HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Will Switzerland medal in this year's WC?

View Poll Results: Will Switzerland medal at this year's World Championships?
Yes 70 39.55%
No 107 60.45%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-07-2013, 09:48 AM
goodoldhockeygame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
I have no idea where that "we always lose to some weak team" crap we keep hearing among Swiss comes from. Before the loss to France last year, there was a tie against Austria in 2004 and a loss againt France in 2000, not exactly a regular occurence. Unless of course you consider Norway, Latvia or Germany to be weak teams, but as far as I'm concerned, those are good teams and winning two out of three games (just throwing numbers here, don't quote me on this) against them is a strong achievement.

And regarding choking in the quarterfinals, Switzerland played in eight and lost seven, but only one of those was against a team they should have beaten (2010 against Germany). Six times they lost against a way better team (and in four of those, they were able to keep the game close), so I don't think the choker label applies.
yeah of course theyre not choking cause they played almost everytime better opponents. but who you think they will play this year........right....better opponent. And I think at this stage of the tournament it will be way harder to beat this teams. I dont say its impossible but imo its more likely that they will exit in qf...

goodoldhockeygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:04 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassse34 View Post
yeah of course theyre not choking cause they played almost everytime better opponents. but who you think they will play this year........right....better opponent. And I think at this stage of the tournament it will be way harder to beat this teams. I dont say its impossible but imo its more likely that they will exit in qf...
I actually agree with that. Too bad they kept that stupid quarterfinal schedule, because apart from Russia the Helsinki pool seems weaker than the Stockholm one.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:45 AM
torero

I believe that they are likely to achieve a medal this year.

They may loose some points vs some weaker teams ... but ultimately will make it.

So far, they beat Sweden, Canada and the Czechs. It is not that they upset someone and lost to Sweden 7-1 or something like that. And not with luck, with a super hot goalie ... NO, They beat these teams plainly and simply.

Therefore the psychological factor of chocking isn't present. They know, now, that by playing their game ... they have a chance. And pressure is as much on their shoulders than on a Canada that could be eliminated in QF's or any other team.

On top of that, all results are tight this year (no blow out 14-1 or ... such scores) with shoots-on-goals often in favour of the weaker team.
Therefore another "weaker" team sneaking into the top 4 isn't out of question.

Bottom line : if they finish first, they will simply have the weakest of the 4 best of the group.

Whatever ... this year, odds are more than ever, in favour of them obtaining a medal. so Hop Schwiz

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:58 AM
NewHopeForEveryone

no way...end

and btw...someone mentioned that canada play tough only when it matters....yeeeah of course...thats the reason why they played like **** 2 periods of 3 last year against Slovakia

NewHopeForEveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post

And regarding choking in the quarterfinals, Switzerland played in eight and lost seven, but only one of those was against a team they should have beaten (2010 against Germany). Six times they lost against a way better team (and in four of those, they were able to keep the game close), so I don't think the choker label applies.
So they're 0-6 in QF (0-8 in Medal Round) against the better teams-what's their record against those same teams in the Preliminary Round?

Uncle Rotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Oyabun

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
I believe that they are likely to achieve a medal this year.

They may loose some points vs some weaker teams ... but ultimately will make it.

So far, they beat Sweden, Canada and the Czechs. It is not that they upset someone and lost to Sweden 7-1 or something like that. And not with luck, with a super hot goalie ... NO, They beat these teams plainly and simply.

Therefore the psychological factor of chocking isn't present. They know, now, that by playing their game ... they have a chance. And pressure is as much on their shoulders than on a Canada that could be eliminated in QF's or any other team.

On top of that, all results are tight this year (no blow out 14-1 or ... such scores) with shoots-on-goals often in favour of the weaker team.
Therefore another "weaker" team sneaking into the top 4 isn't out of question.

Bottom line : if they finish first, they will simply have the weakest of the 4 best of the group.

Whatever ... this year, odds are more than ever, in favour of them obtaining a medal. so Hop Schwiz
Can't disagree with that. Keep in mind though that the stronger teams are likely to get some quality reinforcements as the tournament progresses.

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 06:00 PM
ugrimugri*

50/50 chance at medalling this year - this team is good and I can see them beating the russians as well, if they should end up against them in the semifinals.

If they can avoid meeting CAN again this year, they actually even have a chance to win the whole thing. I really wish they get at least a medal this time, since they really have deserved it.

ugrimugri* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:48 AM
SwissGrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkan View Post
Kinda lame that the quarter finals are still within the same group...
well it makes the last game a little more interesting because you can try to give up point to reach a certain position in order to face in the quarter an opponent that you have already faced and you maybe "like" more.
Well I don't like these arrangements, but sure they are good for discussions.

SwissGrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Canuck21t

I really would love to see Switzerland win a medal. Hockey needs another strong nation, especially now that the Czech Republic and Slovakia seem to be in decline. The more the better.

Having said that, win a medal, but not over Canada .

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:24 PM
torero

We better finish first in our group (i know ... easy to say !)

like this we probably will avoid Canada and Sweden. Somehow i feel that the Czechs will be easier than these two.
I personally prefer them to fight among them. No need for us to go and battle with them.

And seriously, in the other group, non seems unbeatable ! So if we finish firsts ... a beautiful door of higher probability opens up for a medal.

Then, we probably will meet the winner between Canada and Sweden in final.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:15 PM
hirawl
Used Register

I hope they did, but hey, no chance.

hirawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Reznor

I wouldn't say no chance, it will be very hard but the czechs don't seem unbeattable this year if they play against them in the quaters. After that they could take a shot for bronze.
A lot of things can happen in this type of tournament, even if they don't have a big chance of success, I think that they are on the good way.

Reznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:39 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
yep... not much more to say, that's the way I feel as well. I don't have high expectations for the rounds coming. They might soon run out of fuel with they way the have been hustling to get those wins. There's still hope though that Monnet and Bürgler might step in and take the charge while some other guys can get some rest. Any unbiased swiss fan would be stunned if they win a medal, it would come close to a miracle (it's debatable whether a minor or a major miracle, though. Don't get me wrong; they have a good team, they show a lot of perseverance and so far they have played great. We all know that the teams they have defeated can turn up the heat considerably, though - and there's still Russia, Finland, and the U.S.

I must also say that, even if they can't keep up the pace, it's still been an exciting showing though. Even with what they've achieved so far they have exceeded expectations and made a lot of swiss fans very happy.
This needs to be quoted, because it really hits the nail in the head.

Most of the top countries tend to start these games slow. Especially Russia and Canada just have the tendency to coast and just give it the minimal effort required to make the medal round - and then they will unleash their true potential. The Swedes, Czechs and Finns may start a little clumsy, but their aim is to get gradually better as the tournament advances, with the aim that the QF is the apex of their journey.

Now, when you have a "lesser" (pardon the expression, hope I don't degrade) country however, what they really need to do is to get their act together from the beginning and just floor it.

So the question is not really about whether they have the material or the game plan that could carry them to the medals - I think they've shown already that they do. However, will they have enough gas to keep it up when the more seasoned countries tap into their extra reserves once the games truly start to matter - that's still anybody's guess.

Hope they do, but fear that they don't.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:15 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
This needs to be quoted, because it really hits the nail in the head.

So the question is not really about whether they have the material or the game plan that could carry them to the medals - I think they've shown already that they do. However, will they have enough gas to keep it up when the more seasoned countries tap into their extra reserves once the games truly start to matter - that's still anybody's guess.

Hope they do, but fear that they don't.
I do not see "gas" as a problem in this WC. In the (+/-5years) past, i saw them fighting 2 times more than the others, therefore the "gas" issue was very present.
On top of that, they had issues like many games in a row.
This year, things are similar to the WC's that took place on the same year than the olympics games in Vancouver, they play at a cruising speed.
If they do not qualify, it will be because they had a bad game or because the opponent built up during the tournament or received material reinforcement from the NHL during the WC's or had an amazing game with outstanding goalkeeping. (Germany in the year of the olympics in Vancouver).

The QF, SF or Final ... is a question of 1 game. So anything can happen ... and in both senses.

Old
05-11-2013, 03:07 AM
Virtanen2Horvat
BoHorvat53

vCash: 589
If they do I say bronze maybe silver.

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:53 AM
tony d
Team Canada

I think they win the bronze.

05-14-2013, 01:23 PM
starttomelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by starttomelt View Post
yeah, this. unfortunately.

we hardly ever get slaughtered by the big 7 anymore, it's the presumably weaker teams we struggle with. I remember too many - unnecessary - losses against France or Germany so I can't really be too optimistic right now. Let's talk again if we win all games in the Preliminary round (which seems absolutely possible right now)
Okay, then. Let's talk about it

Well, I'm still not convinced that we're actually gonna medal here.

starttomelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Uncle Rotter

They play in the QF against a Czech team which just beat Norway 7-0. If they win that, it's probably Russia or USA in the SF.

Uncle Rotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:29 PM
canucksfan100

Swiss next Hockey Powerhouse?

They have a bunch of young talent coming up, not to mention the Swiss League is becoming more competitive, do you think they can become up to the level of a USA, Sweden etc.

canucksfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:48 PM
SwissLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
They play in the QF against a Czech team which just beat Norway 7-0. If they win that, it's probably Russia or USA in the SF.
Czech Republic, then Russia and in the final Canada!

Just 3 more wins!

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:59 PM
koh19

At this point, I think the Swiss can beat anyone, even Canada, Sweden and Russia. Their mindset is different this year, they aren't afraid of pushing around and playing physical hockey.

I mean really, who would have thought that the Swiss would be first in the tournament after the qualifying round. Why not shoot for the stars!

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:10 PM
that is unfortunate
woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
now that the Czech Republic and Slovakia seem to be in decline.
Gold in 2010, bronze in 2011 and 2012, I don't think we're doing that bad.

that is unfortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Hesher
Sagan for President

vCash: 50
The Czechs will beat them so no, they won't medal.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:33 PM
ficohok*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher View Post
The Czechs will beat them so no, they won't medal.
I agree...they suck...as they showed already in this tournament.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Huffman

It's very hard to beat the same team twice in these tournaments, it would be very impressive if they could beat the Czechs in the quarterfinal. I'll be cheering for the Swiss but I think the Czechs will win.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote