HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Bobby Ryan next season...

View Poll Results: What will happen with Bobby Ryan?
He will be traded 50 65.79%
He will be re-signed 11 14.47%
Something else 15 19.74%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-06-2013, 06:14 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Staal for Ryan - yes (provided what we add isn't too significant). Girardi for Ryan is intriguing but the Rags would have to add.

Question - which side does Staal play more often. We have a ton of LDs and a shortage of RDs.
The left side, but Staal is a versatile player, I'm sure he can moved to the right side.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Selanne138

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
No, you really don't. Trades aren't just made on the basis of value.
No, YOU really dont. But I really do. I think that swap makes our team better and Id pull the trigger if its an expendable asset that we add.

Obviously it depends on Murray's view on adding another forward, but if he adds another Top 6 guy somewhere Id make that trade.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
The latter.
Ok well the way I see it - Beauchemin is the only guy I'd consider a top pairing guy on the team at the moment. Fowler has the potential but is still better off playing second pairing minutes (there have been stretches of games where he's been our best defenseman but there have been other stretches where he still needs sheltering and he looks a bit off).

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Ok well the way I see it - Beauchemin is the only guy I'd consider a top pairing guy on the team at the moment. Fowler has the potential but is still better off playing second pairing minutes (there have been stretches of games where he's been our best defenseman but there have been other stretches where he still needs sheltering and he looks a bit off).
Do you think that Fowler is going to remain that way?

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
No, YOU really dont. But I really do. I think that swap makes our team better and Id pull the trigger if its an expendable asset that we add.

Obviously it depends on Murray's view on adding another forward, but if he adds another Top 6 guy somewhere Id make that trade.
Two top six guys with that trade.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Yeah, Fowler is still a bit inconsistent, but that's fairly typical of young players. The fact that Boudreau feels comfortable with matching him up against Datsyuk really says something, in my opinion. That, combined with the offensive potential, makes me think Fowler will be our best defenseman sooner rather than later.

05-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Do you think that Fowler is going to remain that way?
I doubt it. I think he'll be a number one defenseman within a few years. But even then I still think we could use a guy like Staal - not only for the immediate future but also long term to play with Fowler. It never hurts to have too many quality blueliners IMO.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I doubt it. I think he'll be a number one defenseman within a few years. But even then I still think we could use a guy like Staal - not only for the immediate future but also long term to play with Fowler. It never hurts to have too many quality blueliners IMO.
It does hurt if you don't have enough forwards for your top six, though. This season we have five(well, four, but Bonino progressed there by the end), plus a revolving door on the left side. If Teemu leaves, Palmieri looks like he might be ready to take the second line vacancy, but you still have that turnstile on the left side. Move Ryan and you add a second wild card spot on the left side. That top six is worse than any we've had in the last few years. We also won't have much cap space to fix it, since Staal only gives us back a little over a million. Looking at the market, you're probably going to need about 5 to 7 million per spot(the lower end being the least reliable).

Old
05-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
It does hurt if you don't have enough forwards for your top six, though. This season we have five(well, four, but Bonino progressed there by the end), plus a revolving door on the left side. If Teemu leaves, Palmieri looks like he might be ready to take the second line vacancy, but you still have that turnstile on the left side. Move Ryan and you add a second wild card spot on the left side. That top six is worse than any we've had in the last few years. We also won't have much cap space to fix it, since Staal only gives us back a little over a million. Looking at the market, you're probably going to need about 5 to 7 million per spot(the lower end being the least reliable).
I absolutely see your point but I think there are going to be a few more options on the trade market this offseason with the cap going down. We've got enough young assets now that I think we can afford to start moving them for proven players.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I absolutely see your point but I think there are going to be a few more options on the trade market this offseason with the cap going down. We've got enough young assets now that I think we can afford to start moving them for proven players.
Which is why I'm saying that until we know what's going to be there, it shouldn't be an automatic yes. The trade is fine in principle, but till we actually land a capable replacement - I think it has to be a vet with Bonino and Palmieri's experience level - it's far from a perfect fit. We probably need to move Souray at that point, too, which seems doable.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Which is why I'm saying that until we know what's going to be there, it shouldn't be an automatic yes. The trade is fine in principle, but till we actually land a capable replacement - I think it has to be a vet with Bonino and Palmieri's experience level - it's far from a perfect fit. We probably need to move Souray at that point, too, which seems doable.
I agree about that.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
I agree about that.
I can agree with that too. Moving Ryan is definitely contingent on adequate replacements.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:40 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

I voted for something else. Clearly, Ryan is going to become the Ducks' franchise player and carry the RPG line next season and for years to come.

#YouthMovement

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:38 AM
Jesus Teemu

I'd have no problem moving Bobby. Not a fan of his at all but you'd need replace his offense.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:14 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I voted for something else. Clearly, Ryan is going to become the Ducks' franchise player and carry the RPG line next season and for years to come.

#YouthMovement
Ryan is older than 25. He's too old for a youth movement.

I think Ryan is gone at the draft or soon after UFA season starts. I always thought he would be moved if the twins were re-signed. They have, so he's gone.

I'm not sure I would want to do it for Staal though. We lack high end established D talent, but we have high end YOUTH coming up. I always envisioned moving him for two second line pieces (including a center).

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post

I think Ryan is gone at the draft or soon after UFA season starts. I always thought he would be moved if the twins were re-signed. They have, so he's gone.

I'm not sure I would want to do it for Staal though. We lack high end established D talent, but we have high end YOUTH coming up. I always envisioned moving him for two second line pieces (including a center).
Yes. A Staal trade is tempting but we're too thin up front if we move Ryan for D. IMO the ideal Ryan trade is a quality for quantity trade at forward. But the quantity coming back still needs to be quality, with maybe one piece being a lot more potential than current quality.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:37 AM
AngelDuck

At this point, I don't really even care that much. Bobby is pretty much a lost cause based on his last two seasons. Just get rid of him and move on.

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:26 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post

Apparently, my humor and sarcasm are lost on some.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:06 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Apparently, my humor and sarcasm are lost on some.
I got it. That was a feeble attempt at a joke back on how all good players become irrelevant after a quarter of a century.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:03 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

I don't have a problem moving Ryan for another first pairing defenseman. As long as we're talking about a guy that can move his feet and pass the puck. That's what we need.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

I would love to move Bobby for a top pairing defender like Edler or Staal. If we are moving him for depth then I pass.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Yeah, Fowler is still a bit inconsistent, but that's fairly typical of young players. The fact that Boudreau feels comfortable with matching him up against Datsyuk really says something, in my opinion. That, combined with the offensive potential, makes me think Fowler will be our best defenseman sooner rather than later.
Can we ship off Ryan+sbisa for a 2nd line center and a top dman? And move Etem and Palms up to top 6 once Selanne is gone?

Do you see that viable or not Soj. Etem is proving he's top 6 worthy this season and in the playoffs. He seems definitely dependable and reliable unlike streaky bobby who has been completely invisible this season.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Can we ship off Ryan+sbisa for a 2nd line center and a top dman? And move Etem and Palms up to top 6 once Selanne is gone?

Do you see that viable or not Soj. Etem is proving he's top 6 worthy this season and in the playoffs. He seems definitely dependable and reliable unlike streaky bobby who has been completely invisible this season.
What team would givbe up a #2 C and top pairing defender for Bobby+Sbisa.....

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
What team would givbe up a #2 C and top pairing defender for Bobby+Sbisa.....
We may have to add a bit. But I wouldn't mind shopping those two around as a package and seeing what Murray can get for those two. I understand top d man don't come cheap, but neither do consistent proven 30 goal forwards. He just may need a change of scenery to get back to form.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 03:23 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
Season is going to end.

Its going to be announced Bobby is going for some sort of surgery to repair something.

Everyone on this board goes AHHHH told you he was hurt!

Comes back a month late into start of next year and leads league in scoring at the end.

Maybe...

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote