
Outrageously high, I'm not sure, but it's a possibility yes. If that's the case, like 6M for Clowe over multiple years, then obviously you pass on that.
However, I don't think it's going to be as crazy. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Overpayments are in order though, no doubt about it.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Montreal is a team going in the opposite direction of the Canucks. I think our core needs a serious tweaking and an injection of youth... and Montreal has always seemed to be more of a win now market.

Veteran players in our core that I would shop to shake things up are Burrows, Edler and Bieksa.... Kesler only if it was a blockbuster.

The two young Canadiens I'm most interested in are Tinordi and Eller... PK Subban if he's not untouchable.

Is there a deal to be made with some of these players here that would be good for both teams? Any interest in hometown vets like Luongo and Burrows? ... of course that would mean trading Price, but fetch something pretty he'd sweet I'd imagine; but another rough season and his trade value is going to go down pretty significantly imo.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Draft

Quote:
I didn't say Moen would have 20 goals or 60 points, but his cap hit also isn't 4.5 or 5 mil per year...I was talking relatively speaking. People won't think twice at giving Moen away but will suggest signinga guy like Clowe to a huge contract being in a similar situation.

With a guy like Clowe, you can look at other physical players that have seen early declines in production. For a skill guy, being 31-34 is not a big deal if he takes care of himself and had a pretty healthy career. Clowe has been banged around a lot plus his skating was already poor.

With a guy like that coming off a down year, it's not just the cap hit(at 4.5-5mil) it's the term. UFA's usually want 4-5-6 year deals or more. If his decline continues, the big issue won't be in 13-14 it will be 15-16 and 16-17 when guys like Gallagher Galchenyuk Tinordi etc will need new contracts.
Quote:
Outrageously high, I'm not sure, but it's a possibility yes. If that's the case, like 6M for Clowe over multiple years, then obviously you pass on that.
However, I don't think it's going to be as crazy. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Overpayments are in order though, no doubt about it.
Monctonscout, you're absolutely right. I honestly have nothing more to add, people will be disappointed with these guys based on their cap hits and their future production. I think there's a possibility that we bring in Clowe but I don't think he's worth anything more than 3milx6 or 4milx4. The market will be nuts for these top players, I'd rather draft and develop our own guys.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Montreal is a team going in the opposite direction of the Canucks. I think our core needs a serious tweaking and an injection of youth... and Montreal has always seemed to be more of a win now market.

Veteran players in our core that I would shop to shake things up are Burrows, Edler and Bieksa.... Kesler only if it was a blockbuster.

The two young Canadiens I'm most interested in are Tinordi and Eller... PK Subban if he's not untouchable.

Is there a deal to be made with some of these players here that would be good for both teams? Any interest in hometown vets like Luongo and Burrows? ... of course that would mean trading Price, but fetch something pretty he'd sweet I'd imagine; but another rough season and his trade value is going to go down pretty significantly imo.
Montreal could never tank like EDM or PIT did but with the new management in town they have the patience to build for the long term success.

I am sure Habs would have some interest in those players u mentioned but they have alot of mileage and baggage with them so if was .50 on the dollar ...maybe
You will not get any of the young core that MB is building around

Old
05-07-2013, 11:59 AM
bud12

Quote:
Shake your head all you want, it's true.
Clowe is a better fighter

Old
05-07-2013, 12:00 PM
The Nightman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Spoken exactly like a person who has never seen Clowe play.

Closed Thread