HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
CodeE

vCash: 500
Goalie really doesn't seem to be that strong this draft. The second-best guy behind Fucale is actually Mike Comrie's younger brother Eric. Jeff Tambellini's younger brother Adam is also eligible and will likely go in the top 3 rounds.

We've had so much success with David Toews and Blake Kessel...

Old
05-06-2013, 06:40 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
I dont know about this. Like the islanders, Montreal has depth but not many blue chip prospects. That 37th pick can be a potential 1st rounder.
And better chance picking a blue chipper 15th then 25th or 37th. Only reason I trade down is to pick a goalie then swing for the fences with the other pick, plus the fact the Islanders don't have a 2nd rounder. If the Islanders had there own 2nd rounder I probably would rather keep the 15th

Old
05-06-2013, 06:41 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Garth is still pissed that Columbus didn't take his 'all my picks for your pick' last year and is hell bent on getting it done this time. He's going to offer all of his picks to anyone in the top-10 who'll listen. Maybe Lou will take Snowie up on his offer this time.

Otherwise, I don't see the Isles moving up or down. The system is stocked and he can just sit back and take the BPA.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
For me, I'd take Ristolainen between the two (at this point in time). Like Konk mentioned, a Reinhart-Ristolainen would be a dream pair that is just too good for me to pass up.
I know he's who you've wanted all along!

Old
05-06-2013, 09:30 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
I know he's who you've wanted all along!
Haha, thanks for blowing my cover. Ristolainen has been very high on my radar for a while now. He's going to need a couple of more years, but he could be another tower of power on our blue line when he's ready.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I wouldn't say Zykov came out of nowhere. It was his first season in North America, and he produced incredibly well (40 goals). I can only imagine how well he plays in year 2 in the "Q". I can see him being one of the steals of the draft. He was well known as a good Russian prospect before he came over.
He definitely came out of nowhere. No one anticipated the year he's had.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Haha, thanks for blowing my cover. Ristolainen has been very high on my radar for a while now. He's going to need a couple of more years, but he could be another tower of power on our blue line when he's ready.
My bad!

It's all good though, I've kept no secrets about Lazar being my favorite pick for the Islanders in this draft. Underrated skill and an absolute battler. Some guys just know how to win.

He plays center and right wing and would look great with Tavares.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:06 AM
steveat

What would your reaction be if Garf drafted 7 goalies this year 8-)....well 6 since we don't have a 2nd..haha

Garth HAS to make moves this draft..he has a lot of assets that will be worthless after July 1st or whenever free agency starts. We have enough to comfortably give up a small army in a trade for someone decent..someone we need...whether that be a high draft pick or a proven player.

I just can't see him not play this card with all that he has to deal with. plus we are at our contract limit almost, so we do have to do some spring cleaning.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Would the Isles consider trading DOWN for a late 1st and a 2nd ?
There are a few posts above in this thread that have touched on this very idea.

We haven't seen a draft yet in Snow's period where he didn't have a top six pick. As such, it's hard to tell what the scouting group will be thinking going in.

I do believe there are a LOT of kids to like in no less than the top 60 this summer. There are a bunch of kids in that 7-20 range who I'm sure the various clubs have at different spots in their own rankings. Hard to tell who the Isles will be crazy about.

I see a lot of boys who seem to be swimming in the 22-45 range on various lists who I've been fortunate enough to see live in recent years, some on multiple occasions, and who I'd love to see this team draft. As usual, a couple of teams have several 1sts and/or 2nds, so it is highly conceivable that a team may be willing to swap their first, one of their 2nds and maybe more to move up 6-12 spots. It'll all depend on if Snow and co. feels confident enough to get who they want while dropping back. I would hope they actually do.:-)

The other thing is, could the team actually package something like Nino and the 1st to get into the top say 5-7, if there's one boy there who they're crazy about???

Old
05-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Goalie really doesn't seem to be that strong this draft. The second-best guy behind Fucale is actually Mike Comrie's younger brother Eric. Jeff Tambellini's younger brother Adam is also eligible and will likely go in the top 3 rounds.
The best goalie in this draft aside from Fucale could end up being Desrosiers (CAN) or Saros (FIN).

Old
05-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
You're getting virtually no offense fropm that pair. I like Ristolainen, but he's basically another Reinhart. I rather we pick Pulock if he's available, a PP QB at the point with a booming shot, AND adds some grit.
In addition, the Isles already have their Ristolainen - His name is Pokka. Seriously, there isn't all that much difference between the two of them, even if Pokka is more of a thinker out there and Ristolainen a thoroughbred.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
What about Goalie? You think Garth goes for one in the first round? We need to draft one but we also need a winger to play with JT. I feel like we have a good amount of depth with D-men since we drafted 7 last year.
Anything can happen.

Naturally, we've not seen the Isles take a goalie in round one in Snow's tenure, but there's also no history of first having a pick around spot 15 in his tenure either.

In addition, taking a goalie now - even a real good one - would essentially, in my opinion, be a statement to the effect that having grabbed Koskinen at 31 and Nilsson the next round later has proven to be an utter failure. Would seem to me that this team still needs to find out if its long term goaltending solution isn't already right here in the system.

Nabokov can right the ship while this question is being processed.

Also, I know nothing about Fucale, so I really can't comment on his possibilities, but I guess one can always be naturally sceptical about the junior success of a goalie when he's playing for a powerhouse.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
....for the simple fact that we are busting at the seems with trade assets.

We got rights to Aucoin, Reasoner, Boyes and Streit that we could use as leverage.
Hmmm, gotta think that these are getting us nothing. MAYBE the rights to Streit could be moved la Ehrhoff a few years back, but I'd still be pretty surprised.

There's no reason to mention Aucoin or Reasoner.

Quote:
We also have prospect assets like DeHaan, Hickey, Kabanov, Kitchton..basically a whole stash of prospects ready to hit the ice...no more developing needed or a lot less than drafting a fresh kid.
Well, it seems that Kichton is simply walking. Nothing going there. Would be great if Snow could even move his rights for a 7th rounder at this point.

Both de Haan and Kabanov pretty much missed this past season and when Kabanov played, there wasn't exactly impressive production worth mentioning being generated there. Doubt either is going anywhere unless they're pure throw-ins and well, that doesn't seem to be Snow's style. It'd be pretty sad to move de Haan like that after what Snow was willing to move to get de Haan.

I'd be surprised to see Hickey moved. Looks like he earned another year here. I don't see how we get better by cutting him loose - not for draft picks.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

We haven't seen a draft yet in Snow's period where he didn't have a top six pick. As such, it's hard to tell what the scouting group will be thinking going in.

I do believe there are a LOT of kids to like in no less than the top 60 this summer. There are a bunch of kids in that 7-20 range who I'm sure the various clubs have at different spots in their own rankings. Hard to tell who the Isles will be crazy about.

I see a lot of boys who seem to be swimming in the 22-45 range on various lists who I've been fortunate enough to see live in recent years, some on multiple occasions, and who I'd love to see this team draft. As usual, a couple of teams have several 1sts and/or 2nds, so it is highly conceivable that a team may be willing to swap their first, one of their 2nds and maybe more to move up 6-12 spots. It'll all depend on if Snow and co. feels confident enough to get who they want while dropping back. I would hope they actually do.:-)

The other thing is, could the team actually package something like Nino and the 1st to get into the top say 5-7, if there's one boy there who they're crazy about???
I haven't given up on Nino. IMO he will be very good with Tavares for many years to come when the moulsons and boyeses of the world are gone.to trade a number 1 pick and a top 5 from 3 years ago who is like 19 or 20 years old for a 5-7 pick is not the way to go.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:22 AM
JKP

Quote:
Also, I know nothing about Fucale, so I really can't comment on his possibilities, but I guess one can always be naturally sceptical about the junior success of a goalie when he's playing for a powerhouse.
Fucale is a big reason why they are a powerhouse. In 11-12 he supplanted the starter as a 16 year old and was co-MVP with MacKinnon.

I've seen a lot of Fucale live. He's a really good goalie and a huge part of the moosehead's success. He'd be a great pick in the mid first.

FYI, mooseheads are playing gm 3 tonight for Q championship and haven't lost a game in the playoffs yet - 3 straight series sweeps. Kind of sucks for playoff game tickets - not enough games to go see.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
scott99

Quote:
He definitely came out of nowhere. No one anticipated the year he's had.
Either way, this is no one year wonder. He is what he is, a power forward/goal scorer. 40 goals as a 17 year old in your first year in North America. That's nothing to take lightly (new country, trying to learn a new language, etc).

Old
05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Konk

Quote:
Either way, this is no one year wonder. He is what he is, a power forward/goal scorer. 40 goals as a 17 year old in your first year in North America. That's nothing to take lightly (new country, trying to learn a new language, etc).
No one said one year wonder. Neither did anyone say his season is being taken lightly.

Zykov's numbers outside of the Q (Russia, internationally) are unimpressive. You always have to be weary, because fact of the matter is we don't know if he can keep up this kind of production, improve on it, or fall back down to earth. There's no frame of reference for his development.

To add to the argument that he came out of absolute obscurity: in 2011-2012 in the MHL he had 11 points in 52 games, his teammate Sergey Tolchinsky had 34 points in 51 games.

Like I said, you always have to be careful with those guys that come out of nowhere and put up a good season because we know even less about them and they're even more difficult to project.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:19 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I agree they should look good, but I find it interesting that you listed Parenteau over guys like Duchene and ROR. I like PAP, but he's older than Moulson - a guy who Isles fans generally don't include when discussing how bright our future is.
i was just wondering the same. PAP is not a corner stone to success.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:13 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

We haven't seen a draft yet in Snow's period where he didn't have a top six pick.

2007, he trades the first in a package for Ryan. That year we had no first.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:24 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Lovin' that I haven't checked this thread in MONTHS. OK... headed out.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:51 PM
duster19

Quote:
No one said one year wonder. Neither did anyone say his season is being taken lightly.

Zykov's numbers outside of the Q (Russia, internationally) are unimpressive. You always have to be weary, because fact of the matter is we don't know if he can keep up this kind of production, improve on it, or fall back down to earth. There's no frame of reference for his development.

To add to the argument that he came out of absolute obscurity: in 2011-2012 in the MHL he had 11 points in 52 games, his teammate Sergey Tolchinsky had 34 points in 51 games.

Like I said, you always have to be careful with those guys that come out of nowhere and put up a good season because we know even less about them and they're even more difficult to project.
didnt see games 3 & 4 against the moose, but he was invisible games 1 & 2. Baie Comeau is actually pretty weak, not really sure how they ended up 2nd in the Q.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:07 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
didnt see games 3 & 4 against the moose, but he was invisible games 1 & 2. Baie Comeau is actually pretty weak, not really sure how they ended up 2nd in the Q.
Pretty unfair to call out one guy. The Halifax Moose didn't lose ONE playoff game, I believe. Zykov had a very good season, even if the Moose shut him down, still wound up with 18 points in 18 playoff games, which was 3rd on the team (behind two 20 year olds !). Still pretty impressive. I'm very high on the guy and if we are at #15 at the draft (hoping we are lower), I would love to pick him. His ratings are all over the place though, I believe ISS has him at #15, the Hockey news has him in the early 30's.

Valentin Zykov
Right Wing
Born May 15 1995 -- St.Petersburg, Russia
[17 yrs. ago]
Height 6.01 -- Weight 215 -- Shoots R

Tweet Regular Season Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2012-13 Baie-Comeau Drakkar QMJHL 67 40 35 75 60 29

Playoffs
2012-13 Baie-Comeau Drakkar QMJHL 18 9 9 18 16

Old
05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post

We've had so much success with David Toews and Blake Kessel...
You forgot Brett Lindros and Martin Kariya LOL

Old
05-09-2013, 03:17 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
You forgot Brett Lindros and Martin Kariya LOL
we had Gretzky's little brother in our minor system once, I believe. Brent?

Old
05-10-2013, 12:19 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

PW, this one's for you..

I see a top 10-12 guys I really love with a few build in tiers. If we pick at #15 and one of these guys doesn't fall to us, a few guys that I really like are:

Frederik Gauthier 19 Rimouski (QMJHL) Apr. 26/95 C L 6'5/210 62 22 38 60
- A point a game, thinks the game well, good two way player, and 6'5 210 with good wheels...Yes, I said 6'5.. size matters!!

Valentin Zykov 29 Baie Comeau (QMJHL) May 15/95 RW R 6'0/210 67 40 35 75
- Over a point a game in his first year in North America. Built very solid at 210-215 pounds. Skates well and an intelligent player...

Mirco Mueller 35 Everett (WHL) Mar. 21/95 D L 6'3/184 63 6 25 31
- I feel like this guy is the forgotten D-man. Intelligent with a game reminiscent of last year's top D-man, Ryan Murray. Perhaps this is because Mirco learned from playing with Ryan, as they were teammates last year in Everett. Mirco plays an intelligent game, but has great size at 6'3 and close to 190 pounds. A Swiss player that Mark Streit can take under his wing.

Justin Bailey 45 Kitchener (OHL) Jul. 1/95 C/RW R 6'3/194 57 17 19 36
- This is my sleeper pick. I love the fact that he is a 6'3, righty sniper. He was a bit inconsistant in his first year of Canadian junior league hockey, but he scores goal scorer's goals, has plenty of size, passion and ability. Throws the body around. Hits, skates and scores.... I see him as a potential 20-25 goal man that can provide secondary scoring if he pans out...

Those are my four guys at the #15 slot to look at. 3 of the 4 are 6'3 or taller. Zykov is the only one not at least 6'3, but he is hardly small at 6'0 and a solid 210 pounds at 17 years old.

If you are wondering why Zadorov or Pulock aren't on the list, they are the last two defenseman I have as part of my top 10-13 players.. Actually, here are my top players before I look at the 4 guys I mention above:
Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, Nichushkin, Ristolainen, Nurse, Monahan, Lindholm, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Shinkaruk, Domi, Pulock. Although I am not sure I would take Shinkaruk and Pulock above the 4 guys I mentioned.

Closed Thread