HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 10:52 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Mueller plays for Everette. Shea Theodore plays for Seattle.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Oliver Bjorkstrand a likely second rounder plays for Portland too.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
er.. How the hell did I end up on the silvertips' roster

My mistake

Old
05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Yeah. At this point, I'm looking at either Nurse or Ristolainen if they're there, or Pulock or Zadorov. I'm not THAT high on Zadorov. Frankly I need to see more offensive tendencies from him to believe that he can be what this team needs. I like Pulock a lot. He's a very well rounded, all situation d-man and has a bomb of a shot.
In case anyone is interested, there are some new consolidated profiles for some of the possible Flyer 1st rd prospects over on hbuzz. Aggregates many of the pro/amateur scouting commentary pro/con and vids and more...note, these are done by exlund not eklund

Darnell Nurse
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106806

Ryan Pulock
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106801

Nikita Zadorov
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106797

Rasmus Ristolainen
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106838

Valeri Nichushkin
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106836

Old
05-07-2013, 11:23 AM
ORYX

Horvat is a very strong defensive player with offensive instincts and ability. Scored last night from his belly.

IMO, he projects to be a very good third line shutdown center, or top out as a strong second liner. The comparisons to bergeron and backes are fairly accurate, though he doesnt possess quite the caliber of raw offense as bergeron does. I think Ryan O'Reilly is a very fair comparison.

Justin Bailey is a very raw prospect, he has been rated as high as top 30, as low as 50 or so. He has played only one season in the OHL, and showed flashes of brilliance around the net. He's big, he goes to the net, has very slick hands, a strong stride, he's only going to get better and better. If he is available at 40, I'd take him unless someone really good slides. He is the son of Former NFL'er Carlton Bailey, who played 10+ years at LB with the Bills.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Krishna

Exlund's quoted scout questioned Zadorov's defense

Most scouts have said he could step into the NHL this coming season and be used as a D man like Luke Schenn, but letting him stay in the OHL another year will develop his offense as he'd be used in a more offensive role

Old
05-07-2013, 12:34 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

Most scouts have said he could step into the NHL this coming season and be used as a D man like Luke Schenn, but letting him stay in the OHL another year will develop his offense as he'd be used in a more offensive role

Well, it's not like the kid has no room for improvement on D...and Schenn had his struggles in Toronto as a very young player. I would expect that both aspects of the game will likely see growth next season, which should, for his own good, be spent in the OHL.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:

Obviously I disagree with the defensive part, but he was quoting McKeen. If Im not mistaken they are also a "scouting" group and a well known one. Prospect board respects what they bring out from there. Their draft guide (which one has to pay for) is extremely good. Like we all know though, some scouts are high on Zadorov and some arent. Happens at every draft.

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft-b...tale-progress/

It is kinda weird though that Zadorov isnt awarded ANY pk time. I know London has some great defenders, but one would think he would be used there.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd be cool drafting Z, even if his defensive ability leaves something to be desired. The kid is 18, I would imagine he has to improve his defense, as well as his offense, skating, etc.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:36 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd be cool drafting Z, even if his defensive ability leaves something to be desired. The kid is 18, I would imagine he has to improve his defense, as well as his offense, skating, etc.
I'd be fine also (well if Risto was already taken). It is weird though. One scouting agency says he is iffy on defense. Another says on offense. One lists him top 10 and the other 20.

The jury really is out there on Zadorov. I get that feeling he is a sink or swim player.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Zadorov supposedly has a strong work ethic -- and has D comparable to L. Schenn -- but Zadorov's offensive upside is unknown, while L.Schenn's (ignoring bad scouting) it was pretty well understood his offensive input would be marginal (besides a good upside for outlet passing).

Old
05-07-2013, 02:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'd be fine also (well if Risto was already taken). It is weird though. One scouting agency says he is iffy on defense. Another says on offense. One lists him top 10 and the other 20.

The jury really is out there on Zadorov. I get that feeling he is a sink or swim player.
The thing is this: These scouts have to say something negative about these guys. I'm not saying they are wrong, because they are professional scouts who have seen him a lot more than I have, but I wouldn't put too much stock into the fact that there is not a consensus on him. Truth be told, he probably needs work on everything, like all these guys.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:38 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
In case anyone is interested, there are some new consolidated profiles for some of the possible Flyer 1st rd prospects over on hbuzz. Aggregates many of the pro/amateur scouting commentary pro/con and vids and more...note, these are done by exlund not eklund

Darnell Nurse
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106806

Ryan Pulock
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106801

Nikita Zadorov
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106797

Rasmus Ristolainen
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106838

Valeri Nichushkin
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106836
From all of those I think pulock has the chance to do the best and is the guy I officially want.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:53 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Yeah Pulock is the guy I want too, especially if Ristolainen and Nurse are off the board.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Don't get me wrong, I like Pulock, but I'm really hoping that it's Josh Morrissey. The more video that I get, the more and more it makes too much sense for Morrissey to be a Flyer. Just a perfect fit for what the Flyers need on the blue line. A mobile, hard shooting, physical defenseman that can really move the puck, quarterback the power play and is responsible in his own zone. I don't see what there isn't to like about Morrissey's game. He's pretty close to being the complete player. He just needs to physically mature a bit (he's still a bit light at 180 pounds) and once he does, he's going to be well worth the wait.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:51 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Yeah Pulock is the guy I want too, especially if Ristolainen and Nurse are off the board.
My list right now looks like this:

(assuming no, Jones, Mac, Drouin, Barkov)

If available at 11 (in order of preference):

Nichushkin
Nurse
Zadorov
Pulock
Lindholm
Shinkaruk
Ristolainen
Monahan

Old
05-07-2013, 06:54 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like Pulock, but I'm really hoping that it's Josh Morrissey. The more video that I get, the more and more it makes too much sense for Morrissey to be a Flyer. Just a perfect fit for what the Flyers need on the blue line. A mobile, hard shooting, physical defenseman that can really move the puck, quarterback the power play and is responsible in his own zone. I don't see what there isn't to like about Morrissey's game. He's pretty close to being the complete player. He just needs to physically mature a bit (he's still a bit light at 180 pounds) and once he does, he's going to be well worth the wait.
Also like the sounds of that. I want a guy that's smart and physical. Not a player that may be good offensively but is the target of other teams defensively like letang and green.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
My list right now looks like this:

(assuming no, Jones, Mac, Drouin, Barkov)

If available at 11 (in order of preference):

Nichushkin
Nurse
Zadorov
Pulock
Lindholm
Shinkaruk
Ristolainen
Monahan
What. You lost me here

Old
05-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I like him also. He would be a nice fit here in Philly and really is what the Flyers are lacking on the blueline. I would be fine if they selected him. But I have been digging up info and I am really juiced about the potenial of Sam Morin. I know you are not high on this kid, but his ceiling is off the charts. A 6'7" 17 year old may be well worth the wait to. From reading what the so called experts have to say about this kid, he is just starting to round out his game and although he is not the offensive whiz as Joshua he is no slacker. I like him over Zadorov hands down. Not even a question in my mind. I know that is not a popular opinion on this board. But like I stated before. Unless the Flyers screw up and pick Fucale. We will get a fine player.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:15 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
What. You lost me here

Lem-me splain...

Nichushkin - probably won't drop -- too good to pass up at #11 as the best player available.

Nurse - size, mobility, athleticism, desire/work ethic, a mean streak and a strong two-way game...already had the shutdown game, now proving he has the offense to match.

Zadorov - Immense size but quite mobile, relishes the rough part of the game, developing his offensive game, moves the puck well, has some moves and a heavy shot... has raw skills and tools to someday become a formidable two-way force int he NHL.

Pulock - Dynamic offense and good D...strong character, good skating, ok size

Lindholm - Offensively gifted, very good skater, can play C/RW... -- 30 pts (11g 19a) in 48 games in the Swedish Elitserien is no joke at his age, at 18 he led all players under 20 in pts-- defensively solid/excellent backchecker, works hard on the ice at both ends...very good on faceoffs.

Shinkaruk - Has high-end, almost elite level hands and stickhandling skills, is lethal as a goal scorer in tight and has a very good wrist shot ...skates well and finds dangerous areas to go with and without the puck...has vision and playmaking skills... on the small side but uses his body very well to protect the puck...wide eyed and smiling kid off the ice who loves to compete on it. When I first saw him I thought of Patrick Kane, someone I paid close attention to in his draft year.

Ristolainen - Decent size and experienced in playing against men. Moves the puck well and has the tools to be a fine two-way player, but needs to develop more consistent production from the back end and refine his defensive game. Could be a quality top 4 d man for a long time.

Monahan - Very good two-way center...I don't know why, but I am left thinking he won't find it that easy to get the scoring chances and make the plays he does in Jr., at the NHL level. I know that's kind of a given...but I'm saying I don't think he will have as much time and space as he had and may lack the creativity, acceleration and lateral movement in his skating to make the space he needs to succeed. I see him as a decent #2/3 center on most teams. Even if my feelings on the player are wrong, I am factoring in the Flyers needs, and I think they are pretty deep in the young, two-way C department. If all of those other players are gone, I'm sure the Flyers can't resist a two way center with size, so he's there...but hey, I might even go Morrissey at that point, though I'm not sure, that could be too much of a reach at #11.

Last edited by fauxflex: 05-07-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old
05-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Krishna

I understand why you put him at the bottom, but you always go BPA. If Monahan is available at 11, you take him. Monahan and Laughton will be putting pressure on Couturier to finally show up offensively. If he doesn't show up, you move him for a D man.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:43 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
I understand why you put him at the bottom, but you always go BPA. If Monahan is available at 11, you take him. Monahan and Laughton will be putting pressure on Couturier to finally show up offensively. If he doesn't show up, you move him for a D man.
Every year there are rankings by CSS/ISS etc., many of which end up being dead wrong years later. So, I think the notion of "BPA" as we discuss it, is somewhat arbitrary...some notion based largely on speculation of a few rating agencies that are often wrong when it comes to exact rankings of prospect potential. A team's internal board may be quite different, but even they are subject to being wrong a lot. The Flyers usually do well with their 1st rd picks...we'll see.

While I do not advocate reaching too far off board due to a specific need, I do feel that a GM can make a reasonable decision to go with, say, a defenseman rated within the same realm, in terms of net value, as a Center who they might have a bit higher ranked, based on organizational need and recognition of the evolving player marketplace. Top pairing type defensemen and prospects are at a premium.

Say we take Monahan (if he should drop), and the scenario you mention plays out. Who is this D man we could get, and what else would we have to include in the deal, besides the kid who hasn't shown up offensively yet?

Old
05-08-2013, 05:26 AM
Cardds

Seth Jones could have gone to NJ

if they weren't 4-0-1 this year against the Flyers. Also, with the 3-0 loss to them in April, Flyers got 11th instead of 13th.

Old
05-08-2013, 06:05 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Eh, you could say that about any team. If the Flyers would have lost more games, they would have been first too.

Old
05-08-2013, 06:41 AM
RoDu

Quote:
if he doesn't show up, it lessens his trade value, and what he can fetch us

Closed Thread