HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 10:03 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Impressive.

--GPGAPTS+/-PIM
2012-13 Season453940792730
2012-13 Playoff181123341812
Totals6350631134542

Old
05-06-2013, 10:06 PM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
As far as I have seen Skidooboy Mark is really poplar with the Colts fans but there is some mashing of other fan bases (Belleville) onto the Barrie thread and Mark has taken on a bit of an edge and some other teams fans think of him as a diver and agitator type.

I will PM one of the better Barrie posters and ask him to weigh in.
Well thanks for the note and I think what you've written above about captures it. When the Colts were playing the Bulls some of their fans chimed in on our boards and now some London fans are doing the same. Most Colts fans I know are overjoyed with Mark's progress (remember he missed his first year of major junior). He's leading the OHL in playoff scoring by a large margin and on a PPG basis was among the league leaders in the regular season. He has the height to be effective as a core centre at the next level once he fills out a bit. I wouldn't be upset if they let him spend the year in St. John's to do that next season but I tend to like to let prospects develop in their due course, and I'm not a fan of bringing many players up until they're 21...just no point in blowing the contract years...but I digress...

He can play in the NHL now but his strength, balance, and faceoffs still need work before he'll be very effective. Those will come in time. I wouldn't worry too much about Mark being exactly what he projects to be, a very nice low end top line centre or top end 2nd line centre.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Gil Fisher

fitty!

Old
05-06-2013, 10:25 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
Way to go Scheif!

Old
05-06-2013, 10:56 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Well thanks for the note and I think what you've written above about captures it. When the Colts were playing the Bulls some of their fans chimed in on our boards and now some London fans are doing the same. Most Colts fans I know are overjoyed with Mark's progress (remember he missed his first year of major junior). He's leading the OHL in playoff scoring by a large margin and on a PPG basis was among the league leaders in the regular season. He has the height to be effective as a core centre at the next level once he fills out a bit. I wouldn't be upset if they let him spend the year in St. John's to do that next season but I tend to like to let prospects develop in their due course, and I'm not a fan of bringing many players up until they're 21...just no point in blowing the contract years...but I digress...

He can play in the NHL now but his strength, balance, and faceoffs still need work before he'll be very effective. Those will come in time. I wouldn't worry too much about Mark being exactly what he projects to be, a very nice low end top line centre or top end 2nd line centre.
Thanks for the recap Krazy Kanuck impressive Barrie is up 2-1. I am thrilled For Mark

Old
05-06-2013, 11:27 PM
JetsHomer

Just curious krazy, but are his faceoffs actually bad? didn't he get voted top 2 for faceoffs in the eastern conference?

Old
05-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
He'll need a lot of work before he's effective at the NHL level at it. Most of the face off aces in the league are experienced, have good balance and are well above average in strength. In these traits Scheifele is definitely above average at the junior level but these are his main weaknesses. They don't bode well for him excelling at face offs his first couple seasons. We all think he has a good shot to get there eventually though.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:49 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Just curious krazy, but are his faceoffs actually bad? didn't he get voted top 2 for faceoffs in the eastern conference?
Yes, it's true, he was voted top 2 for faceoffs in the eastern conference. Having said that, right now he's getting absolutely eaten up on the draw by the guy voted #2 for the western conference (Bo Horvat). When I say eaten up I wouldn't be surprised if it's 20-2 for Horvat so far in the OHL Final. In fact, it seems to be an issue that none of the Colts can win a draw but that's off topic here. I would say it's something he has to work on to make it the next level. Like bhay1987 says above, good balance and strength are keys to strong faceoffs in the NHL, and Mark has to work on both before he'll be effective at them there.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Skidooboy

Thnks guys. I figured it was sour grapes. His stats were just to potent for me to believe it. tonights game nd highlights showed him to be wht i figured he was. a top line prospect. He just keeps living improving and growing.

I think he will be an excellent producer on the Jets. Wht I like about him is that at every step he has done the work needed to rise to the level expected of him.
there have been a lot of people who claim he was a "reach" draft and that Winnipeg flubbed the pick....myself i think there were very good resons chevy snapped him up. He has all the tools in the box, he responds to increassed demands and pressure, he works hrd to improve, and i think he has great vision and timing.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:55 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
He'll need a lot of work before he's effective at the NHL level at it. Most of the face off aces in the league are experienced, have good balance and are well above average in strength. In these traits Scheifele is definitely above average at the junior level but these are his main weaknesses. They don't bode well for him excelling at face offs his first couple seasons. We all think he has a good shot to get there eventually though.
If Wellwood can do it, Scheifele surely can.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:28 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
The kid is looking great.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:59 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Impressive.

--GPGAPTS+/-PIM
2012-13 Season453940792730
2012-13 Playoff181123341812
Totals6350631134542
I don't follow junior hockey that much. Is that good for someone his age playing in juniors?

Old
05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I don't follow junior hockey that much. Is that good for someone his age playing in juniors?
He's putting up Hall level playoff production and is just shy of Perry level production so I'd say its extremely good. I'll have to update that chart I showed earlier that shows that he's tracking just as well as other top junior center picks.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Paul Krotz Paul Krotz ‏@Paul_Krotz 1h

The 69th recipient of the prestigious Red Tilson Trophy for 2013 Most Outstanding #OHL Player of the Year will be announced Thursday morning
No real idea if Scheif is even in the running for this... but it would sure make for quite a nice surprise if he won. He has been right up there amongst the ppg leaders all year and is running away with the playoff scoring right now. Would also be quite a coup for the Jets staff to have both the current WHL & OHL MVPs' in the pipeline.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
No real idea if Scheif is even in the running for this... but it would sure make for quite a nice surprise if he won. He has been right up there amongst the ppg leaders all year and is running away with the playoff scoring right now. Would also be quite a coup for the Jets staff to have both the current WHL & OHL MVPs' in the pipeline.
Was looking for some info about who might be likely picks and couldn't find anything, then a fortuitous tweet:

Quote:
Gene Pereira ‏@GenePereira1 2m
OHL to announce winner of Red Tilson Trophy as most valuable player on Thursday morning. Plymouth's Vincent Trocheck favourite for award.
Makes sense, Sarault already won overage player of the year I believe, and guys like Scheifele and Strome likely missed too much of the regular season to receive an award like this.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:03 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Makes sense, Sarault already won overage player of the year I believe, and guys like Scheifele and Strome likely missed too much of the regular season to receive an award like this.
That's what I was thinking. Only found 1 article online mentioning possible candidates. No Scheifele

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...003019271.html

Old
05-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Dang it. Can't be greedy I guess. He is having a great year nonetheless.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:38 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Was looking for some info about who might be likely picks and couldn't find anything, then a fortuitous tweet:

Ya I heard a few OHL media types talk about how they'd consider Strome or Scheifele if they had played a full season.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

I work nightshift out in Saskatoon this summer, but if Barrie makes the Memorial Cup, I may take a night off of work and go see Barrie play here

Old
05-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Skidooboy

Raig button on 1290 today talked about Mark. He spoke very highly of him a d of TNSE's handling of his career. He said that the Jets have been very wise to leave Mark where he is and play the type of minutes he's getting and learn about the game and not rush him into the league. Craig also said he felt Mark was destined to be a top line center who could routinely produce in the NHL. He talked about many players being able to play in the NHL after junior or the AHL but how rushing them might affect their ability to make a real impact at the NHL level. He said very similar things about Jacob Truba and how he felt TNS E were developing their team from the blueprint.just like they said they were. Draft the good players be patient with them let them develop and when they were ready bring them up. I feel that I agree with this strategy and ultimately I think Mark could grow into that special eliete level topline center

Old
05-08-2013, 06:35 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
He's putting up Hall level playoff production and is just shy of Perry level production so I'd say its extremely good. I'll have to update that chart I showed earlier that shows that he's tracking just as well as other top junior center picks.
A die-hard Colts fan can't cheer for Taylor Hall (not even one who has moved to Edmonton), but it should be pointed out that he did what he did as an 18 (and even 17) year old. Mark is 20, so it's not really comparable.

Old
05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
That's what I was thinking. Only found 1 article online mentioning possible candidates. No Scheifele [/URL]
That's only because of the month and a half he spent with you guys

Old
05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

1-0 Barrie already; Scheif with a point!

Old
05-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Tie game now.

Old
05-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

2-1 Knights now. Apparently I'm the only one that cares.

Closed Thread