HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Russia Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Fantomas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
why is markov 50/50? is he that bad these days ?
Some people are just being silly. He has to be a virtual lock at this point.

On another matter, I'm astounded that people are off the Varlamov bandwagon. He is still our #1.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yakupov was on a pro-rated goal pace of 30+ as a rookie in the NHL and played much of the season on the Oilers third line.

If Russia is actually interested in icing the best possible roster, he's on the team IMO. There aren't 12 better Russian forwards better than him.
It's not that simple. Russia only has 2 elite centers, 4th line will likely be a checking line and the 3rd line a 2-way line. First, Yakupov's 2-way game leaves to be desired, and second, he won't be effective without a great playmaker, and holy hell, he needs a gargantuan leap ahead in progress to be ahead of Syomin or Radulov.

Quote:
why is markov 50/50? is he that bad these days ?
He isn't bad, he's just not as good as he used to be.

Quote:
Only thing I am confident of is that we won't see many defensemen from the NHL (Probably only Voynov, Kulikov, Emelin, maybe Markov).
Why no Tyutin? He may not excel on any side of the game, but he's good at everything, is adapted to a big role and is well experienced.

Quote:
On the goalie situation, I feel it should be Yeryomenko, Barulin and one of Varlamov/Bobrovsky
A goalie with no experience playing against NHL style forwards won't start a game in the tournament stacked with great NHL forwards.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
It's not that simple. Russia only has 2 elite centers, 4th line will likely be a checking line and the 3rd line a 2-way line. First, Yakupov's 2-way game leaves to be desired, and second, he won't be effective without a great playmaker, and holy hell, he needs a gargantuan leap ahead in progress to be ahead of Syomin or Radulov.

He isn't bad, he's just not as good as he used to be.

Why no Tyutin? He may not excel on any side of the game, but he's good at everything, is adapted to a big role and is well experienced.

A goalie with no experience playing against NHL style forwards won't start a game in the tournament stacked with great NHL forwards.
I agree. Tyutin and Emelin are needed to provide an element of toughness to the defense. Both players have performed very well at the NT level on a number of occasions.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:34 AM
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps

Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
I wouldn't have Yeryomenko as the starter, but I would have him in the three

Old
05-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Namba 17

The closer the Games the more interesting to make predictions Now we can base on the NHL - KHL - international seasons.
I guess we have some combinations of forvards, which are locked. To my mind they are:
Kulemin - Malkin - ?
Ovechkin - Datsuk - Semin
Kovalchuk - ? - Radulov
? - ? - ?
+ we have Tereshenko locked as well.
Let me explain.
1. Kulemin played very well with Malkin in KHL + we lack forvard of his type + Bill like hard-workers of his type very much + Malkin need hard-worked decent scorer - so here he is. I'd consider Popov-Malkin-Perezhogin line, if not the last international games - they've been simply holes and they are quite aged players, so, I don't expect them to be in Sochi. This line need good finisher. We have at least 4 opportunities for this role - Mozyakin, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Yakupov. Kuznetsov looks worse and worse to me, I don't think he will even make the team, not to say about first line. Yakupov and Tarasenko are young players with limited int experience (Yak - none) and first NHL year both. Mozyakin is proved KHL big rink sniper-veteran with not-that-well international shows. I giuess the decision should be based on the next year appearance. The better man should take the place.
2. I guess, no questions should be at all. Ovi+Semin - proved combination, Semin had solid season and Dats - exact the man they both need.
3. As I predicted, Kovi and Rady - exellent pair. They shold be together. The main question to me - who will be the center for them? We have 3 options, I guess - Tereshenko, Anisimov and Tikhonov. I think everything is in Anisimov hands and in his next NHL season. If he continues to improve - he might take it. If not, I think, Tereshenko might. But Bill had an opportunity to check each of this combination, but rejected. It might mean, he sees some other variant. I don't know which, probably, Loktionov, but he is not good enough for me.
4. I'd simple take the present 4th line Soin-Svitov-Kokarev, they looked decent to me. If both Tarasenko and Yakupov have greate next season, I'd take Yak for the 1-st line and Taras for the 4th instead of Kokarev.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Namba 17

So, let's consider, that Yak, Taras and Anisimov all have great next season. In this case, I'd take this team:
Kulemin - Malkin - Yakupov
Kovalchuk - Anisimov - Radulov
Soin - Svitov - Tarasenko
Tereshenko.
But I think, Bill will do smth like this:
Kulemin - Malkin - Mozyakin
Kovalchuk - Tereshenko - Radulov
Soin - Svitov - Kokarev
Anisimov

Old
05-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Namba 17

As for goalkeepers - the situation is very good for us, I think. We have Bobrovsky, Varlamov, Bryzgalov and even Nabokov in NHL and Barulin, Koshechkin, Yeremenko in KHL. As Yeremenko has some conflict with Bill, he can't be counted, but I think we'll do well without him too. So, its 6 men for 3 places. Doesn't matter who exactly. Anyone from the list - who will be better at the monent. If Bob will play, like he did this year, I'd take him and Varly as backup option and Bryz as 3-d.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Namba 17

As for D. I think, Voinov deserved a place, and Markov proved himself as worth a place. So, as for me, we have a list, consisted of:
Nikulin
Birukov
Medvedev
Voinov
Kulikov
Emelin
Markov
Gonchar (?)

I still don't like Tutin and don't know if Nikitin will be ready to play at big rinks. Volchenkov is not good on big ice. And I don't know what to do with Gonchar - he played excellent last season, but we have Voinov as younger option of ofencive-D. So it's ? to me.

I guess, Nikulin is locked As for others. I still think we still have good ready pair - Markov - Emelin.
Voinov needs good def-minded D, we don't have But I'd pared him with Medvedev and keep Nikulin - Birukov pair or try Nikulin - Kulikov. So, our D might be like this:
Markov - Emelin
Voinov - Medvedev
Nikulin - Birukov
Kulikov.
Not good enough, but we don't have anything better.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:40 AM
MaxV

Kulemin is FAR from a lock. As a matter of fact, I don't think he'll make it.

It doesn't bode well for Kuznetsov's chances that he didn't get invited to the WHC.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Hockeysemin

I don't think we should count out Kuznetsov yet. He still had a pretty good year, not great but not bad either. And hopefully this (didn't make WC team) will make him work even harder and better next year. But i agree it doesn't look good for him right now, especially considering how Bilya is building his team.

I also think Datsyuk should be playing with Kovalchuk and Radulov, they looked amazing during the EHT in Moscow earlier this season.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Namba 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Kulemin is FAR from a lock.
OK, than name LW, can take this place. I don't see better option.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Namba 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulle View Post
I also think Datsyuk should be playing with Kovalchuk and Radulov,
If so, than who will play with Ovi-Semin? Kovi-Rady can play without center, but Ovi-Semin can not.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:52 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

What are Kulikovs chances of making this team?

Old
05-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Kulemin is FAR from a lock. As a matter of fact, I don't think he'll make it.
That's not what matter of fact means.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
kiluj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namba 17 View Post
If so, than who will play with Ovi-Semin? Kovi-Rady can play without center, but Ovi-Semin can not.
Kovalchuk-Malkin-Radulov
Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin
Mozyakin-Tereschenko/Tihonov/Anisimov-Kulemin
Kokarev-Anisimov/Svitov-Soin/Shirokov/Petrov

Dunno about D-men, but 1 pair is most likely:
Nikulin-Medvedev

Goalie: Varlamov/Bobrovsky/Barulin

Old
05-07-2013, 10:47 PM
RedAce

I pray it something like this

Kulemin-Malkin- Radulov
Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Kuznetsov
Ovechkin-Anisimov Semin
Mozyakin-Loktionov-Tarasenko

Old
05-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Etihader
Rookie User

I think it would be stupid to kick out Terescshenko from the current line. They have good chemistry with Radu and Kovi and we need to keep this for the Olympics.

Second line would be Semin - Malkin - Ovechkin.

And we can build a pretty good third line if we put Datsyuk there. I think this will be quite wise, as both Malkin/Ovi and Radu/Kovi can create good chances themselves. While other forwards could shine having Dats on the line. I would see this line something like Yakupov - Datsyuk - Tarasenko.

And fourth line should be really checking line. Anisimov, Tikhonov, Kulemin, etc.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Etihader
Rookie User

For the rest, it is pretty straightforward.

Goalies - Bobrovsky, Varlamov, Bryzgalov

Defenders:
Voynov - Tyutin
Medvedev - Emelin
Belov - Biryukov
and no Nikulin!!!

Old
05-15-2013, 03:19 PM
losingsand

Voynov // Sochi // 2014

I posed the question before the season started whether Voynov would be on team Russia in next year's winter olympics... Posted it in the Kings board and it seemed that half of the kings fans feel like he would make the team, the other half saying he wouldn't based on inexperience and KHL politics.

However after this season's performance I would say that the majority of kings fans would say that he's a lock to make the russian squad. Those of us who seem everyday know that we have a special D-man to hopefully be part of the kings core for the future. Without Voynov, we don't ship Jack Johnson for Jeff Carter... and we all know that the Jeff Carter trade might be the most impactful trade deadline move in the NHL in a long time.

other current Russian NHL defeseman:
Gonchar // Markov // Tyutin // Volchenkov // Babchuk // Kulikov // Nikitin // Orlov // Emelin

Voynov is showing that he knows how to play in big moments and is currently logging a lot more minutes in this year's playoffs with the absence of Mitchell. 3 GWG's for a defenseman already is a kings franchise record. He's a +25 in 2 half seasons and 2 playoff series so far.

Still wondering if the league is noticing this guy.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:31 PM
NiKrejci

After looking at that list all I can think is Russia really needs better defenseman. Voynov is almost certainly a lock.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Babchuk and Volchenkov are terrible.

Gonchar and Markov are both elder statesman, so one of them might get over looked. If I'm not mistaken, Russia has already over looked Markov once before.

So, that would leave you with Gonchar, Tyutin, Nikitin, Kulikov, Emelin, Voynov and Orlov.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Reclamation Project
What will we do?

Voynov is a stud and given his big game experience, he's definitely going to be on Team Russia. One of the more promising young defenseman in the NHL regardless of country. Very happy he's on the Kings.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Are we purposely excluding KHL players?

Old
05-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Paxton Fettel

Let's be realty : KHLers, at the exeption of a couple of guys, are not good enough.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:16 PM
kp61c

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
Let's be realty : KHLers, at the exeption of a couple of guys, are not good enough.
i don't see any hordes of russian players on the horizon whom bill doesn't invite because of them being nhlers. close to a half of our team will be from the khl

Last edited by kp61c: 05-15-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Closed Thread