HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ECQF Game 3: WSH at New York Rangers - Swiss Cheese Neckbeard

Old
05-07-2013, 08:18 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
Full celebrity list from last night:

Tom ****ing Hanks!
Kevin Jonas (got some boos)
Some guy I missed
Justin tuck (he comes to quiet a few games, especially playoffs. In a jersey)
Chris copeland (he's gone to a few games this year)
Matt Harvey (apparently he's been a few times. Never showed him before)
Will Arnett (He's come a few times recently. As a candian, he's gotta get hockey somewhere when he's in ny)
John McEnroe (he's a big fan, and friends with ludnqvist. At the garden ALL the time)
No Liam Neeson?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The guy sitting next to Tom Hanks looked (to me) like Brian Williams of NBC.
Yeah, they showed him too. Not the one I missed though

Edit: and it wasn't Liam Neeson either

05-07-2013, 08:25 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

As I mentioned in the roll call thread, tonight was my first time at the garden for a ranger game since 1999.

It did not disappoint. Not the best Ranger effort overall but that was a good time.

That said, gonna need a lot, and I mean a lot more from:

Richards
Stepan
Callahan
Nash

To have any sort of shot.

Those guys really need to bring it.

Last edited by HatTrick Swayze: 05-07-2013 at 08:43 AM.
HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
Here's what I see the issue is with Lundqvist... It's pretty apparent that aside from the caps transition offense where the forwards are looking to get chances (Hank always seems to play these scenarios out well), they are clearly funneling their sustained offensive zone time to the outside shot (mostly via their D)... I feel Lundy HAS to make that adjustment and come out of his net more to meet that shot opportunity. 10/10 he makes the save on the 3rd and possibly 2nd if he's out of that crease to meet the shot and not relying on his reactions (which was the issue on the first goal). His challenges are no different than any other goaltender in the playoffs, and I hope moving forward that he makes those necessary adjustments.
Since you didn't give any measures, I'm not sure how far out you're talking about here. Top of the crease or aggressively challenging the shooter? Let's assume you mean more into the Tim Thomas/ Fleury type of play. If you don't like inconsistent goaltending, watch how ridiculous a bad bounce can make them look. If you don't like your opponent getting freebie goals, I don't think this is the style you want to see.

While a position further out is better for the angles, you will run into other problems, especially positioning problems. What happens if the puck is passed sideways (our passive collapse doesn't exactly cut off passing lanes)? When they have sustained pressure in our zone, it isn't exactly easy to know when he should challenge, when the shot actually comes. Around these days, it's often a shot he initally doesn't even see. What about rebounds? If he is further out from his net and he manages to save a deflection, what about the possible gaping net afterwards? If he's deep, he has a chance to scramble, if he's far out, he has an impossible area to cover. Can he rely on his teammates to take care of the rebound? Looking retrospectively, no.

Or if it isn't deflected towards the net, but falls into the lap of an open player on the side right away? Then it's a goalie out of position and a possible open net. Not to mention the increased chance of an injury or getting stuck into someone, because the traffic is usually very heavy in front of our net. Or what happens if Hank loses track of the puck?

My problem is, this defensive strategy and Hank's and Allaire's way of playing in net doesn't seem to be that compatible. If Hank wants to play deep and get extra time to see the shot, what's the point if our own players constantly screen him? Let him see the shot! But no, it's a rule we always need to have at least one teammate right in his vision, in some futile attempt to block the shot while attempting to imitate a straw.

Lundqvist's style of play obviously works. This team's style of play, not so sure about that. So where should the emphazis be on changing the style of play here? Let's fix the only part on this team that isn't broken yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
My feeling was his playing back in the crease had him at a bad angle. Had he been even just a little further out on the top of the crease or at least slightly to his left I think he had the reaction to make the save. He's a phenomenal goalie positionally goal's like that just don't happen to him often and I think he screwed the pooch on it.
First of all, that goal happens because our guy (Brassard?) loses the faceoff cleanly in the defensive zone. Whatever you do at a defensive faceoff, you cannot lose it cleanly, because then stuff like that can happen. It's a crap storm waiting to happen. It's two teams in the same area of the ice and if that shot gets through that forest of people - which it did - it's a living hell for a goalie.

Second of all, could he have played it further out? Perhaps. Would it have increased his chances? In this case, yes, but a screened deflection is a screened deflection, any guarantees are out the window. If the shot would've happened differently, who knows?

In retrospective, it's really easy to adjust knowing the outcome, but if you would have sat at rinkside in MSG before that faceoff, would you have yelled at the top of your lungs at Lundqvist: "GET FURTHER OUT!"? I don't believe so.

Last edited by Chimp: 05-07-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:38 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120

I love it!

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post

I love it!
Nice! No front page?

05-07-2013, 08:52 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
First of all, that goal happens because our guy (Brassard?) loses the faceoff cleanly in the defensive zone. Whatever you do at a defensive faceoff, you cannot lose it cleanly, because then stuff like that can happen. It's a crap storm waiting to happen.

Second of all, could he have played it further out? Perhaps. Would it have been a guarantee he would have saved it? No, a screened deflection is a screened deflection. Would it have increased his chances? In this case, probably, if the shot happened differently, maybe not.

In retrospective, it's really easy to adjust knowing the outcome, but if you would have sat at rinkside in MSG before that faceoff, would you have yelled at the top of your lungs at Lundqvist: "GET FURTHER OUT!"?

If Lundqvist has to start playing in net assuming his teammates will always fail at their task (lose faceoffs cleanly), things will start to look pretty weird.
What I was saying is that he always has almost a sixth sense of where the puck could possibly go and he never leaves even an inch open that his reflexes can't cover. In this case he reacted in time but was too far over. He was also covering the right post (his right) a good deal and I think he usually would be a little more centered in the crease which would have closed off that tiny little gap. Just my hypothesis on what happenned not saying it's true and we all know he's a guy who plays deep but I think he just got caught by a mere inch.

A HUGE HUGE HUGE part of the reason is because of how utterly that faceoff was lost. That combined with the mad scramble didn't help. But he's just SOOOO freakin good (I constantly say he's the best in the world) that this IS a shot he's usually in position to stop. I think if you asked him which goal pissed him off most and left him feeling "dammit I HAD that" it'd be that third. Of course I'm just guessing in the end

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:01 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
We're not going to go anywhere without Nash. Cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Rick Nash.
He looked brutal last night. Skated like ****. I think he has something nagging badly that is hurting him.

He also needs to stop trying to split the d by trying to dangle his way through so he can make the NHL Tonight highlight reel. That **** doesn't work in the playoffs.

Time to wake up Nash. Everyone is watching and this is the time to shine.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:07 AM
OverTheCap

Agree about Nash, he is trying to split the defense as if it's some regular season game against Tampa. He should just do what Boyle did on his goal - drive hard to the net, no fancy stuff.

The gamewinning goal happened in part because Nash was utilizing his teammates more. Hopefully he builds on that from hereon out.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:08 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
He looked brutal last night. Skated like ****. I think he has something nagging badly that is hurting him.

He also needs to stop trying to split the d by trying to dangle his way through so he can make the NHL Tonight highlight reel. That **** doesn't work in the playoffs.

Time to wake up Nash. Everyone is watching and this is the time to shine.
He isn't 100% and he is trying too hard. He needs to let the game come to him. Distribute the puck and get open. He will be fine.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:11 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
most people forget that though NHL players are playing at an elite level, they are human.

They are going to make mistakes and, it seems, every time they do the entire fanbase wants them traded, benched, or the coach fired. A game that's played this fast with this much pressure inevitably leads to some bad decisions.
Agreed as much as I sh** on the big Brich all year I do it in a contained environmet here on HF where I know nothing we say means much. But earlier in the year when people were bragging about tweeting to him that he was such a giant piece of garbage it absolutely set me off. There's a difference between criticizing an athlete or person's performance vs treating another human being like pure crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Fans are flawed as well, though. Fan is short for fanatic after all.
Oh, It’s true. It’s damn true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
There are certainly a group of posters who act as if they are the HF elite. You know them when they start talking about being "long time posters" and say things like "this is why I don't post as much anymore" or "why do you think all the old posters don't show up anymore?" My favorite has to be though, "there used to be such interesting and great hockey discussion here." Insinuating that because this place isn't like it used to be, it can no longer be a place for great discussion. There is a term for this and it's called jaded. Something changes and they don't like it so they get indignant or condescending to new posters. I've seen it so much on so many boards and it is comical how this group of people act exactly the same no matter where you go.
There is a lot of bickering and almost all of it stems because people immediately start attacking someone for not having a popular opinion. I've seen at least two posters, one of them pretty intelligent, run off the boards (permanently) because the majority here didn't like what they had to say and constantly drew them in to pissing matches and **** slinging. It's really sad. Everyone is different but to most different just means wrong or stupid and so they are treated as such. I applaud Kershaw, even though I don't often agree with him (completely) for having conviction and standing behind his opinion despite the nightly onslaught of posters crapping on him.

People complain about good hockey discussion on one hand, and condemn people for their opposing opinion on the other. Good discussion stems from a differing and diverse set of opinions, not everyone agreeing all the time. Yet those same posters go right to the sarcasm, hyperbole and name calling without fail.
I can only comment on what happens here now and yea this place is rife with passive aggressiveness and condescension. But what got me was I was having a PM with Jonathan and I was pointing out how we started bickering b/c I made a overly dramatic post about Brich spitting in the face of every ranger fan. Now I had done this sort of thing before, postt in an overly dramatic fashion, mostly for fun without fully meaning it but the level of condescension I received pissed me off so much that I kept on with it which in the end represents me poorly but i was more concerned with basically telling someone to eff off than I was with representing myself on a forum.
I was questioning why you would condescend to someone over a stupid opinion even if it is idiotic. Why not just laugh at how uninformed the opinion is and try to discuss it? Then I read a post about Hank in game 2 that criticized him to a ridiculous degree and all I wanted to do was tell the guy he was an idiot, etc. The culture here and in many places is to use anonymity or safety in numbers to insult users/others and put yourself on a pedestal. I found myself starting to have this same reaction it just comes naturally. The truth is we should not be taking this crap (peoples opinions) so damn seriously. That’s what drove me to this post.

I don’t want to start doing that crap. I want to laugh and be falsely dramatic on occasion. But until I put up a sig warning people I'm playing around I should expect condescension and reactions that are similarly extreme though it should not be that way. I don’t want to be a dick to people. Plus I was bored and I like discussing behavior especially internet behavior. Kind of OT in a way but at the same time every SINGLE thread half of it is dedicated to chest bumping and taunting moreso than hockey. Hard to miss and hard to avoid getting sucked into.

Alright so enough of this Oprah **** from me. Sorry to any I was rude to no matter what my reasoning was I will do my best to respect and encourage discussion of even the absolute stupidest of opinions in lieu of ridicule.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:31 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Nice! No front page?
Nope just the back page. The Daily News doesn't even have the Rangers on it. They have something about Bernard King dissing Melo on Twitter lol.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Really liked the Nash, Step, Zucc line from the end of the game last night that won us the game.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Nope just the back page. The Daily News doesn't even have the Rangers on it. They have something about Bernard King dissing Melo on Twitter lol.
At this point the Daily News is about as relevant as the National Enquirer.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:39 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

hilarious....

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:41 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post

hilarious....
Well if Steve Nash is leading the team in shots then we are screwed.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:41 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
At this point the Daily News is about as relevant as the National Enquirer.
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:42 AM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
What I was saying is that he always has almost a sixth sense of where the puck could possibly go and he never leaves even an inch open that his reflexes can't cover. In this case he reacted in time but was too far over. He was also covering the right post (his right) a good deal and I think he usually would be a little more centered in the crease which would have closed off that tiny little gap. Just my hypothesis on what happenned not saying it's true and we all know he's a guy who plays deep but I think he just got caught by a mere inch.

A HUGE HUGE HUGE part of the reason is because of how utterly that faceoff was lost. That combined with the mad scramble didn't help. But he's just SOOOO freakin good (I constantly say he's the best in the world) that this IS a shot he's usually in position to stop. I think if you asked him which goal pissed him off most and left him feeling "dammit I HAD that" it'd be that third. Of course I'm just guessing in the end
Me and this guy are on the same page here. I have been VERY happy with Lundy's play all season, but it's not difficult to see that outside of the Pens/Isles series, Carey Price, Cory Scheider and James Reimer, every goaltender has brought their game to that next level... Would anyone here say that these last 3 games have been his best? I doubt many would... With that said, I (just as anyone else in this thread) am looking forward to one of those signature King Henrik game steals (hopefully that next game in Washington after we keep the offensive pedal to the metal at home).

JayMan82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post

hilarious....
Millbury and Roenick are known Rangers haters. Those bullet points are there to fuel commentator analysis and discussion. It's not like they have Sam and Joe as their in-studio analysts. It's like watching the Knicks with Charles Barkely as our announcer, it'll just perpetuate negative conversation and since the guy who writes the bullets that appear on screen (such as this screen cap) knows that he'll skew in the light the talkers want to talk about it (most of the time).

Old
05-07-2013, 09:48 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
Full celebrity list from last night:

Tom ****ing Hanks!
Kevin Jonas (got some boos)
Some guy I missed
Justin tuck (he comes to quiet a few games, especially playoffs. In a jersey)
Chris copeland (he's gone to a few games this year)
Matt Harvey (apparently he's been a few times. Never showed him before)
Will Arnett (He's come a few times recently. As a candian, he's gotta get hockey somewhere when he's in ny)
John McEnroe (he's a big fan, and friends with ludnqvist. At the garden ALL the time)
Michael J Fox was there as well although I don't think he's a Rangers fan (I think he's a Canuck's fan)

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:55 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Millbury and Roenick are known Rangers haters. Those bullet points are there to fuel commentator analysis and discussion. It's not like they have Sam and Joe as their in-studio analysts. It's like watching the Knicks with Charles Barkely as our announcer, it'll just perpetuate negative conversation and since the guy who writes the bullets that appear on screen (such as this screen cap) knows that he'll skew in the light the talkers want to talk about it (most of the time).
Thats ESPN, not NBC

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:04 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
Quote:
Did you notice the Steve Nash thing over there? ESPN knows hockey eh?

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:07 AM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:

I love it!
Got to love it! Even more awesome considering that the Knicks are in the playoffs and were a candidate for that back page spot.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:31 AM
toastbag

So glad they finally scored some goals on that *****. I can't stand that smug look he always has not to mention his smart ass comments that he made after game 2. I wonder what the piece of **** is saying now.

toastbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:35 AM
NYROrtsFan

We need more from

1. Nash - He needs to chill... Until that goal it seemed like the guy was trying to take on the entire Washington team every time he got the puck. He has to stop forcing the issue.

2. Callahan - Guy has been bad on the power play.. When we give away possession I feel like a lot of it was on him when it came to the powerplay.

3. Richards - Just has to be better. Seems a step behind.

Brassard and Boyle were our two best players in that game. Boyle steps it up in the playoffs...

Moore has been very good. Love the fact that he's willing to shoot so much on the power play.

And when it comes to Staal, keep him on the 3rd pair with Del Zotto (Mostly because I really don't trust Del Zotto) until he keeps getting better.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote