HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Serge Savard:We need to get bigger

Old
05-07-2013, 09:36 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
In 196869, his second full NHL season, Serge Savard led the Canadiens to a second consecutive Stanley Cup win, becoming the first defencemen to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoffs' most valuable player. In seventeen seasons with the Canadiens, Savard played on eight Stanley Cup championship teams: 1968, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1979.

In 1986 and 1993, Serge Savard was the general manager of the Stanley Cup Champion Montreal Canadiens.

And you mock Serge Savard why?

You might win a hockey game on your Playstation. Serge Savard did it for real.
Thank you. Some have said Savard could have been in Orr category without the broken legs. He is the greatest D man I have ever seen play for Habs. Anyone who disses him, can **** off.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:36 AM
CoconutHockey

Just my opinion guys but the Habs do not necessarily have to get tougher. They rather have two opinions presented to them: Either they get bigger/tougher or they stop playing the tough game and start playing a fast-paced game. Nobody ever said that in order to win in playoffs you had to intimidate your opponents and win all the fights. What if the Habs would totally ignore all the physicality from the Sens, not start any scrum after the whistles ? I would drive the Sens crazy and most likely take them out of their game.

Montreal needs a way to get mentally stronger in the playoffs. It MB's solution is to get tougher/bigger, fine, but there are also other options to be successful in the playoffs.

CoconutHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:37 AM
sampollock

Yes. They do. But MB can't do it over night. But signing DD was a mistake. It shows in playoffs

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:40 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
We need to get players with the right mindset. Players who want to win and will make the needed sacrifice to win. Players like Gallagher, Eller, Prust are the type of player we need. We do not need players who disappear when the game get rough. Desharnais, Gionta, even Patches have not show up and we will not be able to compete.
Patches is playing hurt. For that matter, so is Gionta. So is Prust. That is why we are losing this series. Simple as.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
The two fights that were decisive were Subban pounding Turris and Cowan with White. It looked like White was surprised when Cowan threw some lefts. Other than White who fights like that every time, I'm not sure who you mean that looked silly.

People complain that our 4th liners play soft then they start a line brawl and people complain they didn't destroy everybody else.
We need to replace our not so good guys with some larger, meaner, willing to fight guys. This will make our skilled guys way better as they know they will be protected. PK and Emelin can then hit and not be worried about getting jumped.

Trade: Gionta (Gallagher has replaced him), Moen (useless), DD (replaced by Galch & Eller), Weber (replaced by Tinordi), Armstrong (useless)

Bring in: Bickell, Clarkson, Clowe, Bordeleau, McGratton, Bieksa

1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Patches is playing hurt. For that matter, so is Gionta. So is Prust. That is why we are losing this series. Simple as.
The only reason we're losing in the series is Price **** the bed in game 1. Size is almost even and we dominated the first 2 games, including game 2 when Ottawa was run over and punished repeatedly. They showed up in game 3 much more hungry and we let up a bit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:43 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Why do you put words in my mouth ? He's from mediocre to average when it comes down to building a team. The rest, he seems pretty top of the league.

He could've done it over the course of the season. DD and Gionta clearly don't have their places on this team, he chose to keep them, we pay. Trading them affects in no way the future of this team.
IT....is....his....fist....year....as....GM.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:43 AM
gusfring

Quote:
The only reason we're losing in the series is Price **** the bed in game 1. Size is almost even and we dominated the first 2 games, including game 2 when Ottawa was run over and punished repeatedly. They showed up in game 3 much more hungry and we let up a bit.
Karlsson is also playing hurt, as is Michalek.

Plus, no Spezza...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:45 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
He's such a genius that his attempts to make the Habs bigger when he was the gm was the start of the slow decline into not winning anything for the past 20 years.
an oft repeated and always ignored little fact

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:46 AM
windycity

Quote:
IT....is....his....fist....year....as....GM.
is it really too much to expect Bergevin not to win the Cup in his 1st year considering he inherited such a powerhouse team? I mean the 77 Habs, 80s OIlers can't hold a candle to the squad he inherited

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Andy

Bring back Hal Gill!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Bring back Hal Gill!!!!!!!!!!!
Way to laugh at the last GM to win a cup in Montreal. I'm sure you'd have done the same.

Kass Attack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Karlsson is also playing hurt, as is Michalek.

Plus, no Spezza...
...and your point is?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:50 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Not sure this is a comparison you want to make

All in all MB had a plan... He wanted to assess what he had... He failed to adjust... This is what I am angry about.
You Angry? You've got to be kidding. I'm pleased as hell at the progress this year, and key rookies learning in a tough series.

I'm also pleased that we made the PO, so that players like DD would be tested and evaluated.

You did not seriously expect us to win a cup this year dude. Say it ain't so.

Are you seriously angry at Bergevin? What a ****ing joke.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
...and your point is?
His point is that we have to stop looking for excuses for that team. We're missing key ingredients, and it shows. We've been lacking some for a while too, and nothing in the system is going to likely become the ingredients we're missing.

Bergevin has to do some key moves this summer.

Clowe, Bickell, Clarkson... there are quite a few guys who could add an important dimension to that team. We'll see what happens, but looking for excuses is pointless, because the Sens can use a couple too.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:55 AM
gusfring

Quote:
...and your point is?
We aren't down due to injuries.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:56 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Apparently Edm is looking to move their 1st round pick (7th) for an established defensive dman and pick coming back. I thought Gorges+Montreals 1st for 7th OA would be a good trade, Edm fans were very interested aswell. We would have a shot at Barkov/Lindholm/Drouin if someone falls.

Our defence would miss Gorges but I think we could recover via rookies and FA quickly. I hope Bergeron is ready to make moves and willing to take some chances.
No chance in hell Oil trade a 7th for Gorges and a 24th overall. Get real. The fans there would riot. You can't be serious. Unbelievable.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:59 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
We aren't down due to injuries.
We aren't? Guess Emelin and Eller are nobodies. Guess missing MaxPac and Gionta in game 2 and are playing injured is nothing also...

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
We aren't? Guess Emelin and Eller are nobodies. Guess missing MaxPac and Gionta in game 2 and are playing injured is nothing also...
You think Michalek and Karlsson are 100%? You think missing Spezza doesn't show?

We're down for many reasons. Blaming injuries is silly.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:01 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Thank you. Some have said Savard could have been in Orr category without the broken legs. He is the greatest D man I have ever seen play for Habs. Anyone who disses him, can **** off.
Ya no, Larry Robinson for one says hi.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:04 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I think the rest of the league needs to get smaller.
If the hockey gets better, I agree.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:05 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Ya no, Larry Robinson for one says hi.
Savard was better than Robinson.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:06 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHJMQFan1 View Post
Just my opinion guys but the Habs do not necessarily have to get tougher. They rather have two opinions presented to them: Either they get bigger/tougher or they stop playing the tough game and start playing a fast-paced game. Nobody ever said that in order to win in playoffs you had to intimidate your opponents and win all the fights. What if the Habs would totally ignore all the physicality from the Sens, not start any scrum after the whistles ? I would drive the Sens crazy and most likely take them out of their game.

Montreal needs a way to get mentally stronger in the playoffs. It MB's solution is to get tougher/bigger, fine, but there are also other options to be successful in the playoffs.
The are getting mentally tougher in the PO, right now. It's called experience.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:08 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
Yes. They do. But MB can't do it over night. But signing DD was a mistake. It shows in playoffs
That's why we needed to see this. Bergy will deal with this mistake.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:10 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Gorges is 6 ft. Kaberle is not playing. Markov and PK are both at 6ft. Tinordi is a rookie, Emelin is not playing. Our D is very small and lacks physicality.

5'6, 5'7...what's the diff? DD is under 5'7 btw.

I don't understand this fear of getting bigger. No one is asking for big plugs who can't play hockey. We want a bigger, tougher team that CAN play hockey. Again, we are not skilled enough to be so small and soft.

A forward can skate by that dman, but how has that worked for us? The small forward can be neutralized in the playoffs. How many 5'8, 5'9 players do you know that are effective in the playoffs?
Everywhere I look lists Gorges as 6'1. I said Kaberle is not playing but he is still over 6 feet even if he plays soft. What does Tinordi being a rookie have to do with his height? Emelin is still part of the defense and will be back next season.

The difference between 5'6 and 5'7 is an inch last time I checked. And again everywhere I look lists DD as 5'7 not under it but at it.

Martin St Louis, Theo Fleury, etc. etc.

Nobody is saying we should not get bigger but you make it sound like it will be a breeze to bring in a bunch of talent giants....keep dreaming.